mbrieve

Upcoming signings

Would love to see someone bring in Brendan Shanahan now that he's in the HOF.

You'll die waiting for that one. As far as I know, Shanny has signed one time in the last 15 years, at Aj's in Toronto. To my knowledge, he never did a public here in Detroit. The day I ever see him or Yzerman signing in public in this state is the day we've most certainly achieved world peace....both are just about that likely.

Of the more 'major' 84 guys, I need Rusty Kuntz, Bill Scherrer, Ruppert Jones and Howard Johnson. I somehow missed them all when they've come through over the years.

I'd also like to see Jones. It's be nice to see a Lemon signing again as well.

I just want to point out that all the 1984 Detroit Tigers have signed at some point in southeast Michigan over the past ten years, except for Rusty Kuntz. Bravo to the promoters and, also, some hope that the guys mentioned above may come through town again sometime soon.

That is true. Every living 84 tiger and coach has made there way here, which is great. I've had the pleasure of meeting the whole team other than the guys I listed. To a man, they've all been extremely nice people to talk to. We're lucky to have had that team in this town.

You'll die waiting for that one. As far as I know, Shanny has signed one time in the last 15 years, at Aj's in Toronto. To my knowledge, he never did a public here in Detroit. The day I ever see him or Yzerman signing in public in this state is the day we've most certainly achieved world peace....both are just about that likely.

Speaking of that, Aj's has Yzerman for a private signing.

Steve Yzerman - Signed hockey memorabilia, sports memorabilia and autographed collectibles | AJ Sports World

Ya I emailed AJs about a bulk discount. Was hoping for 25% off. They offered. 10% for 10 items.

For those prices, it would be nice if Scherzer's auto was at least remotely legible. Sadly, it is not.

For those prices, it would be nice if Scherzer's auto was at least remotely legible. Sadly, it is not.

Seems a bit high for a guy that has finally lived up to his potential this season. He hasn't won the Cy Young award yet...

Also, inscriptions are getting out of hand. I admit I was all about getting inscriptions a few years back, but unless it is a CY, MVP or WS inscription, they do nothing for me.

I agree, inscriptions are getting a bit nuts, particularly for the high end guys. $80 for Cabrera to write either 2012 triple crown OR 2012 MVP is a bit crazy. But I am sure the triple crown inscription will continue to be of interest, because let's be honest, it hasn't happened in 45 years. As far as other guys, yes, it is nuts to charge $20 for them to write HOF. If you look at the national shows, the going rate on inscriptions continues to increase. It's a shame, because you know this all got started because of that 'one guy' who had to have some athlete write a biography of his stats. I suspect at some point it will have a reverse affect, meaning the promoters will go so high with it that people just won't pay it anymore. But I thought that a long time ago, and if you look at the most recent national show pricing in Chicago, it continues to go up. Some inscription charges are now higher than I have ever paid for an actual autograph of someone, which is pretty pathetic.

I personally believe "HOF" and the year should be free for most signers. Mean Joe Greene has done HOF free forever, for instance. Anything different/outside the box, you should pay for. I will say that I've never abused inscriptions for any athlete. I try to be conscientious, even if I'm paying for an inscription. If I get one, I try to come up with something interesting, as opposed to the ones everyone has. For instance, I had a Michigan player write "Hail to the Victors" once instead of Go Blue. It looks awesome and it is just something different to make the piece unique.

I have a question about signing pens. I have noticed that cards are now being signed with another type of blue permanent marker other that Sharpie brand. Anyone know what the brand of pen is?

I have a question about signing pens. I have noticed that cards are now being signed with another type of blue permanent marker other that Sharpie brand. Anyone know what the brand of pen is?

Staedtler. I've also heard people use them on ROMLBs, but I think that is a terrible idea.

Staedtler. I've also heard people use them on ROMLBs, but I think that is a terrible idea.

Thank You!!! Now where do you buy these... I have tried Meijers, Hobby Lobby & Staples and I don't remember seeing these.

I've seen them a few times. They have a nice fine tip. Never used it but it looks good for autographs that are neat and detailed (Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahavolich come to mind). For your random modern day scribbler, I'd just go with the sharpie :)

Thank You!!! Now where do you buy these... I have tried Meijers, Hobby Lobby & Staples and I don't remember seeing these.

I bought mine from "The Autograph Card" company (click the title to go right to their page). They are nice for glossy cards but as you mentioned, a finer point than a sharpie. Hope that helps.

Bobby's Autographs

Staedtlers can be cool because they dry almost instantly, but I've learned the hard way that you need to break them in for a while before getting an auto. If they're used new, they write almost pencil-thin and I think that looks horrible. They also have to be held vertically (straight up) to look their best, while most people sign with the pen on an angle. I've stopped over-thinking pen type, color, etc and only use blue Sharpie on cards.

I found Staedtlers at an arts & crafts store.

I've stopped over-thinking pen type, color, etc and only use blue Sharpie on cards.

Ditto!!

Posted on SCN there is a private signing with Tony Phillips. It will be held on October 5th and the cost is $12 per card.

Posted on SCN there is a private signing with Tony Phillips. It will be held on October 5th and the cost is $12 per card.

Pretty rare, I can't ever remember a signing with Tony Phillips. I could be wrong...

Pretty rare, I can't ever remember a signing with Tony Phillips. I could be wrong...

He signed at Gibraltar in 1996 or 1997