CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

What was I thinking? How dare I say the Tigers should sign some good players. I'm sorry everyone my IQ isn't as good as ya'lls is. When we win 74 games next year and our team hitting average is .260 while Clete Thomas has 400 abs and hits .230 to go along with our other everyday .230 hitters (inge,laird and everett) I'll remember you guys didn't want a guy who hit .300 last season and only has a careEr .338 obp even though we would've loved for our leadoff guy to have that last year. GO TIGERS ROOOAAAR!!!!

What was I thinking? How dare I say the Tigers should sign some good players. I'm sorry everyone my IQ isn't as good as ya'lls is. When we win 74 games next year and our team hitting average is .260 while Clete Thomas has 400 abs and hits .230 to go along with our other everyday .230 hitters (inge,laird and everett) I'll remember you guys didn't want a guy who hit .300 last season and only has a careEr .338 obp even though we would've loved for our leadoff guy to have that last year. GO TIGERS ROOOAAAR!!!!

does it make you wonder about the value of a middle infielder, with a .383 OBP and a .810 OPS in 2009, who is sitting in Feb, waiting for his phone to ring..I mean 30 teams can't be wrong can they..it could be more than teams know he had a career year...

What to do -- sign Damon or not ? There are NO other suitors, so, how low will Damon/Boras go and will they sign a 1-year only deal? I'm still and advocate of going to ST with what we have today, see what happens then and Damon's $demands will go lower by the day................now THAT would be negotiation!..

We all know we're going to sign him, it's just a matter of how much, how long (contract) and when we sign him

The Reds are a suitor

The Reds have less money than the Tigers and are a horrible franchise at the moment, he'll never play for them...............

Besides, with Stubbs, Dickerson and Bruce, why would they want an older player like Damon except as a coach? They don't pay outfield coaches 5+M per year.

Reds are no serious contender for Damon

Did you see THIS in the Freep today ?

Is it as apparent to you as it is me that Damon/Boras are getting nervous?

Johnny Damon likes Yzerman, Tigers | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Don't look now, but, seems to me like Damon/Boras are getting nervous having no suitors. Selling hard in Detroit --they're trying hard to sell, sell, sell

With NO other buyers out there, this IS Boras' job, but will Detroit bite and at what price?

Edited by baseball3

If Damon drops to one year, 6/7 million - I would say SOLD.

Like I've said, PATIENCE is on our side and our best asset --

Sure, we're going to sign him, but, when and terms are the only thing to yet be determined.

A signing during spring training will bring the price down to a more palatable number. PATIENCE

Like I've said, PATIENCE is on our side and our best asset --

Sure, we're going to sign him, but, when and terms are the only thing to yet be determined.

A signing during spring training will bring the price down to a more palatable number. PATIENCE

If it's a tie, does he sign with the Tigers? Most likely his interest in them is because he and Boras think the Tigers will offer the most money, otherwise they wouldn't be running this PR campaign.

I think the cheapest scenario is 1 year $5M, with $6M more likely; any less he signs somewhere else.

Don't look now, but, seems to me like Damon/Boras are getting nervous having no suitors. Selling hard in Detroit --they're trying hard to sell, sell, sell

With NO other buyers out there, this IS Boras' job, but will Detroit bite and at what price?

"When he and I go to a Greek restaurant, he always orders octopus," Boras said.

Wow, he must really love Detroit then.

]Like I've said' date=' PATIENCE is on our side and our best asset --[/b']

I agree. I really like DD but in the past he has, at times "jumped the gun" a bit. In this case patience, certainly is, a virtue.:happy:

I LOVED the line about always ordering octopus when Boras and Damon go out for Italian!

I fully expect to hear later that Damon used to wear Pistons underoos when he was a youngster. If he still isn't signed by the end of the week I imagine we'll hear that he wants to mentor Matt Stafford in the finer arts of throwing a ball too.

I strongly dislike Boras and it gives me a sense of satisfaction to see him screw things up for one of his clients (or maybe Damon just screwed himself over on this one).

With that said, the longer this drags out, the more I want Damon in Detroit. He is one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball and would be a pretty big addition to our lineup, even though we don't have a dire need for a corner outfielder right now. Give him an incentive laden contract...just get to Detroit.

If he still isn't signed by the end of the week I imagine we'll hear that he wants to mentor Matt Stafford in the finer arts of throwing a ball too.

I guess he could help on the short routes...

Here's the problem- Neither Damon nor Lopez is going to keep Laird/Everett/Inge from playing a single game next year.

Further, if Austin Jackson doesn't work out in CF, then neither Damon or Lopez can play CF (Damon isn't a good LF, much less someone that can play CF in Comerica).

Yes, the Tigers have offensive problems next year. I think Damon will help to some degree, as he gives them some insurance if Guillen blows up..But the basic fact is, we aren't going to be very good offensively..

Rob

Here's the problem- Neither Damon nor Lopez is going to keep Laird/Everett/Inge from playing a single game next year.

Further, if Austin Jackson doesn't work out in CF, then neither Damon or Lopez can play CF (Damon isn't a good LF, much less someone that can play CF in Comerica).

Yes, the Tigers have offensive problems next year. I think Damon will help to some degree, as he gives them some insurance if Guillen blows up..But the basic fact is, we aren't going to be very good offensively..

Rob

I don't think we're going to be an offensive machine, but to relegate us to futility is a little one sided.

Laird has been much better than 2009, when his at bats were limited, if Inge produces similar offensive numbers to 2009 with a .255 BA..thats fine..there are other upsides to be derived from Ordonez and Guillen.

Everett is no doubt an offenisve liability..but with our pitching he is a worthwhile trade off..

The thing that despises me is the d r o o l that Boras has now created over trying to get Detroit to sign Damon.

This latest article alone should drop the price by at least $2M......

There are NO OTHER SUITORS -- NO rush -- Negotiation time with the Tigers holding all the leverage. You gotta love these situations, they hardly ever come along -- let's make the most of this opportunity and get him at a basement price!

I don't think we're going to be an offensive machine, but to relegate us to futility is a little one sided.

Laird has been much better than 2009, when his at bats were limited, if Inge produces similar offensive numbers to 2009 with a .255 BA..thats fine..there are other upsides to be derived from Ordonez and Guillen.

Everett is no doubt an offenisve liability..but with our pitching he is a worthwhile trade off..

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "futility", but I'd say that a likely scenario is that the Tigers score roughly the same number of runs as last year.

This assumes that they are much worse in CF, much better at DH, better in LF, and about the same offensively everywhere else.

I don't see Ordonez being a lot better than his final numbers last year. I think Guillen will improve DH considerably.

There are places to improve beyond that, but it will require Laird getting less AB, and I don't believe that will happen. Or Jackson/Sizemore being much better than I'd expect them to be in 2010.

All quite possible, just not, to my mind, terribly probable.

Rob

If we're going to get Damon and Lopez....why let Polanco go and trade Granderson away?

Seriously. We wouldnt save any money and we'd downgrade our offense and defense AND block the young players out of steady playing time.

Damon is a fan of Yzerman. Fantastic.....Guess that means he belongs here!

You know what monkeytargets37 is a fan of? Outfielders under the age of 35 that can get the ball back into the infield on the fly.

If we're going to get Damon and Lopez....why let Polanco go and trade Granderson away?

Seriously. We wouldnt save any money and we'd downgrade our offense and defense AND block the young players out of steady playing time.

Damon is a fan of Yzerman. Fantastic.....Guess that means he belongs here!

You know what monkeytargets37 is a fan of? Outfielders under the age of 35 that can get the ball back into the infield on the fly.

I agree signing Lopez doesn't make much sense unless it is as a backup 2b/ss/3b. However, it still makes sense to trade Granderson if we get Damon as we got Granderson's likely long term replacement - who won't be blocked this season if ready, and we improved both the rotation and bullpen for both the short and long term.

The only younger player I would see likely "blocked" by Damon would be Thomas, as I think most of his AB's will come from Maggs/Guillen with Raburn playing all 3 positions and Jackson (if ready) getting approx 400-500 PA's. On another thread (I think) I calculated that there were approximately 2600 PA's to go between LF/RF/DH so even if those were divided between Raburn/Damon/Guillen/Ordonez, each would average roughly 600 PA's (hopefully Maggs would be closer to 500 than over 540). So in other words, I don't see any young players hurt and I still think it's likely that Thomas would end up with around 300 PA's (assuming Jackson starts in center) so I don't see any problem at all in signing Damon to a 1 year deal.

Johnny Damon owns 37 Chryslers, 27 Chevys, and 42 Fords. He listens to Sonny Elliot every day on his drive home,

and has a one-tenth model of the giant tire in his front yard.

But seriously, Damon would be a great one-year stop-gap. I don't know if Jackson, Strieby, Ramirez, Wells, Thomas are quite ready to make a big contribution in 2009. Why not have a bridge to them? You know Guillen will get injured at some point.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

The problem with this line of thinking is that we say this every year about Inge: "if only he could hit .255, then..." But the chances of this happening are not very good. We could probably just as well say the thing about Adam Everett.

I do not believe our lineup is hopeless but it certainly scares me having Inge, Everett, Jackson, and Laird/Avila set to get a ton of ab's this year. Not to mention another rookie at second base who is going to have a lot more pressure on him to hit because of all the other sissy hitters in our lineup.

I will throw this out there and say I do not believe it would be a bad move to give Damon a two year deal. I would not have said this a month ago. But I really believe Damon is a guy who keeps himself in great shape, has probably never juiced, and his numbers show no signs of declining. He will play this year at 36 years old and I think he has at least two more years of good baseball in him. I would not expect the power numbers he has had recently to continue but that is not why I want the Tigers to sign him anyways. And I do not really see the young players he is supposedly going to block as being everyday players either(with the exception of maybe Raburn).