mbrieve

Tigers Game Used Thread

I'll post some of my other stuff later, but this is my latest Tigers game used acquisitions.

Ruppert Jones LVS (most likely used by Gary Pettis) and has a repaired handle crack. I knew when I purchased it that it was most likely Jones issued and used by someone else as Jones has never worn #24. Through my research, I date this bat to his time with the Angels (85-87). In 1985, Rufino Linares wore #24 and played 18 games and had 43 ABs. In 1986 and 1987, Gary Pettis wore #24 and played in close to 300 games and had over 900 ABs. So, the probability that Pettis used the bat is much higher.

Jonesbat01.jpg

Jonesbat02.jpg

Jonesbat03.jpg

Jonesbat04.jpg

A few years ago, I pulled out a lot of our bats when we were building our deck. I used them for the risers in the railing. Even though I layered them in polyurathane, they look horrible now. Just off the top of my head I recall a couple from Deivi Cruz, Frank Catalanoto, Cody Ross. Here in my shop I see a Scott Sizemore and a Max St. Pierre. I have a lot more in a cabinet out back. Also a pair of Bobby Higginson batting gloves. Not game used, but a signed Kaline bat is above my door. Also have the game used caps from two our last managers for the local affiliate. I don't bother the players for signatures nor am I a collector. Just hang in there with my camera.

P1000805.jpg

Actually took a photo of all my bats the other day (some aren't game used):

Magglio Ordonez - Old Hickory

Miguel Cabrera - Carolina Clubs

Billy Nowlin - Old Hickory

Kody Kaiser - Max Bat

Brandon Douglas - Louisville Slugger

Justin Henry - Carolina Clubs

Justin McLanahan - Louisville Slugger

Kyle Peters - Louisville Slugger

Non Game Used:

Willie Horton - Rawlings Big Stick

Cecil Fielder - Rawlings Big Stick

Tigers Coopertown Bat

I've also got game used bats of Kirk Gibson and Robert Fick on the way. Gibson should be here today. I'll post pictures.

Jon Kibler Game Used Jersey:

S5035147.jpg

Thomas McCollum Game Used Goalie Stick (Red Wings 2008 First Round Pick)

P1000806.jpg

P1000809.jpg

I guess this could also be considered game used since it's seen more playing time then any equipment ever has:

P1000725.jpg

(Thanks to those of you on this board that have helped out on the project so far)

Also have some game used batting gloves from Joe Bowen and game used baseballs signed by Alex Avila, Bryan Pounds and Casey Crosby

Edited by xmartyx

brokenbatssmall.JPG

The bat in the middle is Clete Thomas. I also have a Chris Robinson bat in there, who is now in the Cubs organization. Finally, I think the piece at the bottom is from Jeramy Laster. I think I have some others here at the house, including Mark Haske, and I also have some used lineup cards.

we have baseball "stuff" for the memories they brought us, not to make $$ on them...This is much nicer that a $50.00 anytime!

we have baseball "stuff" for the memories they brought us, not to make $$ on them...This is much nicer that a $50.00 anytime!

Amen. I have stuff I would give away, but never sell (reading this Marty? FTF only)

If the Mudman ever checks in on this thread, plan on a long inventory list. The guy is amazing on what he receives.

Amen. I have stuff I would give away, but never sell (reading this Marty? FTF only)

I hear you guys on this. That's why I'm finishing my basement. I need more room for my stuff because I could never imagine selling it off.

I have a large memorabilia collection but not so much game used...It can certainly be hard to obtain...

But I do have autographed game used bats from Brett Clevlen and Michael Holliman...both came from the Arizona Fall League.

Sorry no pics.

I've got the bat Clete Thomas hit the walk off HR vs Baltimore --

--he gave it to me as a birthday present this year!!

--Also have a LOT of stuff from our Team Florida USA alumni players including the first baseball Zack Greinke signed the day he agreeed to terms with the Royals (I was with him)! --

Some pretty good stuff !

I don't have a lot of Tigers GU. The Wilson bat is outstanding, and it was my mom's great suggestion to ask him to personalize and date it (I was a kid). It's amazing to me that it was more than 27 years ago.

* Glenn Wilson bat (uncracked), personalized and dated in October, 1982 following his rookie season. #12 is written on the handle and the tape was loaded with pine tar at the time.

* Tiger Stadium seats (#15 & 16)

* Baseball given to my son by Vance Wilson during a spring training practice in '07.

* A few baseballs from BP at Tiger Stadium.

* Numerous baseball cards with GU pieces.

* I used to have a GU Matt Nokes bat (cracked), but it disappeared a few years ago.

61456.jpg

61457.jpg

Got my Gibson bat today. Can't wait to get it signed next month.

P1000817.jpg

P1000818.jpg

P1000820.jpg

Let me know how it goes with trying to get it signed. I have a Gibson bat too and have not worked up the guts to try to get it signed. I have heard horror stories about Gibson with game used equipment. Most of the stories involve Gibby yelling that it was stolen and often refusing to sign it. I have never had a bad experience with him and want to keep it that way.

I read this story on the Game Used Universe Forum and thought some of you might be interested (note: I tried to censor the swearing, but may have missed some of it):

"During the late 1980's, a friend of mine owned a limo service in Detroit. He used to drive several of the Tigers around for various "activities" i.e., lady friends in the back. Instead of cash, my friend asked the various Tigers for game used bats and equipment. One of the more frequent customers was Kirk Gibson. Gibson gave my friend not only his equipment, but also bats, hats and batting helmets from other Tiger players. In 1990, my friend decided to sell quite a bit of his equipment, and I purchased it. One of the better items was Gibson’s home batting helmets from 1986 or 1987.

Living is Seattle from 1988 through 1995, I often went to the Mariners games with our corporate tickets that allowed me amazing access to the players during BP. I took the Gibson helmet to the game in 1994, and once inside, spotted Gibson and Juan Samuel near the first base line. I called Samuel over, and he signed several Phillies hats and a Phillies warm-up for me. I then called Gibson over, and explained to him that we had a mutual friend in Detroit who used to drive him around, and this friend was aware that I was a huge Gibson fan and gave me a helmet for my collection. Gibson took one look at the helmet, the came nose-to-nose with me (the old Kingdome allowed the players near the first base line to come directly up to fans) and said, "Tom is no f---ing friend of mine-he's an acquaintance". I then said, "Acquaintance-O.k.-can you please sign the helmet KIRK GIBSON-GAMER on the bill?". He shook his head in disgust, and began walking towards the dugout. At this point, I had nothing to loose and I walked behind the dugout into the first row of seats and said, "Kirk-thank's alot-welcome to Seattle-you're a great signer and the fans really love ya'". Wrong thing to say. Gibson immediately stared me down in front of the dugout and screamed, "How did you get the f---ing helmet? How did you get this f---ing helmet?” Now, several of the players have gathered around, as they were taking BP, and all eyes were on me. I said, "All I want is for you to autograph it. I got this from Tom in Detroit who used to drive you around in his limo". Gibson then yelled, "Is the m------f---er cracked? Is the m------f---er cracked?" I explained that it was not and he yelled, "Exactly-unless it was cracked, I would have never have given it away". At this point, stadium security gathered around Gibson on the field and approached me in the stands. I was well aware that Gibson was not going to sign it, so I figured what the hell. I calmly said, Actually Kirk, you used to take your equipment and other Tigers equipment and give it to my friend in exchange for payment for his limo service when you and Dave Bergman scored chicks". Gibson then walked closer to me and yelled, "I'm going to watch where you f---ing sit tonight. If I break my f---ing helmet, I'm comin' up to your f---ing seat and getting the m------f---ing helmet back". I replied, "I'll make it even easier for you, Kirk. I'll swap you straight up for the batting practice jersey you're wearing, deal?". Gibson became so enraged that he bolted for me in the stands, and began to climb over the photography pit on the left side of the visiting dugout in order to come up into the stands. As he began to climb up, coach Dick Tracewski bear hugged him, and pulled him back onto the field. Dick yelled, "You don't talk to people like that. Stop it". Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield to shag balls.

Both the Seattle Police and Kingdome Security came to me and asked what happened. I explained that I'm a collector of game used memorabilia, and they had no issue with it. Several fans could not believe what they saw, and said I should have let him taken a swing at me. Folks, I had no idea how in shape and how big Gibson was until I saw him up close. I'm a pretty fit guy, however, I did not stand a chance against Gibson. He would have killed me.

After this incident, I wanted no part of any of Gibson's equipment and sold all of it.

I have met over 200 players during BP, and have never had any type of experience close to this. Most players show little or no interest in their items, and have graciously signed.

Moral of the story-don't explain anything to Gibson if you attend a show and desire him to sign his game used equipment.

Howard Wolf

hblakewolf@patmedia.net "

Good read. I plan on getting my seat back done first, and then my bat. He's not going to be too thrilled when I go through the line a couple times. About 1/4 of the bat is split up the back, so hopefully I don't have an issue. Plus there's going to be tons of families there, so I'd don't think it'd go over very well if he flipped out.

Edited by xmartyx

Good read. I don't doubt any of what the guy said. Gibson is a tool. I plan on getting my seat back done first, and then my bat. He's not going to be too thrilled when I go through the line a couple times. About 1/4 of the bat is split up the back, so hopefully I don't have an issue. Plus there's going to be tons of families there, so I'd don't think it'd go over very well if he flipped out.

You got a great deal on that bat. I was watching it, but didn't pull the trigger.

That is not a bad idea. You have nothing to lose, I just don't want to ruin my feelings towards him.

I have definitely seen some of his game used items signed, so maybe you just have to catch him in the right mood.

That Gibson story is a riot. I have no problem if a player doesn't want to sign; that's certainly their right. But there's a right way to respectfully decline, and that was so over the top that it must have seemed like an out of body experience for that collector. Kudos to him for standing up to Gibson, and extra kudos to Tracewski for stepping in. The only downside to the story is for kids in the crowd who no doubt witnessed Gibson's uncalled for meltdown. For as close as Gibson and Rozema supposedly are, it's always struck me how they are polar opposites in the way they deal with fans. Rozema's an all-star; Gibson, not so much.

That Gibson story is a riot. I have no problem if a player doesn't want to sign; that's certainly their right. But there's a right way to respectfully decline, and that was so over the top that it must have seemed like an out of body experience for that collector. Kudos to him for standing up to Gibson, and extra kudos to Tracewski for stepping in. The only downside to the story is for kids in the crowd who no doubt witnessed Gibson's uncalled for meltdown. For as close as Gibson and Rozema supposedly are, it's always struck me how they are polar opposites in the way they deal with fans. Rozema's an all-star; Gibson, not so much.

Let's be real, too. Howard started to antagonize him after he realized that Gibson wasn't going to sign. One thing that isn't mentioned in the story and Howard has written about in follow-up posts is that the Tigers were an extremely stingy team when it came to letting out game-used items (especially team-issued stuff like jerseys, helmets, etc.) until recently. They recycled a lot of stuff to their minor league system and Gibson was basically stealing the stuff by using it as payment for the limo service. Anyway, I thought that needed to be said...

Since I started the detour, I'll get things back on track. Here is my Carlos Guillen collection:

Six bats (2 Sam bats, 2 Rawlings, 1 Max bat, 1 Nakona)

Guillenfamily01-1.jpg

2007 Home Jersey

Guillen01.jpg

Guillen02.jpg

Just found 3/4 of a Ryan Raburn bat laying behind my tool box. Didn't know we had that one. Must be one my wife dragged home. Ryan is always in Lakeland early living nearby.

Those are some nice Guillen bats. Are any of them even cracked?

The black Rawlings and the Nokona are the only two that are uncracked. The rest of them have handle cracks and one of the Sam bats is missing a piece out of it. I don't mind cracks, it shows that there was a reason for them to stop using it.