Eric Cioe

Max Scherzer

Scherzer should benefit from the expereince of having Laird behind the plate. Laird demonstrated a great feel for calling and handling pitchers.

Is Laird signed for 2010? Did he get a 2-year deal? I don't recall.

Question for you knowledgeable posters: Who will have the better career? Phil Hughes or Max Scherzer?

I have a serious yearning for Hughes on the Tigers, and that's who I wanted them to focus on when the Yankees' interest in Granderson became apparent. But I'm a big Scherzer fan, too, so I'm psyched that he's a Tiger.

To answer your question, I'm going to cop out and call it a wash. I think they're both exceptional young pitchers, but so many factors can affect a career. Scherzer's the one I'm rooting for now, of course.

Yes, yes. A lot of attention from this trade has been on Austin Jackson because he plays Granderson's position, but Scherzer is the centerpiece of the deal. Pitchers of his ability certainly aren't traded very often this early in their careers.

I agree Scherzer is the centerpiece of the deal. He may have durability issues but Jurrjens was supposed to have them too which is why I think the Tigers traded him. I don't think Scherzer is the slam dunk some are saying but he is the one player coming back that I think has the most chance to help the Tigers short term and long term.

Question for you knowledgeable posters: Who will have the better career? Phil Hughes or Max Scherzer?

Hughes added that upper 80s cutter this year that took him to the next level. He's good. Is he durable? I don't know. His arm action doesn't look very comfortable, but mechanics are probably a secondary concern to individual biology.

I like them both but only one of them has a full season of pretty good MLB starting pitching under his belt.

Could the increase in Verlander's use of the fastball be at least in part to him adding the mystery cutter?

I bet cluck was an awesome instructor to learn from..my son threw with Ken Howell for 5 years, Ken was unbelievable..he also threw with Geoff Zahn for a winter..Geoff was like the zen master.

Ive heard that about Geoff Zahn from a player I coached who had worked with him in the past but have never worked or even met him myself.

While at Clucks San Diego Baseball school for a visit I got to meet Tony Gwynn who stepped in during a baserunning drill to offer was expertise. I will never forget that along with his advise. He said to watch the pitchers *** while getting your leadoff. If you see his *** tense he is coming to first. I wish I would have had an opportunity to hit with him but he had just made a brief appearance

Cluck never used the phrase "pitch to contact" when I worked with him, he was teaching how to get hitters out and a set of pitching rules to follow on the mound. ie make your pitch at 2 and 2 not on a full count, never give into the hitter, make him hit your pitch, etc etc. We spent the bulk of the time on mechanics - fine tuning my curve and change, getting rid of my slider which was flat anyways. It was awesome instruction for a 15-17 year old

I've been watching that video for about five minutes now and I can't BELIEVE that batter keeps swinging at the same pitch. No wonder this dude looks like a million bucks.

I know the feeling. It's hypnotic.

Could the increase in Verlander's use of the fastball be at least in part to him adding the mystery cutter?

No. His cutter/slider comes in 5 or 6 mph slower than the fastball. It's really a pretty easy pitch to pick out, though towards the end of the year as his changeup (and everything else) picked up velocity towards 87 I guess it would be hard to tell the change and slider apart based on velocity alone.

Anybody know how Scherzer pronounces his name? I've been saying SHARE-tser, like the Germans would pronounce it, but it may be pronounced SHER-zer, with a soft Z just like buzz.

Anybody know how Scherzer pronounces his name? I've been saying SHARE-tser, like the Germans would pronounce it, but it may be pronounced SHER-zer, with a soft Z just like buzz.
Everybody on the boob tube has been using the second one Bruce, although I could swear I've also heard SHIRTS-er ? Edited by DaYooperASBDT

Eric, you would know this better than I, and I can't figure out an answer for the life of me:

How would a pitcher like Verlander go about trying to cut down on foul balls to go deeper in games?

Here is an article about foul balls and pitchers.

Breaking Down a Pitcher’s Stuff: Fastball Velocity | Statistically Speaking

For the rate of foul balls per swing, there is a clear upward, linear trend until 95 mph, where the graph falls at a pretty steep rate.

Foul balls are one of the last unexplored realms of baseball statistical analysis. Hopefully Hit F/X will be able to give us some useful data, but until then, I’ll be waiting. Also, why do we only measure foul balls when they are caught by a fielder? Otherwise, they wouldn’t even be counted as a ball in play. There’s a lot we can learn about the batter-pitcher interaction by foul balls, but there is very little information out there. It would be a great leap forward if there were some good studies on foul ball data.

But, back to the graph. There isn’t a strong linear trend on the graph because of its parabolic shape. However, the correlation coefficient between 85 and 95 mph is .97949, which is an incredibly strong correlation.

This is a very important point when analyzing the success of soft-tossing pitchers. For pitchers who throw at low velocities, it is important to note that by getting fewer fouls, they are essentially giving away free strikes. These batted balls become balls in play, while for pitchers at higher velocities, the batter now has one additional strike on them, with a great chance for a strikeout. Besides the low swing and miss totals, these low-velocity pitchers have fewer strikes in their favor.

As to why there is a sharp downward trend in the data after 95 mph, I’m not totally sure as to why, though I do have a hypothesis. One, is to think of the graph not in terms of foul or non-foul, but in terms of being late on a pitch. While some of these fouls are going to be pulled, the fact that it is dictated by velocity means that the ones affected by velocity are those that the batter is late on. Therefore, as the velocity goes up, the batter will be late on the pitch to a greater degree. As a result, when the batter gets beyond 95 mph, they are no longer late and fouling off the pitch, but they are late for a swing and miss. This probably has something to do with the exponential increase in swing and misses for high velocities.

This may not change the end result of the at-bat too much, as a strike is still a strike whether its a whiff or a foul; though, higher velocities will have more 2 strike swing and misses (for a K), while lower velocities have longer 2-strike at-bats, due to the at-bat staying alive. The lower velocities will probably have more foul-outs as a result, however.

Basically, Verlander gets a lot of foul balls b/c of the velocity with which he throws. Batters are late on his pitches and have to foul them off. Soft tossing pitchers don't really have this problem, but they do allow more balls in play.

Edited by Scottwood

I've always called him SHER-zer.

max-787607.jpg

And what about Schlereth?

Anyone remember Peggy Marshall's and Cindy ____'s show from the 70's (I can't instant recall it for some reason...)? And the ditty they started out with?

"Schlemiel, Schlafazo...???"

And what about Schlereth?

Anyone remember Peggy Marshall's and Cindy ____'s show from the 70's (I can't instant recall it for some reason...)? And the ditty they started out with?

"Schlemiel, Schlafazo...???"

Schlereth's names is pronounced just like his very famous daddy's name.

Cindy Williams.

Laverne and Shirley.

Schlereth's names is pronounced just like his very famous daddy's name.

Cindy Williams.

Laverne and Shirley.

I was just being "smart" on Schlereth...

And thanks for jogging my rapidly deteriating memory...

:grin: