mbrieve

Upcoming signings

Here are the flyers for the next Taylor Town and Redford shows in January.  If you do not already have Wayne Comer's autograph you may want to consider getting him.  The 73 year old is a member of the 1968 WS Champion Tigers and an original Seattle Pilot and Milwaukee Brewer.

I will not be able to attend next week's event in Troy.  Hopefully, somebody can post the flyer or type the signer  information for their January show.  Thanks.

Lloyd McClendon - Redford - Jan 2018.jpg

Comer-Horton-Blessitt Taylor Jan 2018.jpg

So I sent in my work in progress ‘84 team ball for Chet and Jack.

Sent it Wednesday as I live a county or so away and this is normally a 1 day delivery. Our mailman never showed up Wednesday, so I took it to the post office in Oakland County by my work and change the first class to Priority. Never showed up Friday, Saturday and is still on the way to the county. I am super pissed!!!!!

Sorry for my rant..... Anyway.... what are the odds Chet signs again this year? I am sure Jack will considering now he is a HOF and can charge more.

Thanks, Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack will be back for sure in 2018, perhaps the weekend his number is retired by he Tigers, if not sooner.  I am pretty sure that he can only sign with a HOF '18 inscription AFTER he is officially inducted (but not 100% sure).  I usually see Chet make the rounds every 12-18 months so be patient with his autograph and you will get it.

You have a very nice ball in progress, Adam.

Jack will be back for sure in 2018, perhaps the weekend his number is retired by he Tigers, if not sooner.  I am pretty sure that he can only sign with a HOF '18 inscription AFTER he is officially inducted (but not 100% sure).  I usually see Chet make the rounds every 12-18 months so be patient with his autograph and you will get it.

Thanks Greg, honestly I don’t t care about the inscription on this ball. The only inscription I got was the WS MVP by Allan.

I heard Chet was hard but now you told me he comes around that often I will definitely keep a spot on the ball. I still have so many not sure where I am going to fit everyone.

Thanks again,
Adam

2 hours ago, aharvey said:

Thanks Greg, honestly I don’t t care about the inscription on this ball. The only inscription I got was the WS MVP by Allan.

I heard Chet was hard but now you told me he comes around that often I will definitely keep a spot on the ball. I still have so many not sure where I am going to fit everyone.

Thanks again,
Adam

I keep a pretty complete list of the signings in the Detroit area- even if I don't make it to all of them. I wouldn't say that Chet necessarily shows up here "often", but he has picked up the pace around the Detroit area over the last few years.

He did a signing in livonia in 2002. I remember specifically kicking myself for missing that one, because I didn't recall seeing him here before then.  After that one, he didn't come back again until 2009. Then he came here again in 2012. Then once in 2016 and now in 2017. To be fair, he had a pretty significant health issue in the mid 2000s- I believe a very serious stomach illness- that reportedly almost killed him. I saw him last in 2016 and he looked really thin, but healthy. Great guy and a very good teacher of the game. 

The one thing about these 84 guys- I have met almost all of them, and they are all (for the most part) very good guys and always willing to talk about their experiences in that year. Back in the day, you never knew what you'd get with Gibby, but literally every time I've seen him over the last 10 years, he's been tremendous with the fans. I think like most of us, they've all mellowed with time. 

If Chet doesn't show in 2018, I would suspect he'd be around again in 2019 for the 35th anniversary. The tigers usually take advantage of the anniversaries of the championship teams. I suspect 2018 is going to be a big year again for the 68 guys. Since the tigers don't have much of a draw otherwise, they've got to bring the fans down somehow....

good luck!

10 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

That's an interesting comment. I'm not sure that is exactly true. I thought some of the new HOFers signed that way at the Chicago show they have every year, which is generally the week before the HOF ceremony (I think). I could be wrong about that, but I think I've seen a few of them do it (technically) before they are inducted. I don't begrudge any of them waiting until they are officially "in" to do it, however. 

Just found this listing for this Sat., Dec. 23.  I don't think Denny has been in Lansing in a long time:

“DENNY MCLAIN SHOW”‬
‪ ‘MERIDIAN MALL’‬
‪ 1982 Grand River Ave‬
‪ Okemos, Michigan ‬
‪ MERIDIAN MALL‬
‪ SATURDAY 12/23–‬
‪DENNY SIGNS 930-3PM‬

On 12/22/2017 at 11:15 AM, LivoniaGreg said:

I read at the link below that '68 Tiger Tom Matchick and 1988 Tiger Luis Salazar were to be the Troy signers for January. It doesn't indicate what hours/days each player is signing.

http://www.cravetheauto.com/autograph-appearances/2018/01/19/tom-matchick-luis-salazar-former-detroit-tigers

If you hit the "verification link" on the cravetheauto.com site, it will take you to a PDF file of the flyer. Matchick is Saturday, January 20th from 1-3. $10 any item, $8 card. 

Luis Salazar is Sunday, January 21st from 12-2pm. $15 and $10, respectively. 

I didn't realize that Salazar had his left eye removed in 2011 as the result of getting hit with a foul ball in a spring training game. 

When Brian McCann was playing for the Braves, he fouled a pitch off that hit Salazar in the face.  Salazar was standing at the top of the dugout.  McCann was said to have taken it pretty hard.  Unfortunate incident.

20 hours ago, aharvey said:

Thanks! Already have this one on the calendar. A little bit more than the show I missed but will be worth it.

So they basically want you to spent $100 if you want Jack to write "HOF 18" in addition to his name....wow. Inflation much? The last time I got Jack, he was $25. It isn't a secret that he has always hated inscriptions, but $39 for "HOF" is a bit nuts.

To be clear, however....this is not DC Sports' pricing. There is also this show in January in Westchester NY that has the identical rates (below). This must be Jack's new going rate....yikes... 

Per: https://www.nyshows.org/january-autograph-guests/

Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg

Jack Morris

HOF 2018
4x World Series Champ
1991 World Series MVP
4/7/1984 - No Hitter
Winningest Pitcher in the 80's

Saturday - January 13th
11:00-12:30pm

Balls and All Flats - $59.00
Bats/Jersey's/Caps/Equipment - $79.00
Inscription - $29.00
HOF Inscriptions - $39.00

Courtesy of MAB Celebrities Services

Next Taylor Show in February  has 84 World Champ Tiger Larry Herndon and Bruce Fields (Tigers 1986).  Attached is the flyer:

Taylor - Herndon-Fields Feb 2018.jpg

Here is the flyer for the next Redford Show in March.  Two non-Tigers but Michigan residents will be signing.  Rich Billings and outfielder Jim Gosger.

Redford - Feb 2018 Billings - Gosger.jpg

I agree, Stan.  I do not recall very much regarding the ex-spartan Dick Billings but I do recall Jim Gosger. Willie Horton'***** went over Gosger's head to give Denny McLain his 30th victory.  Jim was also a member of the 1969 Amazing Mets but did not play in the World Series. Additional, he was a member of the 1973 National League Champion Mets ("You gotta believe" Tug McGraw team) but again was not when they reached the World Series.

$5 for a major league autograph isn't much and when adding a free inscription it may be a good deal.

I do like the idea of getting some non-Tigers in town for signings.

9 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

I agree, Stan.  I do not recall very much regarding the ex-spartan Dick Billings but I do recall Jim Gosger. Willie Horton'***** went over Gosger's head to give Denny McLain his 30th victory.  Jim was also a member of the 1969 Amazing Mets but did not play in the World Series. Additional, he was a member of the 1973 National League Champion Mets ("You gotta believe" Tug McGraw team) but again was not when they reached the World Series.

$5 for a major league autograph isn't much and when adding a free inscription it may be a good deal.

I do like the idea of getting some non-Tigers in town for signings.

Thanks for the info. Completely agree on the non tiger signings. 

I wonder if Mark has ever looked into getting Rusty Staub? Kind of a Tiger/non Tiger....I don't recall him ever doing anything here, but he's done shows on the east coast. Travel/cost might be an issue, however. How about a guy like Kenny Rogers? Maybe the same issue, but would love to see him do a show around here. 

I am really appreciative of Mark's efforts over the years. I know it's not easy to keep coming up with different guests. I know he likes to keep the cost reasonable, which is part of the reason you have a somewhat limited pool to choose from. Having said this, I do think it would be interesting if he could get some non-tiger HOFers that might live in relatively close proximity. I know that's easier said than done, and even the "second tier" HOFers still come with a larger price tag. 

These prices are about five years old, so figure what they would be today: Rusty Stab wanted a $15,000 guarantee... His ***cost*** was over $20 per item (balls & small flats) and more for premiums... Plus travel , hotel & expenses...  He refuses to sign any photo not stickered by Photo File among other stipulations... Needless to say Rusty isn’t an option....

Remember last year around thanksgiving Athlete Connection brought in non Tiger , but Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry.. (also had plans of Ferguson Jenkins and/or Whitey Herzog)... Needless to say the latter did not happen after the complete flop of Gaylord... The support for signings of this nature is just not there... Period

Over the last year I can count on one hand the autograph appearances that have actually broken even for The Athlete Connection... You are correct when you say Mark does his best to find quality guests and keep the prices reasonable... Problem is not many players stay in the area anymore so travel and hotel expenses are also involved... I applaud Mark for keeping it going as it would be more profitable for him to just do private signings...

Next months Redford show is a test of something new (along with still doing ex-Tigers)...Both are local ex- major leaguers and super nice guys... The price is right too so hopefully people come out and support it and maybe it grows into bigger names...

The truth is people ***** no matter who you bring in... If you brought in Ty Cobb people would complain that they needed Babe Ruth... It’s never ending... 

It won’t be long when autographs are a thing of the past as players just have made too much money to bother with it.... Hopefully people will come out and support the appearances and keep it going as long as we possibly can

9 hours ago, King53 said:

These prices are about five years old, so figure what they would be today: Rusty Stab wanted a $15,000 guarantee... His ***cost*** was over $20 per item (balls & small flats) and more for premiums... Plus travel , hotel & expenses...  He refuses to sign any photo not stickered by Photo File among other stipulations... Needless to say Rusty isn’t an option....

Remember last year around thanksgiving Athlete Connection brought in non Tiger , but Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry.. (also had plans of Ferguson Jenkins and/or Whitey Herzog)... Needless to say the latter did not happen after the complete flop of Gaylord... The support for signings of this nature is just not there... Period

Over the last year I can count on one hand the autograph appearances that have actually broken even for The Athlete Connection... You are correct when you say Mark does his best to find quality guests and keep the prices reasonable... Problem is not many players stay in the area anymore so travel and hotel expenses are also involved... I applaud Mark for keeping it going as it would be more profitable for him to just do private signings...

Next months Redford show is a test of something new (along with still doing ex-Tigers)...Both are local ex- major leaguers and super nice guys... The price is right too so hopefully people come out and support it and maybe it grows into bigger names...

The truth is people ***** no matter who you bring in... If you brought in Ty Cobb people would complain that they needed Babe Ruth... It’s never ending... 

It won’t be long when autographs are a thing of the past as players just have made too much money to bother with it.... Hopefully people will come out and support the appearances and keep it going as long as we possibly can

Wow...This is good, yet bad, info at the same time! Thank you for posting it. 

On Rusty...just, wow. Usually it's the big names that have crazy demands like that. Good player, but certainly not a huge name. Not worth the trouble for someone that finicky. Now it makes sense as to why I've only ever seen him do signings in NY. 

I figured the larger names probably weren't possible for Mark. If DC Sports can't even do it, then he certainly can't. DC had Jenkins a while ago. There seemed to be a decent number of people there, but I don't know how they made out with it. The only non-detroit athletes I've really seen them bring in over the last 10 years is Jenkins, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and Bobby Hull. There may have been one or two others, but those were the bigger names. It's a shame that you have to spend an arm and a leg to go to a "national" type show if you want a chance to get those guys, but that is what it has become.

I think you're right, the fact that the newer players won't want to deal with it, plus the fact that so many of them don't care what their sig looks like will kill this hobby, eventually. Sad. 

Anyone from around the Oakland or Macomb area going to Taylor Sunday that I can trust with my signed ball? I need Larry on it and just can’t make it down there.

Thanks,
Adam

• Like 1

Does anyone know if any players sign in the Toledo area or any locations that host signings?  It doesn't have to be Tigers.  Thanks in advance.

Lastraps, I have been looking for Toledo signings, as well and have not seen any listed during the past 6 months.  Here is the link I use, scroll down a bit and you can click on the state of Ohio or any other state's signings including Michigan.:

http://www.cravetheauto.com/player-appearances/

I went the Chicago Sports Spectacular Show a few years ago and it was pretty good but autographs are not cheap.  There are also a lot of vendors (many from out-of-town) selling autographs, as well. This event used to be called the Chicago-Sun-Times Show.  There is admission and do your homework on who is signing on which weekend day, for those interested in going to this event.

http://www.cravetheauto.com/autograph-appearances/2018/03/16-18/chicago-sports-spectacular