mbrieve

Upcoming signings

Went to see Lance Parrish today. He pretty much signed whatever you wanted. It was also nice as he took time to talk to all.

BK

Went to see Gordie Howe today. He seemed to be pretty alert and was talking to the people in line. But having said that, I also actually heard them whisper "1972" to him when he wrote HOF. I can really tell he has slowed down alot just in the last year. Autograph is still pretty good, although not quite as crisp as in the past. Just a wonderful person and I hate to see him slow down, but I guess that's part of life.

Went to see Lance Parrish today. He pretty much signed whatever you wanted. It was also nice as he took time to talk to all.

BK

Lance is great. Always has been. Sorry I missed this, but it was one of those that wasn't well advertised.

For a little bit of a state of the hobby/private signings insight, here are my experiences from Saturday at Gibraltar:

I went to the Gibraltar Trade Center on Saturday to get Thomas Hearns. I arrived at about 10:30am and the signing for Hearns and Steward was to begin at 11am. I was about 30 deep in the ticket line (signs of a busy day as I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to buy tickets). After about 15 minutes in line and still about 20 people back, someone from the front of the line announced that Hearns had canceled (they later claimed he missed his flight).

I had a little car issue before I got their, so I left for about 30 minutes to an hour and returned with the intent of going to plan b, buying a Tyson autograph ticket (I drove 2.5 hours from GR, didn't feel like going home empty handed). It was about 12noon at this point, I got back into line, which was again about 30 people deep and noticed they had now posted a sign stating Hearns was rescheduled for Sunday, 12-2. There was no way I was coming back for a second day, so I asked if they would do drop-off/mail order and they would for no additional drop-off fee or shipping charge. So, I got my 3 Hearns items, got back in line again, which took another 30-45 minutes and purchased my tickets and dropped off my items in the Gibraltar business office.

While standing in line, I helped at least 5 people that had never attended an autograph signing in their life, all for Tyson. The had lines designated for tickets up to #400 and I would not be surprised if they did more than that. Quite impressive considering Tyson was charging $100/$150. There were also quite a few disappointed people hopping out of line that were there for Hearns, hopefully they were able to find out that he was in fact rescheduled.

My take is that it was a huge success for Gibraltar and the promoter (Motor City Sports Gallery of Troy). Not sure if you could duplicate it with anybody other than Tyson and I have no idea how successful Jerome Bettis was for them.

Gibraltar Trade Center Taylor

Lance Parrish

Taylor- Saturday March 31st, 2012 1:00-3:00

MAIL ORDER & ADVANCE TICKETS CALL: 734-287-2000

1984 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION

$20.00 - BALL/FLAT up to 11x14

$30.00 - OTHER ITEMS

INSCRIPTIONS: $10.00 per inscription

Dave Rozema

Taylor- Saturday March 31st, 2012 1:00-3:00

MAIL ORDER & ADVANCE TICKETS CALL: 734-287-2000

1984 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION

$5.00 - ANY ITEM

A few additional thoughts on the Gibraltar signing from the weekend:

1. I heard that Tyson and Hearns both showed up one hour late to their signings. There is nothing more irritating attending signings like this than when the guest shows up more than 10-15 minutes late.

2. I can't remember seeing Gibraltar this busy in recent memory. I didn't go to the last Barry Sanders signing but figured that might be a contender. Seemed like a lot of first timers to me. Can anybody think of a guest that has had this kind of draw?

3. I was told that Hearns refused to do inscriptions and the promoter had to refund all those inscription tickets. He was signing "Hitman" on all items. I thought it was ridiculous that they were counting "Hitman" as an inscription for Hearns in the first place as I can't remember seeing him sign anything other than "Thomas Hitman Hearns" before.

4. As for future signings, I would suggest Magic Johnson to the promoters. I was trying to think of a national name who does public signings, who has never done a Detroit area signing (other than book signings), and who could draw a crowd like Tyson. Then add in his Michigan roots and I think you would have a huge success. Anybody have any other ideas for national guests that could draw well?

A few additional thoughts on the Gibraltar signing from the weekend:

1. I heard that Tyson and Hearns both showed up one hour late to their signings. There is nothing more irritating attending signings like this than when the guest shows up more than 10-15 minutes late.

2. I can't remember seeing Gibraltar this busy in recent memory. I didn't go to the last Barry Sanders signing but figured that might be a contender. Seemed like a lot of first timers to me. Can anybody think of a guest that has had this kind of draw?

3. I was told that Hearns refused to do inscriptions and the promoter had to refund all those inscription tickets. He was signing "Hitman" on all items. I thought it was ridiculous that they were counting "Hitman" as an inscription for Hearns in the first place as I can't remember seeing him sign anything other than "Thomas Hitman Hearns" before.

4. As for future signings, I would suggest Magic Johnson to the promoters. I was trying to think of a national name who does public signings, who has never done a Detroit area signing (other than book signings), and who could draw a crowd like Tyson. Then add in his Michigan roots and I think you would have a huge success. Anybody have any other ideas for national guests that could draw well?

John Smoltz

John Smoltz

No joke, add Doyle Alexander and that would be a huge show. I doubt Doyle would do a show like this (or any show for that matter), but one could dream.

No joke, add Doyle Alexander and that would be a huge show. I doubt Doyle would do a show like this (or any show for that matter), but one could dream.

Pair him up with Doyle Alexander, who would do well also ('87 Division champions)! Certainly not a national name, but Les Cain from the '68 WS Champs and '72 AL West Champs would be very popular.

Speaking of 1968 Tigers, how about Denny Ribant with Les Cain.

How about a Pistons championship reunion signing from '89 and '90 - have they ever had one?

+1 Loved those Bad Boys!!!

Charles Woodson would draw a good crowd. He does national signings, but hasn't done one in Michigan probably since he went to the NFL. His prices are very high though.

Reunion signings would be great too, like the Pistons or the Fab Five (my dream signing).

Just wanted to let everyone know. I'm in Chi Town for the Sun Times show. Steve Graus from DC has a booth. I talked to him for a couple of minutes about the Miguel Cabrera signing. He said it should be I'm May with prices of $99/$125.

Also kinda weird but they are not using blue sharpies for their items. He said that they will be using black paint pen as it holds better. Not that I was gonna spend $149 on their 16x20 of Miguel anyway. Just doesn't look right in black.

May 6th show is Juan Berenguer, 11-1, $15. They also indicate that more signers will be added. No April show as usual.

Those in Michigan, keep your eyes open for the annual Meijer Opening Day signing - they had Hernandez and Petry (I think) last year. The website doesn't have anything yet, but I heard unofficially the Chicago signers will be Fergie Jenkins and Ron Kittle on Sat 4/7. Last year, Detroit, Cincinnati and Chicago happened simultaneously, so I assume Detroit will be 4/7 as well.

Went to see Gordie Howe today. He seemed to be pretty alert and was talking to the people in line. But having said that, I also actually heard them whisper "1972" to him when he wrote HOF. I can really tell he has slowed down alot just in the last year. Autograph is still pretty good, although not quite as crisp as in the past. Just a wonderful person and I hate to see him slow down, but I guess that's part of life.

I saw Gordie at the Wings game signing his book. It's kind of sad, he does seem to be slowing down quite a bit.

BK

I saw Gordie at the Wings game signing his book. It's kind of sad, he does seem to be slowing down quite a bit.

BK

He is. I've seen him probably half a dozen times over the last 5 years. I could tell something wasn't really right about a year ago. I was kind of worried when I saw him last week. He didn't look "out of it" (I chatted with him a bit and he held the conversation fine), but he looked like he was having some difficulty. I hope he is able to continue to go out and do his appearances and keep himself active for several years. But you know what it kind of reminded me of? Sparky Anderson. The year before Sparky passed away, he did a signing in Novi. The promoter was emphatically telling everyone in line to point to the exact spot you wanted Sparky to sign, because otherwise he'd sign it where ever. I could tell Sparky wasn't quite right, and not long after that, he was gone. I hope that doesn't happen to Gordie. Mr. Howe is one of a kind.

Fanatic U (12 Mile Greenfield) will be having Joey Kocur on Sunday March 25 from 1-3pm as well as Cory Emmerton and Jakub Kindl from 3-5pm. Motor City Sports Gallery will be having Filppula, Joey

MacDonald and Brendan Smith Saturday March 31 from 3-5pm