CapitalTigers

Damon Wants to be a Detroit Tiger

Definitely interesting...

Agent: Damon wants to play for Tigers

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Johnny Damon, the free-agent outfielder who helped the Yankees to a world championship in 2009, would be happy to talk with the Tigers.

"Johnny believes the addition of him to Detroit's lineup would make the Tigers a winner," Scott Boras, Damon's agent, said during a Monday phone conversation.

Boras agrees.

"He's batted .363 at Comerica Park, he has a .412 on-base percentage at Comerica," Boras said.

Boras added, quoting Damon before Damon signed earlier contracts with the Yankees and Boston Red Sox: "I told you I could make the Yankees a winner, and I told you before I left Oakland (where he played in 2001) I could make a Boston a winner."

Boras says Damon has the same disposition toward the Tigers in 2010: "I can make the Detroit Tigers a winner," Boras said, citing Damon's words to him in December.

The Tigers are looking for top-of-the-order punch after the departures of Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. They are particularly needy on the left side of the plate, and Damon, of course, is a left-hand hitter.

From The Detroit News: Agent: Damon wants to play for Tigers | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Edited by CapitalTigers

Johnny Damon and I have two big things in common.....we both want to be a Detroit Tiger and we both want to make $7 million per year.

How's it feel to want?

Couldn't you have edited this to get rid of some of the bull? You just quoted an entire article. That took no effort at all.

Johnny Damon and I have two big things in common.....we both want to be a Detroit Tiger and we both want to make $7 million per year.

How's it feel to want?

Agreed. He'd have to come down on the $7 million; maybe with performance bonuses totalling $7mm. He does fit the bill of what Dombrowski is looking for though- left handed hitter that can play the field. Well, kind of play the field... his arm is questionable at best, as we all know.

tell you what, i watched every at bat of the world series and all of his seriously impressed me. he takes pitches, can steal 20+ bases and hit 15+ homers. and he's a lefty which this team desperatly needs.

he would give us plenty of good options if jackson doesn't work out.

obviously the only problem would be the contract. it's all a matter of if dombrowski and illitch can spend the cash.

In case anyone wants to read the ongoing discussion on this...

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/78913-if-valverde-why-not-damon-5.html

Damon is more interested in getting paid by the Tigers than playing for them. Those two things are always confused for some reason. Not that I blame him, but he wasn't coming out a couple months ago asking the Tigers to sign him. It's February and nobody else wants to pay him what he's asking.

Hmmm, an outfield of Guillen, Damon and Ordonez.

Our pitchers better throw a lot of ground balls.

Hopefully an outfield of Damon, Jackson, Ordonez with Guillen at DH (or flip Ordonez and Guillen when needed), that looks a little better at least

This thread should be titled "Boras tries tapping a familiar well to get another aging client a big payday"

Damon could care less about the Tigers. This is just another ploy by Boras to get his client more money. He recognizes that the Tigers have spent in the past and might be willing to spend again. DD will not bite unless the price comes down.

Does it make anyone else feel good inside to see how Boras screwed things up for Damon this offseason? Or maybe Damon screwed things up for himself...

This thread should be titled "Boras tries tapping a familiar well to get another aging client a big payday"

A+

That's exactly what came to mind when I saw the headline.

I like a guy who says he has a career average of .363 at Comerica as though that trend would continue if he were a member of the Tigers...uhhh Johnny you wouldn't be hitting against the Tigers pitching staff any more, and against that 2003 staff you should have hit .800.

He does have a superhero name though.

In case anyone wants to read the ongoing discussion on this...

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/78913-if-valverde-why-not-damon-5.html

Although the same ballplayer is in both threads; I have been following that thread closely. I think it's two different subject matters for a thread. That of speculation and that of a ballplayer's agent saying he wants to be with a particular team.

We all want to be employed.

Nevertheless, I would take him for 2/14. Anything more than that is overpaying.

I wouldn't mind Damon for less than $5 mil and a provision in his contract that he grow his hair and beard out.

I could get on board with that so we could say "looks like Jesus, throws like Mary" again.

We all want to be employed.

Nevertheless, I would take him for 2/14. Anything more than that is overpaying.

Agreed.

Damon turned down 1 year @ $6 million from the Yankees. Why would he take less from Detroit? He'll crawl back there if he gets nothing better.

The whole thing is a joke. Boras has gone to the well before with the Tigers and he's trying to use them, either to get their money or up the offer from another team. I honestly don't want any part of Damon. Give me Raburn in LF and Guillen at DH. Leadoff will work itself out. The only FA hitter I'm interested in for the Tigers is Branyan.

Damon turned down 1 year @ $6 million from the Yankees. Why would he take less from Detroit? He'll crawl back there if he gets nothing better.

He won't crawl back there because Randy Winn took his spot. They weren't bluffing. Boras knows that now.