Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Booing Marian Hossa

Idiots.

This guy passed up an 81 million dollar contract to play here for a year so he could win a Stanley Cup. He came one game short, and no, he didn't play well in the finals, but he scored 40 goals in the regular season and had some big goals up until the finals. It wasn't for a lack of effort.

I'm sure if the idiots booing him tonight were offered three times the money for the same job they are doing now they would just walk away. Not saying you have to cheer him, but booing him? Ridiculous.

I hate Hossa. I never wanted him to be a Red Wing. I'm from Ontario and I seen him play so many years during the Battle of Ontario rival days between Toronto and Ottawa. He was an embarrassment those years in the play-offs and was under HUGE scrutiny in the Canadian media. The play-offs is where it counts, period! Hossa has performed better in the last couple of post-seasons, but you try telling that to an Ottawa Senators fan.

I never wanted him to resign here, and I knew it was obvious there was no chance of it happening. He took a pay cut to come win a cup and I respect that, even if it wasn't for the Red Wings it's great to see players who want to win. The fact that I've hated him basically his entire career and now that he's on our rival makes him my Most Hated Player in the league.

I think another fact that made me hate Hossa last year was how much attention he got. Talking forwards only and Nick aside, this is Datsyuk and Zetterbergs team. Maybe it was because I knew Hossa would only be here for 1 year and I never really thought of him as a Red Wing, or maybe I just wanted to make sure to let everyone know that Pav and Z are better than Hossa, but I sure had a lot of hate towards Hossa last year.

I will boo him and encourage every other Red Wing fan to do the same every time he plays Detroit for the next 12 years.

I will boo him and encourage every other Red Wing fan to do the same every time he plays Detroit for the next 12 years.

Haha, Epp, I hear ya, that's your right. As one poster on another site talking about booing said, it's only booing, it's not like anyone is asking for the death penalty or something. Yeah, he used to disappear come playoff time for Ottawa Although I would say that was not for lack of trying but because he at that point in his career, like many Sens, didn't know how to adjust between open-iced regular season play and tighter playoff hockey. He had a great '08 playoffs though - he would have won the Conn Smythe if the Pens had upset the Wings.

I think another fact that made me hate Hossa last year was how much attention he got. Talking forwards only and Nick aside, this is Datsyuk and Zetterbergs team. Maybe it was because I knew Hossa would only be here for 1 year and I never really thought of him as a Red Wing, or maybe I just wanted to make sure to let everyone know that Pav and Z are better than Hossa, but I sure had a lot of hate towards Hossa last year.

You are the kind of fan that is embarrassing to sit next to at a game.

Haha, wow. Agreed with OP btw. Some of you Wings fans are too damn emotional.

Never really thought of him as a Red Wing? What the hell are you talking about?

I really hate sports fans. It's why I can't talk sports with people. I hardly know anyone who actually wants to discuss the team, instead of people who are like "Wings suck! What happened to them??" I bet some people blame Hossa too for their lack of success this year. Idiots.

I'm the opposite of EO. I've always been a huge Hossa fan. I was giddy when the Wings signed him, and really hoped (but didn't expect) that they would resign him to some weird deal that would make him stay. I was really bummed when the Hawks signed him, I don't want him against the Wings in the division. I wouldn't boo him, I think it is really stupid when fans boo certain players that leave, unless they somehow really screwed the team or talk badly about them. Even then, booing someone when they touch the puck seems a bit childish. The most I'll do is tell my Blackhawks fan friends that they won't win a cup for the next 12 years guaranteed!

You are the kind of fan that is embarrassing to sit next to at a game.

Definetly not. I'm pretty reserve actually, just talking about the game but never really getting too roudy. I played junior, college and semi pro hockey. I'm not bragging or trying to be arrogant, but the fact of the matter is that I understand the game probably better than 90% of the fans in there and so I'm definetly not that embarrassing fan that you sit next to at a game. Thanks for coming out though.....

I think I'm going to change my signature to "Boo Hossa" while I'm at it, haha.

Haha, wow. Agreed with OP btw. Some of you Wings fans are too damn emotional.

Never really thought of him as a Red Wing? What the hell are you talking about?

I really hate sports fans. It's why I can't talk sports with people. I hardly know anyone who actually wants to discuss the team, instead of people who are like "Wings suck! What happened to them??" I bet some people blame Hossa too for their lack of success this year. Idiots.

The fact that it was obvious he was only going to be playing for the Wings for 1 season made it feel like a rental. Unlike other people who were living in this magical wonderland and thought the Wings would lock Hossa up long term.

And maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowds if you have no one who wants to discuss the team. Maybe the fact that you dont like talking sports with people is part of your problem of finding intelligent fans to converse with. Just a suggestion.

But what makes a Red Wing? Are we really that pretentious like Yankee fans that a "true Red Wing" has to win a cup with us?

Also, I have a few friends that discuss the team, but the majority don't know anything about hockey. I love talking sports with people, just not when they tell me Abdelkader is the next Adam Oates.

But what makes a Red Wing? Are we really that pretentious like Yankee fans that a "true Red Wing" has to win a cup with us?

Also, I have a few friends that discuss the team, but the majority don't know anything about hockey. I love talking sports with people, just not when they tell me Abdelkader is the next Adam Oates.

No I don't mean to the extent that Yankee fans take it, I just truely felt like he was a 1 year rental, which he was.

And your second paragraph made me laugh. There are many many dumb Red Wing fans and I understand what you mean. I just try to find some of strongest fans, and wheather I'm good friends with them or not, I'll still invite them over for a game and for sure call them over for the play-offs. I'm lucky as well because I come from a hockey family and everyone is die hard Red Wings. There'll be a couple Wings jerseys being worn at family Christmas tonight for sure.

My hate towards Hossa starts WAY before he became a Wing. I wasn't that guy who just bashed him all season long because obviously I understand he still has world class talent. But everyone has a player they hate, and mine is Hossa.

I would boo Hossa because he plays for the Chicago Blackhawks

I would boo Steve Yzerman if he played for the Chicago Blackhawks

As long as you hated him beforehand, that's fine I guess.

Also shame on pyrotigers. I'd never boo Steve Yzerman.

As long as you hated him beforehand, that's fine I guess.

Also shame on pyrotigers. I'd never boo Steve Yzerman.

Steve Yzerman wouldn't be Steve Yzerman if he went and played for the Blackhawks.

Oh don't get me wrong, the minute he left the Blackhawks he'd be a legend again, but anytime a player leaves for a rival (even if the Blackhawks have sucked for so long until just recently) they have to expect some hate.

Curtis Granderson has been my favorite MLB player for years, but I'm sure going to boo him now that he's a Yankee, it doesn't mean I don't like him as a person....but he's a Yankee!

Oh don't get me wrong, the minute he left the Blackhawks he'd be a legend again, but anytime a player leaves for a rival (even if the Blackhawks have sucked for so long until just recently) they have to expect some hate.

Curtis Granderson has been my favorite MLB player for years, but I'm sure going to boo him now that he's a Yankee, it doesn't mean I don't like him as a person....but he's a Yankee!

If I decide to actually go to a Tigers game this year it will be when the Yankees are in town - to be part of the standing O Curtis is gonna get.

Funny, fans booed the hell out of Fedorov.

They booed Hossa last night.

But when Shanahan came back they cheered like crazy.

Maybe a little anti-Euro bias on the part of some Wings fans.

Were Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille "rentals"? Heck, Dominic Hasek did the Brett Favre before Brett Favre did. Even though they won cups here when you think of those guys historically it shouldn't be as Red Wings.

The Wings knew what they were getting with Hossa. It was a business move on both sides. "Let's give this a go for one year and see what happens." It was a one night stand between consenting parties.

Were Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille "rentals"? Heck, Dominic Hasek did the Brett Favre before Brett Favre did. Even though they won cups here when you think of those guys historically it shouldn't be as Red Wings.

The Wings knew what they were getting with Hossa. It was a business move on both sides. "Let's give this a go for one year and see what happens." It was a one night stand between consenting parties.

Exactly. When they signed Zetterberg and Franzen to those extensions Hossa was gone there was no way they could keep him. Just remember that he turned down 81 MILLION to come here. He could not turn down that sort of money and security again, that would have been insane. Nobody in the Red Wings organization has a bad thing to say about the guy and Hossa hasn't said one negative thing about his experience here. Nobody slighted anybody, but I guess certain fans know more than them.