Deleterious

2010 NBA Draft

Stuckey is a good player, he's improved year over year, in some of the worst circumstances imaginable for development of a young PG. You just can't say that on this particular board because there are posters here who feel they must tear him down in order to move their "Dumars sucks" narrative forward.

Bull..the best situation is playing time unencumbered by the pressure of winning..which has been the exact circumsance he has played under..

You guys just keep throwing out the excuses..it is what it is..he has regressed..not improved..

The Dumars issue is separate..the fact he hitched his wagon to Stuckey as a PG, is an issue everyone in the NBA, except Joe laughs at..

Now go compare Chauncey's stats to Stuckey through the same # of years in the league/age.

Stuckey is at least equal to Chauncey re. playmaking at the same point in their careers

I don't think it's even close. It took Saunders in Minnesota to start tapping into Billups game, Dumars took notice and brought him to Detroit. Billups could shoot the 3, he could post up and by all accounts I've read, he has a great mind for the game (if not all of the skills of a prototypical PG). I don't think Stuckey has displayed any of these skills and as has been pointed out, he hasn't seemed to improve his game at all from season to season.

Whats tragic, he makes nobody who he plays with better.

Gosh - what a horribly true statement. :ermm:

A "Point Guard" HAS to make somebody on his starting five, better....right???

I'm definitely not a stuckey fan at this point. As has been brought up, he can't shoot consistently, he can't finish, and he doesn't pass. He's got more than enough skill to get the basket on anyone, but he never ever ever looks to pass off the drive. He always shoots and misses way too much right at the cup.

without any cachet with the refs, he can get hammered and still not get to the line. His upside, IMO, is Jerry Stackhouse. But that's only if his shot improves.

at this point, stuckey only makes stuckey better. Bynum is very similar. Better shot, good off the dribble, but doesn't drive and dish enough for a point guard for my liking.

On the plus side, they're both not that old and could still improve.

I'm definitely not a stuckey fan at this point. As has been brought up, he can't shoot consistently, he can't finish, and he doesn't pass. He's got more than enough skill to get the basket on anyone, but he never ever ever looks to pass off the drive. He always shoots and misses way too much right at the cup.

without any cachet with the refs, he can get hammered and still not get to the line. His upside, IMO, is Jerry Stackhouse. But that's only if his shot improves.

at this point, stuckey only makes stuckey better. Bynum is very similar. Better shot, good off the dribble, but doesn't drive and dish enough for a point guard for my liking.

On the plus side, they're both not that old and could still improve.

the marriage is back on..but I'm not inviting Manny Harris.

Edited by sportz4life

Brackins, really?

All I heard the last week was how everyone wanted to move up to get Solomon Alabi. Hmmm...

It came out during pre-draft checks that Solomon Alabi has hepatitis B and that was likely a big part of his draft day fall. While uncommon in the US, Hep B is more common in his native Nigeria.

S. Alabi slipped in draft due to Hepatitis B - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Now that the high from the draft has worn off, I am getting buyer's remorse when it comes to Monroe.

We he is a Piston now, so it was only a matter of time before you disliked him :cheeky:

We he is a Piston now, so it was only a matter of time before you disliked him :cheeky:

You gotta admit, he is no Brendan Haywood.

Seriously though,

is it just a case of of overanalyzing him because he plays for your team, or is there something tangible that you are re-questioning about him? if he played in SacTown would you feel the same about him as a player?

Seriously though,

is it just a case of of overanalyzing him because he plays for your team, or is there something tangible that you are re-questioning about him? if he played in SacTown would you feel the same about him as a player?

Well, no doubt I am overanalyzing him. I do that a lot. But I also have some concerns.

Lack of defense worries me. Not athletic or explosive, not real strong either. He will have to play center so athletic PF's don't expose him. But does he have t he strength to play center? I imagine in the regular season he can, but come playoff time he will have problems. As Betrayer pointed out, kind of passive around the bucket and wont slam it home. Has no range on his jumper, but that can be worked on (Right Stuckey?).

After all that, he was still the right pick at #7. It was the right pick without a doubt. Maybe I am just upset they didn't lean on Minnesota so they could get Cousins.

Well, no doubt I am overanalyzing him. I do that a lot. But I also have some concerns.

Lack of defense worries me. Not athletic or explosive, not real strong either. He will have to play center so athletic PF's don't expose him. But does he have t he strength to play center? I imagine in the regular season he can, but come playoff time he will have problems. As Betrayer pointed out, kind of passive around the bucket and wont slam it home. Has no range on his jumper, but that can be worked on (Right Stuckey?).

After all that, he was still the right pick at #7. It was the right pick without a doubt. Maybe I am just upset they didn't lean on Minnesota so they could get Cousins.

Those are the exact same reasons why I liked Aminu over Monroe at the start of the draft process. Eventually I decided I was missing his positives and only focusing on his negatives. He is what he is though, a potentially solid starter, who will never be a dominant big man. A 14/8/3 line. I don't think he will be terrible defensively. Can he shoot 50 plus in this league? I don't think so. I think he is mid to upper 40's.

I would like to know if JoeD actually had a chance to move up, and if he did, why the crap did he not pull the trigger for the potentially dominant Cousins.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

All legitimate concerns. A few things sold me on him leading up to the draft. His size...he can legitimately play center. He is still only 20 years old. 240 lbs is not bad for a 20 year old and it would be a surprise if he didn't put on more weight and add a LOT more strength. I think there is a good chance he will develop into a solid starting center and that makes him a solid pick in my mind.

Reminds me a little of Kevin Love or a less explosive Chris Webber. A good passing big man with not a lot of hops.

I also think the "lack of athleticism" thing is a bit overblown. He looks pretty athletic to me.

That being said, I am surprised that Dumars took him and not aminu.

All legitimate concerns. A few things sold me on him leading up to the draft. His size...he can legitimately play center. He is still only 20 years old. 240 lbs is not bad for a 20 year old and it would be a surprise if he didn't put on more weight and add a LOT more strength. I think there is a good chance he will develop into a solid starting center and that makes him a solid pick in my mind.

I'm not sure he can add weight.

Greg Monroe | NBADraft.net

Despite putting on weight, still has difficulty absorbing contact and finishing in traffic ... Adding bulk in the past has slowed him down and it's apparent he's not a player that can carry any additional weight comforably

Well..athleticism is overated..Zach Randolph is a walking 20/10. What if he was Radolph with passing skills and without a rap sheet..

Actually Monroe is a much better athlete than Randolph is entering the league with more range and rebounding skill..I'm happy with his skill set and will reserve judgement on what he will be, until I watch him play..

Reminds me a little of Kevin Love or a less explosive Chris Webber. A good passing big man with not a lot of hops.

I also think the "lack of athleticism" thing is a bit overblown. He looks pretty athletic to me.

That being said, I am surprised that Dumars took him and not aminu.

The hands and passing remind me of Webber. But Webber had legit range out to the 3pt line. Monroe struggles 10 feet out. With hard work and dedication, you can teach a kid how to shoot a jumper. So honestly, that doesn't concern me all that much.

Like I said, at the 4 his lack of athleticism concerns me. With the league falling in love with the "stretch 4" he will have to be on the perimeter more. One of the knocks is he looks lost out there on defense.

More concerning to me is his lack of explosiveness. When he has to jump 2, 3, 4 times for that rebound. Will he be able to do that with other guys in the league? Will he be able to get up over guys to get his shot?

I'm mostly bringing this stuff up to create conversation, but I am concerned about all of them to a certain extent. You wont hear me killing Dumars in three years if Monroe sucks. He is the person I would have picked. But if it comes out in the future that he could have gone up to #4 for Cousins and didn't...

But Webber had legit range out to the 3pt line

I'm sorry, but I don't remember this Webber entering the NBA. I remember the Webber that could basically only dunk and shoot within 5 -10 feet which is why Orlando keeping him when they had Shaq never made sense, thus the trade for Hardaway. Now Webber did develop some range, but never was someone you (if he was on your team) really wanted to be shooting 3's.

The hands and passing remind me of Webber. But Webber had legit range out to the 3pt line. Monroe struggles 10 feet out. With hard work and dedication, you can teach a kid how to shoot a jumper. So honestly, that doesn't concern me all that much.

Like I said, at the 4 his lack of athleticism concerns me. With the league falling in love with the "stretch 4" he will have to be on the perimeter more. One of the knocks is he looks lost out there on defense.

More concerning to me is his lack of explosiveness. When he has to jump 2, 3, 4 times for that rebound. Will he be able to do that with other guys in the league? Will he be able to get up over guys to get his shot?

I'm mostly bringing this stuff up to create conversation, but I am concerned about all of them to a certain extent. You wont hear me killing Dumars in three years if Monroe sucks. He is the person I would have picked. But if it comes out in the future that he could have gone up to #4 for Cousins and didn't...

Webber had no range coming into the league. He developed that range later in his career.

Webber had no range coming into the league. He developed that range later in his career.

Sophomore year Webber attempted over two 3 PTA per game and made 33% of them. Significant numbers for a big in college. He had the range coming out of college.

This is the first I have heard about Monroe having absolutely no range on his jumper. True, shooting 3's was not his game, but he did make 9 of them at a 30% clip. His form is better than a lot of guys his size and it looks natural. I think he will be alright.

Ford says "Can score from anywhere, good jumper". Draft express "he is incosistent" but only says "he lacks great range". I think he'll be fine to start at 15-20 and can develop a 3 point shot if we want him to. That's just an assumption based on his form, which looks pretty good compared to some of his other peers in this class.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Sophomore year Webber attempted over two 3 PTA per game and made 33% of them. Significant numbers for a big in college. He had the range coming out of college.

I think that had more to do with Michigan's undisciplined offense than any inherent ability to consistently shoot jumpers. The guy was a TERRIBLE free throw shooter. Shooting wasn't his game.

Regardless, I'm willing to bet that Monroe is a much better shooter right now than webber was at this age.

And, just to be clear, I'm not comparing Monroe to Webber. Webber was a freak of nature coming out of school. Rather, I think Monroe's skills remind me of an older Chris Webber at Sacramento. Great passer for a big man who lacked explosive ability and was considered by many to be "soft."