CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

It's not spin if it's fact. The Granderson/Jackson trade gave us four players, younger and possibly better players going forward ... that was a nice start.

Well, there are two sides to every story. I could have created a much more negative look at the off season if I needed too. I just gave one perspective and I wouldn't say anything I wrote is a fact.

Only expansion teams do that..would you prefer one of those..young players without the requirement of some standard of perfromance are called minor leaguers..

How short should the rope be for non-expansion teams?

Different rope for different players..

Well, obviously, but there should be some general numbers that apply. There should be a, hmmm, ballpark figure for a position player pertaining to at-bats, fielding, BA, OBP, errors, etc. For instance, I don't think it's possible to get a good read from 25 at-bats.

Well, obviously, but there should be some general numbers that apply. There should be a, hmmm, ballpark figure for a position player pertaining to at-bats, fielding, BA, OBP, errors, etc. For instance, I don't think it's possible to get a good read from 25 at-bats.

Nope, I leave that to Dombrowski and Leyland

You can never get a good read on a player over a small sample size of data. That is where scouting comes into play. If they don't think a guy is ready, they shouldn't let what he accomplished or failed to accomplish in a small set of games influence their thinking. They also shouldn't have a set number of at bats or innings pitched or a minimum OBP or ERA or anything like that determine if a guy should stay up. There is too much variability in stats over a small sample to let that influence how they construct their roster.

You can never get a good read on a player over a small sample size of data. That is where scouting comes into play. If they don't think a guy is ready, they shouldn't let what he accomplished or failed to accomplish in a small set of games influence their thinking. They also shouldn't have a set number of at bats or innings pitched or a minimum OBP or ERA or anything like that determine if a guy should stay up. There is too much variability in stats over a small sample to let that influence how they construct their roster.

Ideally, I think a highly rated minor leaguer needs 200 at-bats in a short period of time(say 60 or so games in 70 or so days) to get a good feel for him. Let him settle in a bit and get into a rhythm. It's a good thing the Internets weren't around for Willie Mays' slow start.

It's a good thing the Internets weren't around for Willie Mays' slow start.

Why? My post you responded to emphasized that stats don't tell you much in a small sample size. So, if Mays did get off to a slow start, I wouldn't have been worried b/c I know that anyone can have a bad stretch of games. I would have trusted his talent and scout evaluators in making the correct decision in leaving him up to play. Likewise, if Sizemore or Jackson get off to bad starts, I'm not going to look into it too much. Or, if they get off to hot starts, I'm not going to think that we are in the clear. It goes both ways. I generally just trust DD and our talent evaluators in decisions like that. Over a large sample, I can get a pretty good read on a player. Over a small sample size of data, I have very little knowledge about how a player is actually performing and just leave it to the experts.

Edited by Scottwood

Not to just pick on your statement because I've herd so many similar remarks to this, but other than this year (with Sizemore, Jackson and Avila getting a chance), which young players have the Tigers organization had, that didn't get a chance and that were actually in a position to deserve a chance. Too many people get wrapped up in prospects who have been around the minor league system for a while, in which that some people had predicted to become a part of the future 3-5 years ago.

In general....I agree with you. But the Tigers should have given Cody Ross, Jurrjens, Ryan Ludwick, Carlos Pena, Jose Lima, Phil Nevin, Jamie Moyer, Luis Gonzalez, Francisco Cordero, and Jason Fraser better chances. But either way.....that doesn't make us that much of a better team over the past 15 years.

Why? My post you responded to emphasized that stats don't tell you much in a small sample size. So, if Mays did get off to a slow start, I wouldn't have been worried b/c I know that anyone can have a bad stretch of games. I would have trusted his talent and scout evaluators in making the correct decision in leaving him up to play. Likewise, if Sizemore or Jackson get off to bad starts, I'm not going to look into it too much. Or, if they get off to hot starts, I'm not going to think that we are in the clear. It goes both ways. I generally just trust DD and our talent evaluators in decisions like that. Over a large sample, I can get a pretty good read on a player. Over a small sample size of data, I have very little knowledge about how a player is actually performing and just leave it to the experts.

So, basically, we agree then. A player needs some time beyond a few games. I said 200 at-bats, but you didn't quote that part.

So, basically, we agree then. A player needs some time beyond a few games. I said 200 at-bats, but you didn't quote that part.

I don't necessarily agree. Giving a guy too many at bats to get things straightened out could cost your team. That is why scouting and picking out a player's mechanical flaws before its too late is important. I don't think there should be any set number of at bats that a guy gets. It depends on the player and the situation and what the talent evaluators say is best.

Get Damon and Lopez and I become very excited for this years Tigers.

2b lopez

rf ordonez

lf damon

1b cabrera

dh guillen

cf jackson

3b Cringe

c laird/avila

ss everett

really? Two bad defenders on the wrong side of 30? Plus... Lopez? You're ready to throw Sizemore under the bus before spring training even starts? Eeesh...

In general....I agree with you. But the Tigers should have given Cody Ross, Jurrjens, Ryan Ludwick, Carlos Pena, Jose Lima, Phil Nevin, Jamie Moyer, Luis Gonzalez, Francisco Cordero, and Jason Fraser better chances. But either way.....that doesn't make us that much of a better team over the past 15 years.

Ok if you start going back almost 15 years of course there are going to be a couple example. I was Carlos Pena's biggest fan but it wasn't going to happen in Detroit for him. It still took 2 and a half years from when he left Detroit to get things going. In the case of Jurrjens, I don't think the organization traded him because they were giving up on him, but it was more they had to move something of value to get something back (unfortunetly the value of Jurrgens was WAY to high). Same can be said for Cordero and Gonzo is as suspious as any who have not been busted for steroids.

Get Damon and Lopez and I become very excited for this years Tigers.

2b lopez

rf ordonez

lf damon

1b cabrera

dh guillen

cf jackson

3b Cringe

c laird/avila

ss everett

(insert Randy Smith joke here)

Yeah I guess you guys are right. Let's have a lineup completely void of lefties and count on 2 rookies to bat .280-.300. Fourth place in the central will be locked up by the Tigers for sure!

I don't care if the lineup is void of lefties if the righties on the team can hit righties. Most can't, sure. But Cabrera has basically no platoon split. Raburn's isn't huge, and Sizemore's splits in the minors are pretty narrow. I agree that there is some definite imbalance in the lineup but I'd rather not go out and sign Filipe ****ing Lopez, career .269/.338/.400 hitter to save the lineup. Not when Sizemore will almost certainly OPS a bit higher than .738.

FYI; I will keep looking, though I have yet to hear Johnny Damon's name connected to signing with the Braves. Is Boras making up competition for Detroit?

FYI; I will keep looking, though I have yet to hear Johnny Damon's name connected to signing with the Braves. Is Boras making up competition for Detroit?

My good work buddy is a big Braves fan, and Damon was on their radar a long while back this offseason, before they traded for Melky Cabrera. It would certainly make sense for them, but I haven't heard any out-loud interest from them in a while.

Eric - I know they mentioned him as the off-season started, though they are completely stacked in the OF, and have a complete youth movement going on out there.

They want to add a bat -- yes, but they'd prefer a 1B.

Lopez has had a bit of an odd career since he started playing nearly every day. Here are his Fangraphs WAR totals since 2005:

2005: 4.6

2006: 1.6

2007: 0.4

2008: 0.8

2009: 4.6

He was primarily a SS from 05 to 07 and has since shifted over to 2B in 08-09. CHONE projects him as basically a 2 win player in 2010.

Yeah I guess you guys are right. Let's have a lineup completely void of lefties and count on 2 rookies to bat .280-.300. Fourth place in the central will be locked up by the Tigers for sure!
Sizemore > Lopez, and might be just as good as the 2010 version of Polanco. I am open to signing Damon if the price is right though.

Sizemore > Lopez, and might be just as good as the 2010 version of Polanco. I am open to signing Damon if the price is right though.

Hey he might be right, all we have is young talent... screw that, the next lefty that calls, we sign them at whatever they want.

stat

I don't care if the lineup is void of lefties if the righties on the team can hit righties. Most can't, sure. But Cabrera has basically no platoon split. Raburn's isn't huge, and Sizemore's splits in the minors are pretty narrow. I agree that there is some definite imbalance in the lineup but I'd rather not go out and sign Filipe ****ing Lopez, career .269/.338/.400 hitter to save the lineup. Not when Sizemore will almost certainly OPS a bit higher than .738.

Yes, plus don't you want to develop some players... you aren't developing them by only letting them face lefties..