Deleterious

2010 NBA Draft

Thanks guys. I'm still not 100% sure it all works when I add new data or delete games, so if anyone sees an error let me know please.

Here are today's standings, updated after the games on Saturday night.

standings_3_14.jpg

I'd like 4 of those Kentucky kids in the draft please. Starting with John Wall. If we could have only sucked enough to get him. He's special.

Here are the standings updated after the games for 3/14/10 were completed. I added the percentage each slot has of receiving the #1/#2/#3 pick. I left off the # and % to save space. I know Philly, Detroit, and New York should have the same odds, but I don't want to change the odds every time there is a tie. So I just left them as is.

standings_3_15.jpg

Unfortunately they have Indiana x2 and New Jersey x1 in the next 6 games. Although they are 0-2 against Indiana so far this year.

a sweet 9 game losing streak would be awesome about now.

Won't happen.

As mentioned, Indy twice and NJ - both of which are more likely to mail it in, against the Pistons.

I was hoping for like a 4th-worst overall finish; but there are just too many bad teams ahead of them. They'll probably remain around 7th-worst.

Unfortunately they have Indiana x2 and New Jersey x1 in the next 6 games. Although they are 0-2 against Indiana so far this year.

We can hope can't we..no Ben or Stuckey..

We can hope can't we..no Ben or Stuckey..

It's not just their absence; it's the fact the Pistons are still a competitive bunch, though undermanned. The teams with worse records have mostly mailed it in, for the year...

....And even as I say this, Tay goes down hard....

It's not just their absence; it's the fact the Pistons are still a competitive bunch, though undermanned. The teams with worse records have mostly mailed it in, for the year...

....And even as I say this, Tay goes down hard....

The Atlanta and Boston game refute this theory.

???.....aren't Atlanta and Boston playoff teams?....

any team you need to make an excuse for, becuase they are down by 15+ by the end of the first quarter, isn't playing real hard.

Edited by sportz4life

Well they (Pistons) need to play soft, the rest of the year....I'm gonna be upset if they miss out on all the top 4-5 guys in the Draft.

Updated through the 3/15/10 games.

standings_3_16-1.png

Lottery teams in action Tuesday night.

Charlotte @ Indiana

Atlanta @ New Jersey

Chicago @ Memphis

Washington @ Denver

Minnesota @ Phoenix

Lakers @ Sacramento

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Hassan Whiteside | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Hassan Whiteside

OK, Ottist3 and Orlando ... your day has arrived. After much clamoring in the comments for Hassan Whiteside, we'll take a look at the big freshman from the Thundering Herd.

Like Keith Benson, Whiteside is a bit of a project center. Unlike Benson, however, Whiteside is only a freshman and is much, much better at his age than Benson was, suggesting he has a higher ceiling than everyone's favorite Golden Grizzly.

Measurables: 7-0, 235 pounds, freshman F/C at Marshall.

Stats: 13.6 points, 9.2 rebounds, 5.4 blocks, 52 percent field goal percentage in 26.6 minutes per game.

Projected:18th (DraftExpress); 11th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits: First, size. While he still has to add strength, he's not a complete bean-pole as a freshman. He stays in the paint, he rebounds. He leads the country in blocked shots. Despite his inexperience, he'd step in and at least contribute immediately with his shot-blocking presence in the paint, something the Pistons sorely need, particularly if Ben Wallace doesn't return.

Why he doesn't fit: Conference USA is not exactly a power conference, so while Whiteside can undoubtedly block shots, he hasn't been going against NBA caliber bigs while he's put up numbers this season. As with any mid-major player who makes it to the NBA, he'll have to make a big adjustment when it comes to competition level. And big men generally take longer to develop than guards, so it probably wouldn't be fair to expect more than spot contributions from Whiteside early in his career. His size will get him on the court, but he'll have a lot to learn if he enters the draft.

Why I'd draft him: The Pistons have two needs -- size and playmakers who can get their own shot. Unfortunately, this draft is a bit light on playmakers. It is deep in bigs, although many, like Whiteside, fit more into the "upside" category than the "finished product" one. Depending on where the Pistons draft, and depending on who stays in school and who declares, a player like Whiteside could very well be the best available when the Pistons pick. I'm always leery of bigs, but taking a big who's a project vs. taking a perimeter player with limited ceiling appear to be the options for teams after the first five or so picks. In that scenario, Whiteside has as much potential as anyone in the draft.

Standings through the 3/16/10 games:

standings_3_17.png

Lottery teams in action tonight:

Indiana @ Cleveland

New Jersey @ Philadelphia

New York @ Boston

Memphis @ Houston

Chicago @ Dallas

Minnesota @ Utah

Milwaukee @ Clippers

New Orleans @ Golden State

Edited by Deleterious

Updated after the 3/17 games. Epic battle against Indiana and Detroit on Friday.

standings_3_18.png

Lottery teams in action on 3/18:

New Orleans @ Denver

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Monroe Will Return To Georgetown For Junior Season

Monroe Will Return To Georgetown For Junior Season

Greg Monroe told the media that he will return to Georgetown for his junior season, bypassing the 2010 NBA Draft where he is assured of being a first round pick.

"I'm ready to go back and see how I can help my team next year," he said.

Georgetown coach John Thompson III isn't convinced.

"You know, I think that he's going to sit and make that decision as time goes on right here," he said.

Lets see how he feels when the emotions aren't running so high.

Since only 1 lottery team played last night, I will not do an update today. It was just New Orleans and they lost. They are far enough behind us it really has no bearing on us one way or another.

Next update will be after the Friday night games.

Updated after the 3/17 games. Epic battle against Indiana and Detroit on Friday.

Stuckey - for some God-awful reason - has been cleared to play, tonite....I'm mean, why??....chill!!

Stuckey - for some God-awful reason - has been cleared to play, tonite....I'm mean, why??....chill!!

I agree. Looks like Ben will be back as well.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Patrick Patterson | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Patrick Patterson

Patrick Patterson is more than just a guy who may or may not have eaten a booger on national TV.

The Kentucky forward is one of four UK players with a shot at being a top 15 pick in the NBA draft and a guy who could turn into a legit stretch four at the NBA level.

I know, I know. What's the need if the Pistons already have Charlie Villanueva? Well, Patterson also projects as a pretty good rebounder and decent shot blocker.

Measurables: 6-9, 235 pounds, junior F/C at Marshall.

Stats: 14.7 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 58 percent field goal percentage in 33.3 minutes per game.

Projected:10th (DraftExpress); 9th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits: He has size and, like all UK players this year, great athleticism.

His numbers are down a bit this season, but remember, he went from being a key guy on a not very good team last year to probably the third option on a very talented team this year. He's also sharing the paint with DeMarcus Cousins, which will certainly take away some of his touches.

Patterson's adapted extremely well going from primary score to complimentary player. He's a good leader and a steadying influence for a team prone to mistakes because of youth. He's a nice contrast with Cousins, who sometimes lets his emotions get the best of him.

Most impressively, Patterson has added a pretty reliable three-point shot this season, shooting 37 percent on 58 attempts. His first two years at Kentucky he only attempted four three-pointers.

Why he doesn't fit: He's probably not a center in the NBA. He certainly has a post game, although he'll have to work on his strength like most of the young bigs who are potentially in the draft this season.

The Pistons need size and Patterson has undeniable talent and upside, but as I said above, some of his skills duplicate what Charlie Villanueva does. I think Patterson will be a better defensive player than Villanueva is, but Patterson is a bit of a finesse forward rather than the hard-nosed, physical post player most Pistons fans covet.

Why I'd take him: Unless that Pistons pick at 1 or 2, the plan should be to take the best available big. Depending on where their pick ends up, there's a shot that's Patterson. There are probably guys with more upside, but Patterson is a mature player (he could've entered the draft last year but stayed in school despite all the changes coming to the Kentucky program) who would be an upgrade over most of what the Pistons have up front right now.

Updated after the Friday night games on 3/19.

standings_3_20.png

In case anyone was wondering how ties are broken:

NBA Draft Lottery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the event that teams finish with the same record, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions that they occupy. In 2007, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Portland Trail Blazers tied for the sixth worst record. The average of the 6th and 7th positions in the lottery was taken, resulting in each team getting 53 combinations (the average of 63 and 43). Should the average number not be an integer, a coin flip is then used to determine which team or teams receive the extra combination(s). The result of the coin flip is also used to determine who receives the earlier pick in the event that neither of the tied teams wins one of the first three picks via the lottery.

If things ended in a three way tie as they currently stand, this is how it would work (I think).

5th, 6th, and 7th spot give you a combined 194 chances. So you would do a coin flip to determine who gets the most chances and higher pick between the three teams. After that, take the remaining two and do the same thing again. Results would look like this. We would obviously win the coin flip.

#5 Detroit - 66 chances

#6 Indiana - 65 chances

#7 Sacramento - 63 chances

Again, the rules don't say what happens with a three way tie. I am just assuming that is how it would shake out.