detroittigerfan

NON-TIGER AUTOGRAPHS

Strange mail day from two former Cubs managers.

* Don Zimmer, 2/2, 7 days. I didn't do any homework prior to sending, therefore didn't know Mrs. Zimmer reportedly signs most of his TTM. The autos I received today are distinctly different than the supposed Mrs. Z version, so I'm encouraged that they might be the real deal.

* Lou Piniella, 0/1, returned unsigned in my SASE. This is the 3rd or 4th failure I've had with Piniella TTM over the years. Will try again if I can spot the front end of one of his occasional signing trends.

After the WhiteCap game last night TOBY HARRAH signed two articles about himself titled "Teaching Young Hitters Now A Priority for Harrah." I also gave him an unsigned copy, which he was very grateful for.

He now only thanked me for asking for the auto and giving him a copy, he shook my hand. Now that is the way to get autographs!

Al Avila was also at the game, and stopped by for a nice but brief discussion of this son Alex. He also was very congenial, but was on his way back to Detroit so could not talk long.

Edited by detroittigerfan

After the WhiteCap game last night TOBY HARRAH signed two articles about himself titled "Teaching Young Hitters Now A Priority for Harrah." I also gave him an unsigned copy, which he was very grateful for.

He now only thanked me for asking for the auto and giving him a copy, he shook my hand. Now that is the way to get autographs!

At spring training 2007, Harrah was very nice when he walked through the fan area. He stopped and asked a couple kids if they knew what a palindrome was. They didn't, and he explained that his last name is the same spelled backward and forward. I didn't have anything for him to sign that time, so I brought a bunch of his cards with me this year, but unfortunately I didn't see him.

CHAD KREUTER, a roving coach for the Diamondbacks, signed my two "The Detroit Tigers" books for me today, plus two Topps cards. Los Gatos, I will give you the choice of either the '93 or '95 Topps cards for yourself. Let me know ASAP. I also got your BEN OGILVIE cards signed.

He would have signed more, but he was the last person on the bus, which was waiting for him. He said he would sign at the game tomorrow night against the WhiteCaps at 5/3 BallPark, so if you want him, here is your chance!

Great signer and nice to talk to!

Here is another opportunity to purchase George W. Bush's Decision Points with an on-book autograph. The listed price is $60 but the discount code below drops that to $54. Shipping is a hefty $15, reportedly. I don't have any Presidential autos and am thinking about it, but in the end, I'd probably rather put that kind of money towards Tigers stuff.

I got this info from a thread on SCN.

https://premierecollectibles.com/categories/george_w_bush/decision_points

Discount code:

Customer024872

image.jpg?1303843964

tipsheet.jpg?1303846771

Today's mail:

* Ron Cey, 2/2, 10 days

* Von Hayes c/o Camden Riversharks, 1/1, 10 days

* Bob Kipper c/o Portland Sea Dogs, 1/1, personalized to my son, 15 days

125536.jpg

Here is another opportunity to purchase George W. Bush's Decision Points with an on-book autograph. The listed price is $60 but the discount code below drops that to $54. Shipping is a hefty $15, reportedly. I don't have any Presidential autos and am thinking about it, but in the end, I'd probably rather put that kind of money towards Tigers stuff.

I got this info from a thread on SCN.

https://premierecollectibles.com/categories/george_w_bush/decision_points

Discount code:

Customer024872

image.jpg?1303843964

tipsheet.jpg?1303846771

I think the book holds its value. I doubt that he is ever going to be as prolific a signer as Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter. Otherwise, try sending a TTM request for a bookplate through his post-presidential office (although it seems the well is dry at the moment).

Terrific IP day today as I learned this morning that Cubs Hall-of-Famer Billy Williams and current Bears tight end Greg Olsen were each scheduled for 4 free signings throughout the suburban area on behalf of an Autism organization. After some crazy scrambling I was able to hit a Williams signing during the day and Olsen this evening, and as it turned out, TV's Bill Rancic was with Olsen signing free copies of his and his wife's new book. I don't have a photo of that auto because my wife is reading the book right now!

* Billy Williams, 1 card and 1 baseball with HOF inscription

* Greg Olsen, 2 cards and 1 photo personalized to my son

* Bill Rancic, 1 book personalized to my wife

126207.jpg

126208.jpg

I heard that HANK AARON was signing through the mail, so I sent him a color collage of his baseball cards.

I got this item back unsigned, but I did get a great autographed photo of him hitting career home run # 715. However, after testing the autograph I determined it was a facsimile. But it was a nice photo!

I heard that HANK AARON was signing through the mail, so I sent him a color collage of his baseball cards.

I got this item back unsigned, but I did get a great autographed photo of him hitting career home run # 715. However, after testing the autograph I determined it was a facsimile. But it was a nice photo!

David, "he" tends to sign only cards in the mail. I use the quotes because it is widely accepted that Hank has his secretary sign all of his mail.

Darwin Barney, Cubs 2B this evening at a free Meijer event. He also personalized 2 pictures they were giving away to my kids and had really nice conversations with both of them.

128950.jpg

128951.jpg

Non-Tigers successes over the past few months:

Don Baylor c/o the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Andy Benes c/o home (requested inscription).

Rich "Goose" Gossage c/o home.

Wally Westlake c/o home.

Doug Drabek c/o the Visalia Rawhide.

Jeff Branson c/o the Indianapolis Indians.

Lonnie Smith c/o home.

Michael Tucker c/o Zuleta's Indoor Batting Cages, Inc.

Orlando Hudson c/o the San Diego Padres.

Mark Prior c/o the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees.

Bobby Doerr c/o home.

Steve Sax c/o home.

misc1e.jpgmisc2t.jpgmisc3p.jpg

Non-Tigers successes over the past few months:

Don Baylor c/o the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Andy Benes c/o home (requested inscription).

Rich "Goose" Gossage c/o home.

Wally Westlake c/o home.

Doug Drabek c/o the Visalia Rawhide.

Jeff Branson c/o the Indianapolis Indians.

Lonnie Smith c/o home.

Michael Tucker c/o Zuleta's Indoor Batting Cages, Inc.

Orlando Hudson c/o the San Diego Padres.

Mark Prior c/o the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees.

Bobby Doerr c/o home.

Steve Sax c/o home.

Forgot one:

Chris Perez c/o the Cleveland Indians.

misc4.jpg

BOBBY RICHARDSON sent me two signed articles about game 7 of the 1962 World Series. In this game Richardson caught the scorching line drive hit by Willie McCovey in the 9th inning with runners on 2nd and 3 base and two outs. It's a great story.

Richardson also is known for his 12 RBIs in the 1960 World Series, including six in one inning!

RON TEASLEY, a Negro Leaguer who began his career in 1945, signed 6 cards for me and my friends at a Negro League presentation yesterday in Detroit.

Anyone have addresses for former Michigan Panthers John Corker, John Williams or Novo Bojovich?

BK