mbrieve

Upcoming signings

The same two that were at the Gloves for Kids signing at ABC Warehouse over the weekend will be at Gibraltar Taylor on July 13th:

Upcoming Autograph Signers at Sport Cards and Collectible Show - Gibraltar Trade Center Michigan

$15 for Darin Downs and $20 for Brayan Pena.

This hobby is sure not getting any less expensive to enjoy.

This is why gloves for kids went from getting your item signed to the photo cards.

Those two guys are fringe players. Both decent, but certainly shouldn't be commanding $15-20 bucks. I paid $25 for Bob Feller 2 years before he died. And Brayan Pena can now be had for only $5 less. That's kind of nuts. But going rate is going rate, as ridiculous as it sounds.

@Stanpapi - if you are looking for some Big Red Machine type guys, check out the link for Cincy Card Shows. Normally they do a big show twice per year. Just before spring training and another in November (Thanksgiving Weekend). Last year they had some good signers including Jim Maloney, Joe Morgan, and Johnny Bench.

index

Does anyone know if there are any shows in the Toledo, OH, area that are worth while?

I live in the Toledo area and there are never any cards shows in Toledo. There are signings for all sports like at:

• Cardboard Hereos at Westfield Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, OH In-Store Events

• D&D Sports at Westfield Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, OH (same owners of Playball Ink from Lima OH)

• Hall of Framers at Fallen Timbers Mall in Maumee, OH they have a Facebook page but don't update it and only advertise by Radio Ads

• Menards Stores around the Toledo area have held free signings in the past

......... with all that said, no Tigers have been in the area for a couple years. The only former Tiger to come to the area was Milt Wilcox and his Ultimate Air Dogs at the Andersons Store in Maumee, OH Ultimate Air Dogs - The Premier Dock Jumping Organization

I live in the Toledo area and there are never any cards shows in Toledo. There are signings for all sports like at:

• Cardboard Hereos at Westfield Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, OH In-Store Events

• D&D Sports at Westfield Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, OH (same owners of Playball Ink from Lima OH)

• Hall of Framers at Fallen Timbers Mall in Maumee, OH they have a Facebook page but don't update it and only advertise by Radio Ads

• Menards Stores around the Toledo area have held free signings in the past

......... with all that said, no Tigers have been in the area for a couple years. The only former Tiger to come to the area was Milt Wilcox and his Ultimate Air Dogs at the Andersons Store in Maumee, OH Ultimate Air Dogs - The Premier Dock Jumping Organization

Thanks KC. Hopefully things ramp up a bit in Toledo. I would make the drive if they started to get more interesting guests. I wanted to go for Pete Rose last time but the day just didn't work for me.

Edited by stanpapi

@KCFITZ78, Thanks for this. I will keep my eyes on those locations. A drive to Toledo is doable...and if there are players that are different than the Detroit area, most likely worth a few more minutes in the car.

The Bob Gibson signing today at DC was very lightly attended. There were maybe 40-50 people in line and from what I could tell, the line never went past the escalator at Lakeside. Of course, at $65, the price was steep, although it was in line with what he gets at every other show he does (not just the big national show or the HOF every year). Despite that, I would have thought there would have been more of a 68 WS attraction with Bob. He is, after all, one of the greatest pitchers to ever play the game and was an instrumental figure in that series. I think it probably would have been a better draw if they had Lolich or Mclain with him. On the other hand, Lou Brock seemed to do really well last year with similar prices. So I guess you never know. They have had success bringing in non-Detroit sports figures in the past (Bobby Hull comes to mind), so I don't think you can generalize and say that non-Detroit sports figures don't do well here. I think it was a combination of the pricing, the fact that it was the start of a holiday week and also the fact that they didn't put him together with a 68 Tiger to draw some more people in.

Edited by stanpapi

Gibson has been around in the past. My father got three Gibson balls signed at a Hawkins show around 20 years ago. I remember him griping about the cost then, but today at $65 he was glad he got multiples when he did. I keep my eyes peeled at the Detroit shows, because up here in the Pacific Northwest, there isn't the signings like in the mid western states.

Mike Morse, a marginal player and a below average Seattle Mariners team was asking $40/autograph recently.

However, the minor league team here in Vancouver will be rolling out a number of players this season for free with a paid ticket ($12.50). They have Tim Raines, Rollie Fingers, Joe Carter, Ernie Whitt and Larry Walker coming to sign. The price is right and for that money, I buy my buddy a ticket and he gets another ball signed for me!

Our new closer has been added to the Gloves for Kids event at ABC Warehouse this Saturday:

Player Appearances | tigers.com: Community

It looks like Saturday is a busy day. Drew Smyly @ Meijer in Madison Heights, Benoit & Tuiasosopo @ ABC Warehouse, Brayan Pena & Darin Downs @ Gibraltar (not sure if Downs is still in since he's on the DL), and Austin Jackson @ Meijer in Warren (about halfway down the page here: 101 WRIF - Detroit - Rocks the D- Events)

All the free ones are no outside items, but lots of opportunity to meet the team at the very least.

No need to worry about the signings at the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet stores in either Ypsilanti or Lansing. Both signings will be auto racing related. Not my cup of tea.

No need to worry about the signings at the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet stores in either Ypsilanti or Lansing. Both signings will be auto racing related. Not my cup of tea.

That seems like a huge mismatch for this area. Does Ollie's realize that Ypsi and Lansing are in Michigan and not Tennessee?

However, the minor league team here in Vancouver will be rolling out a number of players this season for free with a paid ticket ($12.50). They have Tim Raines, Rollie Fingers, Joe Carter, Ernie Whitt and Larry Walker coming to sign. The price is right and for that money, I buy my buddy a ticket and he gets another ball signed for me!

Amen for buddies!!!

I'm not trying to butt in, since I'm not able to go, but Juan Berenguer has been very good through the mail in the past. He would charge a small fee, something like $3-$5 per item, but he was totally automatic. If they are team or multi-signed items, I would suggest not going the TTM route, but if you are looking to get a photo, cards or baseball, TTM is a pretty good bet.

One of the TTM regulars can probably chime in and confirm his current habits. I hope this was helpful.

That seems like a huge mismatch for this area. Does Ollie's realize that Ypsi and Lansing are in Michigan and not Tennessee?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a Nascar track in the state of Michigan....... called "Michigan International Speedway". Michgan is also home for the Headquarters of the ARCA racing series.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a Nascar track in the state of Michigan....... called "Michigan International Speedway". Michgan is also home for the Headquarters of the ARCA racing series.

Haha, touche KC. There is obviously a market for NASCAR because Michigan is a big market for every sport. I acknowledge we are the Motor City too, but from my experiences this has never been a NASCAR-crazy area like fans are for the big 4 and possibly soccer, golf, and tennis too before motorsports. I have a cousin who races in the NHRA and the fame and notoriety he gets away from Michigan is a lot more than in his home state.

My statement was more of a boo-hoo that it wasn't a former MLB'er.

Haha, touche KC. There is obviously a market for NASCAR because Michigan is a big market for every sport. I acknowledge we are the Motor City too, but from my experiences this has never been a NASCAR-crazy area like fans are for the big 4 and possibly soccer, golf, and tennis too before motorsports. I have a cousin who races in the NHRA and the fame and notoriety he gets away from Michigan is a lot more than in his home state.

My statement was more of a boo-hoo that it wasn't a former MLB'er.

I concur with peze here. I think a baseball hofer or even a retired star affiliated with the tigers in some fashion would have done much better than nascar. There's some market for nascar and racing in general here, but it's relatively small. If you talk to the guys at Ollies, they'll tell you that the stores down south that have the nascar guys signing are absolutely insane on grand opening days. As opposed to here, where I suspect they'll have trouble drawing interest.

I suppose there is always hope for a baseball signer at the store in Flint, but that's out of my 'autograph driving radius', unless it's for someone so special that I could justify the trip. Plus most of these things are early in the morning on a Tuesday, which isn't exactly convenient for most people to get to.

^^^If I recall correctly, neither of these guys have made a ton of appearances recently. I think Doug Baker was on the World Series roster, too.

I may go for Baker...Scotty Earl literally made his MLB debut on September 10th 1984 and his last appearance in the big leagues on September 30th of that year. A very obscure player for sure. Baker wasn't much better but he was slightly more involved on that team and did see the post season...I think he was in the first alcs game, but that was it.

Of the more 'major' 84 guys, I need Rusty Kuntz, Bill Scherrer, Ruppert Jones and Howard Johnson. I somehow missed them all when they've come through over the years.

Of the more 'major' 84 guys, I need Rusty Kuntz, Bill Scherrer, Ruppert Jones and Howard Johnson. I somehow missed them all when they've come through over the years.

Kuntz has signed for me the last three times I saw him at Comerica Park, including this year. He is a coach with the Royals, and if you call him over to you while standing next to the home plate side of the visitor's dugout he should sign. He is scheduled to come back on Sept. 25 - 27, the final regular home series for our Tigers. Good luck!