mbrieve

Upcoming signings

Thanks Greg for posting and welcome to the board! Out of curiosity, how was the turnout for Maddox/Redmond when you went?

Peze, Thanks. The turnout was kind of low. I was there at 12:25PM and there was no one in line. I was number #60 for Maddox and #65 for Redmond.

By the way, both were great guys to speak with. Redmond looked very distinguised and was very friendly. He scored the winning run against the Red Sox in his very first game. He pinch ran and scored all the way from first base on a John Sullivan single in 1965. He only had 7 ab's as a Tiger and was in the minors due to the Tigers loaded OF roster. He was just in the wrong organization. The Tigers had sent him to the Phillies in 1971(?) but took him back on some sort of waiver deal. Wayne never played again in the majors after 1969.

Maddux was a great guy too. He is a Jewish African-American who was wearing a Maize and Blue Michigan kippah (?) on his head. I asked him how he found out he was traded with McLain and Wert to the Seantors and he replied sort of in a PO"d way, "you wanna know how I found out??? My dad came into my bedroom that Saturday morning and flopped the newspaper at me and said "read this!'. That's how I found out. The Tigers NEVER spoke with me again after I was traded". Maddux also told me some very good Ted williams stories, too as Ted was his manager with Washington. Maddux is still a big U of M fan. I asked him who else from his U of M team made the big show and he responded "Geoff Zahn".

Both are great guys and I now have a better appreciation as to why there is a MLB Players Union due to the way baseball was back then.

FYI: Alex Avila has cancelled tonight's autograph session at DC Sports. Looks like he has rescheduled for the 19th of June.

They added Jose Ortega to tonights signing for $10 per.

For those who are looking for the obscure Tigers, there have been two more added to the Lou Whitaker/Marty Castillo/Jim Leyland signing at Canterbury Village. John Young and Bill Slayback have been added to the show.

http://kingscourtcastle.com/home/images/docs/Midwest_June2013_CV.pdf

Thanks for posting this one! I need John Young for my Tiger autograph collection. Just got off the phone with promoter and ordered a couple signatures.

Thanks for posting this one! I need John Young for my Tiger autograph collection. Just got off the phone with promoter and ordered a couple signatures.

John Young very obscure Tiger, but almost all Tiger collectors need him-his listed address has been wrong for years. Rarely see anything on him come up for sale. I know a lot of you are saying who is he and I had to Google him, but I'm excited that he is finally doing something and I can cross another Tiger off my list. The other one is Slayback-- I don't think he has answered mail in years.

Edited by BASEBALLMAN

Do you pay the promoter over the phone or do they hold tickets till you pick them up at event.

Do you pay the promoter over the phone or do they hold tickets till you pick them up at event.

I bought advance tickets over the phone with a credit card- Mark told me they would be at the show waiting for me. Pick up at cashier selling tickets. I wanted to be sure I got low numbers for Leyland.

Does anyone know if the promoter will have Castillo or whitaker photos for sale at the show. He had Castillo ones at the Redford show but I am looking for the Whitaker and trammel standing next to each other 8x10.

Does anyone know if the promoter will have Castillo or whitaker photos for sale at the show. He had Castillo ones at the Redford show but I am looking for the Whitaker and trammel standing next to each other 8x10.

Try e-mailing the promoter: midwestsportscollectors@comcast.net

Email on web site is: midwestsportscollectors@yahoo.com

midwestsportscollectors.com

Hmm, ok, that was the e-mail address I received the latest update from earlier this week. Maybe he has multiple addresses???

Avila will no longer be appearing tomorrow night since he is on the 15 day DL. I got the call from DC sports last night. They confirmed Smyly will still be there.

More Tigers in the Community appearances posted today on the Tigers site. All are photocards only, no outside items though.

Player Appearances | tigers.com: Community

I know that the Tigers at the ABC appearances only sign the store issued photos. I have several gloves I would like to donate. Do I get one autograph from each of the Tiger signers in exchange for one glove, or do I need to donate two gloves to get the two autos. My wife is going with me to this event on Sat. Thanks for your help.

You guys that go will have to report on how the crowd is for Leyland. I just can't bring myself to drive out there for him. He's just been god awful handling pitchers this year. :silly:

What a great show at Canterbury this weekend. Not huge turn out for signers but a power house show- vintage dealers- room was sold out (heard 105 tables). Picked up some great stuff I usually only see at National. These were dealers from National type shows- only a few and I mean a few of the Gibraltar guys. The turnout for signers was as follows: Leyland was pretty slow but extremely out of the way friendly standing up and coming around to pose for photos. A really nice sit down autograph (not perfection) but none of that garbage from spring training or at the park., Castillo about same, Whitaker was very busy as I thought he would be- BEST I have ever seen him. Lou went above and beyond his normal signing asking exactly where, how and make sure what pen I wanted etc, etc. Many die hard Tiger collectors were there for John Young and Bill Slayback - finally got Slayback to sign by "move over Babe" record - already had Ernie Harwell on it.

I really hope they come back for the September 21 & 22 date advertised, but rumors are they will not do it.

I wanted to make it for Whitaker but had too much going on and just couldn't do 2 hours in the car there and back today.

I have said for a while that a mini-national/regional type of show could work here. These guests were not exactly strong for that type of show (not critical of these guests, but they played to more of a local crowd vs. a large regional type of event). I think if they ramp up the guest list a bit they can turn it into something really good. Glad there were several new dealers there. I guess I'm kind of surprised there are rumors they won't do it again- they did try this a few years ago and had bob feller, johnny bower, sparky anderson, etc. etc. I think that one did pretty well. I understand why they waited to try a larger show again due to the economy the last several years. But now? Why not.

Regarding more of a regional type show, I'd love for somebody to do a baseball hall of fame type of show here. Pull in the big red machine, Reggie, Steve Carlton, etc. etc. like some of the chicago shows do. You wouldn't need to have 40 signers, just enough to make it interesting. I think a show like that could do really well here and would draw from Chicago, Cleveland, etc.

@Stanpapi - if you are looking for some Big Red Machine type guys, check out the link for Cincy Card Shows. Normally they do a big show twice per year. Just before spring training and another in November (Thanksgiving Weekend). Last year they had some good signers including Jim Maloney, Joe Morgan, and Johnny Bench.

index

Does anyone know if there are any shows in the Toledo, OH, area that are worth while?

Edited by TigerAutographHunter
Forgot to put in the link

@Stanpapi - if you are looking for some Big Red Machine type guys, check out the link for Cincy Card Shows. Normally they do a big show twice per year. Just before spring training and another in November (Thanksgiving Weekend). Last year they had some good signers including Jim Maloney, Joe Morgan, and Johnny Bench.

index

Does anyone know if there are any shows in the Toledo, OH, area that are worth while?

There was a promoter in Toledo who had Pete Rose about 2 months ago (cardboard heros I believe at the mall on Monroe St.). They seem to be really random with their signings, however. I don't know of much else in the Toledo area, but I do keep an eye out for them, so if I see something I'll post it. I appreicate the tip on the Cincy shows.

It must have been too late when I was posting earlier. The specific show that you want is at Moeller High School in Cincy. They have some other obscure guys that sign too (non-baseball) like Aaron Pryor (Boxing). They have had some guys with Tiger connections like Jim Bunning, Jack Billingham, John Warden, and of course Ron Leflore.