belcherboy

Barry is 181 away....

Barry is just 181 HR's away from the all time record and just 141 away from #2 spot....Does he have enough in his tank to make it?

He would just have to average 45 Home runs over the next four years and if he hits 60-70 this year, that number dramatically falls! He probably has a good chance at hitting 50+ next year, and for a few years to come....especially if he DH's in the AL!!!

I gotta feeling that the 2nd place spot is his, and there is a real good chance he breaks Hammerin' Hanks record!!!

He has an excellent chance of making it, if he can stay healthy (see McGwire, Mark for an example of how that excellent chance can go away quickly). But I'd bet on Sosa if I had to make a bet at this point. I think both will finish in the top three in career HR's when they retire (and how long they stay depends on how healthy Alex Rodriguez is for the next 10 years).

Who else believes that IF Barry Bonds ever has to DH, and is within one or two seasons of the record it will be with the New York Yankees. Stienbrenner can't pass up all the hoopla and attention that would come upon the Yankees. Furthermore nobody would pitch around Barry Bonds with Jason Giambi batting behind him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bonds with the Yankees, and people will continue to pitch around Bonds as long as he hits like he has lately. The guy was once walked with the bases loaded. And unless you are willing to throw him strikes, he has such a good eye (and great pitch recognition) that he will just take the pitch unless it is a strike.

i dont think barry could handle the media in new york he'd ring some ones neck

Walking Bonds with the bases loaded would score a run and still leave the bases loaded for Jason Giambi, and if you are trying to win the game the tactic wouldn't make any sense. The problem Bonds might face in NY is that by the time he comes up for his second at bat the game might already be out of hand and they won't pitch to him out of spite.

I believe the only team that Bonds would even consider DHing for would be the Mighty Yankees. The press would be fantastic, and another legend would be added to the Yankee mystique.

Williams, Jeter, Bonds, Giambi, Posada, Henson, Soriano, Johnson, and Rivera will make up one helluva batting line-up. And with Mussina and Pettite still pretty young and with Oakland unable to re-sign their young staff, the Yanks rotation will be in good shape as well.

Damn I wish I was a Yankee fan.

Bonds would absolutely flourish in the NY market!! Everyone would want to see him break the record and with that lineup he would see some quality pitches! It would be a really cool team to watch. If most the players on that team played up to their potential or near it, it would be considered one of the top teams in MLB history! Oh to dream that we could have that in Detroit!!!!!

Of course that all assumes Henson learns how to take a pitch and Rivera ever gets a chance with the team. I don't see Bonds in NY but I doubt there is any place he wouldn't succeed.

Does anyone actually think Bonds would have been better last year with Giambi hitting behind him????? I mean seriously, how much better can you get? If Ruth couldn't put up better seasons with Gehrig behind him, why is Giambi gonna suddenly make pitchers throw Bonds strikes?

By the time Oakland can't sign their yougn rotation, Pettite and Mussina won't be young anymore. Mulder and Hudson are already under LT contracts through their arbitration years.

I think Bonds would have hit more HRs with someone like Giambi or Helton behind him because the pitchers wouldn't pitch around him as much. Do you not think that's true? If you think it's true, don't you think he'd hit more HRs?

No I don't think that's true.

Bonds is a great hitter. And he's capable of hitting lots of HR's. but how many MORE HR's can you expect a guy to hit? Ruth "only" hit 60 with Gehrig hitting behind him. Lou Gehrig. That's the best 1B of all time hitting behind him. Ruth also led the league in walks consistently with Gehrig hitting behind him. If someone is as good as Bonds, he's gonna get pitched around. He might get intentionally walked less, but overall there is very little other impact. This is true for almost any other caliber of player. The only time the batter behind you has any real impact is if it is the pitcher.

So you don't think that pitchers give Bonds an "unintentional intentional walk"? You don't think pitchers pitch around him? You don't think there are cases where the pitcher and manager says "Don't give him anything to hit, let's take our chances with the next guy"?

I'm certain that it does happen. I'm certain that if a player just as good as Bonds were behind him then the pitcher would just rather take his chances with Bonds. If Bonds is thrown more strikes, common logic dictates he will hit more HR.

I agree. Especially with Bonds getting older, if he were playing with a team that had as good or better hitters hitting around him, he would see better pitches! I don't think a pitcher would want to put anyone on base when a "in his prime" Giambi follows and a "lived up to his potential" Henson follows Giambi.

Of course those two doing what they are expected to do is a big IF!!!!!

I'm not sure I agree that Bonds would thrive in New York.The media there is pretty relentless compared to what he has been used to dealing with.His personality would likely just ask for trouble with the press there,plus the closer he gets to the record the worse it will get.He also has a history of not doing well come playoff time,which likely won't endear him to the press OR the fans.The West Coast suits him much better and has fewer distractions,allowing him to just play.

I think pitchers certainly TRY to pitch around Bonds. Of course, I'm certain that pitchers don't have perfect control and do miss in teh zone, even when they are trying to do this. But pitchers TRY to pitch around lots of guys. What I'm saying is Bonds hits stuff in teh strike zone, and lays off stuff outside the strike zone. I don't care who is hitting behind Bonds, no pitcher in baseball is gonna say, hey I don't want to pitch to Giambi, so instead I'm going to throw Bonds a fastball right down the middle. It doesn't work that way.

Again, could you please explain to me why Babe Ruth drew all those walks with Lou Gehrig hitting behind him? Jason Giambi is not Lou Gehrig, and Barry Bonds season last year was just as good as Ruth's best. So why would having Giambi behind him suddenly change things?

That was 80 years ago and tendencies have changed. Maybe the pitchers were too drunk or not as controlled to do that. Maybe they didn't think of it.

I think a pitcher would take an 60% of getting Bonds out and getting 1/3 closer to being out of the inning by throwing him strikes out than the 95% chance of putting him on base for a guy just as good.

I'm not saying Bonds would hit a signifigant number of more homers but common sense shows that if he's thrown more strikes he'd hit more homers over teh course of a season. A pitcher would say "I'm not going to jerk around and give this guy a free pass for Giambi. I'll take my chances with Bonds and not put another duck on the pond for Giambi".

I guess all those analysts, former pitchers, players, and whatnot who talk about pitching around people to get to the next guy are all lying becauase of somethign that happened 80 years ago. What do they know? After all, they only played the games and were the ones actually making the decisions. Doesn't show up in the book so it must not be true.

No Ruth is just the obvious example. Another would be Albert Belle and Frank Thomas. Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez are another. It would also be interesting to check out the A's lineup this year and see what happens to the guys that were ahead of Giambi last year. And that Sosa guy, now that he's got Alou (sorta) and the Crime Dog behind him.

I guess all those analysts, former pitchers, players, and whatnot who talk about pitching around people to get to the next guy are all lying becauase of somethign that happened 80 years ago. What do they know? After all, they only played the games and were the ones actually making the decisions. Doesn't show up in the book so it must not be true.

Actually, I'd say they are wrong not lying. They probably believe that having a guy like Giambi hitting behind you actually makes a big difference. But the facts are that when you actually look at the data, the only thing that changes are the number of intentional walks. So yes, I think Bonds would be intentionally walked less if Giambi was behind him, but other than that, Bonds is still gonna be Barry Bonds and Giambi is still gonna be Giambi. The players batting behind and in front of you ahve large effects on team dependant stats, but not on stats like BA, OBP, SLG, because those numbers are based largely on the individual in questions ability.

Joe Morgan, one of the best baseball players of all time, and a reasonably intelligent guy, has come out and said that speed and awareness are more important than on base percentage for a leadoff hitter. So is it true because he says it?

And what book are you talking about? I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings right now, but I really don't see how that has anything to do with Barry Bonds.

My opinion about Bonds is that by the time he goes to New York, he will not be the threat he is today! That is why I think that they will pitch to him more than some of the other Yankees players if they live up to their potential(s).

Bonds would be loved and adored in New York if he was going to break the record!! And if they have as good a team as they are expected to (considering their track record of acquiring the top free agents along with their big farm names) Bonds won't have to do much in the post season for them to be successful!!

It looks like Bonds doesn't think he will break Aaron's record!!!

Here is the article: http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0423/1373001.html

I love the statement in the article that says that "You intentionally walk me 100-plus times, that's time I lost. I don't have seven more years to make up those differences." That is true...it's hard to make that up!