Johnny Mac

Wings/Pistons shared downtown arena?

Sportz, would a new Red Wings arena at the Eddie Statue site make sense? Might require massive public transit investment...

obviously..I know the funding isn't a problem either.

Keep in mind that nobody would be "forced" to do anything. These are all business decisions and I think in business anything is possible. We don't know who a new Pistons buyer would be, what they want, etc. Someone could come in and give Karen what she wants for all of PSE and say they're keeping them in Auburn Hills and the Palace and if the Wings want to play there, then they can try to work something out. But the Wings or NBA or any government entity couldn't make them move or share an arena. The plight of the City of Detroit or the issue the Wings face with their arena is not really a potential NBA buyer's problem.

No real news here, but straight from Chris Ilitch today...

- "New is gaining more traction than renovating"

- Wants whatever happens (new/renovated) to "impact the community in the best way possible".

- It'll take two to four years to get an arena built, but "we aren't there yet"...it's still "down the road a little bit"

In terms of the second point, I have a sneaky suspicion they are eyeing the land between I-75 and Midtown to build the new arena. That area basically sucks and it would really be great for the community to link downtown with the WSU area...especially with the new rail coming onboard. They could also continue to make a crap ton of money on the parking lots behind the Fox. There was also an article a few weeks back in the Detroit News about a bunch of suspicious real estate movement in that area.

No real news here, but straight from Chris Ilitch today...

- "New is gaining more traction than renovating"

- Wants whatever happens (new/renovated) to "impact the community in the best way possible".

- It'll take two to four years to get an arena built, but "we aren't there yet"...it's still "down the road a little bit"

In terms of the second point, I have a sneaky suspicion they are eyeing the land between I-75 and Midtown to build the new arena. That area basically sucks and it would really be great for the community to link downtown with the WSU area...especially with the new rail coming onboard. They could also continue to make a crap ton of money on the parking lots behind the Fox. There was also an article a few weeks back in the Detroit News about a bunch of suspicious real estate movement in that area.

Who is financing it?? who is financing an arena and Cobo's renovation, you dont get one without the other.

Let's have a pool..I have 2019 for the first game.

I wonder if Chris Ilitch knows about this whole finance thing? Did they teach that at UM?

I wonder if Chris Ilitch knows about this whole finance thing? Did they teach that at UM?

Yeah, they taught him how to count it..but I betting not how to raise it, or spend much of his own. That little structure called COPA is whats referred to as a precedent. They didn't exactly ante up a ton of their own cash, financing is more difficult now, their league is struggling as is the NBA and their city iis dying if not alrerady DEAD. They probably need a finance director with enthusiasm and belief..I'm sensing a good fit here.

Hey..maybe they could buy a lotto ticket..it has the same likelyhood of coming in..

Edited by sportz4life

So when he says "new is gaining more traction" I'm guessing it's never crossed his mind how to pay for it? I'm to expect it's just not something they think is possible? That nobody has written that up on the big board in their conference room?

So when he says "new is gaining more traction" I'm guessing it's never crossed his mind how to pay for it? I'm to expect it's just not something they think is possible? That nobody has written that up on the big board in their conference room?

Sportz obviously knows more than the Illitch's. So I hope they can somehow get in touch with him in the coming days so he can show them how it really should be done.

It's crossed his mind..he just doesn't have a way..it's why he talks in allegories and parables. Unlike me..who speaks clearly..as in they DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY.

I'll make it real simple for you..

How bout this.

I'll donate $100.00 bucks to any charity of your choice..if they dont make a deal to play 4 years or more in the Palace. If they do, you ante up the $100.00 to my charity.

How bout it.

Edited by sportz4life

why would I do that? I'm not the one speaking in certainties. That's just stupid.

Isn't that why they hired Tom Wilson??

why would I do that? I'm not the one speaking in certainties. That's just stupid.

Just testing your resolve..we now know it's more about who your arguing with, rather than what your arguing about.

Edited by sportz4life

what do you think my opinion is?

My opinion is that the Wings are sorting out their various arena options, do not want to move to the palace, want to build an arena downtown close to their other enterprises and will do what they can to achieve that. They're smart people and know a lot more about this situation than you or I do. Any definitive comments about the situation is just plain old speaking out of our asses.

How is it possible for that to be a 'strawman or Sean Avery'? That doesn't make any sense. You aren't using the term properly.

Now at the end of the day they may well end up at The Palace either short term, medium term, or permanently. It's business. Anything can happen and everything is negotiable.

what do you think my opinion is?

My opinion is that the Wings are sorting out their various arena options, do not want to move to the palace, want to build an arena downtown close to their other enterprises and will do what they can to achieve that. They're smart people and know a lot more about this situation than you or I do. Any definitive comments about the situation is just plain old speaking out of our asses.

How is it possible for that to be a 'strawman or Sean Avery'? That doesn't make any sense. You aren't using the term properly.

Now at the end of the day they may well end up at The Palace either short term, medium term, or permanently. It's business. Anything can happen and everything is negotiable.

Ob..we all have wishes, then reality kicks in.

They ave done analysis on this topic, the overwhelming percentage of DRW season ticker holders reside in Oakland County.

They would love to build behind the Fox, it makes sense for a hockey only arena, they have no financing, none on the horizon and any idea the Pistons would move is laughable.

When you make a buisness decison, you deal in realities. My opinion is the same as it's been for months, they are moving to the Palace, they will stay there for a while, suite revenue, especially pairing the two sports, are too enticing. In 8-10 years economics will be different, the Palace will be 30 years old, the transition will make more sense..

so you think they are just faking this and it's all a charade? They're minds are already made up?

Or they are not as smart as you and haven't figured it out yet?

so you think they are just faking this and it's all a charade? They're minds are already made up?

Or they are not as smart as you and haven't figured it out yet?

They have it all figured out..why do you think Tom Wilson is there??

If they could have resolved it without him, dont you think they would have, Seriously, for how long have the Illitches wanted to build a downtown arena, for how long have they know the JLA lease was expiring and the facility needed renovation. For how long has the city of Detroit and Wayne County know COBO needed to be renovated and was a dump..why have these things never been resolved, especially when the enviroment allowed for financing..now it doesn't..how come in times of easy capital, they never got this done??

Guess the answer?? It's not hard.

You never seem to address this reality.

...the overwhelming percentage of DRW season ticker holders reside in Oakland County...

Is this really true? The "overwhelming" percentage of Red Wings' season ticket holders are in Oakland County? Have they (the Red Wings organization) made that information public? I had heard Downriver held a large number of season ticket holders.

Is this really true? The "overwhelming" percentage of Red Wings' season ticket holders are in Oakland County? Have they (the Red Wings organization) made that information public? I had heard Downriver held a large number of season ticket holders.

Its not true at all, just let sportz live in his own world.

Recent Pistons firings shake up mood at The Palace | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Why were Dobek and the others fired?

You can make a case the Pistons were concerned with leaks from employees to the new management team at Ilitch Holdings, who remain bitter rivals. If that is the case, that could end speculation that the Red Wings might play at The Palace while waiting for a new arena to be built. It also would seem to end speculation that Wilson is working behind the scenes to broker a deal that would allow Red Wings and Tigers owner Mike Ilitch to purchase the Pistons.

There are two men with Detroit ties who might be interested in buying the Pistons. Compuware owner Peter Karmanos has the cash and the incentive. His company headquarters is downtown and a downtown sports arena would benefit him and heighten his profile.

The other is Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. He cannot own two NBA teams, but Gilbert, an MSU graduate, might try to sell the Cavaliers if superstar LeBron James bolts for another team. In the past, he has expressed an interest in owning the Pistons.

Gilbert has business ties to Detroit and has the money to pull it off.

I have no idea if Foster is speaking from a position of knowledge or just speculating. He was a former beat writer so I suspect he has lots of sources still. For all we know they could have been let go for something totally unrelated to Tom Wilson or Ilitch Holdings. Still it's interesting. I remember Dobek from way back.

I see Karmanos and Ilitch sharing an arena around the same time I'd expect to see Claude Lemieux and Kris Draper walking on Belle Isle together.

June 10, 2010

Palace: Ex-staffers stole trade secrets

Lawsuit claims they took confidential data when they joined the Ilitch operation

MIKE MARTINDALE

The Detroit News

Pontiac -- The folks at The Palace of Auburn Hills figured a lot of business savvy blew out the door when longtime president and CEO Tom Wilson took a job with Detroit businessman Mike Ilitch in February.

But they apparently didn't count on Wilson wooing away nine key Palace employees who, a lawsuit now alleges, stole confidential data to fill seats and suites at Joe Louis Arena and unlawfully compete for sponsors, advertisers, concessionaires and vendors.

The Oakland Circuit Court lawsuit alleges violations of Michigan's Trade Secrets Act. It also claims breach of contract, unfair competition and conspiracy by Olympia and ex-employees of Palace Sports & Entertainment (PSE).

At stake are thousands, perhaps millions of dollars, in entertainment-industry related funds coveted by Palace Sports and also Olympia.

Palace Sports owns and operates the Detroit Pistons, The Palace, Meadow Brook Music Hall and DTE Energy Theatre.

Olympia owns and operates the Fox Theatre and books and operates Joe Louis Arena, Comerica Park, Cobo Arena, Masonic Temple Theatre and City Theatre. Olympia is a division of Ilitch Holdings that includes the Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, Little Caesars Pizza and more.

"Given the circumstances, the Palace and the Pistons had no choice but to seek court intervention in order to protect their businesses against what appears to be a coordinated predatory attack on their confidential business information concerning their businesses and customers, and the defendants should not be allowed to reap the fruit of their misconduct," said attorney James Roach, who filed the lawsuit.

The lawsuit is the most recent example of disarray at The Palace, where four employees were fired last month in a shake-up that included the vice president of public relations and some sales executives.

The suit, assigned to Judge Edward Sosnick, seeks an injunction against Olympia and the ex-Palace Sports employees, demands the return of confidential records and seeks monetary damages.

The defendants all signed confidentiality agreements that gave them access to confidential information to perform duties for Palace Sports, but not for their own benefit or Olympia, according to the complaint.

Wilson, not named as a defendant, could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Olympia spokesman Thomas Pyden, in an e-mailed statement to The News, called the lawsuit "sour grapes."

"In nearly 30 years of conducting business in this community and across the country, we have prided ourselves on adhering to the highest ethical standards as individuals and as a company -- and we will continue to do so," the statement said.

"While we are still reviewing the lengthy lawsuit filed today by Palace Sports & Entertainment, it seems to be a classic case of sour grapes over the voluntary departure of key Palace employees who chose to pursue what they perceived as better career opportunities." Wilson, a native Detroiter, joined the Pistons in 1977 and spent the past 21 years leading PSE and the past 18 seasons as president and chief executive officer of the Pistons. Wilson reportedly was negotiating a new PSE contract when he announced in February that he was joining Olympia and Ilitch Holdings.

According to the complaint, Wilson was reminded in March to return all PSE documents and electronic data, and he responded he had not taken any materials.

Within weeks, according to the lawsuit, Wilson began making inquiries to Palace/Pistons owner Karen Davidson as to the possibility of Olympia and its affiliate companies purchasing PSE and the Pistons team.

At the same time, according to the complaint, Wilson, without disclosing it to Davidson, began soliciting senior PSE executives, including key employees with "lucrative above-market increases in pay and long-term contracts."

On March 29, one PSE employee resigned for a job with Olympia, according to the lawsuit and five days later, five others did the same.

On April 23, a customer reported to Palace Sports that one former PSE employee had called him and was "very aggressive in selling on behalf of the Red Wings and made disparaging comments" regarding The Palace.

That complaint initiated an internal probe into potential theft of confidential documents and data, including suite pricing and customer lists, according to the lawsuit.

The suit also alleges that another former Palace Sports employee attempted to "hack into" one of PSE's customer databases after going to work for Olympia.

On April 30, two more PSE employees resigned and took Olympia jobs. On May 3, another followed suit.

Two admitted e-mailing account lists to their home e-mail addresses, but had since deleted them.

Those findings sparked meetings between attorneys and the request for return of data.

The plot continues to thicken.

Surprised that these people didn't have non compete clauses in their contracts. There can be a lot of gray area when it comes to confidential data and sources. It's easy to say "Yeah, that database is ours, you can't have it." But if you are in sales and you have been working with Joe Schmo for 15 years then you probably have his contact info memorized. You know what he likes and probably when his contract is up. That could be confidential information but when it's stored in your brain you may not realize it is confidential. That way the 6 month or 1 year non compete allows that knowledge to sort of pass through and wear off.

Wings lease expires July 31.... no new one announced yet.

Pistons expect to be sold by season opener. Has the NBA schedule been announced yet? The NHL has been. Any Wings/Pistons conflict?

Surprised that these people didn't have non compete clauses in their contracts. There can be a lot of gray area when it comes to confidential data and sources. It's easy to say "Yeah, that database is ours, you can't have it." But if you are in sales and you have been working with Joe Schmo for 15 years then you probably have his contact info memorized. You know what he likes and probably when his contract is up. That could be confidential information but when it's stored in your brain you may not realize it is confidential. That way the 6 month or 1 year non compete allows that knowledge to sort of pass through and wear off.

If Joe Schmo is listed in ANY trade publication, phone book or on the internet etc then you can contact him without much concern to lawsuits etc...