DTroppens

Archieved Detroit Tiger Radio Broadcasts

I thought I'd make an initial post here about one of my favorite pasttimes. I love listening to old Detroit Tigers radio broadcasts. I enjoy television broadcasts, but the majority of what collect is older radio broadcasts - mainly because I know there are companies that legally can sell the product.

None of my older cassettes (they are all cassettes) are anything impossible to find out there. Still, I'd be interested in making trades with anyone that wants to make one. Many of my "current" collection are games I personally tapes. Most of my older stuff was professionally copied by the companies I purchased the cassettes from. However, despite that fact, many of the tapes are tough to understand at times, and occasionally I notice innings missing. Remember, the tapings can only be as good as the reception of the initial producer of the tapes. Most of the games are from the Detroit broadcasting crew of the time. Many of the Yankees' ones are Yankee broadcasts. And while it's almost immoral to do this, I'll have to admit, I love Phil Rizzuto broadcasts. He's very entertaining to listen to.

When I get a chance I'll try to type the games I have in this thread. The problem I have right now, is I lost my original list of games on an old computer. I have a reasonably current hardcopy, but I'd have to retype it. I'll try my best to sneak it in. But if you have any games of interest, ask. I may have it. I'd love to make a trade for either another radio game, a TV game or maybe something else. Give this thread a ring, or PM me.

Dave sent me a tape several years ago, the clinching game from 1972 season against the Red Sox. Very cool stuff.

There are quite a few available.

A few radio broadcasts from the 1934, 35, 45 World Series are available. The entire 1968 World Series is also available. In addition to the 1934 Tigers-Yankees game, starting in 1959, there are on average a couple of regular season games a year that have been preserved. There are none from 64 and 66 but quite a few from 1968,72,76,77,and 78 that are available. I'd say I have about 70 regular season games from 1959 to 1978 on CD or mp3 (by 1979 the VCR became popular so interest in taping radio broadcasts waned) many of which are on the Yankee network but there are some broadcasted by Harwell. There are also a few by the Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox and Indians announcers. I can send you a list if you like.

Edited by kschwi

With the baseball season approaching, I am looking to trade for old Tiger radio broadcasts to listen to. I have over 100 games from 1934-1991 to trade.