C03BRA

Tigers in on Valverde

Valverde has four offers, two of more than one year, all to be a closer. Arizona and Detroit are in.

Twitter / Tim Brown: Source: Valverde has four ...

Looks like our sandwich picks may be to fill the void of losing our 1st round pick. I almost hope its more than 1 year. I would hate to lose our 1st round pick for 1 year of him....

Edit:

Tigers Reach Agreement With Jose Valverde

By Mike Axisa [January 14, 2010 at 4:15pm CST]

4:15pm: Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com tweets that the option is for $9MM. Not a bad deal for Valverde, considering the general disdain for big money relievers with draft pick compensation attached.

3:41pm: The Tigers and free agent closer Jose Valverde have reached an agreement on a two-year deal, reports Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports. The deal is worth $14MM, and includes an option for a third year. MLB.com's Matthew Leach tweets that the Cardinals, who were also connected to Valverde, "weren't going anywhere near" that price.

Tigers Reach Agreement With Jose Valverde: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Edited by C03BRA

If the tigers give up a first round pick for valverde I will become a brewers fan.

My initial reaction is I suspect the Tigers offered a lowball 1-year deal on the off-chance nobody else had offered him a deal.

I say that because offering him a lot of money for an extended period of times seems to go against the off-season move, which saw the Tigers both

a. acquiring bullpen arms to add to the arms they have in the minors, and

b. focus on freeing up long-term money.

We shall see.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Valverde is good and the Tigers need a good dependable reliever. However, I don't like seeing them give up a number one pick after making moves this winter which suggest they are committed more to the future than 2010.

Rally's WAR has him as worth an average of 1.86 wins the last 3 years. During that time, he has a 2.84 ERA in 190.1 innings and a 3.58 FIP. True talent 3.00 ERA closers are worth roughly 2 wins a year when we take into account bullpen chaining. If we lean a little closer towards his FIP to predict for the future and dock him a bit for pitching in the NL, then he is probably a 1.5 win closer in the AL. The going rate for that type of production is roughly $7 million a year. A 1st round pick ups the cost to the team, though. I'm not sure if losing a 1st round pick is worth the short term gain of adding a pretty good reliever for a year or two.

Giving up a first round pick for an aging reliever with iffy control when your team is unlikely to contend

Sign me up, it sounds like the move dreams are made of

pass..

plus I sincerely doubt DD would be willing to pay for a closer and expend a draft choice.

You could sign Dotel, spend less money and save the draft choices.

I'm betting an internal candidate is preferred anyway..

When has Tim Brown ever beeen the source of a breaking story??

Decided this is the classic case of a desparate agent and a second rate writier seeking some internet cred..they essentially use each other for some facetime..Valvaerde isn't even getting s sniff and needs to make it seem like somebody is interested and his agent is probably listening to him whine about what a bad job he's doing..

Tim Brown and yahoo..where do they rank on the baseball information totem pole..somewhere behind Rob Parker..

Decided this is the classic case of a desparate agent and a second rate writier seeking some internet cred..they essentially use each other for some facetime..Valvaerde isn't even getting s sniff and needs to make it seem like somebody is interested and his agent is probably listening to him whine about what a bad job he's doing..

Tim Brown and yahoo..where do they rank on the baseball information totem pole..somewhere behind Rob Parker..

I like a lot of what you post on these forums but Im forced to remind you that no one with a pulse is behind Rod Parker who is currently on his knees in front of Joe Dumars

We have enough pitching. We need to add some run producers. Or just high OB% guys. I guess anyone who can hit, with speed, would be nice.

This smells of an agent trying to generate interest by leaking news to the media... Valverde went from someone no one wants to pay and give up a draft pick for, to having "four" offers overnight.

Just as a question....when does draft pick compensation go away? If one of these guys is signed 2 years from now it can't still be there.....what's the expiration?

Just as a question....when does draft pick compensation go away? If one of these guys is signed 2 years from now it can't still be there.....what's the expiration?

The Royals were suppose to lose theirs for signing Juan Cruz, but they had a 2nd rounder and selected Wil Meyers with it. There have been rumors that MLB would lift the comp tag on Valverde, so he could get offers. I don't think the Tigers would be crazy for giving up the first rounder, since the money saved from the first round pick could be added into the savings of signing Valverde. They have two comp picks, so it's feasible.

This smells of an agent trying to generate interest by leaking news to the media... Valverde went from someone no one wants to pay and give up a draft pick for, to having "four" offers overnight.

Trying to offset DD's comments from a couple days ago that he is fine with who we've got... :laugh: