mbrieve

Upcoming signings

I would be on board big time with a Russian 4 signing

I got Federov once at the hall of fame ceremony, but need him a few more times!! It would be great to get him here for a signing....

Just a note, I stopped by the Redford Show Today and picked up a couple of ads for upcoming shows:

Taylor Town Center Sports Card Show April 2-3-4

Thursday 2-6, Friday, 12-8, Saturday 10-6

22525 Ecorse Road

Taylor, MI

(1/4 mile east of Telegraph)

Lou Whitaker appearing Saturday April 4th, 12-2 pm

$40.00 Any Item, $35.00 Trading Card, $20.00 Inscription

The Redford Show

Sunday, April 12th 9-2

Redford VFW Hall

27345 Schoolcraft Road

Redford, MI 48239

(just east of Inskter Road on the south side of (Schoolcraft)

Dave Rozema appearing 11-1

$5.00 any item, $3.00 card

Just a note, I stopped by the Redford Show Today and picked up a couple of ads for upcoming shows:

Taylor Town Center Sports Card Show April 2-3-4

Thursday 2-6, Friday, 12-8, Saturday 10-6

22525 Ecorse Road

Taylor, MI

(1/4 mile east of Telegraph)

Lou Whitaker appearing Saturday April 4th, 12-2 pm

$40.00 Any Item, $35.00 Trading Card, $20.00 Inscription

The Redford Show

Sunday, April 12th 9-2

Redford VFW Hall

27345 Schoolcraft Road

Redford, MI 48239

(just east of Inskter Road on the south side of (Schoolcraft)

Dave Rozema appearing 11-1

$5.00 any item, $3.00 card

Thanks for passing this on. Interesting that they are only having Whitaker at the next Taylor show. They have been having 2 or 3 guests per weekend. I guess the 4th is easter weekend, so perhaps that explains why.

Morgan is a great pick up for DC. I have been hoping they'd consider bringing in some more non-Detroit Hall of famers for a while now, and I am particularly happy to see them do something somewhere OTHER than Lakeside mall, which is the other end of the world for many of us. And I've been hoping someone would bring the Big Red Machine guys in for a while now. The price is steep, but it's in line with what these guys get nationally. Fisk gets $79 plus $25 for inscriptions. Bench is very similar, as is robin yount. For sure these guys were cheaper 5 years ago, but that was also during the economic downturn. I picked up Pete Rose for $29 in person 2010. He's in the $60s/70s now. It's just the way the market is. These aren't the guys that you can go and pick up multiple items on without spending alot of cash. I've always said- if you want to get good players for cheap, you need to catch them when they are just breaking in. You won't hit on everyone, but the ones you do hit on will be worthwhile. I got Zetterberg in his rookie year for $10. Datsyuk was $8 in his rookie year. Of course, I also am the proud owner of a Dimitri Bykov 8X10. You win some and lose some.

This probably worked out because Joe was in the midwest that weekend. He is signing for free at a minor league game in Indianapolis the day before the DC signing. But hopefully Steve will be able to get Bench in sometime and maybe even Perez. Rose regularly does shows in Ohio, so you would think that would be possible too. These guys all do the major show circuit, and those travel through Cleveland and Chicago regularly.

Edited by stanpapi

"DETROIT TIGERS OPENER PARTY", with Denny McLain, Dave Rozema, and former Buffalo Bill and Michigan Panther Ray Bentley signing. Donations for the autographs, with the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Grand Rapids. It will be on Monday, April 6, from Noon - 4PM at Woody's Press Box, located at 5656 Clyde Park Ave. SW in Wyoming. Door Prizes. There will also be an auction.

McLain and Rozema are well known. Ray Bentley played with the Michigan Panthers from 1983-85, and played in the Bill's first two Super Bowls. He also played with several other teams, and is the author of several children's books.

Remember, the monies are going to the kids!

Picked up the flyer for next month's signers at Taylor Town trade center. They are as follows:

Former Tiger Pat Sheridan, Saturday, May 2nd-12-2pm; $5 any item, $3 for cards

Former Tiger Juan Berenguer, Saturday, May 2nd- 2-4pm; $12 any item, $7 for cards

Former Red Wing Dwight Foster, Sunday, May 3rd- 2-4pm; $6 any item, $3 cards

The next Redford Show is Sunday, May 3rd. Autograph guest is former catcher and 68 Tiger coach Hal Naragon- 11-1pm; $10 any item; $7 cards

Also, I picked up a flyer on this at the redford show on Sunday- The Brighton Card & Comic collector Show will have former Wolverine Mike Hart at the May 17th show. No time or price is announced yet. They don't appear to have anyone lined up for the show this Sunday (4/19). They didn't have an autograph guest last month either. Hopefully they are able to get some guys appearing regularly. I don't know too many card shows that are able to survive for long without autograph guests to draw people in.

I'm sure some of you may have already discovered it, but Tigers Autographs for a Cause has been posted to the site:

Tigers Foundation | tigers.com: Community

Miggy is up to $120 a card. I don't seem to remember it being quite that high last year, but I'm also not too shocked. David Price ($40) and Alan Trammell ($20) highlight some of the new options in 2015.

The next Redford Show is Sunday, May 3rd. Autograph guest is former catcher and 68 Tiger coach Hal Naragon- 11-1pm; $10 any item; $7 cards

Also, I picked up a flyer on this at the redford show on Sunday- The Brighton Card & Comic collector Show will have former Wolverine Mike Hart at the May 17th show. No time or price is announced yet. They don't appear to have anyone lined up for the show this Sunday (4/19). They didn't have an autograph guest last month either. Hopefully they are able to get some guys appearing regularly. I don't know too many card shows that are able to survive for long without autograph guests to draw people in.

It feels like it has been quite some time since the Redford show has had multiple signers. Are they just running out of new athletes to bring in? It doesn't seem like that is the case since almost every month has been a repeat from a guy who was brought in 1-3 years ago.

Thanks for the tip on the Brighton show. I am on board with your thoughts. I hope it thrives and survives since it's only a 15 minute drive for me. :)

It feels like it has been quite some time since the Redford show has had multiple signers. Are they just running out of new athletes to bring in? It doesn't seem like that is the case since almost every month has been a repeat from a guy who was brought in 1-3 years ago.

Thanks for the tip on the Brighton show. I am on board with your thoughts. I hope it thrives and survives since it's only a 15 minute drive for me. :)

They went to one signer several months ago. Obviously it is very tough (and alot of work) to get 2 signers every single month (other than the month or two they take off). I've always liked the Redford show and appreciate them getting these guys to come back at what are always reasonable prices. They don't play the inscription game and you generally don't have to wait forever because they aren't bringing in huge huge current day stars. Having said this, alot of the guests continue to be recycled over the last couple of years. Because of this, there have been alot of months where I just haven't bothered. I bet I could look back particularly over the last 2 years and see almost the identical guest list. It would be nice to see them mix it up a bit more. I also liked it when they used to get some of the older hockey stars- Red Kelly, Pete Mahovolich, etc. They had also done some of the older Bruin and Canadien players from the past as well. For baseball, it would be good if they could get Howard Johnson- no one has had him around here in forever. Alot of us need him on our 84 stuff. I don't want to sound critical of the show, because it has been terrific over the years. But I think adding a few new names to the rolodex would really help.

As for Brighton, I haven't been out to this show yet. I hope it takes off, because there just aren't that many alternatives to DC sports out there. DC, while great at bringing in players, tends to operate on a national level as far as pricing. They don't tend to mess with alot of the less well known players from the past, which is why smaller shows are needed to fill in that gap for collectors.

I took a look at the VFW's last several years of signers. (Call me crazy, but I keep detail on all the local shows, particularly in case I forget where I got a particular item in my collection).

The Athlete Connection is the promoter at the VFW shows. Of their last 5-6 years of shows (over 100 signers), over 60% of their signers have come from either the 1984 or 1968 Tiger teams. That's great, but at some point you do reach a saturation point with those guys. And 60% seems like a saturation point. More importantly, in many cases, they bring the same guys in again about 2 years apart- most only 2 times over the last 5-6 years, but several signers have been in 3 times in that time period. That is why it seems like it's always the same guys-because it is. Frankly, it makes me wonder how they can make money doing that. It's probably also one of the reasons they slowed it down to 1 signer per show, because then you don't have these guys repeating so frequently. Keep in mind that they do promote at other locations (not just VFW), but over 75% of their shows have been promoted in Redford at the VFW.

Again, this isn't a slam on the show- I really do like it and enjoy going. It is just more of a plea for a little more variety. How about players from other teams (not just the tigers)? How about some hockey? Well over 90% of their signers are baseball related.

Edited by stanpapi

Get in line now!

Hi. I wanted to let you know that on May 11th from 6pm-7:30pm in the D Shop, JD Martinez will be conducting his first public autograph signing in Detroit. Tickets will be available that day. Most importantly, unlike all other public signings, your item will be AUTHENTICATED by Major League Baseball. That's right, a MLB Authenticator will be present to affix a hologram to your item.

Pricing is as follows:

Baseballs and flats-$50

Premiums: All other items-$75

Picked up a flyer for the next Redford Show on June 7th. 1984 Tiger Carl Willis from 11AM-1PM cards $7 , $10 all other items.

Anybody pick up the flyer for the next Taylor town show? I couldn't make it yesterday.

Anybody pick up the flyer for the next Taylor town show? I couldn't make it yesterday.

Robert Fick $20 Any Item/$15 Trading Card/$10 Inscriptions (I'm guessing alot of "Last HR/Grand Slam" type Inscriptions are expected)

Frank Tanana $10 Any Item/$7 Trading Card

http://i.imgur.com/hPfJdZM.jpg

Robert Fick $20 Any Item/$15 Trading Card/$10 Inscriptions (I'm guessing alot of "Last HR/Grand Slam" type Inscriptions are expected)

Frank Tanana $10 Any Item/$7 Trading Card

http://i.imgur.com/hPfJdZM.jpg

Thanks. Fick is an interesting one. I don't recall seeing him around here for a long time...like early 2000s. I suspect he will draw pretty well.

Picked up a flyer for the next Redford Show on June 7th. 1984 Tiger Carl Willis from 11AM-1PM cards $7 , $10 all other items.

Just when you think there can't be another 84 tiger....we find one (well, half of one).

Still lobbying hard for Howard Johnson, Chet Lemon or Rusty Kuntz. Kuntz comes into town several times a year with the Royals. You would think someone could get him to do a show. Howard Johnson is the hitting coach with the mariners...same thing.

I wasn't there today, but I understand that Victor Martinez cancelled on DC sports 15 minutes before he was supposed to start signing today at 11am, saying he was "sick". I think he did this to them once before too.

Just heard that Carl Willis cancelled for the June 7th Redford show. John Wockenfuss will be signing that day instead from 11AM to 1 PM. $10 any item $7 dollars a card.

Just heard that Carl Willis cancelled for the June 7th Redford show. John Wockenfuss will be signing that day instead from 11AM to 1 PM. $10 any item $7 dollars a card.

Actually, Carl Willis was hired by the Boston Red Sox as their new pitching coach on May 9th.

Interesting. Actually Johnny hasn't been around in a long time, so this is a good replacement. I was always bummed that he wasn't able to be on the 84 team- he was a good role player for the tigers for many years.

Did the Brighton show today with Mike Hart. If they keep at it this will be a good show. They are still working the kinks out but hopefully it continues as another alternative to what we have around town. It is more of a card show than memorabilia, but I would say it is already at least as big as the Redford show in terms of number of dealers/tables, if not bigger.

Picked up the flyer at the Redford Show today. They take July off but will be back with their next show on Sunday, August 16th with 3 signers, all former tigers. Each of the three below are $5 for any item, $3 for cards:

Tom Timmermann-11-1

Gary Taylor- 11-12:30

Bill Zepp- 11:30-1

Also found the flyer for the next show at Taylortown trade center. The show is July 3, 4 and 5. The only signer listed is Ike Blessitt- 2 free autographs; each additional autograph is $3. Not sure if they will book anyone else- kind of surprised to see them doing it on a holiday weekend.