vannzee

Dolsi and minor league signings

Per MLBtraderumors.com,

The White Sox have claimed RP Freddy Dolsi off waivers and free agents LHP Phil Dumtrait and 1B Jason Stokes have signed minor league deals.

Per MLBtraderumors.com,

The White Sox have claimed RP Freddy Dolsi off waivers and free agents LHP Phil Dumtrait and 1B Jason Stokes have signed minor league deals.

Oh how I hope Freddie will be the closer against the Tigers!

Per MLBtraderumors.com,

If Don Cooper can fix Freddie , he deserves immediate HOF induction.

For those who were as confused as I was but don't want to do the sluething that I did:

* - The White Sox claimed Dolsi off waivers

* - The Tigers signed Stokes and Dumatrait

On to the actual topic at hand, with Larish and Roberson in the system, could the signing of Stokes mean one or both of their careers in the organization are over? I find it hard to believe they'd sign him to be their DH.

Jeez, in that baseball card photo Stokes looks like Mr. Magoo.

I clicked on that link to Baseball Cube that Vannzee posted, and he hasn't been in double figures in HR's since 2004. Since 2004, he's had more than 60 AB's in only 1 season. Also, there's nothing posted for 2008 or 2009. So, I guess he's either been playing indy, or stocking shelves (although The Cube has certainly been known to be less than 100% accurate). He'll be 28 in January, and he hits righthanded. So, why did they sign him? No idea. So as for Mr. Mal's post which questioned the job security of Larish and Roberson, I agree that they are in jeopardy, well earned, but I don't think that this guy will be the reason.

Mr. and Mrs. Stokes if you are reading this, gosh talk some sense into your son. He needs to get started on a career. Seriously.

I clicked on that link to Baseball Cube that Vannzee posted, and he hasn't been in double figures in HR's since 2004. Since 2004, he's had more than 60 AB's in only 1 season. Also, there's nothing posted for 2008 or 2009. So, I guess he's either been playing indy, or stocking shelves (although The Cube has certainly been known to be less than 100% accurate). He'll be 28 in January, and he hits righthanded. So, why did they sign him? No idea. So as for Mr. Mal's post which questioned the job security of Larish and Roberson, I agree that they are in jeopardy, well earned, but I don't think that this guy will be the reason.

Mr. and Mrs. Stokes if you are reading this, gosh talk some sense into your son. He needs to get started on a career. Seriously.

I think he missed all that time due to various injuries.

Dolsi,that`s the only one they took!?To me,I think the Sox have just helped our batting averages during the head-to-head games this year.Couldn`t they have taken Robertson and Willis to?

Dolsi had a like 1.5 ERA last season. How did that happen?

He only pitched 10 innings and ERA does not work as well for relievers b/c they don't always come in with the bases empty. He could allow runs and not be charged for them.

Stokes has been retired since the middle of the 2007 season, and is only now returning to the game; reportedly healthy for the first time in years.

He's battled thumb, hand, and wrist injuries that required multiple surgeries, groin injuries that forced him out of action, and a back injury that ultimately sent him to retirement.

Honestly, this is nearly a no-cost gamble by the Tigers, and one that is absolutely worth taking. This is a player DD and his staff are familiar with, having scouted him and drafted him with the Marlins in 2000, and when healthy, he's a legit power hitting threat.....why not take that gamble; worst case scenario is you bring him to camp, he gets hurt or doesn't hit, and you cut him...there's nothing lost here, and it's just as good a gamble for Stokes as well...because if healthy, he knows he can hit and likely knows he still has a future in the game.

He only pitched 10 innings and ERA does not work as well for relievers b/c they don't always come in with the bases empty. He could allow runs and not be charged for them.

Great point, thanks for the knowledge.