CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

That's not true in the least. Talk about over simplification.

First, you've omitted the loss of the 1st round draft pick attached to Valverde.

Second, you've omitted the fact that Rodney signed about a month before Valverde, which is a significant factor given that most free payroll dollars dried up during that period.

Market value is determined by what the market will bear, not by what others received. If you exclude the Tiger's offer to Valverde, what was the next best offer? Something between that offer and the Tiger's offer was what his market value was on the date he was signed. His value may have been higher (and probably was) earlier in the offseason. But either by his or his agent's decision, they turned down arbitration and waited... probably to his detriment.

OK, first, you can't count the cost of the draft pick for the Tigers and then not count it for the 'market.' Anybody that would have signed him would have lost a draft pick, and that of course figured in their valuing.

Second, by your logic, any FA signing is over market value, unless a guy is taking the 2nd best offer for some reason.

Thirdly, Valverde signed for $8M in arbitration last year. Street and Jenks and Soriano all got similar deals this year. Street and Soriano required players/prospects to acquire, and Valverde was better than Jenks. So I don't see why you wouldn't use actual players and contracts for a market comparison, instead of what you think his offers were.

Morosi and Rosenthal's latest, perhaps the Tigers are kicking the tires a bit?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/morosi-rosenthal-tigers-and-braves-interested-in-damon-020510

Here's a Morosi article from earlier in the week. I sure miss having Jon in Detroit:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Scott-Boras-seeks-deal-with-Detroit-Tigers-for-Johnny-Damon-020210

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

They could have Raburn or Guillen leadoff. What they really need is a left-handed hitter and signing Damon would address that. Right now they have a severe lefty/righty imbalance that other teams will exploit any chance they get.

Guillen can't run, will get hurt, and who knows what Raburn's going to do.

If the Tigers want to compete this year, adding an established left handed, leadoff hitter would only help them.

I'm particularly tired of the Tigers' "home remedy" attitude when it comes to their lineup. Do you really think we can count on Guillen for even 120 games? Especially in LF? We all know he'll play in LF for 5-10 games and that will be it.

Damon may not be quite what he once was but sadly, the Tigers need him, and he needs the Tigers.

Guillen is no burner, but he can swipe a few bags - and more importantly has an excellent OBP. I feel most fans overrate the impact of the stolen base.

Earl Weaver had it right, the best strategy in baseball is the 3-run homer, and you can't get those unless you have guys on base. Sure that's the case anywhere in the batting order, but having a good OBP guy batting ahead of Cabrera, Ordonez, etc. certainly can't hurt!

I've never understood batting Guillen behind Cabrera - makes zero sense to me.

I'd definitely hit Guillen 1st (without Damon) or 2nd (with him) I know he has a good OBP and is a smart player, but I just can't get too into that thought because of how likely it is that he'll be on the DL at least once.

Why not bat Magglio leadoff? Sure, he's about as moblie as the staute of Ty Cobb, but he gets on base at a pretty good rate. Even when he was terrible in the first half, his OBP was still better than Granderson.

I'd definitely hit Guillen 1st (without Damon) or 2nd (with him) I know he has a good OBP and is a smart player, but I just can't get too into that thought because of how likely it is that he'll be on the DL at least once.
True dat. I'm more worried about his shoulder than the legs - but as we know he's had issues with the wheels in the past also. I think a leg injury could happen at any spot in the lineup though.

I'd like to see this lineup, come opening day:

Damon

Sizemore

Guillen/Raburn

Cabrera

Ordonez

B. Inge

whoever

whoever

whoever

I've been told that "whoever" works for cheap, so what the heck.

Without Damon, I think the best lineup would be:

Guillen

Sizemore

Ordonez

Cabrera

Raburn

B. Inge

etc.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

I'd really wonder about Detroit's decision making if they go into 2010 thinking that Guillen is going to be a near every-day contributor. Honestly I think they will be lucky if they get 120 good games out of him. I see him playing decently for about 90-100 games, and maybe play another 15-20 games fighting through some sort of injury, be it a sore shoulder, bum hammy, whatever. But yeah, I would be shocked if he doesn't miss at least a month's worth of time due to various injuries.

Morosi and Rosenthal's latest, perhaps the Tigers are kicking the tires a bit?

Sources say Tigers and Braves interested in Johnny Damon - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Here's a Morosi article from earlier in the week. I sure miss having Jon in Detroit:

Morosi: Damon to Detroit is a possibility - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

what is interesting --- in both artickes there is no sources cited, as IF all the information about calls to Illich, and the Tigers pursuing Damon is so common, you don't even need to cite it.

Yet, it is not

which

makes this article more real

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/79323-benke-wants-detroit-tiger.html

They could have Raburn or Guillen leadoff. What they really need is a left-handed hitter and signing Damon would address that. Right now they have a severe lefty/righty imbalance that other teams will exploit any chance they get.

Are you in favor of signing Damon?

I wish Damon would sign somewhere so the chatter about him would cease. I wouldn't mind having him on a one-year rental, but, at some point, the Tigers need to start having some faith in young players.

I wish Damon would sign somewhere so the chatter about him would cease. I wouldn't mind having him on a one-year rental, but, at some point, the Tigers need to start having some faith in young players.

TTF they're starting 2 and will likely add Avila to that mix..I think they are doing exactly what you're asking.

I think if the Tigers were even considering a multi-year deal, he'd already be signed. I am guessing they want a one year deal, and Damon is waiting it out, and waiting...

I am sure, the closer spring training comes, with no one wanting Damon, he'll sign a very nice one year deal with Detroit.

Are you in favor of signing Damon?

Depending on the contract probably yes. I think they have a chance to win the division and I'd like to see them correct the line-up imbalance. I was against it about a month ago, but now that Illitch has shown he's still willing to support a massive payroll, I say go for it.

Guillen can't run, will get hurt, and who knows what Raburn's going to do.

If the Tigers want to compete this year, adding an established left handed, leadoff hitter would only help them.

I'm particularly tired of the Tigers' "home remedy" attitude when it comes to their lineup. Do you really think we can count on Guillen for even 120 games? Especially in LF? We all know he'll play in LF for 5-10 games and that will be it.

Damon may not be quite what he once was but sadly, the Tigers need him, and he needs the Tigers.

I think they need Guillen to be reasonably healthy and Raburn to be productive in order to compete this year. On top of that they still need another hitter. Just picking up Damon and not having others come through won't be enough. If Guillen is going to be hurt and Raburn doesn't do much as you suggest, then I don't think getting Damon will matter.

Edited by tiger337

Not to just pick on your statement because I've herd so many similar remarks to this, but other than this year (with Sizemore, Jackson and Avila getting a chance), which young players have the Tigers organization had, that didn't get a chance and that were actually in a position to deserve a chance. Too many people get wrapped up in prospects who have been around the minor league system for a while, in which that some people had predicted to become a part of the future 3-5 years ago.

But the main idea that rubs me the wrong way, is people who say no to Damon because they think if the Tigers are going young at some positions that they need to basically go young everywhere, in order to see what other prospects can do as well. So basically tank a season.

Baseball is so different than other sports to the point where you can actually re-build on the go eaiser than other sports. One main reason for that is because the draft is such a crap shoot and signability issues with top prospects are dropping thier draft position to lower slots.

If they do sign Damon, they could probably spin the off season as follows:

They replaced Granderson's D in CF with Austin Jackson.

They replaced Granderson's O from the left side with Damon.

They upgraded their pitching staff going from Jackson to Scherzer.

They upgraded at closer going from Rodney to Valverde

They upgraded their depth in the bullpen with the additions of Coke and Schlereth.

Sizemore is only a slight downgrade from Polanco

And, unlike last year, they could get a full year out of Bonderman and better play from their #5 guy, along with continued development from Porcello and the same performance out of Verlander. Health and maturation from Perry and Zumaya could make a big difference in the back end of the pen, and getting healthy and productive years out of Guillen and Ordonez will add up to an improved offense.

And, they may end up being right.

They upgraded their depth in the bullpen with the additions of Coke and Schlereth.

And, unlike last year, they could get a full year out of Bonderman and better play from their #5 guy, along with continued development from Porcello and the same performance out of Verlander. Health and maturation from Perry and Zumaya could make a big difference in the back end of the pen, and getting healthy and productive years out of Guillen and Ordonez will add up to an improved offense.

This was exactly my thinking even BEFORE the possible addition of Damon (minus Damon's contribution, of course); and think adding Damon would give us an extra push towards the playoffs. Just enough... that we might actually make it...

This was exactly my thinking even BEFORE the possible addition of Damon (minus Damon's contribution, of course); and think adding Damon would give us an extra push towards the playoffs. Just enough... that we might actually make it...

Let's wait until the Allstar break, I htink Johnny D will still be around

It's not spin if it's fact. The Granderson/Jackson trade gave us four players, younger and possibly better players going forward ... that was a nice start.

TTF they're starting 2 and will likely add Avila to that mix..I think they are doing exactly what you're asking.

I know, but if they get off to a slow start, they might be shipped to the Hens. I think they need to let the young guys play without the fear of being demoted should they fail to produce at a high level. Let them fail and learn.

I know, but if they get off to a slow start, they might be shipped to the Hens. I think they need to let the young guys play without the fear of being demoted should they fail to produce at a high level. Let them fail and learn.

Only expansion teams do that..would you prefer one of those..young players without the requirement of some standard of perfromance are called minor leaguers..

Edited by sportz4life