Jump to content

mbrieve

Upcoming signings

Recommended Posts


On 3/6/2016 at 1:20 PM, mbrieve said:

Got this e-mail from Tigers Authentics:

Hi. Good news to report. Former Tigers outfielder Chet Lemon will participate in a public signing here at the ballpark on Saturday June 4th. More information will be coming...

I haven't received any further information from the tigers on this, but I did notice on the most recent auction that they were selling tickets to a "private signing" with chet lemon on the same day. So I'm not so sure there will BE a public signing.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chet Lemon will only be doing a private signing.

From Marc Himelstein:

It is only a private signing.His flight arrangements did not allow for enough time to do a public signing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JimDavison said:

Chet Lemon will only be doing a private signing.

From Marc Himelstein:

It is only a private signing.His flight arrangements did not allow for enough time to do a public signing.  

That's too bad. I have a multisigned item I'd prefer not to send.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attended the Taylortown Show today to get Larry Herndon's autograph.  He's a real nice guy and there was a pretty decent crowd while I was there.  I asked Larry what was a bigger thrill - Hitting a 2 run HR in game #1 to help the Tigers win 3-2  or catching the final out of the series?  He replied, "without a doubt!  catching the final out.  That meant is was over and there were no more games and we were champions!". Denny McLain was also signing in a different area.  I believe Denny is signing again tomorrow.

 

I picked all the available flyers for future shows:

Redford:

Open 9am-2pm  -  Sunday, May 15th - Rick Leach 11am -1pm  $8 any item, $5 card

Open 9am-2pm  -   Sunday June 5th - Ray Lane  11am-1pm $10 any Item

 

Taylor Town:

Open June 3-4-5 :  Friday, 12-7, Saturday 10-6, Sunday 10-4

Saturday, June 4th,  Hal Naragon 12pm - 2pm $10 any item, $7 trading card

Sunday, June 5th, Nick Libett 12pm-2pm - $6 any item, $4 trading card

 

Warren Midwest Sports Collector Show

Royalty House Banquet Facility

8201 East 13 Mile Rd.

Warren Michigan 48093

1-696, Exit 23 (Van ****) North to 13 mile Rd , turn right

Free admission, free parking

 

June 26th, 9am - 4pm (note times for signers will be announced - Midwestsportscollectors.com)

Mike Henneman - $15 an item, $10 any card

Wille Horton - $15 any item, $10 any card, $10 inscription

Matt Nokes - $15 any item, $10 any card

Lou Whitaker - $40 any item, $35 any card, $20 inscription

Jake Wood - $12 any item, $10 any card

John Knox - $8 any item, $5 any card

 

 

Sunday, June 26th 9 am - 4pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LivoniaGreg said:

Attended the Taylortown Show today to get Larry Herndon's autograph.  He's a real nice guy and there was a pretty decent crowd while I was there.  I asked Larry what was a bigger thrill - Hitting a 2 run HR in game #1 to help the Tigers win 3-2  or catching the final out of the series?  He replied, "without a doubt!  catching the final out.  That meant is was over and there were no more games and we were champions!". Denny McLain was also signing in a different area.  I believe Denny is signing again tomorrow.

 

I picked all the available flyers for future shows:

Redford:

Open 9am-2pm  -  Sunday, May 15th - Rick Leach 11am -1pm  $8 any item, $5 card

Open 9am-2pm  -   Sunday June 5th - Ray Lane  11am-1pm $10 any Item

 

Taylor Town:

Open June 3-4-5 :  Friday, 12-7, Saturday 10-6, Sunday 10-4

Saturday, June 4th,  Hal Naragon 12pm - 2pm $10 any item, $7 trading card

Sunday, June 5th, Nick Libett 12pm-2pm - $6 any item, $4 trading card

 

Warren Midwest Sports Collector Show

Royalty House Banquet Facility

8201 East 13 Mile Rd.

Warren Michigan 48093

1-696, Exit 23 (Van ****) North to 13 mile Rd , turn right

Free admission, free parking

 

June 26th, 9am - 4pm (note times for signers will be announced - Midwestsportscollectors.com)

Mike Henneman - $15 an item, $10 any card

Wille Horton - $15 any item, $10 any card, $10 inscription

Matt Nokes - $15 any item, $10 any card

Lou Whitaker - $40 any item, $35 any card, $20 inscription

Jake Wood - $12 any item, $10 any card

John Knox - $8 any item, $5 any card

 

 

Sunday, June 26th 9 am - 4pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I literally had just typed all this out and was about to push "submit" when I saw you reply to the thread. There's 10 minutes of typing I'll never get back ^_^. Seriously, since you beat me to it, I will add a few additional comments:

The flyer indicates that other signers will be announced. It refers you to midwestsportscollectors.com, however, the only thing on that site currently is the Rick Leach flyer and the flyer for this weekend's Taylor Town Show. I google mapped the banquet center and it has a huge parking lot. So I don't think there will be any problem with space.

Nokes and Henneman are good ones- neither have been around for several years. But it seems like they could use one or two other bigger names to round this show out. Chet Lemon, Darrell Evans & Willie Hernandez would all be good choices. Absent any of those guys, I'd always be up for other non-tiger baseball HOFers. I often wonder why no one can get Johnny Bench. He does shows in Ohio- you'd think someone could bring him here. He'd cost, but I think he'd draw pretty well. Pete Rose would be another one that I think would do great here. Probably guys that the promoters wouldn't want to take a risk with, but they've never been here as far as I know.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotty Earl added to the Midwest sports collectors show. Plus Jack Morris (Private signing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

I'm sure this has already been noticed by most, but FanaticU has two public signings posted.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia - Monday June 27th, 6PM at the Brighton location

Michael Fulmer - Sunday July 17th, 6PM at the Fraser location

12739-2T.jpg

37283-2T.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from the Redford Show today to get Ray Lane's autograph.  Here is the information I picked up about upcoming shows.  If you can't see the links when you click on them, let me know.  Times for the June 26th show in Warren have been released.  Note- Matt Nokes has been replaced by Mickey Lolich.

 

Redford Aug 2016.pdf

Taylor July 2016.pdf

Warren June 2016.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes...hopefully that's not all they were able to get for the Warren show. I noticed the flyer no longer says "other signers to be announced". If that's it, it's probably a pass for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A show with Sweet Lou , Lolich and Horton is hardly a show to pass on... I think some people are delusional when it comes to how much promotors have to pay these guys to make an autograph appearance... And the idea of bringing a non tiger hall of famer such as Bench here would result in a serious money loss for whoever put the signing on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, King53 said:

A show with Sweet Lou , Lolich and Horton is hardly a show to pass on... I think some people are delusional when it comes to how much promotors have to pay these guys to make an autograph appearance... And the idea of bringing a non tiger hall of famer such as Bench here would result in a serious money loss for whoever put the signing on

DC brought in Lou Brock. And bob gibson. why not bench or rose? They do shows in Ohio all the time. Warren is not too far from Ohio.....

aside from guys like that, my point is, Lou has been here a lot recently. Micky and Willie are around all the time. I'd just like to see them mix it up a little more, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DC sports is a whole different monster as they have store fronts and also are involved in golf outings and charity events almost every week where they can sell , auction or donate pieces to make up for their losses...

How many Reds fans are in Warren Michigan ? It's not Ohio where Reds may have some success... Bench is has a menu for graph prices and I don't see Detroit area collectors laying down the cash on the multiple items that it would take to bring him here... If someone needed him on a piece they would have already made the trip to Ohio to get it most likely...

As far as this Warren show is concerned I'd say it's a solid Tiger line up... Yes Lou was here and Mick and Willie are around, but who else do you want? Chet was just here for the Tigers and they manipulated every second of his time... Willie Hernandez currently has no interest in doing shows... Gibby and Tram have prices through the roof now... Not many other options really... Also the Morris private is a nice add on at a good price... I'm just saying it's pretty damn nice for a local show in my eyes

Edited by King53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly the days of $10 Hall of Famers and free Tiger greats at the mall are over... I for one am happy someone is still putting on these signings as I'm sure they aren't making bank on them.... I'm afraid someday soon we will be bitching about there not being any signings instead of bitching about the quality of signers at them... I'm  going to appreciate what we get... That's just how I look at it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad lineup but could use some guys that are not around as often as some of these guys are, but I will still be there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the people here who get balls autographed, how do you store them to protect from fading and bleeding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dirk42 said:

For the people here who get balls autographed, how do you store them to protect from fading and bleeding?

I use the UV protected ball cubes.  They are like 50 cents more, but I've had good luck with them.

P.S.  I'm getting very close to finishing my 1984 project, who's flying to Puerto Rico to get Willie's autograph for me!?  :-)

         -- Tim 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you display them or keep them stored and do you keep them in a certain temperature. I also almost have the complete 84 team except Hernandez,Brookens and I know he was just here but could not make the Herndan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dirk42 said:

Do you display them or keep them stored and do you keep them in a certain temperature. I also almost have the complete 84 team except Hernandez,Brookens and I know he was just here but could not make the Herndan.

In cubes, most behind glass.  Jersey in a case.

But we should probably keep this post on-topic about up-coming signings...

       -- Tim 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably past due for Carlos Guillen, Dmitri Young, Travis Fryman, Tony Clark, and Damian Easley to come back for a signing. 

Also think a U of Michigan show would do well. There's so many alum that could come. David Terrell, Drew Henson, Anthony Thomas, Biakabutuka, Streets, Grbac Griese etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take - The difference between recent players like Carlos Guillen (for example) and old time players like Dan Petry (for example) is that the players from say, the mid 90s and since have made so much money playing baseball that they don't need to spend a day signing autographs.  They are already well off financially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

My take - The difference between recent players like Carlos Guillen (for example) and old time players like Dan Petry (for example) is that the players from say, the mid 90s and since have made so much money playing baseball that they don't need to spend a day signing autographs.  They are already well off financially.

Probably true. But it's not like guys like Dan are getting rich signing autographs at $7 a pop. I think with a lot of these guys the difference is that they enjoy seeing the fans and talking about the good old days. Not every athlete is like that. Some of them just want to go away and not be bothered with it, which is of course their choice. I think Willie Hernandez is probably in that camp now- for a while he was around and signing quite a bit. Then he apparently decided to stop doing it. To each his own. I'd personally like to see Darrell Evans again because I'm working on another team piece and need him. But other than him and maybe Tom Brookens & Chet Lemon, I'm pretty well done with the 84 team. I will say that I have met everyone on that 1984 team, and to a guy, they've always been very nice, genuine people (admittedly sometimes Gibby could be a bit ornery in earlier days, but the last time I saw him he was incredibly gracious and polite). Even Jack Morris has mellowed. I think that's one of the reasons that is my favorite team. They are good guys to talk to.

With respect to the Midwestsportscollectors show, I don't have any problem with the guest list, I just think it's a bit repetitive. Don't misunderstand... I love and appreciate that Mark still does this. I would just like to see a few different guys come around. The suggestions about former Michigan players are great. Sometimes all the promoters around here (DC Sports included) get in a rut and keep recycling the same guys over and over. I remember the year that DC sports had Ted Lindsay 5 times in one year. Admittedly, Ted is terrific and has a an iconically great signature. But variety is also a good thing too.

With respect to the bigger names like Bench and Rose- I recall a show in Toledo 30 some years ago where Mantle and Whitey Ford came in. The place was completely packed. So icons from other teams can do pretty well here if appropriately marketed. DC has drawn a lot of people with Bobby Hull in the last several years. Frankly, if DC is going to charge $60+ for JD Martinez, $90 for Johnny Bench (pretty much his going rate) seems like a steal. But I understand there can be difficulties in actually getting those guys. I would just think that after all this time, somebody would have snagged a guy like that. We've pretty much focused on all the home town guys around here- promoters in cities like St. Louis, while still focusing on St. Louis players, tend to get a lot more variety for their shows.

The one thing I always suggested is a show with Bob Gibson, Mickey Lolich and Denny Mclain. I think that would do incredibly well here. All the guys would command a premium.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Warren Card Show today featuring, John Know (72 Tigers), Scott Earl (84 Tigers, Jake Wood (1961-67 Tigers), Mike Henneman (1987-95 Tigers) Willie Horton, Mickey Lolich and Lou Whitaker and picked up a flyer for July 16th.

 

Gibraltar Trade Center - Mt Clemens (not Taylor)

237 North Rd (I-94, Exit 237)

 

Mail order/advance tickets - 586-465-6440

 

Manon Rheaume , famous female goalie appearing 12-2pm Saturday, July 16th,  $15 any item, $10 inscription

She is an Olympic silver medalist for Canada and is the only woman to play in the NHL.

 

Darren McCarty, appeaing 2:30-4 pm, Saturday, July 16th.  $19 any item, $15 trading card and $10 inscription.

Former Red Wings star and four-time Stanley Cup Champion

 

The next Redford show is in Auguys featuring Randy O'Neil of the '84 Tigers. (see above posts for details)

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't make it to the show today. I pretty much already have the bigger names that were there, so it was hard to get motivated to drive 40+ miles for any of them. Were there alot of dealer tables? I think the best show I've seen around here now in terms of number of tables is actually the taylor show. It's definitely a dump of a location, but it's a huge show space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,792
    • Total Posts
      3,011,941
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...