CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

Yeah his method is the same but the difference is the Tigers came within one win of winning the division instead of one loss of tying the record for most losses in MLB history.

I'm actually kind of hoping they sign him now...... at first I thought no way but I'm coming around.

My mom is 80 years old on Thursday and she's always loved Damon, going back to his KC days. She doesn't follow baseball that closely to know all the guys on other teams but she does watch the Tigers every day and she has always had a thing for Damon. She just says "I like the way he plays." Sometimes that's all you need. So sign him up, make mom happy.

just asking --- which side does your mom hit from?

I ran some numbers on this possible deal

1) Johnny Damon kind of looks like Jesus

2) Johnny Damon said the Tigers Need a Savior

3) Johnny Damon said he could be that Savior

4) 'Damon' and 'Jesus' have the same number of letters

5) when Jesus tells you you need a savior, go with Johnny Damon

damonsm.gif

ink the deal --- might want to have him sign in blood

not really sure blasphemy is going to help us out this year.

I'd much rather go the Angels in The Outfield route...

Let's sign this guy

3aab8305543d826e293b528cbd4de2fb.jpg

I swear the Free Press reads this board & then prints the ideas. My bookmark for this site takes me to the home page with articles linked for the major sports. The first one on the Tigers' side today says something like "Is Boras reaching out to Mr. I?" It's attributed to Free Press Staff. If they're hiring, I'd be happy to just sit here & read the board all day & pull articles out of my ear.

I'd rather sign Adam Kennedy, but if it's a one year deal for Damon then okay. I don't see Boras letting Damon sign in Detroit for 1 year, after turning down a 1 year deal with the Skankees.

I would agree, then again Boras may not have any choice. Damon may have already tuned down his only multi year offer. No doubt he could help - but it has to work for the Tigers and a one year (Maybe team option/defered) modest salary (ala Vlad or Abreau last year, etc.) might be the best way to go. If Johnny D. gets a decent two year offer from someone else then he should take it.

Don't be shocked if that decent two-year offer is from the Tigers.......

Completely agree. I think it's a matter of WHEN not IF the Tiger's sign Damon. He fits the Leyland/ Dombrowski mold. Get er done, Dave.

Don't be shocked if that decent two-year offer is from the Tigers.......

That's a compelling hint...!!!

I guess it's time to be prepared for Looks Like Jesus, Throws Like Mary playing LF for us this year and next... :grin:

I'm ok with this.... I would prefer 1 year, but I understand the dynamics. It will be important to keep Clete thomas on the roster for flexibility abd defensive replacement purpose because we have a number of OF that can only play 1 position if we sign Damon.

Damon, Guillen, Raburn, Thomas = LF

AJ, Thomas = CF

Ordonez, Thomas = RF

IMO, we can't expect Raburn to play CF or RF unless it is an emergency situation.

I swear the Free Press reads this board & then prints the ideas. My bookmark for this site takes me to the home page with articles linked for the major sports. The first one on the Tigers' side today says something like "Is Boras reaching out to Mr. I?" It's attributed to Free Press Staff. If they're hiring, I'd be happy to just sit here & read the board all day & pull articles out of my ear.

Once in a while John Lowe writes a good article. Other that that, the Free Press just copies stuff from Fox or Yahoo or elsewhere. There has been little original coverage of the Tigers there since Morosi left.

Once in a while John Lowe writes a good article. Other that that, the Free Press just copies stuff from Fox or Yahoo or elsewhere. There has been little original coverage of the Tigers there since Morosi left.

Morosi is still the Free Press best source of Tiger inside info..without a Free press paycheck..

I'm actually kind of hoping they sign him now...... at first I thought no way but I'm coming around.

My mom is 80 years old on Thursday and she's always loved Damon, going back to his KC days. She doesn't follow baseball that closely to know all the guys on other teams but she does watch the Tigers every day and she has always had a thing for Damon. She just says "I like the way he plays." Sometimes that's all you need. So sign him up, make mom happy.

+1

I always thought it was a good idea to sign him, but I think it will definitely excite the fanbase quite a bit. People know Damon more than they know Valverde. He'll sell a few tickets for sure.

Lowe is still a good writer. They just don't seem to have him write very much anymore.

Edited by tiger337

Man, I wish the Tigers could get Damon on a one year deal, with either a mutual option for year two, or a vesting clause at the least. Otherwise I say give Raburn the full time job that he earned last season.

Raburn would be a plus RF with that cannon arm he has, but I never want to see him with an infield glove ever again.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

Not to toot my own horn, but in my first post in the "Tigers in on Valverde" thread, I called what his salary was going to be. He got fair market value for what a closer gets these days.

There's a difference between calling what his salary will be and paying Valverde a fair value.

If he got fair value, then there should have been several similar offers on the table. That's what tells you it's what the market says is fair. And while none of us knows what offers were on the table for Valverde, I believe it's a reasonable assumption that Detroit's offer easily exceeded the others, which means we over paid. If you believe he had other similar offers, I'd like to know who and what you think they were offering?

He definitely got fair market value. He's > Rodney + $2 mm.

That's not true in the least. Talk about over simplification.

First, you've omitted the loss of the 1st round draft pick attached to Valverde.

Second, you've omitted the fact that Rodney signed about a month before Valverde, which is a significant factor given that most free payroll dollars dried up during that period.

Market value is determined by what the market will bear, not by what others received. If you exclude the Tiger's offer to Valverde, what was the next best offer? Something between that offer and the Tiger's offer was what his market value was on the date he was signed. His value may have been higher (and probably was) earlier in the offseason. But either by his or his agent's decision, they turned down arbitration and waited... probably to his detriment.

There's a difference between calling what his salary will be and paying Valverde a fair value.

If he got fair value, then there should have been several similar offers on the table. That's what tells you it's what the market says is fair. And while none of us knows what offers were on the table for Valverde, I believe it's a reasonable assumption that Detroit's offer easily exceeded the others, which means we over paid. If you believe he had other similar offers, I'd like to know who and what you think they were offering?

Huh?? bmich..you cant say we don't know and we do know, in the same sentence..

One is fact, one is opinion..

Huh?? bmich..you cant say we don't know and we do know, in the same sentence..

One is fact, one is opinion..

I'm glad that's not what I said then.

I said I don't know, however, this is what I think is reasonable.

If you want to question why I think something is reasonable, that's fine and I'd probably have a response for you, but trying to twist my words (and doing a poor job of it) doesn't get you anywhere.

I'm glad that's not what I said then.

I said I don't know, however, this is what I think is reasonable.

If you want to question why I think something is reasonable, that's fine and I'd probably have a response for you, but trying to twist my words (and doing a poor job of it) doesn't get you anywhere.

bmich..we dont know..believe me we dont know..and why would they tell us...

Now you can say..you think they overpaid and you dont believe anyone else was offering near that type offer.

lighten up..we all say this stuff..

To be honest, I don't see the difference. I called his salary b/c that is what relievers like him get on a year-in, year-out basis. Hence, he got fair value b/c he got what the going rate is for closers. Look at the salaries for relievers in FA the last couple years and look where Valverde's deal falls in at. If we overpaid for him, then a lot of other GM's are overpaying for relievers in virtually every single signing.

Let's not forget we're talking about the AL (Comedy) Central here, where even guys like Carl Pavano and Jim Thome can still make a difference.

Sign 'em. Keep doing this tango, get your best deal, but in the end.. sign 'em.

Let's not forget we're talking about the AL (Comedy) Central here, where even guys like Carl Pavano and Jim Thome can still make a difference.

Sign 'em. Keep doing this tango, get your best deal, but in the end.. sign 'em.

but we want a team made for post season

not post haste