mbrieve

Upcoming signings

At $65, $75 & $85 an item they are a little over priced. A signing listed on SCN lists Gibson for $40, $55 & $60.

That is DC Sports for you. They overcharge for everything...because they can. I've stopped going to their signings because of their horrendous prices they charge. I must be in the minority though as they do pretty well no matter what their asking price is. It's pretty frustrating because they do get good quality and good variety.

That is DC Sports for you. They overcharge for everything...because they can. I've stopped going to their signings because of their horrendous prices they charge. I must be in the minority though as they do pretty well no matter what their asking price is. It's pretty frustrating because they do get good quality and good variety.

My opinion is they have people who don't know any better, for example they had people line up for Jack Morris even though he was signing for FREE at Menard's within a few days. There are too many uninformed collectors. So as long as they keep paying the prices, they will keeping bringing in the guys.

First of all, DC has been the only store during the recession that kept things going around here. The hobby absolutely flat lined for several years and they were some of the only signings around. So I have an appreciation toward them for doing that. Second, Steve likely has to charge a bit more to get gibson here. This isn't a show in St. Louis or Chicago, or a national show with a larger budget. So from that perspective, I am ok with their prices for Gibson- or anybody else who is more of a national name, for that matter. I'm happy that they are opening it up a bit and bringing in some different names. This is what I've been hoping promoters around here would start to do. I mean, how many times can you rotate the same 84/68 tigers or Ted Lindsay, or Delvecchio or Gordie, etc? Bringing in names that don't live here or don't have a reason to already be in Detroit takes more money, pure and simple. I would love to see them bring in Johnny Bench or Steve Carlton or Jim Palmer, or any number of the more modern day (non steroid era) baseball hall of famers who don't have a natural association with Detroit. Basically the only way we collectors are going to get those guys right now is to travel to a national show- and pay higher prices. So if bringing in Gibson costs a bit more, but I don't have to travel to Chicago or DC or somewhere else to get them- that's perfectly fine with me. I'd rather give it to the local guy than a national show anyway. I applaud Steve for thinking a bit outside the box-- I hope he keeps it up.

Having said all of this, I'd like to see them do the same thing with hockey- up until now, they've really only ventured outside the "Detroit" hockey world to bring in Bobby Hull. How about Esposito, Bossy, Beliveau, guys like that? I mean, the last time both Espositos were in town was about 7 or 8 years ago. There were something like 600 people there. I think they'd find that they'd do pretty well with guys like this if they did it right- perhaps combined certain guys for a signing (Bobby Clarke, hammer Schultz, Bernie Parent, etc.). I will say this- the promoter that can swing Hasek and Vernon when the winter classic rolls around will probably sell 1500+ tickets.

The other thing I'll say about the Morris/free signing thing is this- you get what you pay for. Sometimes free signings are great and you can get whatever you want, other times they suck and are very limited. As a general rule, I'd much rather pay and know I'm getting my item done the way I want. If I stumble into a good free signing, I take it when I can, but I don't count on them.

Edited by stanpapi

First of all, DC has been the only store during the recession that kept things going around here. The hobby absolutely flat lined for several years and they were some of the only signings around. So I have an appreciation toward them for doing that. Second, Steve likely has to charge a bit more to get gibson here. This isn't a show in St. Louis or Chicago, or a national show with a larger budget. So from that perspective, I am ok with their prices for Gibson- or anybody else who is more of a national name, for that matter. I'm happy that they are opening it up a bit and bringing in some different names. This is what I've been hoping promoters around here would start to do. I mean, how many times can you rotate the same 84/68 tigers or Ted Lindsay, or Delvecchio or Gordie, etc? Bringing in names that don't live here or don't have a reason to already be in Detroit takes more money, pure and simple. I would love to see them bring in Johnny Bench or Steve Carlton or Jim Palmer, or any number of the more modern day (non steroid era) baseball hall of famers who don't have a natural association with Detroit. Basically the only way we collectors are going to get those guys right now is to travel to a national show- and pay higher prices. So if bringing in Gibson costs a bit more, but I don't have to travel to Chicago or DC or somewhere else to get them- that's perfectly fine with me. I'd rather give it to the local guy than a national show anyway. I applaud Steve for thinking a bit outside the box-- I hope he keeps it up.

Having said all of this, I'd like to see them do the same thing with hockey- up until now, they've really only ventured outside the "Detroit" hockey world to bring in Bobby Hull. How about Esposito, Bossy, Beliveau, guys like that? I mean, the last time both Espositos were in town was about 7 or 8 years ago. There were something like 600 people there. I think they'd find that they'd do pretty well with guys like this if they did it right- perhaps combined certain guys for a signing (Bobby Clarke, hammer Schultz, Bernie Parent, etc.). I will say this- the promoter that can swing Hasek and Vernon when the winter classic rolls around will probably sell 1500+ tickets.

The other thing I'll say about the Morris/free signing thing is this- you get what you pay for. Sometimes free signings are great and you can get whatever you want, other times they suck and are very limited. As a general rule, I'd much rather pay and know I'm getting my item done the way I want. If I stumble into a good free signing, I take it when I can, but I don't count on them.

I'll add one other thing; DC is great for us Tiger fans that now live out of the state and can't attend the other local Detroit free signings. It's a safe way to get something signed through the mail. That's worth a few extra bucks to me.

Jim

That is one thing that is very important to point out about DC. Steve is an honest guy and he has a great staff. He treats people with respect and handles mail order and drops very well. I've never been treated badly in 10+ years of dealing with them. I can't say that about every promoter out there. We are fortunate to have them here.

A bit more is $5- $10 PER autograph more to travel, NOT $25 more PER autograph. PRICING was the only point here nothing about who, what or why they were signing.

I don't know where the SCN signing was or when it was. But I think Bob's prices have gone up. It was actually bugging me about whether or not DC is overcharging for him. So I did some homework:

Bob is actually signing tomorrow, April 19th in San Fransisco at a Tristar national show. Here are his prices:

Regular Item - Flat item up to and including 11x14 or baseball $70

Premium Item - Flat item larger than 11x14, cap/equipment (other than Full Size items) $80

Full Size Item - Full size bat, jersey, jersey number or game used $90

Inscription - One (1) career achievement or personalization up to 5 words $20

He's also signing in Phoenix at a show in June at the following prices:

Flat Items up to 11x14 & Baseballs $65

All other items $75

Bats & Jerseys $100

Inscriptions $25 each

Compare those two shows with DC Sports' prices for him in June:

flats/balls :$65;

large flats :$75;

premiums: $85;

inscriptions: $20

To be clear, I don't work for or represent DC sports in any way. I just enjoy their signings and feel I have always been treated fairly, so I wanted to confirm that things were still in line here. You could argue DC's "flat" charge is only up to 8X10, not 11X14 like the other shows, but that's a minor point. Steve is actually cheaper or the same on every pricing tier, and the inscription charge is right in line. So while you may not like Bob's prices, they are what they are, but the fact remains, DC is not inflating anything. This is his going rate. In fact, I'm surprised DC isn't higher than the other two shows because Bob rarely comes to the Detroit area. From what I can tell, the only time he has actually ever been here in the last 12 years was a visit to Gibraltar Trade Center in 2001. So bravo to Steve for even getting him.

Edited by stanpapi

I think what is being referred to regarding Bob Gibson prices is that there is a dealer that offers private signings for Bob and Lou Brock at very reasonable prices. There are often restrictions to these signings, ie. just cards, lkimit to 100 total, etc. It's a great deal if: 1. you don't want to meet him in person, 2. are willing to mail your item, 3. are willing to wait 4. have an item that meets the restrictions. There are times when I want something signed in a specific way ie. pen, location, etc. and I want to be able to look someone in the eye, shake their hand and say thank you, and some of my items are to valuable or too difficult to mail. For that I am willing to pay a bit of a premium. I'm glad DC Sports is giving me that opportunity.

Is it possible the original SCN signing was mail order only and at his wholesale price? I agree, I always thought Bob Gibson charged what DC Sports is advertising.

That's certainly possible, inasmuch as there are situations where some dealers offer cut rates for mail ins, special lower rates only for baseball cards, etc. But from what I can tell, for a pure public signing, the rates are pretty consistent. I don't do much through the mail or with dealers I don't know, so from that perspective the lower rates for one particular mail in situation don't really affect me. I think it's just great Steve was able to bring him here- they have really been ramping up the profile of their signings lately so hopefully that continues. We in Detroit don't get as many reps at some of these bigger name guys like those in the national towns (Chicago, NY, LA, etc.).

Good news - everyone loves to pay the prices. The Autograph fees everyone is referring to is Mounted, Tri Star & MAB all are the highest prices, around so DC matched them GREAT. As I said before my whole point is PRICING!!! I understand privates, wholesale and mail order, etc etc etc,

Just an opinion.

Certainly not intending to start an argument, baseballman. But there really is no point arguing prices that are market set. It sort of is what it is. If you don't like them, don't pay them. We all have that choice, and I know many who certainly exercise that choice on more than one occaision, including me. I simply don't believe in beating up DC for this when the pricing is mostly athlete driven. It's kind of like saying gasoline is way too high and blaming the corner gas station...when that station is in fact just following the rest of the market and buying from the same refineries. Not much you can do if you don't want to pay the price, other than not fuel your car and not drive.

I personally think we are seeing a general trend back upward after the economic downturn. You saw many of the national promoters doing roll back pricing for the last several years. That has disappeared. One thing I will say- I'd much rather pay a guy like Gibson $70 than a guy like Cabrera $150....Bob didn't make anywhere close to the money Miggy is making. Which is why I generally favor the older athletes. Plus their signatures are generally better. While Cabrera has a fairly good signature, there aren't many guys on the Tigers currently that I would pay big money for. Give me the old timers who's sigs are nice.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually agree with peze23 and BASEBALLMAN on this. They do bring in some some decent guys and the prices are reasonable some of the time, but as a whole, that company is WAY overpriced. Not even just on signatures (which they are most of the time), but they charge $22 for a baseball and people buy them. That's just one example. I went into the Novi store last summer and just about everything in there was MUCH higher than normal retail store pricing. The thing with DC is, I don't think they cater to collectors, they cater to fans and 90% don't know any better. Mom and Dad in Novi might not know they are overpriced, but most collectors know that you can get the same signature from probably 80% of their signers for much less or even free, but fans don't. I actually understood the Cabrera pricing and took part in that signing since your not getting that sig with the inscriptions anywhere else, but him and Kaline are about the only 2 guys in recent memory (of the Tigers) that you couldn't get the same sig at the park, free or a cheaper signing.

With that being said, everyone has their own opinion on it and I understand that. I know for a lot of people, the convenience is worth the fee and I get that. Some people just absolutely don't like (or have the time for) getting autographs IP or at free signings and other folks are generally against paying for an autograph. For me, they are overpriced, but I understand why they do so well and kudos to them for making it work.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually agree with peze23 and BASEBALLMAN on this. They do bring in some some decent guys and the prices are reasonable some of the time, but as a whole, that company is WAY overpriced. Not even just on signatures (which they are most of the time), but they charge $22 for a baseball and people buy them. That's just one example. I went into the Novi store last summer and just about everything in there was MUCH higher than normal retail store pricing. The thing with DC is, I don't think they cater to collectors, they cater to fans and 90% don't know any better. Mom and Dad in Novi might not know they are overpriced, but most collectors know that you can get the same signature from probably 80% of their signers for much less or even free, but fans don't. I actually understood the Cabrera pricing and took part in that signing since your not getting that sig with the inscriptions anywhere else, but him and Kaline are about the only 2 guys in recent memory (of the Tigers) that you couldn't get the same sig at the park, free or a cheaper signing.

With that being said, everyone has their own opinion on it and I understand that. I know for a lot of people, the convenience is worth the fee and I get that. Some people just absolutely don't like (or have the time for) getting autographs IP or at free signings and other folks are generally against paying for an autograph. For me, they are overpriced, but I understand why they do so well and kudos to them for making it work.

Exactly my point PRICING and "the uninformed collector" BUT BUT BUT just my opinion- not beating anyone up! If you want to pay it GO AHEAD. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION- I'm not forcing it on anyone , just like to see the collectors INFORMED.

If the market wouldn't bear it, they wouldn't charge it - simple economics.

There may even be a little behind the scenes logic. They may have done the math and figured out that they can make just as much by charging more, getting fewer requests, but still make the same amount of money. Equal money for less work is always good for a business. Remember, it is a business.

Re: Bob Gibson...

Gibson, Lou Brock and Red Schoendienst have a deal with Tom Orr for mail-in autos. Below are copy/pastes from SCN. The first is Tom's post on SCN announcing the deal on 12/5/12. The next 3 have the details. I'm not affiliated with this in any way; I just read the Gibson conversation here and thought I'd add this info in case anyone wants to use that route. I know nothing else about it - contact Tom if you have questions.

Quotes:

Last week I finalized a deal with Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and Red Schoendienst along with their rep to start handling any mail order item requests that collectors are looking to get signed. All information (such as where to send the items, how much each is and so forth) is in the notes section for each player in the "Sigs by mail" section.

I usually meet with them 4 times a year. It will be similar to the Nolan Ryan Foundation as where it could take anywhere from 4-12 to receive your item back, depending on when I will see them next.

Checks or money orders will not be cashed until about a week before the items are to be signed.

Bob Gibson is now accepting autographs requests thru the mail at the below address. The autograph pricing is listed below as well. ALL ITEMS MUST HAVE THE PROPER SASE AND POSTAGE.

Cards/Balls/Flats (up to 11x14)......$40

Oversized Flats (over 11x14)/Mini Helmets/Premiums......$55

Bats/Jerseys/Bases......$65

Inscriptions.....$15 each ( Limit 2 per item )

Items will be processed in the order they are received. Please allow 8-12 weeks for your order to be processed.

AtommicSports

c/o Tom Orr

5116 US Hwy 67

Beardstown, IL

ATTN: Bob Gibson

Lou Brock is now accepting autographs requests thru the mail at the below address. The autograph pricing is listed below as well. ALL ITEMS MUST HAVE THE PROPER SASE AND POSTAGE.

Cards/Balls/Flats (up to 11x14)......$40

Oversized Flats (over 11x14)/Mini Helmets/Premiums......$55

Bats/Jerseys/Bases......$115

Items will be processed in the order they are received. Please allow 8-12 weeks for your order to be processed.

AtommicSports

c/o Tom Orr

5116 US Hwy 67

Beardstown, IL

ATTN: Lou Brock

Red Schoendienst is now accepting autographs requests thru the mail at the below address. The autograph pricing is listed below as well. ALL ITEMS MUST HAVE THE PROPER SASE AND POSTAGE.

Cards......$20

Balls/Flats/Mini Helmets/Premiums......$25

Bats/Jerseys......$35

AtommicSports

c/o Tom Orr

5116 US Hwy 67

Beardstown, IL

ATTN: Red Schoendienst

Most people should really know they can pick up an official MLB baseball at Dicks for like 15-16 bucks (or elsewhere for a bit less). So paying $22 at DC, well, that's kind of stupid. Now if people don't know enough to shop around, then DC will get those prices. DC also bumps up their prices on 8X10s etc, but with a very rare exception, I never buy my photos from them anyway. Most people know you can print your own via an online retailer for much, much less. But I don't disparage a retailer like DC from charging a higher price for those items. If they can get it, why not. The guy has to make a buck and pay people. Rent in the malls he is in is not cheap. And I've been in other stores like theirs around their country. Their pricing isn't out of whack with those other stores. Retail sports memorabilia stores like DC are on the expensive side everywhere.

As for the mail in signings, those are a great deal if you don't want to meet the player and don't want to be absolutely sure it's legit. Personally, 98% of my collection is stuff I got in person. The other 2% is pretty much from DC drop offs because I couldn't make it. I rarely do something with a promoter I haven't worked with alot. But that's just me - everyone has their own thing. I also value DC for making it easy, because I don't have the time to run around chasing these guys at the park or spring training or at some random free signing. But others do, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was merely demonstrating that as far as public signings go, DC is not out of line with others who do it around the country. In fact, at least for former detroit players, they are actually cheaper than when those guys go out and do public signings at other shows around the country. The bottom line for me is, I'd much rather have them here locally, in business and getting people into town than have them not make a buck, close and see it dry up significantly around here.

Did anyone attend the Gibraltar signing- Darryl Sitler, Lanny McDonald and Tiger Williams? I was just wondering what the crowd was like. I really needed Sitler, but I had tickets to the Wings game that day and could not attend.

BK

The signing was decently attended, but not as heavy as I've seen in the past. Most were there for Lanny. Sittler didn't seem to have too many and Tiger was basically sitting there chatting. I would say if Lanny hadn't have come, you could have sat on stage with them and just chatted after the first half hour.

Hello All,

Been following this site off and on for a few months. Don't live in the Detroit area any longer, but my folks do and I have been sending them all over picking up autographs for me all over Michigan.

Was wondering a few things:

1) Does the Detroit Free Press still list card shows and up coming signers every Wednesday? Or is that a thing of the past.

2) Besides Gibraltar, Redford VFW and DC Sports, are there any other places in Southeast Michigan that get Detroit Tigers to autograph?

3) If anyone is interested in a mail order for autograph baseball's, New West Little League in British Columbia, Canada is selling Justin Morneau autographed baseballs for $25. Also, former big leaguer Jeff Zimmerman is being sold for $25 as well in order to help raise money for the local Little League.

http://www.eteamz.com/newwestbaseball/files/NWLLCCRPoster.pdf

Above is the link in the event that someone is interested.

4) With respect to paying for autographs and the Bob Gibson discussion: If I really want someone and think the price is reasonable (to me), I have no problem shelling out the money for their autograph. An extra $5 or $10 premium isn't going to break the bank. If it is...then I might want to reevaluate why I am getting an autograph in the first place. My two cents.

Those are the major locations for Tigers' graphs. Sometimes a fanaticU store will have someone, although it is relatively sporadic. Typically they do signings at their garden city or southfield stores when they do have them. Beyond that, it's basically the random freebies that you have to watch out for. The free press will still list some things once a week but there just isn't much going on anymore beyond the ones you have listed. For the most part I watch the major sites on the web. You can get the upcoming VFW signings here: VFW POST 345. It sometimes takes them some time to post the updated flyer, but it eventually makes its way on there. There is also a facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/BobbysAutographs/info?ref=ts, where a local collector posts all known signings (usually very updated). There is another promoter here http://www.facebook.com/motorcitysportsgallery?fref=ts who does signings, but they usually focus on hockey.

Additionally, Mark will do shows under the moniker "midwest sports collectors show". Those have been more infrequent, but the next one is in June with Marty Castillo and Lou Whitaker in Lake Orion. http://kingscourtcastle.com/home/images/docs/Midwest_June2013_CV.pdf

Hope this helps.

Hello All,

Been following this site off and on for a few months. Don't live in the Detroit area any longer, but my folks do and I have been sending them all over picking up autographs for me all over Michigan.

Welcome to the site, Hunter! Not much to add from stanpapi, but stay tuned to this board. That will be your best bet for local signings.