Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Booing Marian Hossa

As I think about it, I don't know if I've ever really booed anybody. As in making the "boo" sound. I ususally throw out one liners and stuff like that.

As I think about it, I don't know if I've ever really booed anybody. As in making the "boo" sound. I ususally throw out one liners and stuff like that.

I've just chanted "Louuuuuuuuu".

You should cheer Juan Gonzalez. Cheer him for turning down that ridiculous contract the Tigers offered him. If he had there would have been no 2006 World Series. It would have guaranteed another decade of misery.

I'm glad he didn't take that contract but everyone with an ounce of sense knew he wouldn't. He didn't want to come to Detroit, he didn't want to stay in Detroit, and he couldn't leave fast enough.

I will not cheer that he turned down the contract. I justify booing him for the way he didn't play during his tenure in Detroit.

He's a Chicago Blackhawk now, so I see nothing wrong in booing him for that. Booing him because he left to sign a much more lucrative deal is really, really weak tea, though.

I'm glad he didn't take that contract but everyone with an ounce of sense knew he wouldn't. He didn't want to come to Detroit, he didn't want to stay in Detroit, and he couldn't leave fast enough.

I will not cheer that he turned down the contract. I justify booing him for the way he didn't play during his tenure in Detroit.

Biff he scored 40 gaols..7th in the NHL and 6 playoff goals more than Datsuyk..a little confused by the disappointment.

Biff he scored 40 gaols..7th in the NHL and 6 playoff goals more than Datsuyk..a little confused by the disappointment.

I'm referring to Juan Gonzalez. Sorry for the confusion.

I was raised to believe that it was disrespectful to boo or heckle athletes because they are professionals, and they deserve some respect because of that.

Surely you are not implying that "professional" hockey players are on an equal footing to real professionals such as doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors. Or are you?

I'm not for or against heckling. To each their own. I prefer sitting on the comfy couch in front of a respectable television set within close proximity of the line-less bathroom and cold fridge. I couldn't possibly be bothered to be there live so that I could be judged by fellow moron fans willing to spend the money.

Surely you are not implying that "professional" hockey players are on an equal footing to real professionals such as doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors. Or are you?

I did not imply anything.

But, since you asked, I think:

a. Professional athletes are highly skilled individuals,

b. I think the vast majority of professional athletes worked, and work, extremely hard to achieve and maintain their level of play,

c. I think the term "professional" can be applied to anyone who takes their craft seriously and acts professionally,

d. I was raised to respect anyone who works hard and does the best they can,

e. I was raised to presume someone is a professional until they demonstrate otherwise.

I am an engineer. I do not think I am more of a professional than an athlete (or anyone, for that matter) by virtue of my education or by virtue of if* my work might derives a larger benefit for society on the whole than others'. It is entirely possible for an athlete to be more of a professional than I. In fact, I strongly suspect some are. I also strongly suspect some are about 100% horse-bleep.

*note: I am not claiming my work does derive more benefit for society than an athlete. I have no clue. I am just trying to express the thought that I do not equate deriving a large benefit for society as something I require to consider someone else a professional.

As a side bar, IMHO, some of the most professional people I work with are technicians who have no formal education beyond high school, and I have worked with some pretty un-professional engineers.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth