JonBenke

MLB Winter Meetings/Granderson Jackson Trade Thread

Granderson would be huge in New York. He'd hit 40 homers in that band box and with his personality the New York media would build him up the same way they do Jeter. Yes, ask for the moon if the Yankees want him and don't settle for less.

Or, the NY media and fans could turn on him quickly if he has another season like '09 and if the players the Yankees give up pan out.

I think it would be somewhere in between. He wouldn't be vaulted to Jeter status, but wouldn't be vilified, either. He'd probably be liked along the lines of how they like Burnett as an import. Good players, but inconsistent. Not at the head table of NYY stars.

Now, if Grandy were to have some big postseason (especially WS) moments as a Yankee, he'd be revered forever.

I'd have to pause for more than a few seconds and consider it strongly.

I would think about that one also. Maybe NYY adds one more warm body.

I'd have to think Hughes has close to the same trade value as Jackson at this stage?

I'd have to pause for more than a few seconds and consider it strongly.

Thats exactly how I felt, I feel less dirty now. Since it's the Yankees I would hold out a little before I said yes, just because I would think they would sweeten the offer.

But Montero may only be a DH/1B but he and Cabrera in the lineup together..man, that our Mauer/Morneau.

I feel like the Yankees would have to swap Hughes for Joba for me to actually consider trading them both Jackson and Granderson.

Montero has no defensive position, and Jackson has no power. Pass.

Montero's bat is too special not to at least pause and consider; you find a spot in the lineup for players like that, and while Jackson doesn't have big time power, most scouts still project average power for him, to go along with a host of other attributes.

If that deal is on the table, you have to stop and think seriously about talking more with that as the basis....you really do.

Hard to not consider anything with Montero in it. Obviously you'd need more for just those two, but the other names are no slouches. Well...Hughes isn't.

I feel like the Yankees would have to swap Hughes for Joba for me to actually consider trading them both Jackson and Granderson.

I'd take Hughes over Joba. Better body. Montero also concerns me with his lack of plate discipline.

Montero just turned 20 a few days ago. Is it a lock that he can't develop into a decent defensive catcher?

These are all the names that have been linked to Halladay, so if the Yankees were to pull that trigger, there'd be nothing left in the cupboard to deal with us.

Montero just turned 20 a few days ago. Is it a lock that he can't develop into a decent defensive catcher?

These are all the names that have been linked to Halladay, so if the Yankees were to pull that trigger, there'd be nothing left in the cupboard to deal with us.

It's a lock he won't catch at the major league level. If he can do anything, it might be 1b, but he'd be blocked.

Id rather get Hughes and try to pry someone like Arodys Vizcaino from them. a high ceiling strong armed pitcher in low minors to add with Hughes, Jackson and Montero.

They might feel that the lower $$ and youth make Jackson more attractive in the longer term. and/or the possibility of adding another name or two and getting CG in the same deal.

I would not worry about where Montero would play, since the fall back is the DH. He should be able to play LF for several years, before a move would have to happen. He is young enough to a least be a marginal player in the OF.

What does everyone think of Phil Hughes? He has struggled with injuries, possibly mechanics and as a starter. He looked legit as a middle reliever, but in any trade, I would want a SP nto a relief pitcher.

I would not worry about where Montero would play, since the fall back is the DH. He should be able to play LF for several years, before a move would have to happen. He is young enough to a least be a marginal player in the OF.

What does everyone think of Phil Hughes? He has struggled with injuries, possibly mechanics and as a starter. He looked legit as a middle reliever, but in any trade, I would want a SP nto a relief pitcher.

I would not project that Montero could handle LF in Detroit. I love Phil Hughes. I think he's one of the elite young arms in baseball. I think he'll either be a top closer, or a top of the line starter. He has great stuff.

Granderson would be huge in New York. He'd hit 40 homers in that band box and with his personality the New York media would build him up the same way they do Jeter. Yes, ask for the moon if the Yankees want him and don't settle for less.

+1 Best answer by far!

Well yeah, there's only one Derek Jeter. There has never been one like him and there never will be another one. I get that. But in proportion to Derek Jeter's awesomeness, I think they'd build up Granderson big time. :happy:

A repeat of 2009 is not likely especially in that ballpark in that line-up where they can more easily move him around and bench him versus some lefties.

Hughes was making good strides as a starter before they moved him to relief when CMW came back. I believe he's going to be a front-of-the-rotation starter, possibly as early as 2010.

if i'm dealing with the Yanks, i'd be more likely to ask for Gardner than Jackson. Gardner would give us the true leadoff guy we've lacked since Tony Phillips, and plays a great CF.

asking the yanks to give up Gardner instead of Jackson would probably not make it easier for them to part with the Monteros and Hughes we'd want, but perhaps allow us to ask for high ceiling, less advanced players in addition.

if i'm dealing with the Yanks, i'd be more likely to ask for Gardner than Jackson. Gardner would give us the true leadoff guy we've lacked since Tony Phillips, and plays a great CF.

asking the yanks to give up Gardner instead of Jackson would probably not make it easier for them to part with the Monteros and Hughes we'd want, but perhaps allow us to ask for high ceiling, less advanced players in addition.

Not a fan of Gardner. Decent fielder, but I'd like to have SOME power from my leadoff hitter. He has absolutely none of that.

Well yeah, there's only one Derek Jeter. There has never been one like him and there never will be another one. I get that. But in proportion to Derek Jeter's awesomeness, I think they'd build up Granderson big time. :happy:

A repeat of 2009 is not likely especially in that ballpark in that line-up where they can more easily move him around and bench him versus some lefties.

Granderson to Detroit is kind of similar to Jeter to New York. They're both good players but they're both overrated, and their off field image compounds the overrating.

That ballpark could be a detriment, too, if it furthers his goal of pulling every pitch over the RF wall. He could be Nick Swisher with fewer walks.

Gardner will pressed to be a major league regular of any consequence, too weak of a stick, not exactly a great throwing arm either, he's a AAAA or bench player. I mean it isn't exactly difficult to be better than Melky Cabrera, yet the Yankees need a CF and have never considered Gardner a potential regular.

Edited by sportz4life

Tigers, Bucs among those pursuing SS Everett — 12:37 p.m.

The Tigers and Pirates are among the three teams with the most serious interest in shortstop Adam Everett, according to a major league source.

Everett is seeking a one-year deal worth around $3 million. -- Jon Paul Morosi

I'm rooting for the Pirates.

If New York added someone like Arodys Vizcaino I would make that trade easily.

Montero, Hughes, Vizcaino, and Jackson

I might even be willing to throw in another prospect for such a package. (Most likely one of our surplus relief arms)

I understand Vizcaino is young (only 18) but he is the prototypical DD pitcher. Strong, fairly big (6'0" 190 at 18) right handed pitcher who already throws 96-97 and is striking out 11 per 9.

Edited by EchO

Gardner will pressed to be a major league regular of any consequence, too weak of a stick, not exactly a great throwing arm either, he's a AAAA or bench player. I mean it isn't exactly difficult to be better than Melky Cabrera, yet the Yankees need a CF and have never considered Gardner a potential regular.

i'd be more than happy with a CF/leadoff man who can hit .280 with a .350ish obp, steal 30-40 bases and have a UZR/150 around 15.

edit: who would be cheap and under team control for his "prime" years