CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

Sounds to me like his agent is trying to drum up interest where none exists. And we all know who his agent is. Methinks the Tigers have one or two too many aging outfielders already. Why add one that throws like a 90-year old woman?

He won't crawl back there because Randy Winn took his spot. They weren't bluffing. Boras knows that now.

I doubt Winn's $2 million contract would prevent them from taking Damon back. If it does, then the Tigers most certainly should not exceed the Yankees' last offer. But again, I don't want him on the Tigers at all.

Damon turned down 1 year @ $6 million from the Yankees. Why would he take less from Detroit? He'll crawl back there if he gets nothing better.

The whole thing is a joke. Boras has gone to the well before with the Tigers and he's trying to use them, either to get their money or up the offer from another team. I honestly don't want any part of Damon. Give me Raburn in LF and Guillen at DH. Leadoff will work itself out. The only FA hitter I'm interested in for the Tigers is Branyan.

He would take less because right now it is less or nothing...something Scottie B failed to mention when he told Johnny the Yanks could shove it.

Boras may get people the big money when they are in their prime, but after the age of 34 every player employing him should fire scott boras

It's affordable if the structure is as follows 1year/6.5MM with/1.5MM deferred to 2011. with a 1MM option for 2012 at 6MM (either vesting or non vesting they can work that out).

If at the trade deadline July 31, the Tigers were to move him, they tigers would have only paid him 3,350,000 with the tacquiring team absorbing the remainder. (5MM prorated over 2/3 a season)

If the Tigers are contenders, 5MM and deferring his salary to 2011 when payroll is low..makes the deal cash flow friendly and risk adverse..

Not to be a dick again, but could we possibly merge the two Damon threads? It's a pain going back and forth and trying to follow this discussion.

I don't think the Tigers will sign him. Dombrowski said they weren't interested. I know it could be a negotiating ploy but it's not one that I remember him using before. When he is interested in a player, he usually says something like "we are always looking for ways to improve the club but nothing is imminent". And when he's really serious, he doesn't comment at all.

I think they are more likely to sign an infielder who can back up at third and perhaps second if Sizemore is hurt more than they are saying. Kennedy seems like a real possibility.

Edited by tiger337

Not to be a dick again, but could we possibly merge the two Damon threads? It's a pain going back and forth and trying to follow this discussion.

couldn't we just add two more threads and let all of them die?

I think they are more likely to sign an infielder who can back up at third and perhaps second if Sizemore is hurt more than they are saying. Kennedy seems like a real possibility.

This was mentioned elsewhere here... what about Felipe Lopez as a backup IF? Has played all over the IF while Kennedy has not played SS. Perhaps with Santiago this isn't a big concern, but the extra SS depth would be nice.

Edit: Sorry, probably a bit incomplete with my thoughts on Lopez, but he has played 2B/SS/3B, even a bit of LF (although more interested in the IF work).

Edited by Casimir

couldn't we just add two more threads and let all of them die?
LOL. I remember trying to wade through all these threads while on dial-up, and I wanted to kill something. And grill it (Grilli it?).

Imo...yes the guy isn't getting any older, but hey he has to world series rings within the last decade...that outta say something.

I say let's try him...if nothing else, at least we went to get one of the "big dogs"

He is worth every penny he demands - he said he can make us a winner!!

Whew... I just checked the standings from last year --- Tigers where 86-77, which, after running the OE% I was able to calculate that was a winning record

If Johnny 'flame on' D wanted to make the Tigers a winner, he should have come here in 2003

Detroit 43 119

T hat is when we needed an old guy who can't throw the ball, but the chicks dig

I say let's try him...if nothing else, at least we went to get one of the "big dogs"

If you're going out there telling teams that they should be interested in you, you're no longer a big dog.

If you're going out there telling teams that they should be interested in you, you're no longer a big dog.

Stand Firm

Expect your [free agent]'s begging to get worse before it gets better. If whining at 20 decibels doesn't result in [a contract], he'll think he isn't trying hard enough and turn it up to 40 decibels. As unpleasant as this may be for a few days, stand firm. Eventually, your [free agent] will realize that his efforts no longer work.

as in yo quiero taco bell

Hmmm, an outfield of Guillen, Damon and Ordonez.

Our pitchers better throw a lot of ground balls.

Clearly one would DH, though I get your point. It's an option, especially since Guillen is no guarantee to last the entire season ..... not on the DL.

Damon is more interested in getting paid by the Tigers than playing for them. Those two things are always confused for some reason. Not that I blame him, but he wasn't coming out a couple months ago asking the Tigers to sign him. It's February and nobody else wants to pay him what he's asking.

The thread could have ended here.

The thread could have ended here.

True. I want a job making millions of dollars, but who doesn't. I'd move to Vermont, if someone would pay me enough.