detroittigerfan

NON-TIGER AUTOGRAPHS

I thought I would start a new thread on autographs of players that did not play for the Tigers. We'll see if there is more interest in this. I will start.

I got two cards and one Mickey Mantle photo signed by Red Sox pitcher Jim Lonborg. On the Mantle photo he signed: "Jim Lonborg, "Mantle's last HR # 536, 9-20-68". He forgot to add the word "pitcher", since he gave up Mantle's last Major League home run. Still, a nice classy piece.

Edited by detroittigerfan

2 non-Tiger returns today for my 1988 Topps set:

* Doug DeCinces, 3/3 (79, 87, 88 Topps), blue sharpie, 7 days

* Steve Lyons, 1/1 (88 Topps), blue sharpie with "Psycho" nickname as requested, 9 days

Obtained Lee Smith and Fergie Jenkins on ROMLBs in person last night at the Fergie and Friends Celebrity Game in Mesa, AZ.

I will entertain offers on the Jenkins ball...signed on the sweet spot.

Not players, but I have a Lindell AC coaster signed by Tony LaRussa and Jim Leyland circa 1980.

Bill Clinton 1/1 (My Life book) - this may be an autopen, but I am not sure:

Clintonbook.jpg

At any rate, the signature is different from the last time I got him TTM (which I do believe is authentic):

Clintonttm.jpg

Edited by mbrieve

/Users/jamesholman/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 1, 2010/DSCN0358.JPG

Edited by jimtigers65

In today's mail I received 2 of 2 cards (2000 Fleer Tradition and 2000 Bowman) signed by the former 1st baseman of the Seattle Mariners, JOHN OLERUD.

OLERUD etched a unique spot in Tiger history, when he doubled in the first inning of the inaugural game at Comerica Park (4/11/2000). The hit was the first ever at Comerica, and I took a unique photo of that hit. I think I will now send the photo to Olerud to see if he will also sign that for me.

I also realize that this posting is not quite as visually appealing as the one above! Sorry!

Earlier this week I got something very unique in the mail.

LARRY YOUNT, Robin's brother, signed an article from the Hall of Fame as well as a BB card-size photo of the Astrodome. Larry made his major league debut in a late season game in 1971 as an Astros reliever. While warming up he hurt his arm, and told the manager, who then took him out of the game after he had already been announced as the new pitcher.

Yount never made it into another game that year, or any other years, for that matter. As a result he is the only player in major league history to be listed in the baseball register as a major league ballplayer, but he was never on the field for a single pitch! The article that he signed is titled, "A Pitching Career That Ended Before It Ever Began!

Just came across this thread. I'm not an autograph kind of guy, but curious how this works exactly. I'm presuming the "days" is the turn around time from mailing until it is returned? Are you in fact mailing these cards, photos, magazines to the people and then they mail them back signed? Are you providing postage paid envelopes? I guess I'm sort of fascinated by this now.

Are there people who won't sign and just toss your artifacts?

Anyway, it's been years since I got an autograph with the exception of Eddie Murray who signed a card for me about 8 months ago (which I gave to my brother who is an O's fan). He was at my gym/club for some sort of function. Seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Just came across this thread. I'm not an autograph kind of guy, but curious how this works exactly. I'm presuming the "days" is the turn around time from mailing until it is returned? Are you in fact mailing these cards, photos, magazines to the people and then they mail them back signed? Are you providing postage paid envelopes? I guess I'm sort of fascinated by this now.

Are there people who won't sign and just toss your artifacts?

Anyway, it's been years since I got an autograph with the exception of Eddie Murray who signed a card for me about 8 months ago (which I gave to my brother who is an O's fan). He was at my gym/club for some sort of function. Seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Glad to see another interested! Yes, the days is the turnaround time from the day sent to recieved. When you mail something TTM, you send a short polite letter, an item to be signed, and a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope). Make sure the postage on the SASE is enough. There are many people who do not sign, so it is always a gamble, and you want to be careful about what you send. In other words, only send something that you can afford to lose and never see again. Sending cards TTM is always a good start since they are cheaper to send, and cost less than magazines, 8x10's, ect. If you take a look at the TTM success threads though, you can get a good idea of who signs, and can have a high success rate.

It's funny about your encounter with Eddie Murray. He is known for not being the most friendly guy in the world to autograph seekers, so that gave me a chuckle.

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Glad to see another interested! Yes, the days is the turnaround time from the day sent to recieved. When you mail something TTM, you send a short polite letter, an item to be signed, and a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope). Make sure the postage on the SASE is enough. There are many people who do not sign, so it is always a gamble, and you want to be careful about what you send. In other words, only send something that you can afford to lose and never see again. Sending cards TTM is always a good start since they are cheaper to send, and cost less than magazines, 8x10's, ect. If you take a look at the TTM success threads though, you can get a good idea of who signs, and can have a high success rate.

It's funny about your encounter with Eddie Murray. He is known for not being the most friendly guy in the world to autograph seekers, so that gave me a chuckle.

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer.

What is TTM?

I'm probably not going to delve into this stuff, but I presume you send your card in a protective holder of some sort... and you address it to the stadium? But what about these older players that are retired, where are you sending those?

It was a social event of sorts, and the owner of our club introduced me which I think broke the ice with Murray. I was going to complain to him about Whitaker getting screwed by the HOF voters, but the conversation was pretty short.

What is TTM?

I'm probably not going to delve into this stuff, but I presume you send your card in a protective holder of some sort... and you address it to the stadium? But what about these older players that are retired, where are you sending those?

It was a social event of sorts, and the owner of our club introduced me which I think broke the ice with Murray. I was going to complain to him about Whitaker getting screwed by the HOF voters, but the conversation was pretty short.

Just to add to the conversation.

TTM = Through The Mail

The reasons for sharing successes (besides bragging rights) is to give other collectors an idea of who to send to and how long to expect the turnaround to be.

Current players you generally send to at spring training ballparks or during the season to their home ballpark.

Former players are a bit trickier. Some are still affiliated with teams whether front office, coaching, managing, etc. Those that are completely out of baseball, you general send to their home, PO box or place of business.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

* Doug DeCinces, 3/3 (79, 87, 88 Topps), blue sharpie, 7 days

So when someone write the above, for example:

Does 3/3 mean that they sent three items and all three were signed?

The blue sharpie... is this of any significance? If so, why?

And are you sending the blue sharpie with the items to be signed?

I suppose the biggest thing is, what do you do with all of these signed cards/pictures? It looks like there's some trading... but for example, why would someone need three Doug DeCinces autographs (unless they are a huge DeCinces fans)?

And how do people know that these are authentic autographs? Does it hurt the value of the card/picture, particularly if it's not certified to be authentic?

So when someone write the above, for example:

Does 3/3 mean that they sent three items and all three were signed?

Yes, 3 sent and 3 returned. Some players will keep cards or return them unsigned and people can indicate that as well. For instance if a player consistently sends back 1/3, you would know to only send one card.

The blue sharpie... is this of any significance? If so, why?

And are you sending the blue sharpie with the items to be signed?

Most collectors like the look of a blue sharpie the best on cards and photos. Blue ballpoint pen is preferred on baseballs. You certainly could send a sharpie or a pen, but it would be ususual to do so (especially for cards).

I suppose the biggest thing is, what do you do with all of these signed cards/pictures? It looks like there's some trading... but for example, why would someone need three Doug DeCinces autographs (unless they are a huge DeCinces fans)?

Some people collect certain sets of cards 83 Topps, 85 Topps, 87 Donruss, 89 Upper Deck, etc. Also, getting extras may help facilitate a trade with other collectors or, quite honestly, some people sell their stuff (but there isn't a lot of profit to be had in selling cards signed TTM). Some players are only willing to sign more than one card if they are different. So, for instances if you sent three 88 Topps and only got one signed back, that same player may sign all three if you sent an 87 Topps, 88 Topps, and 89 Topps.

And how do people know that these are authentic autographs? Does it hurt the value of the card/picture, particularly if it's not certified to be authentic?

The only way to know a signature was actually signed by the player or celebrity is to see it signed before your own eyes. However, if you do your homework it is often possible to spot real signatures compared to a ghostsigner or autopen. Nothing is 100% fool proof.

In today's mail, RON NECCIAI signed two small photos and one Pirates logo card.

Necciai, who briefly played for the Pirates in 1952, is better known by striking out 27 batters in a nine inning game while playing in the Class D Appalachian League earlier that year. Previously he had signed a box score of that historic game for me.

Not a new autograph, but when I was in Florida for Spring Training in 2007 I went to a Tiger game on the road vs. Toronto. I was trying to get a Matt Stairs auto for my 2006 Tiger yearbook, when a player's car pulled up just before we left and several people were very excited to get the player's auto. I thought I better get his auto also.

I did not know who it was (I knew it wasn't Stairs), and I had nothing for the player to sign, so I gave him my Holiday Inn (where I was staying) Priority Club Rewards cardkey, which he signed. After the player left I then asked another collector who it was, and he told me it was the former Cy Young winner, ROY HALLADAY.

So now I have the auto of one of only two M.L. pitchers to throw a no-hitter in the post season, and one of six pitchers to throw two no-hitters in the same season (including Tiger pitcher Virgil Trucks in 1952)! And I have a Halladay auto on a Holiday Inn card! I am tempted to send it to Don Larsen for signing, since he threw the other post season no-hitter (a perfect WS game) in 1956.

Edited by detroittigerfan

Received today, sent out in January. This is Pilot autograph #61 on my custom made Pilot cards.

95478.jpg