Sign in to follow this  
mbrieve

1984 Tigers World Series - 25-man roster

I was 2 1/2 years old during the 1984 World Series, so my historical knowledge is limited to the World Series program I own and the internet (baseball-almanac.com and baseball-reference.com). I have always wondered who was actually on the 25-man roster and was looking for some help.

These players actually appeared in a game during the World Series, so I am confident that these 22 men were on the 25-man roster:

1 Lou Whitaker - Second Base

3 Alan Trammell - Shortstop

8 Marty Castillo - Infield

13 Lance Parrish - Catcher

14 Dave Bergman - Infield

15 Rusty Kuntz - Outfield

16 Tom Brookens - Infield

17 Bill Scherrer - Pitcher

20 Howard Johnson - Third Base

21 Willie Hernandez - Pitcher

23 Kirk Gibson - Outfield

27 Barbaro Garbey - Infield

29 Aurelio Lopez - Pitcher

30 Johnny Grubb - Outfield

31 Larry Herndon - Outfield

32 Rupert Jones - Outfield

34 Chet Lemon - Outfield

39 Milt Wilcox - Pitcher

40 Doug Bair - Pitcher

41 Darrell Evans - Infield

46 Dan Petry - Pitcher

47 Jack Morris - Pitcher

These players did not make an appearance during WS, but who of them were on the 25 man roster?

9 Doug Baker - Infield

19 Dave Rozema - Pitcher

42 Sid Monge - Pitcher

44 Juan Berenguer - Pitcher

From discussions I have had it is Baker, Rozema, and Berenguer with Monge being an alternate.

Also, who else was in the dugout during the World Series? I swear I see Randy O'Neal fly out of the dugout after the final out to join the celebration.

Any info would be much appreciated!

I can't recall but I think you are correct. Doug Baker did appear in one game during the ALCS, and Monge was mostly ineffective (which led to the Tigers trading for Bill Scherrer).

So I believe the Tigers did go with the nine pitchers for their playoff roster, dropping Monge.

I guess it's possible O'Neal was part of the celebration. He was a September callup (and the starting pitcher in the division clincher). Maybe the Tigers let those guys stick around to watch the postseason from the comfort of the Tigers dugout (although I don't think "comfort" and "Tigers dugout" were ever used in the same sentence).

I was 2 1/2 years old during the 1984 World Series, so my historical knowledge is limited to the World Series program I own and the internet (baseball-almanac.com and baseball-reference.com). I have always wondered who was actually on the 25-man roster and was looking for some help.

These players actually appeared in a game during the World Series, so I am confident that these 22 men were on the 25-man roster:

1 Lou Whitaker - Second Base

3 Alan Trammell - Shortstop

8 Marty Castillo - Infield

13 Lance Parrish - Catcher

14 Dave Bergman - Infield

15 Rusty Kuntz - Outfield

16 Tom Brookens - Infield

17 Bill Scherrer - Pitcher

20 Howard Johnson - Third Base

21 Willie Hernandez - Pitcher

23 Kirk Gibson - Outfield

27 Barbaro Garbey - Infield

29 Aurelio Lopez - Pitcher

30 Johnny Grubb - Outfield

31 Larry Herndon - Outfield

32 Rupert Jones - Outfield

34 Chet Lemon - Outfield

39 Milt Wilcox - Pitcher

40 Doug Bair - Pitcher

41 Darrell Evans - Infield

46 Dan Petry - Pitcher

47 Jack Morris - Pitcher

These players did not make an appearance during WS, but who of them were on the 25 man roster?

9 Doug Baker - Infield

19 Dave Rozema - Pitcher

42 Sid Monge - Pitcher

44 Juan Berenguer - Pitcher

From discussions I have had it is Baker, Rozema, and Berenguer with Monge being an alternate.

Also, who else was in the dugout during the World Series? I swear I see Randy O'Neal fly out of the dugout after the final out to join the celebration.

Any info would be much appreciated!

I am reasonably sure that you are correct. As I recall, I think Baker was added because Tram had some minor injuries. Rozema and Berenger were definitely on the roster but did not play. That leaves Monge as the odd man out. O'Neal did not join the club until Sept. 12, so he was not eligible for the playoffs.

I will look up some old newspapers to see if I can confirm this.

Didn't teams have to appoint someone as an alternate, as mentioned above, years ago? I wonder when that practice was eliminated.

Edited by detroittigerfan

I am reasonably sure that you are correct. As I recall, I think Baker was added because Tram had some minor injuries. Rozema and Berenger were definitely on the roster but did not play. That leaves Monge as the odd man out. O'Neal did not join the club until Sept. 12, so he was not eligible for the playoffs.

I will look up some old newspapers to see if I can confirm this.

Didn't teams have to appoint someone as an alternate, as mentioned above, years ago? I wonder when that practice was eliminated.

Thank you to everyone that responded. Dave (detroittigerfan) and I have talked about this in the past and thought it would be an interesting topic to bring up on the board.

I guess Rozema and Berenguer were insurance in case Morris, Petry or Wilcox went down with injury?

Ok, now I am just trying to figure out who was in the dugout (like Shelton and Miller in 2006).

I came across these great wire photos on eBay and thought some of you might be able to identify the players in the photos.

Celebrationphoto01.jpg

(L-R) Castillo?, Bair, ???, (obstructed), Morris, (jacket and catchers mitt )???, Baker?, Wilcox?, Lopez, Garbey, Scherrer, Berenguer, (blurry)

Celebrationphoto02.jpg

(L-R) Evans, Trammell?, and Hernandez

Celebrationphoto03.jpg

(L-R) Group 1: Evans, ???, and Morris

Group 2: Petry, (obstructed), Berenguer, (obstructed), Hernandez, Trammell, and Rozema?

Celebrationphoto04.jpg

(L-R) Roger Craig?, (two obstructed), Lopez, and Petry

Don't think too hard about it, but it would be fun if somebody can either confirm some of the names and/or come up with new names/faces I missed.

Thank you to everyone that responded. Dave (detroittigerfan) and I have talked about this in the past and thought it would be an interesting topic to bring up on the board.

I guess Rozema and Berenguer were insurance in case Morris, Petry or Wilcox went down with injury?

Yeah they were basically long relievers and emergency starters, since you don't need five starting pitchers for the playoffs.

Celebrationphoto01.jpg

I think Johnny Grubb is the guy whose head is directly behind Jack Morris' head.

I'm assuming the guy with a catcher's mitt was their bullpen catcher?

And the guy toward the top left with glasses might be an equipment manager?

It's been awhile since I've watched the '84WS games. I think I remember seeing Rozema warm up once. I'm not really sure if Berenguer did or not.

I watched Game One of the Series last night. Monge was one of the guys included in the pre-game introductions. Rozema and Berenguer both warmed up in that game.

I watched Game One of the Series last night. Monge was one of the guys included in the pre-game introductions. Rozema and Berenguer both warmed up in that game.

Great info, thanks!