Deleterious

2010 NBA Draft

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Cole Aldrich | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Cole Aldrich

When I took a look at DeMarcus Cousins last week as a lottery big with upside, the other name that came up a lot in the comments was Cole Aldrich.

Aldrich is kind of the anti-Cousins. He's a remarkably consistent junior, averaging a double-double each of the last two seasons.

Aldrich isn't necessarily a guy I look at who will improve immensely on offense, but with his size and rebounding ability, he'll hang around in the NBA for a long time.

Measurables: 6-foot-11, 245-pound junior center from Kansas.

Stats: 11.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.7 blocks per game. Shoots 55 percent from the field.

Projected: 6th (DraftExpress); 14th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits with Detroit: Size. Aldrich is a true center. He will never, ever venture out to the perimeter. He will rebound and block shots, and although his offensive game isn't particularly refined, he'll use his strength to back down opposing defenders. He has long arms and can block shots.

He'd slide into the Pistons lineup and contribute from day one. I'd guess that he'd have a hard time staying on the court in the NBA -- he's a physical player, so he'd likely get in foul trouble as a rookie -- but he'd be a definite defensive presence, especially if Ben Wallace returns.

Why he doesn't fit with Detroit: Aldrich didn't have good games against two other centers with NBA aspirations -- Oakland's Keith Benson and Texas's Dexter Pittman.

And while he can block shots and bang inside, he's not the most athletic guy around. That might be OK, but stiff college centers rarely turn into non-stiff NBA centers -- think about this guy. Or this one. Or this one.

Now, Aldrich could very well be better than those guys. He improved immensely from his freshman to sophomore year at Kansas. His numbers are down a bit this year though -- he averaged 15 and 11 and shot 60 percent last year, although he is playing a couple minutes fewer per game.

Why I'd draft him: Honestly, I only would it he's clearly the best player on the board regardless of position. When you reach for size in the lottery, you end up with Rafael Araujo. The Pistons need size, certainly, but they need talent above all. Aldrich strikes me as the classic "reach" guy -- he's huge and solid, so he could get picked too high.

That being said, he draws comparisons to Joel Przybilla, and if his production is similar to what Przybilla, a good rebounder and defensive center, does in Portland, the Pistons would be very happy with that.

Just say no to Aldrich, and Kansas players in general. When in doubt pick up a UNC player, I think they tend to get let loose in the NBA.

Evan Turner will be a better Pro than John Wall...

Is that a terrible thought to have?

Evan Turner will be a better Pro than John Wall...

Is that a terrible thought to have?

He won't..Evan Turner doesn't do one single thing better than John Wall.

Uhhh...I would not be happy if we drafted Aldrich and he had the same career as Pryzbilla had. Personally, I think the Pryzbilla comparisons are going to hurt his stock. I think he has more upside than that. Depending on who is available when we pick, I would consider a guy like Aldrich.

He won't..Evan Turner doesn't do one single thing better than John Wall.

Actually he does a lot of things better than Wall: score(more often and more efficiently), rebound, and play defense. He doesn't have the upside that Wall does but that is a different story.

Actually he does a lot of things better than Wall: score(more often and more efficiently), rebound, and play defense. He doesn't have the upside that Wall does but that is a different story.

He doesn't..you just think he does..Turner plays very little defense..James Anderson is a better scorer than Turner..and more NBA ready to score..

He doesn't..you just think he does..Turner plays very little defense..James Anderson is a better scorer than Turner..and more NBA ready to score..

I must be imagining that Turner averages 19.7 points on 54% shooting while Wall averages 16.8 pts on 45% shooting. Turner's strength is his playmaking, not scoring, but he is a better scorer than Wall at this point in time.

I must be imagining that Turner averages 19.7 points on 54% shooting while Wall averages 16.8 pts on 45% shooting. Turner's strength is his playmaking, not scoring, but he is a better scorer than Wall at this point in time.

Turner's game in the NBA will not be Turner's game in college..he can get to the rack at will in college and defers all the long range shooting to Buford and Diebler..thats not happening in the NBA..Turner shoots a higher percentage yet is he a better shooter..

Turner is a great player..he isn't even remotely close to John Wall..Wall is a baby in the big scheme of things..go review the progression of Derrick Rose and Wall is better..maybe a lot better.

Turner's game in the NBA will not be Turner's game in college..he can get to the rack at will in college and defers all the long range shooting to Buford and Diebler..thats not happening in the NBA..Turner shoots a higher percentage yet is he a better shooter..

Turner is a great player..he isn't even remotely close to John Wall..Wall is a baby in the big scheme of things..go review the progression of Derrick Rose and Wall is better..maybe a lot better.

I agree with you on these points. I was talking about the here and now, not pro potential. I am not sure what you were originally referring too but your comment that Turner does nothing better than Wall led me to believe you were talking about the present time.

I am a huge fan of Derrick Rose but I do see Wall having a little more upside than Rose. Rose is a great athlete, great, athlete. So is Wall. But I think Wall is a little more explosive and a step quicker than even Rose is.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Xavier Henry | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Xavier Henry

Just a reminder on what these posts are all about: I'm not necessarily lobbying for or against anyone, just discussing some of the strengths/weaknesses of several players should the Pistons be in a position to draft them.

Since we looked at Cole Aldrich Tuesday, might as well keep the Jayhawk theme going with teammate Xavier Henry.

Measurables: 6-foot-6, 220-pound freshman guard/forward from Kansas.

Stats: 14.0 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.6 steals per game. Shoots 46 percent from the field and 40 percent from three.

Projected: 19th (DraftExpress); 13th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits with Detroit: For a freshman, Henry is extremely strong -- 6-6, 220 is an impressive frame for a 19-year-old. He projects as a hard-nosed defender, he's a lefty, he can get in the lane and finish and he has a nice stroke from three.

Henry as a SG/SF at the pro level certainly doesn't fill a need, but you never know what the roster will look like when the draft rolls around or what the summer plans are for perimeter players -- no one on the team other than Jonas Jerebko has separated himself as a future building block. If someone gets moved and Henry is the best player available in the draft, the Pistons could do worse than him.

Why he doesn't fit: Because he's a shooting guard, are you crazy? Unless the Pistons move someone (very unlikely before the draft), all Henry would do is add to the already unbalanced roster. Good player or not, the team should probably come out of the draft with someone who plays a different position.

Why I'd draft him: I actually like him a lot of the team didn't have about $24 million invested in the shooting guard position and three consecutive draft picks used on small forwards. He could become a crazy good perimeter defender, he plays with intensity and he's physical. Under the right circumstance -- i.e. with new homes for a couple high-priced vets -- I think Henry would become a popular player in Detroit with his style and what he could potentially develop into.

NBADraft.net lists the following as their top pick at each position:

PG - John Wall

SG - Evan Turner

SF - Wesley Johnson

PF - Donatas Motiejunas

C - Hassan Whiteside

I have been able to watch a few more games from Whiteside. He would be a good consolation prize if Cousins is gone. Massive potential, to both be good and bust.

NBADraft.net lists the following as their top pick at each position:

PG - John Wall

SG - Evan Turner

SF - Wesley Johnson

PF - Donatas Motiejunas

C - Hassan Whiteside

I have been able to watch a few more games from Whiteside. He would be a good consolation prize if Cousins is gone. Massive potential, to both be good and bust.

The "massive potential" guys scare me. I am not a fan of guys that are projects for 3-5 years. It seems like often, once they finally develop they leave for another team anyway.

I would prefer someone who you can expect to come in and contribute immediately. I was very against Thabeet being taken so high and I think it is clear Memphis messed up there. You have to go with a guy who can play ball now, not one who is athletic/tall but doesn't know how to play.

The "massive potential" guys scare me. I am not a fan of guys that are projects for 3-5 years. It seems like often, once they finally develop they leave for another team anyway.

I would prefer someone who you can expect to come in and contribute immediately. I was very against Thabeet being taken so high and I think it is clear Memphis messed up there. You have to go with a guy who can play ball now, not one who is athletic/tall but doesn't know how to play.

Except Whiteside will come in and contribute right away. His defense and rebounding are NBA ready, but his offensive game is lacking. First call I make after drafting him is to Hakeem to see how he feels about an assistant coach job. He has been working with people in the summer and would be an excellent mentor for Whiteside. Unfortunately he is some kind of real estate mogul now and I doubt he would be interested.

Except Whiteside will come in and contribute right away. His defense and rebounding are NBA ready, but his offensive game is lacking. First call I make after drafting him is to Hakeem to see how he feels about an assistant coach job. He has been working with people in the summer and would be an excellent mentor for Whiteside. Unfortunately he is some kind of real estate mogul now and I doubt he would be interested.

Oh ok. Wasn't commenting on Whiteside in particular...I don't really follow college ball so I couldn't comment on his game but just overall I am very against taking a guy just because he is athletic or big.

Whiteside has really been moving up the draft as the season progresses. I've seen some of the drafts have Cousins moving down. I'd like to get Cousins first, but Whiteside would be a fine bonus prize.

Basically I'd be happy with Favors/Cousins/Davis/Whiteside, it's a good year for big men.

Edited by DrWho17

Whiteside has really been moving up the draft as the season progresses. I've seen some of the drafts have Cousins moving down. I'd like to get Cousins first, but Whiteside would be a fine bonus prize.

Basically I'd be happy with Favors/Cousins/Davis/Whiteside, it's a good year for big men.

Good news considering how pathetic our big men are.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Evan Turner | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Evan Turner

By Patrick Hayes

March 09, 2010, 1:00PM

Is he a point guard? Is he a shooting guard? Who cares. Evan Turner makes plays.

It'll be interesting if the Pistons get the second pick in the draft. The consensus best player behind John Wall is Evan Turner, and it's not even really close.

Technically, Turner might be a bit of a combo guard, something the Pistons have an abundance of. But if he's the best player available and potentially better than anyone on the Pistons roster, do they take him?

Measurables: 6-foot-7, 205-pound junior guard from Ohio State.

Stats: 19.5 points, 9.4 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 1.8 steals per game. Shoots 54 percent from the field and 29 percent from three.

Projected: 2nd (DraftExpress); 2nd (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits: First, apologies to Michigan fans for daring to suggest an OSU guy would be a good fit in Detroit. My only allegiance is to the Golden Grizz, so I have no biases as a result of college experience that would preclude me from thinking Evan Turner is awesome in every way.

Turner would simply fit well on any NBA team that drafts him. Check his stats -- a perimeter player grabbing almost 10 rebounds per game (you reading that, Manny Harris?) and shooting 54 percent from the field while dishing out six assists per game at an elite college program is simply amazing. Turner, with the benefit of three years of college ball to develop, is more NBA-ready than John Wall. Wall's a better prospect, but I could conceivably see Turner providing more immediate help than Wall. Skills-wise, he's a weird mix. Kind of a hybrid between Tyreke Evans and O.J. Mayo -- big guards who finish well, pass well and see the floor -- with a little bit of Jeff Green thrown in. Turner's a much better rebounder and more efficient shooter at the college level than Evans, Green or Mayo were, however.

This is going to sound really stupid if taken literally, so please take it as simply a skills comparison, not a coronation of Turner as the next all-time great, but the way he fills up a stat-sheet is very similar to LeBron James. He's obviously nowhere near the talent or physical freak James is, but their ability to influence a game in many ways and get everyone involved is similar.

Commenter extraordinaire brgulker actually has a much better comparison than James in the comments below. Think of Turner's ability to do many different things as Grant Hill. That's perfect.

Why he doesn't fit: As has been the case in several of these profiles, it comes down to philosophy: do you take the best player available regardless of need or do you draft the best player that fills your need? If the Pistons are in a position to draft Evan Turner and pass, I fully believe they will regret that decision for a long time.

Why I'd draft him: Because he's really, really good. Depending on John Wall's desire to become elite, Turner might actually turn into the best player in this draft. The Pistons need guys who play hard, who are athletic and who are versatile. Turner fills all of those needs.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Keith Benson | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Keith Benson

By Patrick Hayes

March 11, 2010, 1:00PM

AP Photo

Please allow me a moment to bask in Golden Grizzly pride. As an Oakland alum, we tend to spend most of our time explaining to people that Oakland University is, in fact, different than Oakland Community College, so having the Grizz secure a spot in the NCAA tourney, the school's second ever appearance, is kind of a big deal.

But while picking Keith Benson in the lottery is a bit of a stretch, he is a legit prospect and possible first round pick should he come out this year. The Pistons need size. I'm just saying he could be a fit.

Measurables: 6-foot-11, 225-pound junior center from Oakland University.

Stats: 17.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.3 blocks per game. Shoots 54 percent from the field.

Projected: Late first/early second round, although he's a good bet to stay in school.

Why he fits: Anyone who watched Benson in high school or even early in his Oakland career would most likely not have predicted the kind of impact player he'd become -- he might be the best college basketball player in the state of Michigan right now.

Benson has simply worked extremely hard to become a major NBA prospect. His footwork, athleticism, touch around the basket and ability to finish have all improved. He'll block shots at the NBA level, which will at least get him on the floor in some capacity for most teams, and he has a very high ceiling because of the vast improvement he's already shown.

Why he doesn't fit: Benson certainly needs to add some bulk. While he's gotten stronger during his college career, he's still a bit light by NBA post standards. Because he's played at a relatively small D-I in a conference that doesn't feature many skilled bigs, it's unclear how well his offensive game will translate to the NBA level.

Why I'd draft him: First, simply bias. But I also really like his game -- he's a center who doesn't wander out to the perimeter, he's long-armed, he'll rebound at a decent rate and he's a natural shot-blocker. It just so happens that the Pistons need all of those things.

Now, I'm not advocating using a lottery pick on him, but if Benson entered the draft and was still hanging around when the Pistons pick early in the second round, no doubt he'd be a worthy selection. But the Oakland fan in me also hopes he returns for his senior year to help the team start making those tourney appearances less rare.

Has Larry Sanders been discussed on this board yet? He is a guy I would love to get. If we could pick up an extra mid first round pick in the draft, I would be really happy to get this guy.

Here is something I tossed together to show each teams remaining schedule and how strong/weak it is. I only included teams currently in the lottery. I will try to keep it updated daily. This is for games through Friday night.

standings-1.jpg

Opp Win% - Remaining opponents win percentage.

Opp Road Win% - Remaining home game opponents win percentage when playing on the road.

Opp Home Win% - Remaining road game opponents win percentage when playing at home.

Win% Against Future Opp. - Your previous record against your remaining schedule.

Del, that's cool. I took a glance at the standings on Yahoo and tried figuring where the Pistons currently slotted and noticed a bunch of W-L records that seemed jumbled up together. But looking at it this way makes it look even closer than scanning through the standard standings.

Greg Monroe...he's kind of project where it looks like we'll be. Very impressive down the stretch this season, I think JT3 has opened him up a little bit.