mbrieve

Upcoming signings

On October 12, 2016 at 11:33 PM, TigerFan2490 said:

Still haven't cashed checks, no cards, and no return call from Foundation guy. JD started the year by ruining my card at Tigerfest, now this. Might be time to hang up the ol' sharpie.

All my checks cashed yesterday so I hope to see some packages soon

Our friend Dave asked me to post the following information:

TWO POPULAR WEST MICHIGAN SHOWS COMING UP THE NEXT TWO WEEKENDS, WITH GREAT AUTOGRAPHERS AT VERY REASONABLE PRICES.  MONIES RAISED AT BOTH SHOWS GO TO HELP THE KIDS, SO BE GENEROUS.  HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

Nov. 5: Spring Valley Church in Allendale with '84 Tigers Juan Berenguer and Sid Monge signing.  Bonus:  Former Red Sox Pitcher Jim Wright has just been added.  All monies collected go to the Spring Valley Sports Ministry.  

Nov. 12 - 13:  Lee High School in Wyoming with Denny McLain and Jose Canseco Signing - Both AL MVP's!  Plus there is an incredible auction Saturday.  ALL PROFITS GO TO THE HELP THE KIDS AT LEE HIGH SCHOOL, SO BE GENEROUS!!!!!!  See Scan 0014 for details.

Plus don't forget these shows:

Nov. 19:  St. Paul's Lutheran Church in South Haven

Nov. 26: Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt. Clemens with '84 Tiger Chet Lemon signing

Jan. 14: K-Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo

Feb. 4:  No Holiday Show in Holland this year.  Bill Hamilton has informed me that they will have their 19th Annual "Super Bowl Spectacular" show on Feb. 4 at the Doubletree Hotel in Holland

Feb. 11:  28th Annual Brooks' Sports Card Show at Wedel's Garden Center in Kalamazoo

Mar. 28:  New show at the American Legion Hall in Whitehall!  

Scan_0012_zpsiln2rk9e.png

Scan_0013_zpszsosyykl.png

Scan0013-1_zpsquobayhx.jpg
  • Like 1

On October 10, 2016 at 10:57 PM, TigerFan2490 said:

sent cards on april 22! still waiting for sanchez, martinez, martinez, and iggy. spoke to tigers foundation last week and was told many cards were signed during the last homestand. was supposed to get a call to let me know the status-- still waiting. six months and no autos, no cards, and $130 tied up for six months. i could/should be earning interest on that money!  disappointing!!!

What is phone number for Tigers foundation?

18 hours ago, Dirk42 said:

What is phone number for Tigers foundation?

i just call the main number and ask for the foundation 

Big show coming up this weekend (Nov. 11 - 13). It's the 11TH ANNUAL STUBBY OVERMIRE FIELD SPORTSCARD SHOW AND AUCTION, located at Lee High School in Wyoming, MI. Two AL MVP's are signing, Jose Canseco and Denny McLain!  Scroll up to see the flier on the Nov. 1 posting.  Here's some updated info.

Friday, Nov. 11:  Your chance to have dinner in a more private setting with two MVP's and World Series Champions, Jose and Denny.  Show promoter Ty Emelander tells me that for $50 you get to attend a private Meet and Greet event, which includes a 7:30 PM dinner at Brann's Steakhouse (located at 4157 Division Ave. in Wyoming, MI) plus one autograph from each of the two players.  You and your buddies can also eat, talk, and take photos with these stars.  Jose was the league MVP in 1988, the same year he became the first member of the "40-40 Club," with 42 homers and 40 stolen bases.  In 1968, Denny won 31 games, and became and is still the only player in baseball history to win both the Cy Young and MVP Awards unanimously.  To reserve your spot at this event, contact Ty at either 616-443-8568 or email him at coachty6@hotmail.com.

Note:  To save $10 on this event, just say "Papa Mike Donovan" and you will only pay $40!

Saturday, Nov. 12:  The sports and memorabilia show at Lee High School runs from 9AM - 4PM.  Jose Canseco is signing from 11AM to 2PM, while Denny McLain is scheduled from 11AM - 3PM.  Scroll to the flier above (Nov. 1 posting) for details on pricing, which is very reasonable for two MVPs!

The live auction begins at 4:30PM, and over the years has included some incredible items.   Ty also told me that at the auction they will have a custom made Steelcase Tiger chair, newspaper on Babe Ruth's 500th home run at Tiger Stadium, as well as a newspaper on the end of Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak (also at Tiger Stadium).  Plus autograph items from the '68 and '84 World Champion Tigers, as well as HOF autographs from such stars as Bob Feller, Stan Musial, and others.  Don't forget the free food during the auction!

Sunday, Nov. 13:  The show continues, from 9AM - 4PM.  Denny McLain is signing from 10AM - Noon.  The 50 table show show will have something for everyone.  Get your Christmas present here!

Most important, all proceeds goes to the baseball and softball programs at Lee High School in Wyoming, a very poor area in West Michigan.  Denny McLain has been donating all his time for 10 years, and has been an integral part of the fund-raising to ensure that the kids at this school have a first class program! So spend generously!

Again, see the flier on the Nov. 1 posting above for more details.

See you at the show!

TWO AMERICAN LEAGUE MVP'S, JOSE CANSECO AND DENNY MCLAIN, COMING TO THE DETROIT AREA:

This is more than just a signing, but a hitting clinic!  

On Sunday, Nov. 13, Jose Canseco will be making an appearance at the Bottom Of The Ninth Hitting Clinic, located at  44370 N Groesbeck Hwy.  in Clinton Township.  Jose became the charter member of the "40/40 Club" in 1988 when he hit 42 homers and stole 40 bases.  Other facts about his career include:
6× All-Star (1986, 1988–1990, 1992,1999), 2× World Series champion (1989,2000), AL MVP (1988), AL Rookie of the Year (1986), 4× Silver Slugger Award (1988, 1990, 1991, 1998), 2× MLB home run leader (1988, 1991), and MLB RBI leader (1988.)  For his career stats go to:  http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/C/Pcansj001.htm

The 1968 MVP and 68/69 Cy Young Award winner, Denny McLain, will be joining Jose at this special event, and will also be signing autographs.  His fee will be separate from Jose's, as quoted below.  For Denny's career stats, go to:  http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/M/Pmclad101.htm

The event is called "Bat Wars" and includes three hours of hitting plus a Q & A with Jose.  The $75 fee for the clinic includes an autograph from Jose and also a photo with him.  The clinic is from 11AM - 2PM.  You will be able to test out all the hottest baseball and softball bats for 2017.  There will also be baseball and softball equipment available for sale.  Jose will also be hitting!

The fee for just an autograph from Jose is just $45.  He will be signing from 1PM - 2PM.  There will be additional memorabilia for purchase for autographs.

This is a free event to the general public.  Food and beverage will be available, so you can have lunch at the event.

Call the Bottom of the Ninth at 586-468-9606  if you want to sign up for the Clinic, reserve an autograph, or if you have any questions.  Their facebook page is:  https://www.facebook.com/Bottomofth9th/ and their email address is Bottomoftheninth@att.net

Have fun!

Still time to make a reservation for the prime time "Denny and Jose" show on tomorrow night, Friday.  It includes a meal at that great restaurant, Brann's (located at 4157 South Division St. in Wyoming), one autograph from each of these two American League MVP, a Meet and Greet time, and free photos.  Plus some great baseball talk.  And the money goes to help the kids at Lee High School.  Call Ty at the number below to get you ticket, tell him "Papa Mike Donovan" sent you, and Ty will knock the price down $10 to only $40.  A great deal for everyone.  See you there!

9b310804-ab0f-430c-a222-5b2c239efed7_zps

Talk about crazy. Fullmer is appearing at the D shop in December. Prices are $75 +$40 for a ROY inscription. I think other inscriptions are $25.Note that DC had him earlier this year for $25. They upped that pricing to $35 if you didn't order by a certain date, but that was still a bargain. Fullmer is now in JV pricing territory. I wonder how long it will be before he stops signing all together? In my view, it doesn't really matter. Both Fullmer and JV have terrible autographs.Frankly, horrible penmanship is about to get me out of this hobby. For instance, I have skipped all the redwing signings for the last year or so. There literally isn't one current member of the redwings who has a legible autograph, except probably mrazek. Everyone else pretty much just does a 'symbol' as their graph. Gibraltar is having Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott this weekend. Vanek's auto features three diagonal lines. Steve ott can't even take the time to write his 3 letter last name. Sad.

I've said for a long time that once the majority of the graphs out there become illegible, I'm done. It's just not as appealing to me at that point. 

8 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Talk about crazy. Fullmer is appearing at the D shop in December. Prices are $75 +$40 for a ROY inscription. I think other inscriptions are $25.Note that DC had him earlier this year for $25. They upped that pricing to $35 if you didn't order by a certain date, but that was still a bargain. Fullmer is now in JV pricing territory. I wonder how long it will be before he stops signing all together? In my view, it doesn't really matter. Both Fullmer and JV have terrible autographs.Frankly, horrible penmanship is about to get me out of this hobby. For instance, I have skipped all the redwing signings for the last year or so. There literally isn't one current member of the redwings who has a legible autograph, except probably mrazek. Everyone else pretty much just does a 'symbol' as their graph. Gibraltar is having Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott this weekend. Vanek's auto features three diagonal lines. Steve ott can't even take the time to write his 3 letter last name. Sad.

I've said for a long time that once the majority of the graphs out there become illegible, I'm done. It's just not as appealing to me at that point. 

I couldn't agree more. Between the price and the scribble collecting current players for me is a waste.  I could understand the scribble when it was free graph at the ballpark but if you are paying the prices being charged today you should get something that can be read.  Add to that the fact that when I was in MC Sports for Black Friday I saw that they are charging $25 for an OMLB.  I stick with the old-timers.  You can read their handwriting and most actually seem to enjoy signing for fans.  

On November 26, 2016 at 7:14 AM, JRP said:

I couldn't agree more. Between the price and the scribble collecting current players for me is a waste.  I could understand the scribble when it was free graph at the ballpark but if you are paying the prices being charged today you should get something that can be read.  Add to that the fact that when I was in MC Sports for Black Friday I saw that they are charging $25 for an OMLB.  I stick with the old-timers.  You can read their handwriting and most actually seem to enjoy signing for fans.  

Saw Chet lemon yesterday. He's a terrific guy and you can actually read his signature- like most of the 84 guys. I don't know how many they had- looked like 250-300 people. Nice to see the old timers drawing well.

I'll put a vote in for tom Brookens too. He hasn't been around in 4 or 5 years. Would be nice to see him again. Another good guy with a nice graph. He's always good for a good story too.

He gave you a nice graph on the cover of your 84 yearbook for sure... just sad to see you slide it into that stupid DC bag of yours... lol

I attended the show in Taylor (lovely place) to get Jim Price's autograph.

Next show there is in January 6-7-8 with Hockey HOFer Larry Murphy and former Tiger Wille Horton.  Larry will be there on saturday and Willie on Sunday.

Taylor January 2017.pdf

I went to the Redford Card Show today and got 1984 Tiger Doug Baker's autograph.  He's a real nice guy who came in from California.  I feel bad because the crowd was down due to the weather. I was only #28 after 45 minutes of his two hour signing.

Next show is Sunday,  January 15th 9-2pm,  1984 Tiger Dave Rozema will be appearing from 11-1.  Cost is only $5, $3 per card.

Redford Show 0117.pdf

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LivoniaGreg said:

I went to the Redford Card Show today and got 1984 Tiger Doug Baker's autograph.  He's a real nice guy who came in from California.  I feel bad because the crowd was down due to the weather. I was only #28 after 45 minutes of his two hour signing.

Next show is Sunday,  January 15th 9-2pm,  1984 Tiger Dave Rozema will be appearing from 11-1.  Cost is only $5, $3 per card.

Redford Show 0117.pdf

I was bummed to have missed it.  Had every intention of going, but the drive from South Lyon became tougher to chance as the snow and road conditions got worse.

It was awesome to see several of the 97 Red Wings in town, it would be even more awesome if some of the ones that don't live in the area were able to do some signings or appearances.

BK