dalemotown

...And we're STILL in contention for the 8th Spot...

Personally, I've advocated I wanted Joe not to spend ANY significant money last offseason, and to tank this season. But, understandably he did (because they have to sell tickets)....

So far, the Pistons STILL stink - and yet, are in contention for the eighth playoff spot (because after the top four or five Eastern Conf. teams, the East sucks, royally - as indicated, 1-7-10:

2009-2010 Conference Regular Season Standings

Eastern Conference

Eastern W L PCT GB CONF DIV HOME ROAD L 10 STREAK

Boston1 25 8 0.758 1.0 17-4 6-1 11-4 14-4 6-4 W 2

Cleveland2 28 9 0.757 0.0 17-6 5-1 14-3 14-6 8-2 W 1

Orlando3 24 11 0.686 3.0 16-8 3-2 13-4 11-7 5-5 L 3

Atlanta4 22 12 0.647 4.5 12-9 2-3 13-4 9-8 4-6 W 1

Miami5 17 16 0.515 9.0 12-7 5-3 11-10 6-6 5-5 L 1

Toronto6 18 18 0.500 9.5 12-11 1-2 12-5 6-13 7-3 W 2

Charlotte7 15 18 0.455 11.0 14-13 3-2 12-4 3-14 5-5 W 3

Milwaukee8 14 18 0.438 11.5 8-11 3-4 10-7 4-11 3-7 W 2

Chicago 14 19 0.424 12.0 10-11 5-2 11-7 3-12 6-4 L 2

New York 14 20 0.412 12.5 9-14 2-3 8-10 6-10 6-4 W 2

Washington 11 22 0.333 15.0 9-12 1-4 5-9 6-13 4-6 L 1

Detroit 11 23 0.324 15.5 8-10 1-4 8-8 3-15 0-10 L 11

Indiana 11 23 0.324 15.5 8-13 0-3 8-9 3-14 2-8 W 1

Philadelphia 10 24 0.294 16.5 6-13 4-2 4-11 6-13 4-6 L 1

New Jersey 3 32 0.086 24.0 3-19 1-6 2-15 1-17 1-9 L 3

....My hope (sorry guys) is that they continue to dive, as maybe with a bit of fortune, they'll land in the top-five picks of the Lottery.

Let's face it: barring trades for expiring contracts next month, Joe won't have to money to throw at, say a Chris Bosh. But they desperately need an infusion of Superstar-potential talent....

Edited by dalemotown

I agree. They need John Wall. Who can they trade to New Jersey for a #1 pick? Hahahahah.

...Do I have to be one of the group of five or six regular posters, to strike up a conversation??....

The problem is, you have said pretty much what we all want to happen. So not much more for us to add.

I would try to lose as much as possible. Get in the top 5 and hope that ping pong ball comes up.

If they get #1 take Wall. If not, hopefully they can get Favors or Ed Davis. Assuming they all come out.

It will be interesting to see if Joe could pull the trigger on Donatas Motiejunas if he is around. Or if memories of Darko will haunt him.

The problem is, you have said pretty much what we all want to happen. So not much more for us to add.

I would try to lose as much as possible. Get in the top 5 and hope that ping pong ball comes up.

If they get #1 take Wall. If not, hopefully they can get Favors or Ed Davis. Assuming they all come out.

It will be interesting to see if Joe could pull the trigger on Donatas Motiejunas if he is around. Or if memories of Darko will haunt him.

One guy who has always been one of my favorites is Evan Turner. The thing that I think would make him such a good fit for Detroit is he is one of the only guys I have ever seen who can truly play the point forward. And with Stuckey and Gordon in our backcourt, we could really put a player like that to good use. His ball handling is that of an NBA point guard and he knows how to set up his teammates...very much in the Pippen/Roy mold. If we don't win the Wall lottery, then Turner is a guy can add a lot of value to a team like Detroit.

One guy who has always been one of my favorites is Evan Turner. The thing that I think would make him such a good fit for Detroit is he is one of the only guys I have ever seen who can truly play the point forward. And with Stuckey and Gordon in our backcourt, we could really put a player like that to good use. His ball handling is that of an NBA point guard and he knows how to set up his teammates...very much in the Pippen/Roy mold. If we don't win the Wall lottery, then Turner is a guy can add a lot of value to a team like Detroit.

Don't you think he is more in the mold of a 2 guard?

Wes Johnson, Wes Johnson, Wes Johnson

Don't know much about him. He would have to be pretty damn good to take another SF.

Don't you think he is more in the mold of a 2 guard?

The is the one question I have regarding Turner. I am not sure what his exact height is. I have seen him listed at 6'6 and 6'7. I do think he has the game to play either position but there might some question to his measurables. If he strictly a shooting guard, then we can't afford to draft him.

I will say bringing in Turner as a point forward is really an alternative option to finding a true point guard. I just think finding a true point guard who is actually good is going to be really difficult.

Don't know much about him. He would have to be pretty damn good to take another SF.

I agree with this. I actually like both Daye and Jerebko at small forward. The only reason I suggest Turner is because he potentially fills the role of a point guard.

Jay Bilas' Midseason All-American team - ESPN

Forward: Wesley Johnson, Syracuse. Not many transfers enter college basketball, especially on a good team, so seamlessly. Johnson, in his first season in orange after leaving Iowa State, plays on both ends of the floor, and is very good in the open court. He has been the go-to scorer for Syracuse and has been an outstanding back-line rebounder and defender in Jim Boeheim's zone. Johnson is super athletic and very skilled, and he reminds you of a better shooting and rebounding version of Shawn Marion. Johnson is averaging 17.4 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.5 offensive rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.8 steals and 2 blocks per game. He is shooting 57 percent from the field, 48 percent from long distance and 75 percent from the line, and he does not take bad shots.

World Wide Wes!

I don't disagree that Turner may be a good as he can play PG, or that one of the big guys fills a positional need. I'm just not passing on the best player on the board if we have a top 5 pick - even if he is sg/sf.

Either way, if we have a down year (which it obviously appears we will), we need an impact player with our high draft pick. Someone who will be a top 3 player on this team for the next 7-10 years. Just my thought.

Thanks for expanding on the potential names....I think what I'll do is comprise a TV schedule of my own, for when these guy's schools will play. Been a looong time since I've watched college games, with an interest in the draft lottery!

Hmmm....yeah, John Wall - although obviously raw - is a premium talent at the 1 (playing Florida, right now)....He's super-quick, challenges the defense, and has Isaiah's attitude in that he seems to be able to take over scoring if he has to.

If the Pistons draft Wall, they may need to sign Nellie to coach the team. (of course if you have the chance you still draft him).

Has Wall said he'd only play for Nelson or something?

I'm 100% with ya Dale.

I have said it before & I'll say it again, there's no point in continuing down the road of being a middle of the pack team & fighting for that last playoff spot. Even if they make the playoffs, they aren't going very far, most likely another 1st round knockout, and then we ruin all chances at a lottery pick.

Even beyond targeting Wall, which pretty much everyone is doing, we need a real big man.

So beyond tanking the season, I would love to see us trade away some salary. Rip & Tay can both go for all I care. I don't care if we don't sign any of the big names coming out in FA next year, but it'd sure be nice to have the money to be able to try & make offers, rather than sit around stuck with a roster of guys who aren't going to win.

I'm still holding out hope for a championship run this year.

The champions of the ping pong ball bounce....thing.....Lottery order...

You know where i'm going with this.

I'll never pull for my team to tank. And when I'm watching the game I always want them to win no matter the possible ramifications of winning. But I'm not an idiot. I know if they do tank it could result in a nice draft pick.

But if the Pistons are playing that last game to make it in the eighth spot in the playoffs or just missing out, I will watch that game hoping they win. And I'll be really into it and happy if they do win. As a fan, I'd have a hard time looking at it any other way.

Oh i'm not rooting for them to tank, i just dont see how they could even compete, even in the east.

Making the playoffs does this team 0 good.

...So after 40, Pistons are 14 and 26, 4.5 out of the eighth spot (currently held by Chicago).

I'm assuming 34 wins might squeak a team into that last slot in the weaker East.

To make the eighth spot on that basis, they'd have to go 20 and 22, to get a minimum of 34 wins.

That very likely, is not going to happen.