JonBenke

MLB Winter Meetings/Granderson Jackson Trade Thread

Crawford for Granderson would be a mistake, IMO. I think they will provide similar production, but one is signed for 3 more years with an option for a 4th, the other is going to be a FA in a season.

Crawford is overrated but should produce a little more than Granderson if you include baserunning. Granderson has a much better contract through so the trade makes no sense for the Tigers unless they are going all out to win next year which certainly does not seem to be the case. Anyway, the trade is pure speculation and the writer says so in his article.

If the Tigers came out of the winter meetings adding Sherrill, Pierre and Gregg while losing Jackson and Guillen, .

Don't forget Crosby.....:grin:

What are the odds that the Tigers don't trade Jackson and or Granderson. One has to go, right?

Neither one has to go if they don't get a good offer in return.

All I want is for grandy to stay. I woke up this morning feeling almost kind of sick, because I know if something happens to him it's going to be this week..

like I need ANYthing to make dead week worse than it already is. If Granderson is no longer a tiger before finals.....sigh. I just don't know.

Gregg doesn't excite me, but it's not surprising at all that the Tigers are interested. If they lose both Rodney and Lyon, Leyland's going to want someone back there with closing experience, and the cheaper the better. Gregg walks a lot of guys and the spike in home runs this year killed him. And that wasn't a Wrigley thing as 9 of his 13 HRA were on the road.

All told, I'd rather go young internally than spend anything of note on FA relief and I definitely wouldn't be targeting one as a trade centerpiece. If they could get a guy like Kelley as a smaller part of a package, fine, but definitely nothing crazy like trading a good starter in Jackson for a reliever (Sherrill).

I mentioned this in another thread, I hope DD is patient making a deal for Jackson, he will become more and more attractive to other teams as alternatives disappear.

Remind me to never, ever, ever read the comments section at mlbtraderumors.

I always do, every bit of explanation on the Elias stuff helps.

If the Yankees really want Granderson, I really want Phil Hughes on the Tigers. Grandy is my favorite Tiger position player, but I'm tired of hearing how we can't trade him because he's such a good guy. Yes he is, but seeing his regression this year, on the heels of his horrible end to 2008, this is probably the last chance to get a team to overpay for him. If a team's not going to overpay, I'd keep him, happily. I believe he's going to improve somewhat next year, but he's far from untouchable.

Most importantly, I think Hughes is going to be a phenomenal starter, and acquiring him would also make it easier to trade Jackson for hitting. I'm not talking CG-PH straight up, but Hughes being part of a bigger package.

Curtis Granderson

Curtis Granderson-OF- Tigers Dec. 7 - 11:19 am et

Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes that according to a club interested in Curtis Granderson of the Tigers, the Yankees "really want" the 28-year-old center-fielder.

If the Tigers are truly listening to offers for Granderson, the Yankees will be near the top of the list of potential suitors. The Bombers are correct to consider younger alternatives for their outfield while 36-year-old Johnny Damon tests free agency. Granderson is owed $25.75 million over the next three seasons, with a $13 million club option for 2013.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter

If the Yankees are involved...shoot for the moon, start asking at the top of the totem pole with Jesus Montero and the like....and hope that any deal includes Austin Jackson so we have a replacement center fielder....

If the Yankees really want Granderson, I really want Phil Hughes on the Tigers.

What kind of package would Granderson & Jackson bring from the Yankees? I don't know their farm system at all.....

Who do the Tigers have that is as good as Sherrill right now?

Sherrill is a reliever who's had two great years and sucked every other year in his career, he'll also be 33 years old.

I don't think it's crazy to suggest that the Tigers could very well have multiple relievers better than him next year, and even if they don't it's highly unlikely they'll compete until 2011 when he'd be 34 and the Tigers young relievers would have another year to mature

I hate, hate, hate ever trading for relief pitching unless it's a YOUNG elite guy, Sherrill is just pointless. If we wanted that production you could have just signed a Saito or Wagner for a year.

I mentioned this in another thread, I hope DD is patient making a deal for Jackson, he will become more and more attractive to other teams as alternatives disappear.

Agreed, and also for Granderson or really anyone else. If the Tigers are open to trading these guys, they shouldn't make the mistake of locking in on on one specific player/team and wind up overpaying themselves (i.e. Renteria).

These are good players - spark some bidding competition and either maximize the return or else keep them.

What kind of package would Granderson & Jackson bring from the Yankees? I don't know their farm system at all.....

Personally, if the Tigers are looking to move both Jackson and Granderson, I'd rather they split them up. I think they'd get a better collective return that way.

If the Yankees are involved...shoot for the moon, start asking at the top of the totem pole with Jesus Montero and the like....and hope that any deal includes Austin Jackson so we have a replacement center fielder....

Hughes-Jackson-Montero for Grandy.

I hate, hate, hate ever trading for relief pitching unless it's a YOUNG elite guy, Sherrill is just pointless. If we wanted that production you could have just signed a Saito or Wagner for a year.

I agree. But I'm not sure they have anyone who could have done as well as Sherrill did last year.

I'm still waiting to see all this alleged young relief talent the Tigers have.

The Yanks would probably not give up their best prospect, Montero, but Austin Jackson could be had. He is a CF'er who played at AAA last season. A good athlete with solid baseball skills, his plate discipline is a little weak and he hasn't shown much power yet. They would have to give up a young pitcher and Hughes could be had. They also have a couple of "project" in the minors. A 6-10 former 1st rounder who is looking more like a bust and a 6-7 righty from NY high school who is showing promise.

I am not sure the Tigers get back good value from the Yanks if they trade both jacksona nd Granderson. If jsut one player is traded, then I see a good chance to get enough value back.

Granderson would be huge in New York. He'd hit 40 homers in that band box and with his personality the New York media would build him up the same way they do Jeter. Yes, ask for the moon if the Yankees want him and don't settle for less.

Would the board trade Edwin Jackson and Granderson for Hughes-Montero-Jackson?

Definitely not.

The Tigers shouldn't be in a rush to trade for a closer, unless they know that both Lyon and Rodney will be taking a walk. I'd make some effort to re-sign Lyon, but some team may decide to overpay him based off his fine 2009 numbers.

Any experienced relief pitchers should be brought in short-term, because we have a lot of young talent there.

No.

I'd have to pause for more than a few seconds and consider it strongly.