mbrieve

Upcoming signings

I saw that too. Coincidentally, it's the same weekend Kirk will be in town at DC Sports. Seems ripe for DC Sports to get them both, and it sure sure sounds like something they would try to pull off. My guess is that they're trying, but who knows if they can make it work. If they can't, I don't see anyone else in town who will. Trammell is elusive. Bigfoot may have done more signings in town than he has over the years....

Edited by stanpapi

Has anyone heard of any Red Wings signings with Alumni Game coming to town? Seems like an opportune time to get some players that don't live in the area.

Trammell is a great guy-- it's his agent who makes things difficult.

But Tram hired him, and can fire him or at least overrule him when he wants to.

You often see the agent act at the "bad guy" or the "enforcer" because the player does not want to deal with certain issues, like demanding autograph seekers or having to say "no" in certain situations. Ernie Harwell had his agent fulfill the same role. This way the player keeps his "nice guy" image intact and lets the agent do the dirty work.

But Tram hired him, and can fire him or at least overrule him when he wants to.

You often see the agent act at the "bad guy" or the "enforcer" because the player does not want to deal with certain issues, like demanding autograph seekers or having to say "no" in certain situations. Ernie Harwell had his agent fulfill the same role. This way the player keeps his "nice guy" image intact and lets the agent do the dirty work.

It's the same agent as Harwell.

Lance Parrish December 7th at Gameday Detroit Lakeside Mall 12:00-- $25.00 per, $10.00 inscription. I can get Gibson & Parrish in one spot. Good move by Gameday.

It's the same agent as Harwell.

Regardless of who the agent is (Gary Spicer or anyone else), the agent is doing exactly what his boss wants him to do, including playing the "bad guy" sometimes. Else he does not have a job. I have seen Ernie not say "no" to some extravagant demands, but then Spicer stepped in and did his job, oftentimes setting the ground rules. Ernie said nothing.

The flyer hasn't been added to the Redford VFW site:

VFW POST 345

The date appears to be December 15. You could e-mail Mark Dehem if you need more, immediate information...

What is better to use on wood bats Sharpies or Paint Pens?

Blonde = blue sharpie

Black/Dark = paint pen

I have 5 bats, all signed in the last 5 years. They are all blonde big stick models, not game used. All done in regular blue sharpie. All look great. Now, black bats look awesome with silver or gold paint pen. I'm just not completely convinced as to how those wear over time. The example I would use would be the Cabrera model bats that are black or the dark red ones that are done in silver or gold. Look awesome signed, I'd just be afraid that over time, it would rub off. I've had some photos where the paint has chipped.

NICK LIDSTROM and TOMAS HOLMSTROM

Dec 28, 2013 GTC Macomb. Price TBA. Only public signing anytime soon.

Does anyone have any information on the Dave Bergman signing? I have one of his game jerseys that I would like to get signed.

Found this in my pants pocket today.

2013-11-15_19-20-56_546_zps2fe0dd00.jpg

Found this in my pants pocket today.

2013-11-15_19-20-56_546_zps2fe0dd00.jpg

Funny. Half the time I walk out of there wondering where I put the flyer and find it under the seat of my car 2 months later....

I don't understand the insane prices for Cabrera GU items? Most people getting GU stuff signed are keeping it for themselves. Other items, which are cheaper, could be signed and resold possibly for more. You'd think they'd flip flop the prices.

I think there is some debate about whether game used should be signed at all. Depending on the significance of the piece, there is a school of thought that they may be best left unsigned.

I personally don't mind the price for Cabrera, although I continue to think the inscription prices are a bit insane.

I think there is some debate about whether game used should be signed at all. Depending on the significance of the piece, there is a school of thought that they may be best left unsigned.

I personally don't mind the price for Cabrera, although I continue to think the inscription prices are a bit insane.

When his bats sell for $1k plus and jerseys sell for $5k plus, I understand why they are charging more to get these items signed. First, I think the idea is that the signature adds significant value to the piece. Second, if you can afford the piece in the first place, you can probably pull together the scratch to get it signed.

My personal take on getting game used items signed:

Bats - yes

Jerseys - no

Helmets - I could go either way

I like the idea of game used items being left the way they came off the field. My biggest reason for saying "no" to jerseys is the fact that getting a well-executed signature on a jersey isn't always easy. I also worry about fading and long-term eye appeal of the signature. To each their own, but I know there are plenty of people who will pass on jerseys that are signed.

When his bats sell for $1k plus and jerseys sell for $5k plus, I understand why they are charging more to get these items signed. First, I think the idea is that the signature adds significant value to the piece. Second, if you can afford the piece in the first place, you can probably pull together the scratch to get it signed.

My personal take on getting game used items signed:

Bats - yes

Jerseys - no

Helmets - I could go either way

I like the idea of game used items being left the way they came off the field. My biggest reason for saying "no" to jerseys is the fact that getting a well-executed signature on a jersey isn't always easy. I also worry about fading and long-term eye appeal of the signature. To each their own, but I know there are plenty of people who will pass on jerseys that are signed.

I think this is a reasonable position. The only thing about bats is, I'm not sure how well the paint markers hold up on them over time. I've only ever done blue sharpies. They've been fine, but I don't have any more than 5 years old (and none game used). So I'd be real leery about getting a dark bat like Cabby's game used signed in paint. On the jersey thing- I agree. I have known several collectors who have acquired game used jerseys of some pretty substantial players (HOFers). All of them have left them as is. All were afraid to mess up the jersey.

Lidstrom at GTC is 50/55/60

Homer 25/30

Darren McCarty added. $20 any

gleng2, I'm assuming based on your posts that you're affiliated with Motorcity. If so, do you know if the Kid rock picture will be available at the homer signing? If I make it out, I might have an interest in getting that one for someone I know.

You are correct. And yes the photo will be available. If you can't make it lmk. I can get it done for you.

I posted this elsewhere, but in case you did not see it, here it is. It is not just an autograph event, but autographs will be available:

THE TIGERS "SHOWDOWN IN MOTOWN

Which World Championship Tiger team, the '68 Tigers managed by Mayo Smith, or the '84 Tigers under Sparky, was the better team? It's a question that's been debated for almost 30 years.

The only way to answer that question is to get the players together from both those teams. That's exactly what's being planned in Detroit. Here are the details:

WHAT: THE TIGERS SHOWDOWN IN MOTOWN! A great evening of dining, storytelling, memorabilia, autographs, entertainment, raffles, and auction items, with stars of two Tigers World Series Championship teams.

WHO: It's the '68 Tigers, led by HOFer Al Kaline, 31 game winner Denny McLain, Slugger Willie Horton, and (just added) Super Sub Tom Matchick, and Reliever Jon Warden VS. the '84 Tigers, led by Sluggers Darrell Evans and Lance Parrish, and Starting Pitchers Dan Petry and Dave Rozema. Other names may be added in the future. It's an All-Star cast unlike anything you've seen in years! Author Eli Zaret will MC the debate and the storytelling (and maybe a few lies). You'll hear wild tales you never heard before!

When: This never-to-be-forgotten event will be held on Wednesday, December 4. The "Meet and Greet" with Cash Bar will begin at 6PM, followed by dinner, an incredible auction, the great debate and storytelling. Other entertainment will also be available.

Where: MGM Grand Hotel, located at 1777 Third St. in Detroit, a couple of Cabrera home runs east of old Tiger Stadium where these teams made history. The event will be at the Ignite Nightclub inside the MGM.

Why: To honor our heroes and to relive those great moments from the past. All profits support our injured military heroes and their families, as well as the USA Military All-Star Baseball Team.

Cost: Individual Tickets Cost $150 per person, and include one autograph per Tiger, subject to availability. Depending on demand, additional autographs may be available for a donation; all autograph proceeds are for our military heroes. Cost also includes delicious gourmet Hor D'oeuvres at the MGM. Group tickets and sponsorships are also available; see the attached for details.

No guarantees, but we expect other celebrities also to appear at the event.

To buy a ticket, or if you have any questions, you can call Dave Lubbers at 616-534-3033 (home) or 616-540-2020 (cell). You can pay via cash, check, or credit card.

It will be an incredible night that you will never forget!