Deleterious

2010 NBA Draft

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: DeMarcus Cousins | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: DeMarcus Cousins

By Patrick Hayes

February 23, 2010, 1:00PM

Welcome to the first in what will be a painfully long series at Full-Court Press.

Since the trade deadline passed last week and took with it a chunk of our page views original content opportunities, we'll try and replace recklessly speculating on deadline moves with baseless speculation on the draft.

I plan to look at a couple prospects a week -- basically, everyone with first and early second round potential leading up to the June draft. Feel free to leave your observations about each player in the comments.

First up is DeMarcus Cousins, rapidly becoming my favorite college basketball player of all-time (more on why in a minute).

Measurables: 6-11, 260 pounds, freshman forward at Kentucky.

Stats: 16.1 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 55 percent field goal percentage in just 22.4 minutes per game.

Projected: Fourth (DraftExpress); Sixth (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits with Detroit: The stats say it all -- he's already a big, strong rebounder and has an extremely advanced post game for a freshman big. Most freshmen come into college looking like B.J. Mullens did at Ohio State last year -- guys with definite upside who need work both to get stronger and develop an offensive game. I'm not saying Cousins doesn't need work -- he could stand to be in a little better shape, luckily sending him to the weight room with Ben Wallace could take care of that -- but he'll contribute anywhere as a rookie next year.

Why he doesn't fit: He's a bit brash. I'm frankly not sure how to gauge how fans would react to a guy like Cousins. He's got a bit of Rasheed Wallace in him with his emotions (although thankfully he doesn't have the desire to hang out around the three-point line). He also tends to play to the crowd a little bit -- remember, he's just a freshman. Some Pistons fans loved 'Sheed, for others the relationship with him was always a bit uneasy. Cousins might be in that mold personality-wise, for those who were not the biggest 'Sheed fans.

Why I'd pick him: The aforementioned post game would be unlike any the Pistons have had in recent memory, other than the occasional moments 'Sheed could be coaxed into staying on the block, although Cousins' will have to improve his footwork -- college post moves tend to not work was well on pro centers.

Cousins also just seems like fun -- many share his taste in sideline reporters. And his handling of some Mississippi State students posting his cell number on a message board, bombarding him with calls -- some of them friendly college kid banter, others more ill-intentioned (read: racist) -- was classic. He started answering the phone calls and even said that he didn't get a different number because he wanted to "call some of them back" after the game. He also let the crowd know during the game that they could call him.

Cousins is raw, but he's been a very efficient scorer in the paint and rebounder for arguably the best team in the country. Surrounded by good coaching and veterans like Ben Wallace, it's not a stretch to imagine Cousins becoming a very capable NBA post scorer.

What can win us a Top 2 lottery pick?

Otis Thorpe.

And as far as this...

If I'm the NBA, I'm drafting the big guy as in DeMarcus Cousins

When will these people learn... If the debate is over a big or a swing/guard, in the NEW NBA, you always - ALWAYS - take the swing/guard.

When will these people learn... If the debate is over a big or a swing/guard, in the NEW NBA, you always - ALWAYS - take the swing/guard.

So, in 2004, Orlando should have taken Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris, Josh Childress, or Luol Deng INSTEAD of Dwight Howard? Interesting.

So, in 2004, Orlando should have taken Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris, Josh Childress, or Luol Deng INSTEAD of Dwight Howard? Interesting.

The guard has to be clearly more talented, all things being equal quality/star bigmen are harder to find. In this case I think Wall/Turner both have a better chance of being stars then Cousins, in the NBA you can't pass up star potential.

I'm not sure I buy your example anyway, in 2005 Bogut/MarvinW went #1/#2, Deron W/C Paul went #3/#4, 2006 Bargnani #1, Roy #6, 2007 Oden #1, Durant #2, 2003 Lebron #1, Darko #2, 2008 Rose #1, Beasley #2. The 2004 draft is the exception rather then the norm.

Edited by DrWho17

The guard has to be clearly more talented, all things being equal quality/star bigmen are harder to find. In this case I think Wall/Turner both have a better chance of being stars then Cousins, in the NBA you can't pass up star potential.

I'm not sure I buy your example anyway, in 2005 Bogut/MarvinW went #1/#2, Deron W/C Paul went #3/#4, 2006 Bargnani #1, Roy #6, 2007 Oden #1, Durant #2, 2003 Lebron #1, Darko #2, 2008 Rose #1, Beasley #2. The 2004 draft is the exception rather then the norm.

Frankly it seems like quite a few mistakes were made taking the pure big man rather than the versitle scoring G/F.

Duncan, Shaq, and Garnett have 8 of the last 10 Championships. One other went to the Pistons (with Sheed and Ben) and another to Kobe (but not until he got Gasol). Make of that what you will.

Duncan, Shaq, and Garnett have 8 of the last 10 Championships. One other went to the Pistons (with Sheed and Ben) and another to Kobe (but not until he got Gasol). Make of that what you will.

Kobe, DWade, Parker have 8 of the last 10 and the ones without them had Chauncey and Rip and the other had Allen/Rondo/Pierce. Make of that what you will

All championships recently have had at least one all star caliber guard/sf and one big.

solid point..in fact Shaq and Duncan ran off 5 in a row and 6/7..although the last 3 have been small guys.

solid point..in fact Shaq and Duncan ran off 5 in a row and 6/7..although the last 3 have been small guys.

Well Shaq had guys named Kobe and Dwayne Wade on his team. And Tony Parker is no slouch either.

Well Shaq had guys named Kobe and Dwayne Wade on his team. And Tony Parker is no slouch either.

Seriously in those days Kobe had Shaq..and Duncan + a mop handle would have been good in those years..Parker was good..but actually Ginobli was the key contributor.

Seriously in those days Kobe had Shaq..and Duncan + a mop handle would have been good in those years..Parker was good..but actually Ginobli was the key contributor.

Ginobli and Parker are both borderline all stars. I still say you need an all star small and big to win a title now. I mean Chauncey and Ben were both all stars for Pistons, Parker and Duncan both all stars (I think Ginobli may have made a game), Kobe and Shaq both all stars, Kobe and Pau both all stars, Garnett and Pierce/Allen/Rondo all all stars.

Otis Thorpe.

And as far as this...

Do you really believe some of the stuff that you say, or do you just say it before thinking/to get a rise out of people?

Basically, unless we somehow landed #1, then yeah, I'd obviously take Wall. If we land somewhere in the Top 5, and Cousins, Favors or Davis (maybe not as much after his injury) are on the board, we'd be crazy not to take one of them. After spending $35 million on CV, $55 million on BG, we've got Tayshaun, Rip & Stuckey still on the team, we just drafted 4 SF's, 3 of who we kept, and you don't want to draft a big man.....When all we've got is Ben & Kwame, both of who are FA's after this season.

Yeah, I guess I can see how that makes sense.....:tired:

If the wing and big are of equal talent, always take the big. Big men are much harder to find/develop than a wing.

However the bigs are more likely to bust (at least in my opinion) and are more likely to be injury prone. Its a tough call.

In this situation, I really like Cousins and dont know what guards would be available when we pick that I would like better. So I would like the Cousins pick.

So is it safe to say this is not a golden era for post players.

So is it safe to say this is not a golden era for post players.

I think it is easier to project a guard/wing player then it is a big man, therefore it is a safer pick. A highly drafted big is a bigger risk, but can be a bigger reward. That is why I don't bash the Darko pick, Dumars was going big, it didn't work out but he was going for it.

If the wing and big are of equal talent, always take the big. Big men are much harder to find/develop than a wing.

Definitely.

The reason you see so many big men busts is because there are so few of them and they are so critical to a contending team that drafters reach for them earlier than they should. It's a lot easier to find a borderline all-star guard later on, through a trade, or in free agency just based upon how many more of them there are in the NBA. And if you have that dominant big man in the paint, then your borderline all-star guards suddenly start looking like world beaters, with open shots and single coverage all day.

My take is that because it is harder to find a talented big, GMs have historically over-valued bigs in the draft and are far more willing to take on a project or overlook flaws in the big's game, hence the higher bust rate. Kind of similar to drafting a QB in the NFL.

That written, if a team is convinced that a big has similar (or better) ceiling and similar (or better) polish as a wing, I don't see how the team passes on the big unless they are loaded at the position or wish to trade the pick.

If the choice is between a wing and a big with similar ceilings, but the wing is more polished or is much more likely to reach his ceiling, I probably would take the wing, depending on the make-up and play-off aspirations of the team.

And Darko and Oden were the right choice?

This is not a big man's league anymore.

It's a talent league. Big/Small, doesn't matter. If you get lucky your talent comes with the 'it' factor, that wins championships, not just games. Case in point.

Tracey McGrady on pure talent is absurd. There may not have been a more individually talented player in the last decade...but in hindsight, he's not one of the 10 guys you try to build around.

And Darko and Oden were the right choice?

This is not a big man's league anymore.

Don't go overboard with the two examples....

Still doesn't change the fact that the Pistons have absolutely no big men at all, and are completely stacked with Guards, 3's & undersized 4's. Drafting more players at that position would just be foolish.

Don't go overboard with the two examples....

Still doesn't change the fact that the Pistons have absolutely no big men at all, and are completely stacked with Guards, 3's & undersized 4's. Drafting more players at that position would just be foolish.

I think drafting some young, athletic, good ones..would be advisable. especially a PG.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Ekpe Udoh | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Ekpe Udoh

By Patrick Hayes

February 25, 2010, 12:00PM

I looked at a top-of-the lottery big Tuesday, so we'll look at a late lottery/mid-first round one today as our painstakingly long look at potential Pistons draftees continues.

You might remember Baylor's Ekpe Udoh from such college basketball teams as the University of Michigan. It turns out, he became quite the player after transferring to Baylor.

Measurables: 6-foot-10, 240 pounds, junior F/C at Baylor.

Stats: 13.4 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 4.3 (!) blocks per game, shoots 48 percent from the field.

Projected: 14th (DraftExpress); 28th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits with Detroit: When at Michigan, Udoh was considered a bit raw offensively. He sat out a year after transferring and has added a decent offensive game to his already good rebounding/shot-blocking instincts. At 6-10/240, he's not huge, but he's also not the wiry project many bigs are when they hit the NBA.

Udoh, much like Hasheem Thabeet, will contribute whether his offense ever develops into NBA-level or not. He'll block shots and rebound decently at any level. Bigs who can do those things, even in limited minutes, are hard to find. It's why Dikembe Mutombo played until he was almost 60.

Since his last year at Michigan, Udoh didn't just improve incrementally. He improved drastically. He was playing significant minutes at Michigan -- about 26 a game as a sophomore. His scoring is up nearly seven points per game, his rebounding is up five per game, blocks are up one per game, his field goal percentage is five percent higher, his free throw percentage is up seven percent. Those things don't happen to someone who doesn't have a tremendous work ethic.

Why he doesn't fit with Detroit: Udoh is putting up similar numbers to DeMarcus Cousins (except for blocks), but playing about 13 more minutes per game. He's also on a Baylor team that is obviously nowhere near as stacked as Cousins' Kentucky team, so Udoh is more of a focal point.

For a big who plays around the basket, hitting 48 percent of his field goals isn't great. It's tolerable considering he draws a lot of attention and considering that college zone defenses often make life very difficult on talented big men, but any big the Pistons consider drafting should be someone they expect to shoot a very high percentage. Maybe Udoh can do that, but I'm not sure his post-game will translate to the NBA immediately.

Why I'd pick him: He's a better athlete than Thabeet -- I can't stand plodding centers -- and he works hard. He'd give the Pistons size, a guy who doesn't need the ball to score -- remember, any offensive threat that comes in is going to have to battle with Rip Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and, theoretically, and improved and contributing Austin Daye to get shots. Assuming Ben Wallace comes back, the Pistons would have two great shot-blockers who could make the shaky perimeter defense less of a concern.

It cracks me up what he says about Thabeet contributing. It was announced this week that Haddadi will replace Thabeet as the Grizzlies backup C.