mbrieve

Upcoming signings

I was at the Redford show yesterday too. I asked John Hiller who he got his first major league hit off of and he replied "Ffritz Peterson - a double". Wayne Comer, sitting close by chimed in, "You sure it wasn't Mike Kekich?". For those too young, do a gogle search on these two pitchers. By the way, Wayne was 1 for 1 in the 1968 Word Series - he got a single off of Joe Hoener of the Cards.

As indicated by Bobbybrisse above, the next show is not until November 3rd with Denny McLain. I asked why there'd be no October Show and was told they couldn't work out a date with the VFW. I also asked if there could be more signers then McLain and was told, "Doubtful, but you never know. We've contacted a lot of players".

Do you know pricing and time on McLain? I wasn't able to attend yesterday....3rd miss in a row.

Do you know pricing and time on McLain? I wasn't able to attend yesterday....3rd miss in a row.

Bobby had posted this earlier........

Sunday, November 3

1968 Detroit Tiger Denny McLain

11:00 am to 1:00 pm

$15

Bobby's Autographs

Just to add on the Redford November show - $15 autographs and $5 inscriptions.

Getting Denny to not include his 31-6 inscription might cost $5.

Been meaning to post that the Al Kaline signing at Serra Buick last Saturday was not nearly as crowded as past years. Was able to go through line 3 times.

Been meaning to post that the Al Kaline signing at Serra Buick last Saturday was not nearly as crowded as past years. Was able to go through line 3 times.

They said 1 autograph per person..... what did you not understand? Don't be greedy at free signings! Kaline has just recently just done 2 "free to the public" signings and people like you will make him go back to charging for each autograph he gives.

Edited by KCFITZ78

They said 1 autograph per person..... what did you not understand? Don't be greedy at free signings! Kaline has just recently just done 2 "free to the public" signings and people like you will make him go back to charging for each autograph he gives.

Are you serious? At first I thought you were joking just to bust his chops.

You do understand that Kaline isn't doing these for free, he is being paid. The companies that bring the players in are footing the bill. He's paid to sign autographs for a certain amount of time by the sponsor, regardless of how many people show up. Again he IS NOT doing this for free. He's not gonna care if he signs 1 autograph for 200 different people or 200 autographs for 1 person, he's still getting paid. Somebody going through the line multiple times isn't going to change him from doing a "free" signing when a company foots the bill. SMH

Francis?! 1 autograph per person = 1 at a time. Go through line as many times as you can!!

Are you serious? At first I thought you were joking just to bust his chops.

You do understand that Kaline isn't doing these for free, he is being paid. The companies that bring the players in are footing the bill. He's paid to sign autographs for a certain amount of time by the sponsor, regardless of how many people show up. Again he IS NOT doing this for free. He's not gonna care if he signs 1 autograph for 200 different people or 200 autographs for 1 person, he's still getting paid. Somebody going through the line multiple times isn't going to change him from doing a "free" signing when a company foots the bill. SMH

I stated "free to the Public" meaning John Doe does not pay per autograph. Of course Kaline gets paid by the dealership in this case, but it is still "free to the public". The signing was limited as to what was signed.... NO BATS, NO JERSEYS, AND 1 AUTOGRAPH PER PERSON. Kaline does care as Kaline or his agent specified NO BATS, NO JERSEYS, AND 1 AUTOGRAPH PER PERSON… because he is making an appearance and he still wants to make more and more profitable appearances the rest of his life. If John Doe comes and gets 5 bats signed, and so does everyone else, then no one will pay his asking price to get a bat signed at “pay per autograph signings”. People were asking “will he sign more than one item” and the dealership workers answered “one person and please do not get back in line so that everyone that comes out can have an autograph”.

I went to a “free to the Public” autograph signing at Meijer last year for Willie Hernandez. I showed up 1 hour into the signing and heard people talking that this has been there 5th time through the line. The line at this time was 50 people long and I told these people that I was cutting in front of them seeing as they already got his autograph and that I have not. Bold? Yes it was bold of me but they did not argue as I also said that I am not the only person in line behind them that has not got an autograph. They kindly stepped out of line.

My whole point is rules are rules and when people don’t follow rules and don’t respect wishes of others than everyone pays for greedy peoples actions. This is true in all facets of life. I am not going to post anymore on this topic as I voiced my point and I am not looking to argue with anyone. I agree to disagree.

This is generally why I avoid free signings. I'm there to get one, maybe two items (max) of a particular player. I find that free signings are abused by the guy that always comes in with 20 items. As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather pay DC, Fanatic U, Motor City or any number of other promoters to get an autograph than stand in line for a free signing. I just like to know that I can go, pay, get it done and get out. My time is more valuable to me than fighting people who want to abuse things. Having said that, I got back in line once at a free signing....I basically turned around and got behind the 7th guy of 7 in line. Sometimes its not a big deal. When there's 100 people? Nope.

I'll add one thing about the Kaline signing- I'm not certain he's paid. I think I read that he's a personal friend of the owner. Having said that, maybe he's just set up with a vehicle lease or something in lieu of cash. Who knows. I've never gone because it feels like I'm driving to Flint...that's quite a hike from metro detroit.

I went to a “free to the Public” autograph signing at Meijer last year for Willie Hernandez. I showed up 1 hour into the signing and heard people talking that this has been there 5th time through the line. The line at this time was 50 people long and I told these people that I was cutting in front of them seeing as they already got his autograph and that I have not. Bold? Yes it was bold of me but they did not argue as I also said that I am not the only person in line behind them that has not got an autograph. They kindly stepped out of line.

My whole point is rules are rules and when people don’t follow rules and don’t respect wishes of others than everyone pays for greedy peoples actions. This is true in all facets of life. I am not going to post anymore on this topic as I voiced my point and I am not looking to argue with anyone. I agree to disagree.

Agh, you're "that guy". The one that shows up late for an autograph and then complains because those that show up early got multiples. :)

As was stated by someone else earlier, one per person has nearly always meant each time through the line. If they didn't want people to get back in line then they wouldn't allow it and the nearly always do allow it. Do you really expect them to have a guy set there doing nothing while they wait for people to possibly show up when people there could get an extra? I have no problem with you asking to go up front because you hadn't gotten one, but to bash others for getting multiples just because they could is pretty silly. Getting multiples hurts absolutely nobody in the situations you've listed, except for the person that shows up an hour late and you were still able to get what you wanted. I just don't get it. You're morally against breaking any "rule", that's fine. But if the store/promoter doesn't care and the athlete doesn't care, why do you? Especially when, from everything I've heard about both signings you referenced, nobody went without getting a graph. I get it if people were getting multiples the first time through, but that wasn't the case. Not arguing, just curious.

Not sure how to respond. First, one of the employees came out and announced prior to the signing started that we could go through the line a second time. He just asked that we let anyone who had not been through line be allowed to go first, which was done. When I went through the 3rd time I was in front of 5 people who had all been through line multiple times. If I have caused offense I apologize.

Having said that, I got back in line once at a free signing....I basically turned around and got behind the 7th guy of 7 in line. Sometimes its not a big deal. When there's 100 people? Nope.

But if some guy wants to get back in line to be #101, do you see a problem with that? . Even if a guy has 20 items and he gets back in line 20 times, it's not like he's cutting anyone, except the person that "might" show up. Just curious on everyone's take. I don't do a lot of these now that I'm in Florida, but I thought it was always pretty common practice for most to get back in line if time permitted at these freebies from what I remember. Nobody usually cared because the guy would be twiddling his thumbs if people didn't go back for more.

Congrats! How was his signature? He's gotten so sloppy through the mail and in person. Would have been a nice chance to get a decent one.

Most points I could make have already been made, but here is my .02:

1. Al Kaline was paid for this signing. Whether it was cash, a lease, etc.; he got paid. I'm sure part of the contract stated that he would only sign certain items based on what the dealership paid for his appearance (certainly to keep his value at "pay" signings high). When Miguel Cabrera was "signing for free" at a Spartan Store a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't out of the goodness of his heart, again, paid.

2. One per person is almost always universally known as one per time through the line. I applaud the boldness of kcfitz78 and I'm sure most of the collectors/dealers had little problem letting you jump to the front.

3. I agree on the "free signings" being more of a hassle then they are worth. Honestly, if they set the price at $1, you would probably weed out half of the people who show up for anything that is "free". I heard that Willie Horton pretty much refused to do any more "free" signings as the crowds could get a little nuts and sort of greedy.

4. This hobby is supposed to be fun. I feel most of the people are on here to help each other out. If you see an upcoming signing, you share it. If you have an IP tip you share it. Can't we all just get along :)

But if some guy wants to get back in line to be #101, do you see a problem with that? . Even if a guy has 20 items and he gets back in line 20 times, it's not like he's cutting anyone, except the person that "might" show up. Just curious on everyone's take. I don't do a lot of these now that I'm in Florida, but I thought it was always pretty common practice for most to get back in line if time permitted at these freebies from what I remember. Nobody usually cared because the guy would be twiddling his thumbs if people didn't go back for more.

100%, that is the protocol. You see the same thing at the Tiger Fridays at Whitecaps games. I've never been willing to get back in line, but if there is time, management has no problem with it.

Most points I could make have already been made, but here is my .02:

1. Al Kaline was paid for this signing. Whether it was cash, a lease, etc.; he got paid. I'm sure part of the contract stated that he would only sign certain items based on what the dealership paid for his appearance (certainly to keep his value at "pay" signings high). When Miguel Cabrera was "signing for free" at a Spartan Store a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't out of the goodness of his heart, again, paid.

2. One per person is almost always universally known as one per time through the line. I applaud the boldness of kcfitz78 and I'm sure most of the collectors/dealers had little problem letting you jump to the front.

3. I agree on the "free signings" being more of a hassle then they are worth. Honestly, if they set the price at $1, you would probably weed out half of the people who show up for anything that is "free". I heard that Willie Horton pretty much refused to do any more "free" signings as the crowds could get a little nuts and sort of greedy.

4. This hobby is supposed to be fun. I feel most of the people are on here to help each other out. If you see an upcoming signing, you share it. If you have an IP tip you share it. Can't we all just get along :)

Point number 4 is the most important one. I feel like we all pretty much know about the DC, Gibraltar and other promoter based signings. I enjoy when I hear about something that I had no clue about. Like the grand opening of a bank branch, a store, a festival, etc. Of course, I do like it when I go to obscure signings (free or paid) and there is barely anyone there. It's certainly more convenient, for sure. But I still would rather share what I know with the board, because I would hope that everyone here would do the same.

To bad I saw this day before. I am glad I was at least able to post the info for the Kaline signing on here. Really would have liked to go and get my Tiger Stadium Seatback signed, but would have had to take off work. Sounds like it was a great free signing. Congrats to those of you who attended.

I looked back for my post announcement of the Serra Buick / Kaline free signing but it is not there. I see my post for the Ollies / Kaline free signing and my post to follow up the day after (quoted) above. I swore I posted the Serra / Kaline signing here sometime after the 8/13/13 post. I am sorry if my post did not go through or I that I forgot to post on this forum site, as I post on two other forums. I always post announcements for the free signings like Ollies, Meijers, Menards, Krogers, Giant Eagle, Fifth Third Fied (very rare)......

Edited by KCFITZ78

I looked back for my post announcement of the Serra Buick / Kaline free signing but it is not there. I see my post for the Ollies / Kaline free signing and my post to follow up the day after (quoted) above. I swore I posted the Serra / Kaline signing here sometime after the 8/13/13 post. I am sorry if my post did not go through or I that I forgot to post on this forum site, as I post on two other forums. I always post announcements for the free signings like Ollies, Meijers, Menards, Krogers, Giant Eagle, Fifth Third Fied (very rare)......

I agree. I would have liked to know of the Serra signing but couldn't find any information.

I agree. I would have liked to know of the Serra signing but couldn't find any information.

Just so that everyone is aware this is a signing that Al Kaline does every year. A person in line said something about this being the 8th or 18th annual event with Al Kaline and this dealership.

Al does this every year. You just have to watch Serra's facebook page. Sometimes its been later in the summer like this year, but many times it's been in July I believe. It's been going on for quite awhile as has been noted.