JonBenke

2010 Michigan Football

If Forcier is healthy, he should win the QB job.

Understatement..

If Forcier gets hurt, UM will win one B10 game again and RROD will be coaching at VMI in 2011. Book that.

If Forcier is healthy, Michigan should go to a bowl.

I still think Hopson was a bad LB coach. The entire LB unit regressed and/or underperformed in my opinion. I guess Robinson is taking over the LB coaching duties and RR will hire a DB coach. Robinson coached DB's last year.

Was Robinson DB coach last year? I thought he just coached the Stevie Brown position, and Tony Gibson was DB coach.

At any rate, I really do think Robinson is a good D coach and am hoping for LB improvement.....it's actually critical that they improve.

OK, riddle me this on Obi.....and I don't pretend to be an expert just posing the question. He finished his first season as an honorable mention All-Big Ten Conference selection. And he got on the midseason Butkus Award watchlist. Then he got thrown on the bench. What's up with all that????

Ezeh gets press because he gets a lot of tackles....because he's a middle linebacker. He isn't very good. Takes bad angles all the time, is terrible dropping back in coverage, makes terrible reads, gets burned regularly.

What they discovered at the end of the year is that Ezeh and Mouton are a lot better when they don't have to think about what they're doing. When they blitzed, they did quite well.

Ergo, since Ezeh is fairly large for an MLB, there is a lot of talk to moving him to the Dline as an end. But that can only happen if they can find a suitable replacement. Fitzgerald showed flashes last year, but also made a lot of the same mistakes.

Honest question: why do people think Robinson is a good coordinator? I'm not saying he's bad because I don't know enough about football to say one way or the other, but what is the evidence that he's any good?

Has the Michigan defense done enough to warrant a positive or negative grade on the coordinator? This year should be telling.

If next season is anything like this thread, we're looking at another losing record.

This year you didn't start the thread.

Benke has the magic touch. I hear the Tigers are trying to sign him...

Honest question: why do people think Robinson is a good coordinator? I'm not saying he's bad because I don't know enough about football to say one way or the other, but what is the evidence that he's any good?

Has the Michigan defense done enough to warrant a positive or negative grade on the coordinator? This year should be telling.

I am not a very big fan of Robinson as a coordinator, but I think given his experience in the NFL it's reasonable to at least think he's going to be decent at coaching. And really I don't think I've ever been happy with Michigan's defensive coordinators, if they get some more talent I doubt he'll annoy me any more than the others have.

I give Robinson a thumbs up for sporting an old school Michigan sweater to their football games. Makes him look like one of those old-school 80 year old male cheerleaders that show up to every homecoming game.

Coaching wise, I have no idea. If he can bring Michigan's D up to an average Big Ten defense this year, that will be a major success.

Was Robinson DB coach last year? I thought he just coached the Stevie Brown position, and Tony Gibson was DB coach.

At any rate, I really do think Robinson is a good D coach and am hoping for LB improvement.....it's actually critical that they improve.

Robinson coached the safeties and outside linebackers.

A position coach is much better when he has players that can run his system. If the secondary improves, the entire defense will improve ... and UM will go to a bowl game. If not, RRod may be looking for work.

If Forcier gets hurt, UM will win one B10 game again and RROD will be coaching at VMI in 2011. Book that.

I disagree, though it'd burn Devin Gardner's red-shirt. A combo package of Gardner and Denard Robinson could work.

Don't expect Denard Robinson to not get better.

If Forcier is healthy, Michigan should go to a bowl.

That's not good enough.

I disagree, though it'd burn Devin Gardner's red-shirt. A combo package of Gardner and Denard Robinson could work.

Don't expect Denard Robinson to not get better.

That's not good enough.

No Forcier = Automatic 8-man front. To date, neither Robinson nor Gardner have given any reliable indications that they could take advantage of that fact.

Gardner is a great recruit for Michigan - and frankly Robinson is a better fit (than Forcier) for what Rodriguez has shown he wants to do offensively - and given some time, both appear to have everything that Rodriguez' could want in a QB. That said, I frankly agree with sportz, no Forcier (for an extended period) = substantially less than a 50% bowl probability.

And that's your opinion, though again .. to expect that Denard Robinson won't get better, is foolish.

Who said he wouldn't get better? That said, when it comes to keeping a defense honest by being able to effectively move the ball through the air...Well, let's just say he wasn't exactly a stone's throw away!

Who said he wouldn't get better? That said, when it comes to keeping a defense honest by being able to effectively move the ball through the air...Well, let's just say he wasn't exactly a stone's throw away!

Robinson should be better, especially throwing the ball, because by the end of the year defenses had renedered him one dimensional and nearly useless.

I'm sure Denard Robinson will improve as a passer, but it's a big step from "improves to being a moderate thread allowing him to be successful running" and "actually improves to the point he can be an effective passer"

I think he can do the first one, but not the second

Michigan football team promotes Adam Braithwaite to assistant coach | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Michigan football team promotes Adam Braithwaite to assistant coach

After going six weeks short one defensive assistant, Michigan filled the spot today with a familiar face.

Adam Braithwaite, who served as a staff assistant the past two years, was named the strong safeties/outside linebackers coach as part of a restructuring of the defensive staff.

Defensive coordinator Greg Robinson will now coach the inside linebackers, the position held by Jay Hopson the past two seasons. Hopson left in December to become Memphis’ defensive coordinator.

Tony Gibson, who previously coached the entire secondary, now will coach the cornerbacks and free safeties, while adding special teams duties.

Previously, no specific coach had special teams under his responsibilities -- all contributed. That group approach will continue, even with Gibson as the coordinator.

Promoting Braithwaite was an interesting choice, if only because Rodriguez in January said he had done work toward making a hire at the coaching convention in Orlando.

“We are excited to promote Adam to be our safeties/outside linebackers coach,” Rodriguez said in a released statement. “He has been a loyal, hardworking member of our staff for several years and knows our system. I believe he will bring a lot of energy both in coaching and recruiting.”

Braithwaite has a history with Rodriguez prior to Michigan, having served as a defensive graduate assistant for two years at West Virginia (2005-06).

He played four years as a defensive back at William & Mary in 1997-2001.

Is it just me, or is our assistant coach structure a giant mess?

The whole way that RR handles his coaches on the defensive side is a bit disturbing. Is it really that hard to find a good coach to teach linebackers at UM? For that matter, why was Robinson even hired? Seems to me that DC/OC should be a breeding ground for future head coaches and that UM should be picking the best and brightest for those positions.

With all of the drama that is UM football right now; NCAA investigation, 8-16, lovefest with local newspaper, internal disputes.... I doubt that it is a popular destination for high profile asst coaches.

Michigan's Cam Gordon ready to switch positions from receiver to safety - AnnArbor.com

Michigan's Cam Gordon ready to switch positions from receiver to safety

Inevitably, when Cam Gordon made a big special-teams hit or laid a crushing block on the scout team last year, Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Robinson was there saying, “Ooh, you’d make a hell of a safety.”

This offseason, every time Gordon showed up for a weight-room workout or extra receiving practice, he’d bump into Robinson, strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis or new safeties coach Adam Braithwaite.

“The coaches would always be like, ‘Come to the dark side, come to the dark side,” Gordon said.

A few weeks ago, he did.

After playing receiver during his redshirt year, Gordon told coaches last month he was open to switching positions. He’ll play safety this spring, and at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds already is one of Michigan’s most physically imposing defensive backs.

“I just wanted to help the team,” Gordon said last week at a charity function for Michigan’s intramural sports programs. “That was my whole outlook on it. However possibly way I could help the team, that’s what I was doing, so if free safety was the position than that’s the position for me.”

Gordon started at both receiver and safety at Inkster High School as a senior - he played linebacker as a junior at Melvindale - and had five interceptions.

He said he’s not sure if he’ll play any offense this spring, but with a chance to contribute in Michigan’s thin secondary he’s spending most of his time learning the defense and getting reacquainted with defensive back.

“It’s all about getting prepared,” Gordon said. “I can’t say this is going to happen. Nothing’s guaranteed, but we’ll see how spring ball goes.”

Still, Gordon sounds like he’s ready to call his new position home.

He came to Michigan with designs on being a big-play receiver and maybe catching touchdown passes from Devin Gardner, his former quarterback at Inkster. Now, Gordon said he can't wait to intercept Gardner.

“All of them will get it,” Gordon said. “Tate (Forcier), Gardner, Denard (Robinson), all of them. I’m picking all of them off. They already know. Seven-on-seven, I’m like, ‘Don’t throw it to me.’ I say no over the top balls. Never. They know that.”

Just no walk-ons on defense this year, please.

Amen. I am interested in seeing what Greg Robinson does in year two. I don't think he's as bad as he seemed last year. More talent will help.

The fact that he turned Stevie Brown into a decent player, gives me hope.

Oh, and as long as Jordan Kovacs doesn't have to defend any deep balls ... that'll help.

Amen. I am interested in seeing what Greg Robinson does in year two. I don't think he's as bad as he seemed last year. More talent will help.

The fact that he turned Stevie Brown into a decent player, gives me hope.

Oh, and as long as Jordan Kovacs doesn't have to defend any deep balls ... that'll help.

If he can make Obi Ezeh into just a SEMI-decent player, that would be a miracle.

I think the best thing for Ezeh might be what the best thing for Brown was: a position switch. Make him a rush DE or something, because a position like middle linebacker where he needs to make reads quickly obviously isn't his forte.