detroittigerfan

NON-TIGER AUTOGRAPHS

Today I went to the Michigan fan day at the Big House. There had to be twice as many people there this year as there was last year. What they do is split all the positions and have the set up at the concession stands all around the stadium. This year they split the QB's into two different lines, with the tight ends or offensive linemen. They did the same thing last year and I was lucky to get Denard last year. Anyways, it was a complete guessing game on which line Denard would be in, and I guessed wrong. I didn't mind too much though since I heard the other line was really long and I like Devin Gardner. If I were to go to this event again, I think I'm going to stick with the less popular positions.

I did feel it was poorly run this year compared to past seasons. Tons of cutting, people holding up the lines way too long for pictures. In my section there was even a mix up on where the line started and it ended up with two separate lines waiting for the same section. They took one of the lines and let all of those people go in front of the other line (my line). I was one of the last people to get autographs before the signing stopped. Lots of angry people who had been there for hours.

Anyways here are my results:

Devin Gardner 2 8x10's

Entire O-line on 2 8x10's

Marcus Ray on 2 Sports Illustrated magazines

I also read on twitter last night that former DB Marcus Ray would be there signing autographs and selling his book. I took two Sports Illustrated issues of him on the cover flipping David Boston, and got both signed. He was really nice and seemed excited to see me with the SI's. Getting him made my day.

At a garage sale I purchased (very inexpensively) 13 color 4" x 6" photos of West Michigan WhiteCaps who played from 1994 - 1996, their first three years. Included were WILLIE MORALES, JASON MACDONALD, EMIL BROWN, D. T. CROMER, and BEN GRIEVE, all who eventually played in the majors. Grieve later became the AL Rookie of the Year.

I thought I would start a new thread on autographs of players that did not play for the Tigers. We'll see if there is more interest in this. I will start.

I got two cards and one Mickey Mantle photo signed by Red Sox pitcher Jim Lonborg. On the Mantle photo he signed: "Jim Lonborg, "Mantle's last HR # 536, 9-20-68". He forgot to add the word "pitcher", since he gave up Mantle's last Major League home run. Still, a nice classy piece.

Don Mattingly. My brother got it for me when we went to a Tiger game when I was a young kid. That brother has since passed away so it is a nice memory.

Today I went to the Michigan fan day at the Big House. There had to be twice as many people there this year as there was last year. What they do is split all the positions and have the set up at the concession stands all around the stadium. This year they split the QB's into two different lines, with the tight ends or offensive linemen. They did the same thing last year and I was lucky to get Denard last year. Anyways, it was a complete guessing game on which line Denard would be in, and I guessed wrong. I didn't mind too much though since I heard the other line was really long and I like Devin Gardner. If I were to go to this event again, I think I'm going to stick with the less popular positions.

I did feel it was poorly run this year compared to past seasons. Tons of cutting, people holding up the lines way too long for pictures. In my section there was even a mix up on where the line started and it ended up with two separate lines waiting for the same section. They took one of the lines and let all of those people go in front of the other line (my line). I was one of the last people to get autographs before the signing stopped. Lots of angry people who had been there for hours.

Anyways here are my results:

Devin Gardner 2 8x10's

Entire O-line on 2 8x10's

Marcus Ray on 2 Sports Illustrated magazines

I also read on twitter last night that former DB Marcus Ray would be there signing autographs and selling his book. I took two Sports Illustrated issues of him on the cover flipping David Boston, and got both signed. He was really nice and seemed excited to see me with the SI's. Getting him made my day.

I totally agree about how it is ran. I had a similar experience to you only in the RB line. I had to work so I couldnt get there till 1 when the gates opened.The line took almost the whole hour and half and we barely got autographs. The staff only let two or three people go trough at a time and most of the time it seemed the players were just standing around talking to each other since they had nothing to do. Last year was much better and faster. I went through three lines last year in the two hour time period including the QB line with Forcier/Gardner, WR's, and DB's. Next year I will take the day off and go for the QB's on 8x10s I had printed for this year. I think the only way you can get a lot of autographs is if your very very early.

Local breaking story from Florida:

Man Accused of Selling Bogus Baseballs | TheLedger.com

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20110820&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=110829968&Ref=AR&Profile=1374&MaxW=445&border=0

Largo police are holding this baseball with its phony Babe Ruth autograph and fraudulent certification letter as evidence in the case against 40-year-old Marc A. Szakaly of Land O’ Lakes. He’s charged with organized fraud, accused of selling at least 35 of the balls throughout the state.

Man Accused of Selling Bogus Baseballs

Marc A. Szakaly of Land O'Lakes is charged with organized fraud.

By RITA FARLOW

ST. PETERSBURG TIMES

Published: Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 11:14 p.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.

LARGO | The man who drove up to the pawn shop in an SUV in October had a sad story.

He was a real estate investor suffering from the dismal economy and needed to part ways with a beloved souvenir — his baseball signed by the legendary Babe Ruth, said sales clerk Lisa Matassa.

The signature was beautiful, and a certificate of authenticity showed it was the real deal. Matassa's boss offered the man $1,500.

It wasn't until March that employees at Pawn Mart at 12499 Seminole Blvd. found out the ball was bogus.

A snowbird who wanted it for his son asked that it be recertified. So Pawn Mart sent the ball off to PSA/DNA Authentication Services in California, the company that had penned the first certificate.

Except, it hadn't. It was a fraudulent document made to accompany the forged baseball, Largo police said.

The man who sold the ball gave a copy of his thumbprint and used his real driver license during the transaction. Police quickly identified him as 40-year-old Marc A. Szakaly, 40, of 5052 Balsam Drive in Land O'Lakes.

After a five-month investigation that led Largo police Detective Dianne LaFrance all across the state, Szakaly was arrested Wednesday and charged with organized fraud. He was released Thursday from Pasco County Jail on $50,000 bond.

Police said they discovered Szakaly sold at least 35 phony autographed baseballs to pawn shops as far away as the Panhandle and the east coast of Florida over the past year . He sold about eight or nine each in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties, said Largo police spokesman Lt. Mike Loux.

Pawn dealers spent $500 to $3,000 for the balls.

"Every single one was a forgery, not just the balls, but the letters too," said PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando.

Ruth, the longtime New York Yankee also known as "The Bambino," was among the first players inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. His is one of the most widely sought autographs of all celebrities, Orlando said.

"That's the symbol of all autograph collecting … he was an amazing athlete and he really represented the American dream of going from virtual poverty to becoming the most famous, not just baseball player, but most famous person in America," Orlando said.

It's unclear if the baseballs were sold outside the state.

In today's mail I got two cards signed by BILL BUCKNER, who is best know for the ball that went between his legs in the 10th inning of a World Series game vs. the Mets in 1986, giving the Mets the victory in Game 6. The Mets then won Game 7.

The cards were an '86 Topps and an '86 Donruss, the same year as the famous incident cited above. I sent the cards to the Brockton (Mass.) Rox baseball team, where he is the manager.

Edited by detroittigerfan

Dan Hampton, Bears HOFer and Super Bowl Champ, IP tonight at a free Sears signing. Signed my rookie card and personalized 2 photos to my kids, all with #99 and HOF 2002. Very nice guy. I also won an ESPN Radio t-shirt by answering some Bears trivia. We've had some really nice free signings in the Chicago area lately; unfortunately I've only been able to make it to a small percentage of them.

142523.jpg

142524.jpg

Im stoked about this so I wanted to share. Last night was the Rockstar Uproar Festival in Grand Rapids and I was able to get a signed cd from my favorite band of all time!

SeetherAutos.jpg

Tonight a local Champps restaurant was hosting Bud Light Hockey Night featuring Blackhawks broadcasters Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk. Eddie signed 4 cards for me and personalized photos to my kids. Pat also personalized photos for my kids.

143353.jpg

Edited by Los Gatos

Anyone have addresses for former Michigan Panthers John Corker, John Williams or Novo Bojovich?

BK

A friend of mine contacted Bojovich through E & R Industrial Supplies.

Anthony Adams, Bears Defensive Tackle (from Detroit) did a free Meijer signing this evening. They had a cooking demonstration followed by a Q&A and then the signing. Very, very nice guy and he said yes when I asked if he's still a Tigers fan. He signed 4 cool 8x10's I found online and my second time through he personalized 2 of the nice photos they were giving away to my kids.

You guys in Michigan should watch closely for Meijer signings in your area. This is the 4th around here I've been to this year and there have been others that I wasn't able to make, including 2 last week. Another Bear is signing next Monday but that Meijer location is a haul so it might not be do-able. So keep an eye open - very friendly atmosphere, reasonable lines, free and you can get your own stuff signed.

143909.jpg

143913.jpg

143910.jpg

143911.jpg

143912.jpg

John Scott, Chicago Blackhawk, this evening at a free Score / Bud Light event. It was scheduled to be Dave Bolland so I had a hockey card of his with me, but there was a switch for some reason. John was super nice and personalized a couple photos for my kids. The only downside to the evening was watching in agony as Granderson made the 1st inning catch on a huge screen - the event was at a sports bar/restaurant.

144956.jpg

Los Gatos, that Granderson catch was more painful in person! He doesn't make it, and we score three, and perhaps the outcome of the game is diffferent. Burnett would not have lasted long. Also, Granderson was playing Kelly in a perfect position, dead centerfield, right where he hit the bullet.

A local sports bar/restaurant hosted a Monday Night Football event this evening with '85 SB champ Bears WR Dennis McKinnon. This was my first out of 16 free signings this year that I've gotten burned by "no outside items", which wasn't noted in any of the event advertising. It is what it is, but the irksome part was that my buddy and I saw him sign outside footballs and photos while we were in line. I did end up getting 2 photos signed that they were selling for $5, but the manager gave them to us free since he knew we were disappointed and had spent money on dinner. So that's something, and the Tigers game was entertaining until the bad ending. And for those of you that are familiar with the Tilted Kilt, nothing could ever be truly disappointing with that scenery.

145600.jpg

Edited by Los Gatos

Dave Bolland, Blackhawks Center, at a free event this evening. The 8x10 I brought was taken after Bolland scored a goal in Game 5 of the Hawks' win against the Flyers in the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals. The fan to the left of Bolland is actor Vince Vaughn, so if the opportunity ever arises, it would be cool to get it signed by him, too. Trina and Laura from the Blackhawks Ice Crew also signed photos at the event :cheeky:

145675.jpg

145676.jpg

145674.jpg

TONY LARUSSA in a Cardinals uniform where he is shown next to his friend, Tiger manager Jim Leyland.

My first reaction is perhaps someone signed it for him; after all, he does have a few other things going on in his life right now. However, it looks exactly like two other cards he signed for me in the past. Does he sign to get his mind off other issues when he is under pressure? Who knows! Unfortunately, there was not a postmark on the envelope.