SpartanValor

2010 Michigan State Football

Maybe the fact Michigan almost beat you this year in your home stadium.

The streak is over at 2 wins. :wink:

Michigan almost did a lot this year :cheeky:

I saw a game that had MSU outgain M in yards 417 to 251, and held their rushing attack to 28 total yards (compared to 197 rushing yards for MSU). And that was after our conference leading QB was injured, edwin baker didn't play, and we slammed on the breaks with our prevent offense, trying to control the clock at the end (TOP was 39 minutes to 20, in favor of MSU). Imagine where we would have been without 100 yards in penalties!

Yes, the game went to OT, but the game itself, in my biased opinion, was completely one sided. We had issues that prevented our point total (outside of what was already mentioned, we twice kicked FGs from the goalline because we didn't have a RB who could punch it in), and Tate Forcier did start taking matters into his own hands at the end. But this game was, IMO, far less competitive than the one in 2008.

As for M, they lost their two best defensive players this offseason, and until RR and his staff puts half as much effort into prepping for this game as MSU does (with the timed snap counts in 2008, and complete shutdown of their offense with a horrendous defense in 2009), I just don't feel like this is a game that M should be favored in.

Tate Forcier is going to be really good but only a sophomore next year so Michigan will probably at best be 8-4.

But you have to come to Ann Arbor so it will be a tough matchup.

I just don't see MSU winning that game.

Anyhow I should put forth my 2 cents about MSU since that is the thread title. Just had to get a few barbs in.

I think MSU will be much better in 2010.

The Glenn Winston situation really hurt their teams morale all year.

Nichols never really panned out but Cousins showed he is going to be good (too much was expected from him this year as he played sparingly his freshman season). MSU has some good talent recruited. I think they realistically could go 8-4 and tie Michigan in the Big 10. Really if you are in the Big10 then 8-4 is a very good season.

I see Ohio State still does not have room for you on the schedule. That will help the record. If you can steal a game on the road at Northwestern 9-3 may be possible.

Tate Forcier is going to be really good but only a sophomore next year so Michigan will probably at best be 8-4.

But you have to come to Ann Arbor so it will be a tough matchup.

I just don't see MSU winning that game.

Anyhow I should put forth my 2 cents about MSU since that is the thread title. Just had to get a few barbs in.

I think MSU will be much better in 2010.

The Glenn Winston situation really hurt their teams morale all year.

Nichols never really panned out but Cousins showed he is going to be good (too much was expected from him this year as he played sparingly his freshman season). MSU has some good talent recruited. I think they realistically could go 8-4 and tie Michigan in the Big 10. Really if you are in the Big10 then 8-4 is a very good season.

I see Ohio State still does not have room for you on the schedule. That will help the record. If you can steal a game on the road at Northwestern 9-3 may be possible.

I don't think MSU would have to "steal" that game. We've beaten NU the past two years, and they lose Mike Kafka. I think Fitz is a great coach, but I think NU takes a step back next year.

I could see 7-9 wins next year for MSU, assuming the defense heads back towards "slightly below average" from "horrendous".

"Sure" wins:

Sept. 4 WESTERN MICHIGAN

Sept. 11 Florida Atlantic (Ford Field in Detroit)

Sept. 25 NORTHERN COLORADO

Nov. 6 MINNESOTA

More wins here than losses (in no particular order):

Sept. 18 NOTRE DAME

Oct. 9 at Michigan

Oct. 16 ILLINOIS

Oct. 23 at Northwestern

Nov. 20 PURDUE

"Sure" losses:

Oct. 2 WISCONSIN

Oct. 30 at Iowa

Nov. 27 at Penn State

More specific prediction about 7 months from now....:happy:

r8BhxnGng2DgcTV.jpg

As was mentioned, Jones is coming back...William Gholston received a 5th star from Rivals (up to #21 in the nation now) and it sounds like Skyler Schofner might be due to make a nice leap tomorrow...Of the group suspended for the Rather Hall incident; Jamhir Williams, Ashton Legget and Brynden Trawick are transferring - and Ishmyl Johnson is no longer with the team...Dantonio is looking to add 5 more recruits to the current class...Keith Nichol is going to get a serious look at WR.

Of the group suspended for the Rather Hall incident; Jamhir Williams, Ashton Legget and Brynden Trawick are transferring - and Ishmyl Johnson is no longer with the team...

Are/were any of these guys legit talents?

I think Dantonio has said of the players involved in the incident, if they are still enrolled in school and elgible for classes that they would be invited to take part in the weight rooms..........

So, as it stands, players no longer in school are out, others who are staying at MSU for school are welcome for minimal participation but not on the team per say ................and to the rest who are transferring.....good riddance!

I could care less if they were all 5 star whatevers, if you want to transfer, good luck to you, thanks for leaving the program.

Jamiihr Williams was a 2-Star recruit.

Ashton Leggett was a 3-Star recruit.

Brynden Trawick was a 3-Star recruit.

Ishmyl Johnson was a 3-Star recruit.

I liked Trawick quite a bit. Was sorry to see him go. That's the downside to national recruiting though. If kids aren't breaking into the rotation early and seeing some field, it makes being a 1000+ miles from home seem like the other side of the earth.

I liked Trawick quite a bit. Was sorry to see him go. That's the downside to national recruiting though. If kids aren't breaking into the rotation early and seeing some field, it makes being a 1000+ miles from home seem like the other side of the earth.

But was he going to see PT at MSU? I know they tried him at safety, but he was too big. Then they put him at LB, and it didn't sound like he was going to beat out who we have/are bringing in. I know he was young, so maybe I'm jumping the gun, but that was just my impression. Which is usually worthless...

As was mentioned, Jones is coming back...William Gholston received a 5th star from Rivals (up to #21 in the nation now) and it sounds like Skyler Schofner might be due to make a nice leap tomorrow...Of the group suspended for the Rather Hall incident; Jamhir Williams, Ashton Legget and Brynden Trawick are transferring - and Ishmyl Johnson is no longer with the team...Dantonio is looking to add 5 more recruits to the current class...Keith Nichol is going to get a serious look at WR.

Phew, Johnny can now breath a sigh of relief :wink:

Seriously though, that is exciting. Changes in star rating doesn't change their talent, but its nice to see them get some good publicity.

And for selfish reasons, as an MSU fan, I love that Greg Jones is coming back. Nice having an All American return to school.

I see that MSU re-upped for an extra 10 years with WJR! Excellent news! One of the most powerful AM frequencies on the dial, it isn't uncommon to hear or read people talk about picking up the signal late in the evenings from deep into the South (KY, TN, AL even FL).

I don't know if David Brandon was going to try and make a run back at it, but I would have thought Michigan would want to. Either way, another great move from Hollis and company.

Not sure how legit the source is, but here you go:

Michigan State:

Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Michigan State Head Coach Mark Dantonio has talked with Reggie Mitchell (Kansas Running Backs/Recruiting

Coordinator), Sedrick Irvin (Memphis Running Backs coach) and Tim Spencer (Chicago Bears Running Backs coach) to replace Dan Enos who left for the

Head job with Central Michigan

FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football

When I first heard that Dan Enos was under serious consideration for CMU's head job, Reggie Mitchell was the first name that popped into my head. Of course shortly after that, Mitchell jumped off Ron Zook's sinking ship for Turner Gill and KU...I'm not sure how those details would exactly work out, but I'm assuming not well for MSU. Regardless, I'd love to have Reggie back.

Wow, and if you vote at the link; 86% of people are smart and liked the old one better, which is funny, cause it's not even close!

I like the tightening around the helmet/nose area. Something like this...

spartan-logo.gif

Sometimes, a tweak is all something really needs. An all new logo wasn't necessary.

Wow, and if you vote at the link; 86% of people are smart and liked the old one better, which is funny, cause it's not even close!

I like the tightening around the helmet/nose area. Something like this...

spartan-logo.gif

Sometimes, a tweak is all something really needs. An all new logo wasn't necessary.

Well done Benke. We've got to find a way to stop the presses because frankly, your cross-pollination is a winner.

On the one hand, oh dear god:

I have an inside source at Michigan State who was shown the logo along with an entire redesign of MSU athletics. It appears to be another sports rebranding strategy similar to what Nike has done with Oregon and Oregon State.

In the proposed plan, the shade of Spartan green with be noticeably different and consistent among varsity athletics. For the football team, the modern logo was paired with a bold helmet stripe and updated Nike uniforms.

On the other hand:

Number of recruits MSU has gotten because of their uniforms: 0

Number of recruits Oregon has gotten because of their uniforms: More than 0

So, for now, I guess I'll learn to be ok with it. But I really would prefer Benke's version of the logo....

Uni Watch