mbrieve

Upcoming signings

The deal with Anibal at MCSG was done at xxx amount for xxx time not necessarily per piece. DC is going to need to crank out alot of signatures to make their money back. It worked out to way more than $5 per based on cost.

Edited by gleng2

The deal with Anibal at MCSG was done at xxx amount for xxx time not necessarily per piece. DC is going to need to crank out alot of signatures to make their money back. It worked out to way more than $5 per based on cost.

Not sure how the numbers worked out, but they are planning on Fielder signing 300 in an hour. Should be easy for Prince since he just writes initials, but Anibal has a pretty decent sig, so I would think it would be considerably less.

The DC signings with the exclusives kind of remind me of what Steiner sports did with their signings. The exclusive contracts and high prices, it's kind of killed the hobby for me. I do like the guys at DC. I buy very few of the new players and mainly only try to complete some of the things I started. I started around 1980 seriously collecting. Autographs didn't cost me a weeks pay to get few items signed, but I know my salary hasn't increased at the rate autographs have.

BK

Ok...I feel I need to bring this discussion back to reality...Given the recent discussion about DC and MCSG, I get the feeling that in general, many of the folks on this board simply do not appreciate what "market prices" are today- either here or anywhere else in the country. You have to understand that before you make the decision to rip into DC, and I simply think that most people either aren't educated on the market in general or just like to complain.

Let me say a few things about DC before going further- I've been accused of defending them in the past. I will make my opinion clear- I appreciate that they stayed around during the economic downturn when many other shops just stopped or got out completely. I've had many discussions with Steve and I think he's done alot for all our collections and has always treated me extremely well. Their service is top notch and dropped items are cared for and handled well, which I really appreciate. You can count on them being around- they've been here 25 years. There is never a question of authenticity, which is key when you aren't there in person. So I have a great deal of respect for DC.

Having said all this...I agree DC's prices are high. But people just have to do some homework before ripping Steve and DC. The market in general (all around the country) has moved higher than what we used to know it to be. That is a flat out reality. If DC wasn't out there serving this space locally at these prices, somebody else would. Frankly, unless you want to chase free signings and waste 4 hours of your time waiting for wristband in the rain, only to walk away with a kind of ugly photo placard, you're going to pay. And it's getting pretty rare to see $10-$15 signings anymore at all, which I feel like alot of us on this board are still expecting (not me). You just aren't seeing much under $25-$35 (for flats), even for your everyday, run of the mill ball players, anywhere around the country. Now, I could certainly point out the insanity of paying $59 for Sanchez against say, $70 for Pete Rose (or your equivalent old timer who is actually in the HOF). I've simply adjusted my collecting focus. I don't chase every current player. I paid relatively big bucks for Cabrera because I feel he will be one of the all time greats. But beyond that, I don't chase them. Frankly, I'd much rather pay bigger dollars for Johnny Bench, or Bob Gibson or somebody who actually has a HOF pedigree (and who's signature you can actually READ), vs....Anibal Sanchez. To each his own...but we simply have to acknowledge the realities of the market before just ganging up on DC. To demonstrate this, here is just a small sampling of recent prices for fairly middle of the road to decent (current) players around the country:

Tampa-Will Myers, (nice start, but hasn't exactly had a lengthy career yet). The price? $49 (florida signing)

Brandon Crawford- SF Giants. Starting price? $59.99 (California signing)

Aaron Hill and Martin Prado - prices? $30 each. (Arizona signing)

Manny Machado- ..$79. (Baltimore signing)

Jordan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond (Wash Capitals): $40 each (Wash DC signing)

Corky Miller (nobody catcher for the Reds): $25- Ohio signing

I would submit that many of our current tigers, other than maybe Prince, JV, Max, Austin and Miggy, are all sort of in the category of the sampling of the players above. Decent ballplayers-good players, but not necessarily future hall of famers or even stars. And this is the base line price level-$25-$35 and up. Keep in mind, the prices for the players above are all FLAT prices. They generally go up from there for premium items. So I think everyone needs to acknowledge that this might have been a relatively inexpensive hobby in the past, but it no longer is- in Detroit or anywhere else in the country. If you want to be in this game, you need cash, and you need to understand current players are hot and will generally command a premium. But more importantly, you need a collecting focus, or you'll simply go broke.

Incidentally, for those that want to jump on DC for the Miggy prices- Mike Trout is currently $169 on the coast and he's had a short year career compared to Cabrera at $175. I don't find that offensive. It's expensive, no doubt. But if it's too expensive for your budget, you just acknowledge you can't do it. But it's senseless to complain, because that's simply what the market is for that caliber player.

Edited by stanpapi

Well we can agree to disagree. But as far as Cabrera goes, I don't really care he at least holds his value. But when you start charging $59 for Sanchez and I think $39 for Fister, come one... I know most guys won't sign for less than $5,000 thus the $20 cost per. You can still charge a decent rate and make a 50% profit.

Now I don't know exactly for Fielder but he is probably getting $100 each. At a Average of $150 each. They are still making 15gs.

If that is the case then MCSG had no right to complain when they got cut out by offering a low ball price to Sanchez. Great Job DC snagging the deal, overpaying and raising the prices. They have no problem cranking out the signatures-- seen them in action many times.

What a joke!!!!!!!

Too many DC employees on this site.

And FYI Omar and Anibal have te same agent. The deal was a "how much you want" conversation. The number wasn't even countered by MCSG. After that deal was done the price was jacked up.

^^^^Stan, I have no problem with your post. I actually agree with most of it. Miguel Cabrera was tempting at $175, but I ultimately didn't pull the trigger. With Prince, the decision was rather simple, it is ridiculously overpriced compared to what the market bears. Just look at what Miggy PSA/DNA baseballs bring on eBay and then see what Fielder PSA/DNA baseballs bring.

Now, I get it, part of the price is meeting the player, shaking his hand, and seeing your ball signed before your eyes. If my son was a little older, I would probably drop the money to bring him to meet Prince (his favorite player). But at three, he would rather meet Curious George, Paws or Mickey Mouse. Again, I'm not out of the hobby, but I know where my dollar goes further. Same applies to buying game used directly from Detroit Tigers Authentics...most of the stuff is like a used car, drive it off the lot and you already lost 20%. The best value is buying stuff from former or retired players.

Bottom line is: collect what you love and love what you collect. Also, you get what you pay for. No hate for DC Sports from me, but I'm going to have to skip some of the higher priced signings (kids are expensive!).

^^^^Stan, I have no problem with your post. I actually agree with most of it. Miguel Cabrera was tempting at $175, but I ultimately didn't pull the trigger. With Prince, the decision was rather simple, it is ridiculously overpriced compared to what the market bears. Just look at what Miggy PSA/DNA baseballs bring on eBay and then see what Fielder PSA/DNA baseballs bring.

Bottom line is: collect what you love and love what you collect. Also, you get what you pay for. No hate for DC Sports from me, but I'm going to have to skip some of the higher priced signings (kids are expensive!).

Well said! This was my thought as well. I'm a bit bummed that I couldn't swing the Miggy signing, but a majority of the others are well above market price. Even Anibal balls with a Steiner COA and inscription are going for $50 (would cost $100 at DC). I'm not really a DC hater, I've purchased some big items from them in the past, but it is a bit disappointing that they have cornered the market and eliminated the competition. It's good for them, but not really good for the consumer.

Now, I get it, part of the price is meeting the player, shaking his hand, and seeing your ball signed before your eyes. If my son was a little older, I would probably drop the money to bring him to meet Prince (his favorite player). But at three, he would rather meet Curious George, Paws or Mickey Mouse. Again, I'm not out of the hobby, but I know where my dollar goes further. Same applies to buying game used directly from Detroit Tigers Authentics...most of the stuff is like a used car, drive it off the lot and you already lost 20%. The best value is buying stuff from former or retired players.

Kids are expensive. And in addition to being expensive, when they are young, they typically don't want daddy gone all day on a weekend waiting around for a stupid autograph (that's kind of what I've found, anyway). Which kind of puts it in perspective- I've missed plenty of signings to be a dad, and I'm ok with that.

I do want to state again- I'm not a blind DC Sports supporter. I appreciate that they get things done right for me the few times I've used them for drop offs. Nobody that works there has ever treated me poorly, which is hard to do if you're in a service or retail business. However, I absolutely want there to be other promoters in town. It keeps things fresh- DC leans too much on the same old rolodex of names and has a hard time getting creative with different signers sometimes. They've started to mix it up a bit more, but they need to do a better job with making sure there isn't too much repetition in their signers. I'm definitely all for having other players in the market keeping prices reasonable. But DC has just done a really good job at getting players and keeping them coming back. So it makes it hard for the competition to do much other than poke around at the fringes. And it's not so great for the collector, because one main player in the market does nothing but drive up prices.

I do want to say, my post wasn't intended to be mean-spirited. I just wanted to demonstrate that this price level is nothing new and not exclusive to Detroit. You don't have to look too hard to see people all over the country charging high prices for players like an anibal sanchez. It's unfortunate for the collector, but that just means you have to pick your spots and decide what is really important to collect.

I saw this from the Goalies Den.

Scotty Bowman Autograph Event

Date: Sunday, December 29, 2013

Time: 2 to 4 p.m.

500 Thomas Edison Pkwy

Port Huron, MI 48060

Price: $25 per Autograph

$10 per Inscription

There will only be 200 tickets available for people who want to attend this event, visit our Scotty Bowman Event (Pre-Order) page to order your tickets now!

Because of the limited number of tickets available, no refunds will be available after you pre-order them. If you are unsure if you can make it to the signing, mail us your items or purchase some of our great items, and we will get them signed for you!

I saw this from the Goalies Den.

Scotty Bowman Autograph Event

Date: Sunday, December 29, 2013

Time: 2 to 4 p.m.

500 Thomas Edison Pkwy

Port Huron, MI 48060

Price: $25 per Autograph

$10 per Inscription

There will only be 200 tickets available for people who want to attend this event, visit our Scotty Bowman Event (Pre-Order) page to order your tickets now!

Because of the limited number of tickets available, no refunds will be available after you pre-order them. If you are unsure if you can make it to the signing, mail us your items or purchase some of our great items, and we will get them signed for you!

Just saw this on their website too- you beat me to it. Kind of a strange location for it- a hotel in Port Huron?? Not many are going to run all the way to Port Huron for Scotty. It wouldn't shock me if someone else got him sometime that week in the Detroit area, too. My guess is that the goalies den folks will have scotty and gordie here and there and that will be about the extent of their signing activity. Scotty was always a favorite of Randy's before he passed away and they had Gordie 2 or 3 times a year. But I can't see them having much success if they don't do their signings a bit closer to the metro area. Still unfortunate that they closed their doors without telling their customers - I"m sure they could have sold out some merchandise if they had published their closing date. I had heard they were going out in June, but when they didn't I figured that maybe they decided to keep going. Too bad.

For those of you who want to venture down I-75 out of Metro Detroit, here is a show that might suit you.

index

Ken Griffey Sr., Tony Perez and Cesar Geronimo are the first three announced.

From what I have seen in the past, prices are fairly reasonable.

Just saw this on their website too- you beat me to it. Kind of a strange location for it- a hotel in Port Huron?? Not many are going to run all the way to Port Huron for Scotty. It wouldn't shock me if someone else got him sometime that week in the Detroit area, too. My guess is that the goalies den folks will have scotty and gordie here and there and that will be about the extent of their signing activity. Scotty was always a favorite of Randy's before he passed away and they had Gordie 2 or 3 times a year. But I can't see them having much success if they don't do their signings a bit closer to the metro area. Still unfortunate that they closed their doors without telling their customers - I"m sure they could have sold out some merchandise if they had published their closing date. I had heard they were going out in June, but when they didn't I figured that maybe they decided to keep going. Too bad.

Being a local of this area, I see where this would be a good business decision on their part. First of all they no longer have a store location (the website says they are a solely online store now), so I'm assuming they have a couple employees in the area to cover the event. Also Port Huron is a big hockey town (not to be confused with Hockeytown) and I see the turnout being good on this one. Not to mention using this particular venue will be interesting as it recently re-opened after undergoing renovations and an ownership change. Plus the local DC Sports (Lakeside location) only have about an hour drive to go to this, and Port Huron do it all the time so its a nice change. If this isn't a sellout, assuming good marketing is done, then I expect at least 150 tickets to be sold.

Any word on who will be at next Redford show?

Sunday, November 3

1968 Detroit Tiger Denny McLain

11:00 am to 1:00 pm

$15

Bobby's Autographs

Saw John Hiller at the Redford show today he looked great, I asked how he's been feeling and he said "fantastic". Glad to hear, he has always been one of my favorites and has had to deal with a few health issues. Picked up a great photo of him from Mark- he had from the negative the original 1968 Topps card image in a 8x10 photo.

Also heard that Gates Brown is not doing very well.

Is anyone going to the Avisail Garcia signing in Chicago at Dean's Dugout on September 30th? They aren't accepting mail order :disappnt: and I need him on the new Ginter card...

Is anyone going to the Avisail Garcia signing in Chicago at Dean's Dugout on September 30th? They aren't accepting mail order :disappnt: and I need him on the new Ginter card...

According to this, it looks like they will take some mail in items....

Avisail Garcia And Josh Phegley Coming To My Card Shop!!

Edited by Dirk Diggler

Saw John Hiller at the Redford show today he looked great, I asked how he's been feeling and he said "fantastic". Glad to hear, he has always been one of my favorites and has had to deal with a few health issues. Picked up a great photo of him from Mark- he had from the negative the original 1968 Topps card image in a 8x10 photo.

Also heard that Gates Brown is not doing very well.

I heard that about Gates awhile back as well- I think in the spring. Too bad- such a good guy. All the 68 guys are getting up there though.

My parents went to the Redford show today and John Hiller shared a neat story with my dad and mom. Shortly after receiving the 1968 World Series ring during the 1969 season, Hiller had his ring stolen. He was obviously pissed. Ended up getting his ring back over 20 years later as the guy who stole it from him, left it to him in his will when he died.

Hiller obviously knew who it was, but didn't disclose it to my folks. He was also really pleased he got it back. My parents said he looked like he was in really good shape for a man who is now 70 years old.

Real neat story.

I heard that about Gates awhile back as well- I think in the spring. Too bad- such a good guy. All the 68 guys are getting up there though.

Honestly, the last time I saw him (2-3 years ago), he seemed to be laboring a little bit. He still gave a beautiful signature...

I was at the Redford show yesterday too. I asked John Hiller who he got his first major league hit off of and he replied "Ffritz Peterson - a double". Wayne Comer, sitting close by chimed in, "You sure it wasn't Mike Kekich?". For those too young, do a gogle search on these two pitchers. By the way, Wayne was 1 for 1 in the 1968 Word Series - he got a single off of Joe Hoener of the Cards.

As indicated by Bobbybrisse above, the next show is not until November 3rd with Denny McLain. I asked why there'd be no October Show and was told they couldn't work out a date with the VFW. I also asked if there could be more signers then McLain and was told, "Doubtful, but you never know. We've contacted a lot of players".