MotorCityOrangeman

Pistons to face Carmelo at the Carrier Dome

Carmelo in Dome one more time

Tickets go on sale Sunday for Denver Nuggets' exhibition game here in October.

August 08, 2003

By Mike Waters

Staff writer, Syracuse Post-Standard

The last time Carmelo Anthony played in a game at the Carrier Dome, Syracuse fans chanted, "One more year! One more year!" When 25,000 fans showed up at the Carrier Dome to celebrate Syracuse's 2003 national championship, the chant was started up again - "One more year! One more year!"

Will one more game do?

Finding it impossible to turn down a three-year, $12 million contract, Anthony entered the NBA Draft. The Denver Nuggets used the draft's No. 3 pick on the 6-foot-8 forward, who garnered every national freshman of the year award last season.

But Anthony will return to Syracuse on Sunday, Oct. 19 as Denver takes on the Detroit Pistons in a preseason game at the Carrier Dome. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. Ticket prices range from $17.50 to $37.50 with VIP courtside seats going for $100. Tickets go on sale locally Aug. 16 at 10 a.m.

Anthony won the Most Outstanding Player award at the Final Four in New Orleans, becoming just the third freshman to earn the award. He shattered every freshman scoring and rebounding record in Syracuse history, averaging 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. He broke Big East records for freshman scoring.

"I can't wait to return to the Carrier Dome and the best basketball fans in the country," Anthony said in a statement released by the game's promoters. "I was only there for one year but it ended up being the greatest year of my life."

Carl Scheer, the former owner of the Charlotte Hornets and the CEO of Scheer Events, brought the game to Syracuse along with his partner Chris Cordes, a native of Cazenovia and a 1981 Syracuse University graduate.

"I don't think there's ever been a player who had more of an impact on the Syracuse program and made more of an impression on the community than Carmelo," Cordes said Thursday.

This will be the seventh NBA preseason game in the Carrier

Dome's history and the first since 1999.

Cordes promoted games at the Dome in 1990 and 1991. The New Jersey Nets and the Miami Heat drew 22,826 fans in 1990. The largest crowd for an NBA preseason game at the Dome is 28,602 for a 1992 game pitting Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls against the New Jersey Nets.

"I think attendance for this event could fall between those two numbers," Cordes said of the 1990 and 1992 games. "Carmelo has a unique relationship with the Syracuse community. Plus, it's a very interesting matchup."

Interesting in that Detroit held the No. 2 pick in last June's draft and bypassed Anthony in favor of 7-foot Yugoslavian teenager Darko Milicic. The Pistons made it to last year's Eastern Conference finals before losing to the Nets. After their season ended, the Pistons fired coach Rick Carlisle and hired Larry Brown of the Philadelphia 76ers.

The game will be Denver's fifth preseason contest. On Oct. 17, the Nuggets will play the Toronto Raptors at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The Nuggets open their regular season on Oct. 29 at home against the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

"Pistons to face Carmelo...." ???

Just Carmelo? He doesn't even need the rest of the Denver team?

Wow.

He MUST walk on water.

Oh my God, lighten up....... (just like you always tell everybody else).

Not EVERYTHING is a shot, MCO.

I was just chuckling at your thread title, for Christ's sake.

Pull the stick out of your butt.

Who gives a SH:confused:T about Carmelo Anthony?

I mean, besides MotorCityOrangeman, of course.

NEWS FLASH: Detroit did not DRAFT Carlmelo!!

DEAL WITH IT!!

MCO,

The Phoenix Suns did the same thing for Dan Majerle the year they drafted him. Seeing him at Rose Arena one last time with NBA players (they played the Nuggets too) was a blast. They even set up the opening tip for a dunk for him.

I wonder if Kaman will have a game at Rose this year?

MotorCityOrangeman

SORRY -- but, the LeBron/Carmelo TALK has been making me sick, of late -- and it's more than the DARKO TALK, trust me. Oh, I don't mean to take it out on you, cause you didn't start it... But, comparing LeBron and Carmelo to MAGIC & BIRD -- is a joke.

You never said that, that I know of...

But, since the TV PEOPLE say it...

It's made me totally sick of hearing about CARMELO ANTHONY, and in this -- a PISTONS forum -- you are ony guilty of bringing up his name, over and over, and over, and over... Lets talk about the Pistons.

:classic:

PEACE

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

It's homecoming weekend as well so they're expecting another over 30,000 crowd at the Dome. I'm going to the Boston College game the day before, if I fly I'll be at this game as well.

I will also be at both games........Can't wait to see 'Melo vs. Darko 1 eventhough its only a pre-season game.