Deleterious

2010 NBA Draft

And now we know why Golden State always loses.

Great pick in Monroe. it's nice to be happy after a draft night for a change.

This is the first year Dumars did part of what I wanted. I am so sick of undersized centers/forwards and combo guards--so, I loved Monroe enough to hope White sticks even though I hate having three combo guards on the roster.

In 2003, I wanted Bosh

2005: I really really REALLY wanted David Lee (only because of his McDonald's dunk competition win from a few years prior, but I thought we'd take Brandon Bass. Maxiell was the better choice between those two.

2007: I was deadset on Nick Young but glad Stuckey turned out the way he did.

2009: I wanted a point guard, Collison or Maynor

My feelings on the draft...

First, let me say that I now hate the Kings more than any other team for screwing us in both round. First they took Cousins, then they took Whiteside right before we could.

Round 1:

Shrug.

It was the right pick to make for this team at #7 with Cousins already off the board. So, I can't really complain about it. It's not like they took a SF or something. But, at the same time, Joe talked toughness and grabbed a 6'11" guy who finishes with finger rolls and layups instead of dunks.

So, while it was the right pick to make if you stayed at #7, I would like to have seen something spectacular like an aggressive trade to move up (or down and acquire players).

In the end, sticking with the #7 and taking Monroe was the safe pick - not a disaster, but not stellar either.

Side question: Did they even work this guy out or bring him in for interviews?

Round 2:

Joe is to combo guards as Millen is to wide receivers. Do we really need another one? Granted, this kid looks more like the "Dwayne Wade light" that Stuckey was supposed to be and he was projected as a first rounder. So, it's good value and a good pick - just not for this team in its current state. We now have 5 guys who are essentially shooting guards (Stuckey, Rip, Gordon, Bynum, White) and nothing resembling a PG to be found anywhere on the roster.

Overall

I think it was a decent, safe draft but it didn't blow me away. And, at this stage, I need Joe to blow me away. We didn't go aggressive and make any game changing moves up or down the draft and we didn't acquire any additional picks that might have been for sale.

If Joe handles the rest of the offseason this way, I'm going to be disappointed. A Good/Average/Safe offseason isn't going to be enough. With a "safe" draft behind us now, it's time for Joe to really step it up and make the trades necessary to change this team. He's simply got to trade one or more of the SGs and probably Tay as well in order to bring in a big and a point guard.

Dime Magazine named the Pistons the #1 winner last night. Not sure that makes sense, but OK.

1. Detroit Pistons

The Pistons are in desperate need of guys that can play. Now. So while the Spurs may be content with drafting international guys and stashing them overseas for years, Detroit had to get solid guys that can contribute from Day 1. Thankfully for Pistons fans, Greg Monroe (No. 7) and Terrico White (No. 36) are two such players. Monroe addresses an immediate need for a solid big man down low, and grabbing White in the second round (where he was projected first) is a steal.

Where is White going to play? Does this mean they are not going to keep Bynum? That would be fine, but far as I know they said they really want him back. So with Stuckey, Rip, Gordon, and Bynum all eating up minutes, where is White getting his? D-League? Going to Europe?

How did Ryan Reid get drafted? I had stopped watching and got texted and thought my friend was lying, at least it wasnt us who took him.

Cousins=Kwame Brown v2.0

All the upside with less heart and athleticism and a few years older!

Cousins doesn't lack confidence, have stone hands,nor possesses a broke jumper from beyond 2 feet. That alone makes him much better than Kwame Brown.

If you from the D and you make it out you should get a Nobel Piece Prize that always hate on a True D-Boy. Politics as Usual.

So is that.

Cousins doesn't lack confidence, have stone hands,nor possesses a broke jumper from beyond 2 feet. That alone makes him much better than Kwame Brown.

Look at the scouting tape when both came out. Kwame had a decent shot in H.S. and had all the confidence in the world.

1 year on that world-beating team where Cousins was often the ineffective 5th option isn't much better.

I heard that Pistons had Favors, Cousins, and Monroe all in the first tier of big man. I think the rumors of the Pistons pushing for Cousins after he was selected are overstated, if not flat out untrue.

Am I mistaken, or did the Big Ten only have one player drafted??

A lot of teams had more players taken than the whole conference, including Kentucky, FSU, GT, Kansas, Nevada, OK, Cuse, Texas and WV

A lot of teams had more players taken than the whole conference, including Kentucky, FSU, GT, Kansas, Nevada, OK, Cuse, Texas and WV

You are not mistaken.

Oh..so the fact tht GS is the dumbest team in the league makes Dumars smart..I get it..by the way..I said I would take him..right..

LOL..sorry dude..tough to win with a chronic whiner..if I dont say anything you whine..if I do ..you whine..it's why we got divorced..

Truthfully..you make me laugh..and it isn't with you..

I'm still waiting after 5 years for you to say something prophetic, insightful or clever..but hey..I have time..I'm patient.

You sure you didn't go to Washtenaw CC..

Am I the only one who assigns a William Shatner "voice" to sportz? With all of the "..", which I assume are failed attempts at an ellipses, I can't help but read those as dramatic pauses ala Shatner.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAvRBDQqSmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAvRBDQqSmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Am I the only one who assigns a "William Shatner" voice to sportz? With all of the ".." which I assume are failed attempts at an ellipses I can't help but read those as dramatic pauses ala Shatner.

Im thinking more Christopher Walken, just puting random breaks into sentences.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten get 7 or 8 drafted next year. I hear Robbie Hummell already has a gurantee from Larry Bird.

I could see these guys:

Sullinger

Lucas

Summers

Hummell

JaJaun

McCamey

Lighty

E-twaun

Leur

Battle

(the white dude from NW not named Coble)

have a shot at being drafted. Other than Sullinger and Lucas, they are probably all 2nd rd garbage, but then again, this years 2nd rd is all garbage too.

Im thinking more Christopher Walken, just puting random breaks into sentences.

Haha, I think you might be right...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5JwYOlgvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5JwYOlgvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dime Magazine named the Pistons the #1 winner last night. Not sure that makes sense, but OK.

Where is White going to play? Does this mean they are not going to keep Bynum? That would be fine, but far as I know they said they really want him back. So with Stuckey, Rip, Gordon, and Bynum all eating up minutes, where is White getting his? D-League? Going to Europe?

If they keep Bynum they'd have 5 players for PG/SG and 7 for SF/PF/C which seems reasonable. I really like the White pick, has the size and ball handling abilities to play either 1 or 2 and he's a young athletic freak that was productive in college. Maybe to start out they can give him 10 minutes a game to play intense on-ball defense. His floor seems to be productive roleplayer and his ceiling is impact starter, so that's pretty good for a 2nd rounder.

If they keep Bynum they'd have 5 players for PG/SG and 7 for SF/PF/C which seems reasonable. I really like the White pick, has the size and ball handling abilities to play either 1 or 2 and he's a young athletic freak that was productive in college. Maybe to start out they can give him 10 minutes a game to play intense on-ball defense. His floor seems to be productive roleplayer and his ceiling is impact starter, so that's pretty good for a 2nd rounder.

You're right that they need 5 guys at PG/SG. You are wrong thinking the 5th guy will get 10 minutes a night. That 5th guy should be a veteran like Atkins who doesn't need to play to stay ready. A young kid like White needs time on the court to develop.

You have 96 minutes between the two positions. Rip, Stuckey, and Gordon all need at least 30 minutes per game. That leaves 6 minutes between Bynum and White.

If they don't keep Bynum, the pick looks a little better. But then you don't have anyone to back up Stuckey at the PG spot. The better move would have been to not keep Bynum and draft a more traditional PG prospect.

Maybe Joe knows he can move Rip this summer? Who knows. Like I said, its the second round so who cares. Its just another in a long line of odd picks for Joe.

5 players for PG/SG

The problem I have is that the above statement should be re-written as:

5 players for SG

Height, or lack thereof, does not a PG make.