Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Booing Marian Hossa

Funny, fans booed the hell out of Fedorov.

They booed Hossa last night.

But when Shanahan came back they cheered like crazy.

Maybe a little anti-Euro bias on the part of some Wings fans.

Shanahan played the bulk of his career with the Wings, and spent the prime of his career with us. When he left, he was what, 36 or so? His career was winding down anyways.

Fedorov left & went to the Ducks, who many Wings fans already hated, and he did so after turning down a pretty big contract that the Wings offered him.

People booing Hossa is kind of ridiculous IMO, but it was bound to happen when he left for anywhere, and going to Chicago just makes that worse.

I don't think that comparing Fedorov & Hossa leaving to Shanahan when he left is a good comparison at all though.

Curtis Granderson has been my favorite MLB player for years, but I'm sure going to boo him now that he's a Yankee

Really? REALLY? I mean...............REALLY????????????

I would boo Hossa because he plays for the Chicago Blackhawks

I would boo Steve Yzerman if he played for the Chicago Blackhawks

Ok, so you hate the Blackhawks. So what? Come on sports fanz. There's gotta be something more out there to do than booing your chosen hated team.

Were Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille "rentals"? Heck, Dominic Hasek did the Brett Favre before Brett Favre did. Even though they won cups here when you think of those guys historically it shouldn't be as Red Wings.

The Wings knew what they were getting with Hossa. It was a business move on both sides. "Let's give this a go for one year and see what happens." It was a one night stand between consenting parties.

Haha. Very well stated. But the other half is this --- should he be considered a Red Wing? No I don't think so. But was I glad to have him wearing red and white? Yes. Once you accept that he was basically a rental for a year, then you have to accept that he's now a Blackhawk. I have no love or animosity Good luck to him now. Better luck to the Red Wings (they are going to need it).

Steve Yzerman wouldn't be Steve Yzerman if he went and played for the Blackhawks.

Yes he would. He'd just be SY in a BHs uniform. Probably still be a great NHLer Sorry I don't get your point. Unless you're referring to the standing he has with the DRW which is a given. But whether his career was with the Hawks or the Canadiens, either team would have been better because of him.

Edit: Thank goodness we had him. The Red Wings would not have been the Red Wings without him ..lol.

I really don't understand booing Hossa. Fedorov, I can sort of get it even if I don't approve. But it's not like Hossa spent most of his career here and then jilted the Wings for more money elsewhere. I probably wouldn't even boo him then.

Obviously I wouldn't do the personal "boo a guy everytime he touches the ball/puck" stuff, but when I go to a game I certainly plan on booing every member of the opposing team, regardless of their past.

I definitely agree that singling out a guy like Hossa is stupid, but I also don't think he deserves any special treatment, I'd boo him just as much as any other top player on a team I don't like.

Just another reason why a majority of Detroiters who attend games at the Joe are some of the dumbest hockey fans around. I'm amazed every game I go to how many times the morons hoot and holler at the ref when the call he makes is actually correct.

This isn't the 50's & 60's, players don't stay with one team anymore. If Hossa had made disparaging remarks about the city or organization I could somewhat see booing him. But to boo him because he signed elsewhere as a free agent is plain moronic.

Idiots.

When a player goes to a hated rival, he is going to get booed. It's one of the things I learn when I lurk at the JaytheJoke site.

That's the way it is, and that's the way it's going to be.

I had no problem with anyone booing Hossa. ChicagoGirl would call it being "sophisciated" when one boos the other players.

Stupid. They wouldn't have made it to Game 7 of the SCF without Hossa.

So where was he in Game 7? It ain't mean a thing if you don't win a ring.

Edited by Timberwolf

It ain't mean a thing if you don't win a ring.

Dumbest expression in sports. So in the past 40 years, in all of its hockey, baseball, football and basketball seasons, Minnesota's only 2 meaningful seasons were baseball 1987 and baseball 1991? Hossa didn't win Game 7 but he didn't lose Game 7 either - many Wings had off nights for whatever reason that night.

Count me in the group that doesn't understand booing or heckling the opposition.

I was raised to believe that it was disrespectful to boo or heckle athletes because they are professionals, and they deserve some respect because of that.

Fast forward 25 or 30 years, well, I guess I don't understand the appeal of booing or heckling. I don't find it fun or liberating or anything. Usually, it sounds annoying to me when others do it, so I presume it probably sounds annoying to others when I do it. That written, I understand others seem to enjoy it, so I just ignore it and don't let it interfere with my enjoyment of the game unless the individual is downright vulgar.

I suppose if a player does something underhanded or makes a dirty play or something, I probably would boo at that. That stated, it really doesn't happen all that often.

Just my opinion. I understand lots of people do it and seem to enjoy it. I don't think less of anyone who does it, as long as they keep it reasonably clean. If someone is clever with a heckle, I'll get a chuckle out of it. But it just isn't my bag in general.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

So where was he in Game 7? It ain't mean a thing if you don't win a ring.

Where was Joe Mauer when it counted?

Clearly he isn't a valuable player (or at least he isn't as valuable as Phil Coke) by the, "it doesn't mean a thing if you don't win a ring" line of logic.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I would not boo Hossa..as stated, he came for one year to win the cup..he took the pay cut of history to do it..I just wish he would of gone to the Eastern conference

I like booing or heckling if it's done right and good natured.... It adds some spice to the game.

Even Juan Gonzalez?

I never booed Juan Gonzalez, nor have I any desire to boo Juan.

Other than play one not so great season for the Tigers(lots of players have not so great seasons), I had / have no reason to boo him. It isn't his fault he was traded for.

Juan turned down a contract that would have severely hindered the Tigers for years. His lack of business sense, or unwillingness to play in Detroit, really saved the Tigers bacon, and may have also hastened Randy Smith's exit as GM. So I don't think Juan hurt the Tigers, or really did anything that causes me to actively dislike him.

I do think he is a tool, but lots of people are tools, and I don't boo them.

I like booing or heckling if it's done right and good natured.... It adds some spice to the game.

That's cool - I can appreciate a good heckle (though I will suggest they are fairly rare).

I strongly suspect I am in the minority with my general dislike of booing / heckling, but figured I would share my thoughts on the topic. I don't think less of anyone who enjoys it - it simply isn't my bag - nothing more or nothing less.

Where was Joe Mauer when it counted?

Clearly he isn't a valuable player (or at least he isn't as valuable as Phil Coke) by the, "it doesn't mean a thing if you don't win a ring" line of logic.

I agree that this is a stupid line of thought, but Hossa was pre-recent hot streak Bertuzziesque in the playoffs last year. It certainly seems like that was only because he was playing hurt, but it was brutal to watch at the time.

I agree that this is a stupid line of thought, but Hossa was pre-recent hot streak Bertuzziesque in the playoffs last year. It certainly seems like that was only because he was playing hurt, but it was brutal to watch at the time.

I really don't think Hossa played all that much poorly than any number of Red Wings, and, as you pointed out, he was hurt. So I don't see any good reason to get on him for not winning the Stanley Cup last year.

He had a good series against Anaheim but yes, otherwise was sub-par by his standards. If he had managed somehow to score just 1 goal in either Game 6 or Game 7 versus the Penguins, we could be talking about a different Stanley Cup winner last year. Still, he put up better numbers in last year's playoffs than Datsyuk. And if people are going to credit Datsyuk for "being dangerous, just not getting the bounces" then I'd say Hossa appeared equally as dangerous throughout the playoffs.

Even Juan Gonzalez?

You should cheer Juan Gonzalez. Cheer him for turning down that ridiculous contract the Tigers offered him. If he had there would have been no 2006 World Series. It would have guaranteed another decade of misery.