HR/FB: 10.4%

FIP: 3.87

F-Strike%: 61.3%

Fastball: 93.6 mph, 71.0%

Slider: 85.0 mph, 12.4%

Changeup: 84.3 mph, 16.7%

Here's his changeup, by the bye:

scherzerchange.gif

So, what do you think? Are you convinced he'll stay in the rotation? Do you find his delivery problematic? Are you worried about his repertoire?

I'm excited to see him live. I think trying to guess whether or not a pitcher will stay healthy based solely on his delivery is problematic...

It seems as if Knapp has been able to help many of our pitchers (granted it is a small sample size) so hopefully he can increase Scherzer's productiveness.

What exactly about his delivery worries people?

he certainly does not finish in a good fielding position. hellooooo comebackers...

I certainly can't tell if that delivery is troublesome regarding injuries. Trust the scouts on that one.....it looks different, that's for sure.

If Scherzer was 'prospect eligible' heading into 2009....I think a couple people might have had him rated higher than David Price.....with most maybe just a notch below. Certainly the numbers that matter are there, so hopefully he and Knapp can find the way to translate that into effectiveness.

BTW, how is it that people can have so different WPA/LI and WAR values? I noticed it with Lyon and now Scherzer:

Max Scherzer » Statistics » Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

Brandon Lyon » Statistics » Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

I'm excited to see him live.

Better than being dead right? :silly:

Kidding aside, I'm not honestly sure what to think. The ERA was pretty good. You hear a lot of how he was 5-6 inning pitcher, and how his elbow is suspect and could be a career relief pitcher and that he had TJ surgery in HS. I think he could be really good in the not so distant future or out of baseball all together.

Edited by whitesox901

Based on that video, I'm pretty sure he'll win the Cy Young.

With the slow loading times I am getting this evening it really looked like the Bugs Bunny change.

DD was quoted in Lynn Henning's column on Thursday - in reference to Scherzer's head-snapping - saying that the Diamondbacks "did a nice of job of fixing". Scherzer is a work in progress and I no reason not to be optimistic about him.

A couple years ago I had the Extra Innings package and remember watching (for some reason) Max Scherzer's major league debut. I've been in love ever sense. The kid has some serious "stuff".

I fully expect him to be an improvement over Jackson by 2011, if not next year.

I don't like that spring in his knee at the end at all. Seems like a hyperextension waiting to happen.

That is the preferred nomenclature. You'd prefer he not be stiff-legged.

I don't like that spring in his knee at the end at all. Seems like a hyperextension waiting to happen.

It's more like a "skid" or a "lateral slide".

I agree. Wet mound, hyperextension.

Zimm is also right with that bad fielding position... hopefully he doesn't give up too many rockets through the middle...

I'm not an expert... but I don't see shoulder or elbow strain with that motion. Just a guess...

Well, he certainly sucks eh?

Dang, that looks like a Fernando Rodney changeup, lefty batters can't possibly hit that.

I know little on the subject, but that is definitely not the smoothest delivery.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

It's more like a "skid" or a "lateral slide".

I agree. Wet mound, hyperextension.

Zimm is also right with that bad fielding position... hopefully he doesn't give up too many rockets through the middle...

I'm not an expert... but I don't see shoulder or elbow strain with that motion. Just a guess...

It's hard to tell with that clip. You don't really get a good look at the arm angle or where the elbow is when his glove side foot is planted.

I think one of his mechanical problems was his head-whip. In the clip you can kind of see it at the end, but it used to be more exagerrated. Arizona did help with this, because it is less noticable than when he was at Missouri.

Wow! That changeup is flat nasty, actually there is nothing flat about it. I don't know anything about pitching mechanics, but hopefully we can fix any issues without too much change. We definitely don't need another D-Train mechanics change on our hands.

With Scherzer posting the numbers he did last year, I think he's in line for a couple of tweaks here and there, instead of a complete fix.

Edit: And maybe Phil Coke can help with those tweaks.

Edited by TheCouga
to insert really lame joke

I like the action he gets on that change-up. I'd like to see his motion in regular speed instead of the slow-mo of that clip. He has a weird motion twisting his lower left leg. I'd worry about repeatability with that. Someone mentioned hyextension. I'd also worry about twisting his left ankle.

Just found some slow motion side view of Verlander's mechanics. They're pretty. Compared to Scherzer, look at how solid his left foot stays. His arm action is pretty much perfect. It looks very similar to guys who pitched a lot of innings: Maddux, Clemens, etc. If the big deal that people make out of an elbow being below shoulder level at foot plant is true (and it probably is), then Verlander's pretty much perfect. His stride is also longer than it looks, and that probably means he's generating more power with his legs than it looks like.

I think Scherzer's front foot problems are probably pretty easily fixable. I'm not worried about him not being a good fielder. It just isn't a big deal to me unless you're a fringey guy to begin with and it helps bring your game up to an acceptable level of mediocrity.