CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

If they knew the answer to this, he would have been signed or disregarded already. Signing free agents is always a gamble.

BTW, we should just go ahead and change the thread title to "Damon wants to be employed"

Amen -- I don't see him taking the Braves deal. This will only encourage Boras to turn up the head with DD-- Damon will be signed no later than end of business on Monday--count it

The Braves have no room for Johnny Damon.

Starters; RF/Jason Heyward, LF/Melky Cabrera, CF/Nate McLouth ... on the bench; Jordan Schafer and/or Matt Diaz.

Johnny Damon should be a Tiger within the next few days.

Does the signing of Damon put the Tigers into the playoffs in 2010?

If not, why sign him.........?

If so, DD will look brilliant.

If they sign him at ~$6M and the Tigers don't get into the playoffs, it will be $6M they didn't have to spend as payroll is already in place.

Thus, it's a $6M gamble with the loss of some young players' development ------

Worth it?

If Illitch wants Damon, the payroll "limit" would immediately increase by the required amount. Illitch does not run the Tigers to make a profit - although I suppose he has to limit his losses to some extent. Once his business pipeline i.e. attendance is well established, I think he does continue to invest in it. Not to mention he's not getting any younger .......

The Braves have no room for Johnny Damon.

Starters; RF/Jason Heyward, LF/Melky Cabrera, CF/Nate McLouth ... on the bench; Jordan Schafer and/or Matt Diaz.

Johnny Damon should be a Tiger within the next few days.

Even without Heyward, seems like there isn't a good fit..

Even without Heyward, seems like there isn't a good fit..

Most people forget that they got Melky Cabrera for Javier Vazquez.

That, and the Braves still have hopes for Jordan Schafer. Who would you rather give your ABs to; Schafer or Damon, when Schafer is twelve years younger?

Most people forget that they got Melky Cabrera for Javier Vazquez.

That, and the Braves still have hopes for Jordan Schafer. Who would you rather give your ABs to; Schafer or Damon, when Schafer is twelve years younger?

Depends on how seriously I viewed my chancs to win the NL East..with the Braves pitching, I would go for it..that means they should consider Damon.

Haha great quote in the News:

Look, let's face facts: Damon would rave about prison food if the Macomb Correctional Facility was offering a two-year contract.

Don't know if this was posted:

Braves' offer to Damon is $2MM now plus another $2MM deferred.

We can beat that. And should.

I'll go back to what I posted earlier: $4.5 mill, plus $3 mill in incentives (PA's, playoff/ WS MVP's, etc...).

Since that is what was offered to us ("Damon can get the Tigers into the playoffs..."). Make it incentive based.

Yeah, but since he is a fan of Stever Yzerman, I want to give him 2 yrs, 30 m .. makes sense, cause he likes Steve and all.

I think Damon makes a fair bit of sense. But I'm not inclined to pay him the sort of money he's asking for unilaterally. However, I could abide perhaps a two year contract such as this:

2010: $5 Million base salary. $1 Million incentive if he makes the all-star team. $250K incentive if the Tigers make the playoffs. Grows to $1 Million if the Tigers win the pennant. Grows to $2.5 Million if the Tigers win the World Series.

2011: $3 Million base. $3 Million incentives with 600 plate appearances during the 2011 season. $1 Million incentive if he makes the all-star team. $250K incentive if the Tigers make the playoffs. Grows to $1 Million if the Tigers win the pennant. Grows to $2.5 Million if the Tigers win the World Series.

This speaks to Damon's and Boras's stated desire to help make the Tigers a winner. It pays him handsomely if he succeeds while partly covering the Tigers butts if he fails.

$20 million if the Lions win more than 8 games...$40 million if they make the playoffs...wait, what?

Don't know if this was posted:

Braves' offer to Damon is $2MM now plus another $2MM deferred.

Seriously? I'd have no problems giving him two years (total 10 million), with mutual options for year two. But clearly it's a buyer's market here - if the Tigers decide to get in.

Seriously? I'd have no problems giving him two years (total 10 million), with mutual options for year two. But clearly it's a buyer's market here - if the Tigers decide to get in.

I'd rather they just give him a 1 year deal. If they could give him something like 1 year for $5M I'd be happy with that.

I'd rather they just give him a 1 year deal. If they could give him something like 1 year for $5M I'd be happy with that.

If he would sign for 1/5MM Dombrowski and Illitch do that deal tomorrow, I'm thinking he won't, at least not tomorrow.

If he would sign for 1/5MM Dombrowski and Illitch do that deal tomorrow, I'm thinking he won't, at least not tomorrow.

Maybe next week then haha. If a better deal doesn't come around he might be had for that.

Jon Paul Morosi just tweeted:

Loved another related tweet:

Sounds like Atlanta is offering one year, unclear if it's 5 million total or 5 million this year with some $$$ deferred.

the best thng about 'a source' is people read that as if they were quoting Dave Dombroski

it's getting harder and harder to take the media seriously

He'd be blocking Raburn in 2010, which I don't believe is insignificant. Beyond that it's less of an issue if RF opens up. If Maggs' option is going to vest, I don't want Damon on a 2-year deal because then Damon, Maggs and Guillen would all be blocking Raburn plus guys like Ramirez, Wells and Strieby, or at least blocking the opportunity to see if they can develop into full-time good MLB players.

My thinking on the 2 years is basically the same as it was with Valverde: if you have a need, and you are getting a bargain, why wouldn't you want to go 2 years. So as Benke said, it all depends on the price. 2 yrs $10M sure, 2 years $14M no way.