mbrieve

Upcoming signings

I received an email that John Grubb will be rescheduled because his flight was cancelled.  The show is still open for business, though.

Attention Collectors!

We are sad to announce that 1984 World Series Champion Johnny Grubb
will no longer be signing tomorrow (Sat. Feb 10th) at the Balkan American Community Center due to his flight being cancelled because of weather conditions

The normal show will still continue and we will be looking toreschedule 
Johnny Grubb and will announce updates as usual.

39 minutes ago, LivoniaGreg said:

I received an email that John Grubb will be rescheduled because his flight was cancelled.  The show is still open for business, though.

Attention Collectors!

We are sad to announce that 1984 World Series Champion Johnny Grubb
will no longer be signing tomorrow (Sat. Feb 10th) at the Balkan American Community Center due to his flight being cancelled because of weather conditions

The normal show will still continue and we will be looking toreschedule 
Johnny Grubb and will announce updates as usual.

You're the best! 

15 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

Lastraps, I have been looking for Toledo signings, as well and have not seen any listed during the past 6 months.  Here is the link I use, scroll down a bit and you can click on the state of Ohio or any other state's signings including Michigan.:

http://www.cravetheauto.com/player-appearances/

I went the Chicago Sports Spectacular Show a few years ago and it was pretty good but autographs are not cheap.  There are also a lot of vendors (many from out-of-town) selling autographs, as well. This event used to be called the Chicago-Sun-Times Show.  There is admission and do your homework on who is signing on which weekend day, for those interested in going to this event.

http://www.cravetheauto.com/autograph-appearances/2018/03/16-18/chicago-sports-spectacular

Thanks for this.  I follow Crave the Auto from time to time, and to your point, Toledo has been pretty non existent. 

The other one I keep my eye on is the TriStar website.  They usually do one in Cleveland at the IX center.  I went to one a number of years ago...they too can be expensive.  Cleveland has had a few autographers lately, but based on the lovely weather we have had, I just can't seem to be up to driving that distance in sketchy conditions.

6 hours ago, lastraps said:

Thanks for this.  I follow Crave the Auto from time to time, and to your point, Toledo has been pretty non existent. 

The other one I keep my eye on is the TriStar website.  They usually do one in Cleveland at the IX center.  I went to one a number of years ago...they too can be expensive.  Cleveland has had a few autographers lately, but based on the lovely weather we have had, I just can't seem to be up to driving that distance in sketchy conditions.

Toledo used to be a good spot for them many years ago, particularly the old Gladieux center. They had Pete Rose back in the day and other very big, HOF names. Unfortunately, after that one closed down, Toledo pretty much fell off the map. That was probably mid-late 80s. I don't think I've seen much in Toledo since. Too bad, because it's a nice mid-way point for someone driving either from the Detroit area or from the Cleveland area. 

I did a chicago sun times show once. I was there for some very specific graphs, but they weren't the very high end names. Their prices were actually reasonable. But generally, if you want the bigger names at those regional/national shows, you are going to pay through the nose. And they've gone completely ridiculous with these inscription and photo op charges. I sort of get it with photos, because that really slows down a line if you just let people randomly take photos. But to have someone charge $35 to write "HOF" is kind of nuts.

Note for Sunday's Redford Show:

Attention Collectors!

We are sad to announce that Jim Gosger
will no longer be signing tomorrow (Sunday Feb 11th) 
at the Redford VFW Hall due to weather conditions in his area

The normal show will still continue and we will still have 
Rich "Dick" Billings signing autographs. We will be looking to reschedule 
Jim Gosger and will announce updates as usual.

I obtained Rich Billings autograph on a major league baseball with an inscription "Washington Senators 1968-71".  Not bad for $5.  What a great guy!  He told me he roomed with Denny McLain and had lots of stories.  His best teammate he ever played with was Tom Grieve, former outfielder with the Senators and Rangers.

Taylor - March 2018 Petry-Sheridan.jpg

Redford - April 2018 - Mike Heath.jpg

Redford - March 2018 Ray Herbert.jpg

Troy - April 2018 - JSA Auth.jpg

Troy - March 2018 Earl-Lusader.jpg

Stan,  Very light. Lots of dealers but not many in line for Billings.  Now, this was my view at 11:15am so it may have picked up a bit.  Local roads were still somewhat bad at the time.

6 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

Stan,  Very light. Lots of dealers but not many in line for Billings.  Now, this was my view at 11:15am so it may have picked up a bit.  Local roads were still somewhat bad at the time.

Probably not really a fair day to judge it with the way the weather was. But my concern is that they went a little too obscure. You could probably ask 100 baseball fans who those guys are and you might get one that knows them. Not to say the concept is wrong at all, because I certainly like some obscure guys too. But it will be interesting to see if they can tweak the guest list a bit and get a better turnout. I hope they do, because I enjoy the shows and really hope they continue. Mike Heath is actually a good one...not too obscure, but somebody that many of us probably need. 

I'm going to cast a vote for a couple of local hockey guys that would probably draw pretty well (and who haven't been around much for a while)...Mickey Redmond and Red Berenson. Mickey doesn't seem to do too many organized shows...not sure why that is, because he's always been very cordial and seems to be enjoying himself when I've seen him. I don't think Red has done anything around here for 5 or 6 years. With both the wings and Michigan connection, it seems like he'd draw.

First off Jim Gosger was snowed in on the water in Port Huron , so we only had Rich Billings. The crowd was a little late but pretty steady. In the end Rich did better than some Tigers have done. As Greg stated earlier Rich was really cool and personable, everyone who came seemed to enjoy him. Though the weather was horrible, the appearance was still a success. Certainly proof that people liked it and The Athlete Connection will be doing it again in the future. 

People that complain about the signers have to understand that we live in Michigan. This isn’t exactly the retirement haven for former ball players. Doing affordable local players is pretty limited. You start figuring in travel & hotel into the equation and prices change substantially. If yesterday was any indication the majority of people were very happy. It was a trial that went very well. 

15 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Probably not really a fair day to judge it with the way the weather was. But my concern is that they went a little too obscure. You could probably ask 100 baseball fans who those guys are and you might get one that knows them. Not to say the concept is wrong at all, because I certainly like some obscure guys too. But it will be interesting to see if they can tweak the guest list a bit and get a better turnout. I hope they do, because I enjoy the shows and really hope they continue. Mike Heath is actually a good one...not too obscure, but somebody that many of us probably need. 

I'm going to cast a vote for a couple of local hockey guys that would probably draw pretty well (and who haven't been around much for a while)...Mickey Redmond and Red Berenson. Mickey doesn't seem to do too many organized shows...not sure why that is, because he's always been very cordial and seems to be enjoying himself when I've seen him. I don't think Red has done anything around here for 5 or 6 years. With both the wings and Michigan connection, it seems like he'd draw.

I arrived around 12:30 and there was no line for Billings.  My COA is #46, which gives some idea of how many were in front of me.  I agree that Billings was incredibly personable.  Interacted with my 5 and 3 year old well and even hooked my son up with a free card/autograph of his own. 

I appreciate the different names that come in to the Redford show.  I did not know who Billings was before the show, but it's still fun to see and meet players at $5 a pop.  It was enticing too that Gosger was going to be there with him until he had to postpone.

I'm definitely looking forward to Heath.  Late 80's was when I started really getting into baseball so Heath is among the group of Tigers that helped me fall in love with the game.

4 hours ago, peze23 said:

I arrived around 12:30 and there was no line for Billings.  My COA is #46, which gives some idea of how many were in front of me.  I agree that Billings was incredibly personable.  Interacted with my 5 and 3 year old well and even hooked my son up with a free card/autograph of his own. 

I appreciate the different names that come in to the Redford show.  I did not know who Billings was before the show, but it's still fun to see and meet players at $5 a pop.  It was enticing too that Gosger was going to be there with him until he had to postpone.

I'm definitely looking forward to Heath.  Late 80's was when I started really getting into baseball so Heath is among the group of Tigers that helped me fall in love with the game.

Wondering if you would get Mike Heath to sign a catcher's mask for you?   I remember when he picked up the ball using his mask and the base runner was given a 3 base award.  First time I ever saw that happen in a game.....and will probably be years till I see it again. 

I too am glad to see Mike Heath making an appearance.  Not knocking guys like Walewander, Lusader, Gosger etc.  but Heath had more than a cup of Coffee in the Bigs...14 years to be exact.  He was a grinder.

13 hours ago, King53 said:

First off Jim Gosger was snowed in on the water in Port Huron , so we only had Rich Billings. The crowd was a little late but pretty steady. In the end Rich did better than some Tigers have done. As Greg stated earlier Rich was really cool and personable, everyone who came seemed to enjoy him. Though the weather was horrible, the appearance was still a success. Certainly proof that people liked it and The Athlete Connection will be doing it again in the future. 

People that complain about the signers have to understand that we live in Michigan. This isn’t exactly the retirement haven for former ball players. Doing affordable local players is pretty limited. You start figuring in travel & hotel into the equation and prices change substantially. If yesterday was any indication the majority of people were very happy. It was a trial that went very well. 

That is good to hear. I have to say, I'm just glad it's still happening at all in Michigan, because quite frankly, in the 2008-2011 time period, I thought the hobby was going to dry up here completely. You had the fanzone and goalies den closing up shop, Gibraltar got out of it almost completely, etc. Other than Redford, there really wasn't a place for the more affordable signings. The fact that Redford stayed alive is pretty amazing, actually. There have been plenty of times that I might not necessarily have an interest in a signer, but I still go to the show anyway. The other thing I've always appreciated is that you haven't gotten hung up with inscription charges, and it's also usually not a horrendous wait- the lines move well.

A lot of this issue with who people want to see is era driven- people obviously relate  more to people they watched growing up. So while someone might not be of interest to me, the next month there might be someone I saw play and remember fondly. You certainly can't please everyone all the time, and you are correct, not every ball player retires in Michigan.

Certainly looking forward to Heath. He was a bulldog for many years - not the most talented guy in the world, but a solid MLB'er who played very tough. I don't recall him ever doing any shows in the area, so those are definitely good ones to pull in. I suspect he'll do very well, primarily because you have more folks who are still collecting that saw him play, as opposed to some of the older players. 

West Michigan announced its Tiger Wednesdays.  Apparently a more attractive need to bring in fans than on Friday nights this year.  Some good names here, but a shorter list than what I remember:

June 6 - Cecil Fielder

July 11 - Dave Rozema

July 25 - Willie Horton

August 15 - Placido Polanco

August 22 - Mickey Stanley

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20150126&content_id=107532400&fext=.jsp&sid=t582&vkey

In ten days one of my favorite shows will be making its 27th Annual appearance. It's the West Side Christian School Sports Card and Collectibles show, located at 955 Westend NW in Grand Rapids.  The date is Saturday, March 3, and our friend Vern told me that like every year, all the 40+ tables (30+ dealers) are sold.  The show runs from 9AM - 3PM.

Signing at the show will be '60's Tiger Jake Wood, who is one of the first blacks to play with the team (Ozzie Virgil Sr. and HOFer Larry Doby preceded him), starting in 1961, and the first to be a consistent starter.  Jake is signing from 11AM - 1PM for $15 per auto ($10 for a card).  Here are the career stats of the 80 year old Wood: http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/W/Pwoodj107.htm

EVERY dollar collected at the show will be used by the school to help the kids at West Side Christian.  So be generous!

I will have two tables at the show, and am selling primarily autos from the Tigers' four championship years:  1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984, including a lot of HOF items and many items from my PC that were not available previously.  Two examples:  1968 near mint yearbook signed by 37 Tigers, and a 1984 yearbook signed by EVERY player and coach from that 1984 team (51 autos) with 5 HOFers; both are pre-certified!  Also a lot of signed photos.  Plus I will have seven huge binders full of autographed cards, primarily Tigers, with 2 of the binders full of $2 signed cards.  Hope to see you there!

Don't forget the great show this week Sat., March 3, at West Side Christian (see above for more details).  I am selling a number of autos of Morris, Trammell, and Sparky, at great prices.  See you there.

7 hours ago, MotownWebGuy said:

TriStar has begun to announce the signers for the National Sports Convention in Cleveland, OH this August.

http://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html#National

I'm planning on attending to add a few more baseballs to my autograph HOF collection.  Anyone else thinking of going?

I've never gone, but I've always said I was going to try it some day. Not sure if this will be the year or not. One thing about those shows, they get ridiculously expensive. Depending on who you want, you can drop an awful lot of money. I mean, just the baseball guys alone, there's probably at least a dozen good HOFers that we never see in Michigan (and never will). And most of them have great sigs. Tough to narrow it down. Most of the prices on these guys are going to be $60+, with at least $29 for any inscriptions. Every once in a while you'll get a "roll back price" on one of them, or a break on an inscription charge, but it's pretty rare. You pretty much have to go into it with a narrow list or you can easily drop big money.

Unfortunately, the national type shows are really the only way to get certain players. I guess we should feel fortunate it is in the midwest...at least Cleveland isn't a bad drive from Michigan. 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, stanpapi said:

I've never gone, but I've always said I was going to try it some day. Not sure if this will be the year or not. One thing about those shows, they get ridiculously expensive. Depending on who you want, you can drop an awful lot of money. I mean, just the baseball guys alone, there's probably at least a dozen good HOFers that we never see in Michigan (and never will). And most of them have great sigs. Tough to narrow it down. Most of the prices on these guys are going to be $60+, with at least $29 for any inscriptions. Every once in a while you'll get a "roll back price" on one of them, or a break on an inscription charge, but it's pretty rare. You pretty much have to go into it with a narrow list or you can easily drop big money.

Unfortunately, the national type shows are really the only way to get certain players. I guess we should feel fortunate it is in the midwest...at least Cleveland isn't a bad drive from Michigan. 

It does get relatively expensive, especially when it comes to some of your most recent retired players who are HOF bound, or recently inducted.  Players like Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, ARod, etc. command upwards of $150-$200 for a signed ball.  Jim Thome was charging a bunch a few years back which I expect may be even higher now.  Some of the older HOF players are a bargain in comparison, but as you said they can still start around $60.

I've been collecting autographed balls by living members of the HOF for 15-20 years now, so I've got a nice collection going and was able to get some at decent prices over the years.  Many of the players at this years National that I'm interested in should be in the under $60-$100 category, so hopefully I can add a couple more. 

As for the inscriptions, I tend to skip them.  I collect them to keep, not to sell so the inscription isn't as important to me.  For years now, I have been having HOFers sign the official HOF balls, so that's as good of an inscription for me.  I pick up balls up for a good price usually at a Rawlings Outlet store during my travels.

I've never seen a roll-back priced offered at a National convention...  I've seen those offered at the smaller Chicago shows they have in the spring and winter, but the National is unfortunately big bucks.

All that said, if you collect autographs, it is a great opportunity to see a lot of players you normally wouldn't have a chance to see.  And if you live in the midwest, we are lucky to have these shows so close to us nearly every year.

Any chance in **** we will see a Lou Whitaker or a Kirk Gibson sign in the Metro Detroit area any time soon? I know Gibson does announcing for the Tigers but I rather not have a rushed auto.

Thanks,
Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, aharvey said:

Any chance in **** we will see a Lou Whitaker or a Kirk Gibson sign in the Metro Detroit area any time soon? I know Gibson does announcing for the Tigers but I rather not have a rushed auto.

Thanks,
Adam

Gibson has done signings with DC Sports in recent times, so I would suspect to see him there again at some point in 2018.

Whitaker has also done local shows recently, so I'm sure he will be around again in due time.

I haven't heard of anything coming up...

On 3/5/2018 at 11:23 AM, aharvey said:

Thanks,
Adam

If you don't see them this summer, you'll see them next year for the 35th anniversary of the 84 team. With the tigers being as bad as they are projected to be over the next couple of years, I think you will continue to see alot of promotions around the championship teams to get people to come out to the park. That means alot of those guys will be in town. 

To echo everyone else, if you are patient, all the 84 guys (with few exceptions) come around frequent. Guys like Trammell, Whitaker, Gibson, and Morris are generally once a year or more.

Prices seem to keep going up and are likely not coming back down. If you have specific piece you need them on, it's best to get it done when the opportunity arises (or wait until the next time they inevitably do a signing).

To echo everyone else, if you are patient, all the 84 guys (with few exceptions) come around frequent. Guys like Trammell, Whitaker, Gibson, and Morris are generally once a year or more.
Prices seem to keep going up and are likely not coming back down. If you have specific piece you need them on, it's best to get it done when the opportunity arises (or wait until the next time they inevitably do a signing).

There is a signing for Gibson in CA, $99, is this a decent price? Is he higher or lower when he signs here in Detroit?

Thanks,
Adam

1 hour ago, aharvey said:

There is a signing for Gibson in CA, $99, is this a decent price? Is he higher or lower when he signs here in Detroit?

Thanks,
Adam

That's very high for Kirk. I think he was $55 the last time he was here for a flat (I might be off a little, but it sure wasn't $99). I think they gouge the folks in la-la land. :D