JonBenke

MLB Winter Meetings/Granderson Jackson Trade Thread

I thought we could have one thread for all the "hot stove" action. Not for the transactions .. of course, but one place where we can discuss all the rumors.

Trade speculation will surely heat up the next few days, mostly around such names as Edwin Jackson, Curtis Granderson, Gerald Laird, among others...

...though I think it's safe to assume that Miguel Cabrera isn't going anywhere!

crawford for granderson is an intriguing idea, but i just don't see crawford signing here without getting a taste of free agency. so, it would basically end up being one year and out!

I hate, hate, hate the idea of George Sherrill coming in a trade. The Tigers can do better from within right now. The idea of major league ready is all fine and dandy, but the Tigers need a fix of talent right now. BA has them as the #24 organization right now, with the huge glaring weakness an overall lack of athleticism. They can address that come draft time, and also pick up some young/cheap bats with some defensive ability. The Tigers should be on the verge of getting really good help from their organization in the bullpen. No need to waste more resources, when they already spent plenty of resources from previous drafts. End of rant.

Grandy for Crawford would be the biggest heist since acquiring Polanco. If DD could EVER pull that off, then he'd be forgiven for at least the Nate extension.

No way I see it happening still however. Oh no, I'm getting pulled into the whole speculation BS.

Grandy for Crawford would be the biggest heist since acquiring Polanco. If DD could EVER pull that off, then he'd be forgiven for at least the Nate extension.

No way I see it happening still however. Oh no, I'm getting pulled into the whole speculation BS.

I can see it happening. From a money point of view it would solidify the Rays for the next couple of years. They also have a ss (Brignac) who would interest the Tigers. There would have to be more pieces thrown in but the essentials are there.

My prediction: Jackson and Laird are traded. Granderson stays. I never took the Cabrera rumors seriously.

If the Tigers strike a deal with the Dodgers which swaps bad contracts, I won't mind the Tigers acquring Juan Pierre. Yes, I know he doesn't hit for power. But he's shown a great attitude in Los Angeles. I remember reading the article linked below on the day it was published last year. Thought I'd post it for everyone's consideration. There is more to a player than stats.

Dodgers' Juan Pierre playing, and acting, like a pro - Los Angeles Times

What type of value do you think some of our OF prospects hold ie Thomas, Wells, etc?

Maybe the deal Dombrowski makes involved one of them + a pitching prospect to bring in a SS prospect that is major league ready. Add a SS that way then it probably makes dealing Jackson easier because we wouldnt be looking to fill specific holes other than bullpen help.

What type of value do you think some of our OF prospects hold ie Thomas, Wells, etc?

Maybe the deal Dombrowski makes involved one of them + a pitching prospect to bring in a SS prospect that is major league ready. Add a SS that way then it probably makes dealing Jackson easier because we wouldnt be looking to fill specific holes other than bullpen help.

Unless you find a team that views Thomas/Wells/Scram as more than fourth outfielders, Ramirez as a guy that can actually translate all his tools, or Boesch as a guy that will actually make enough contact to translate his power, then I don't think any of them carry a ton of trade value.

makes dealing Jackson easier because we wouldnt be looking to fill specific holes other than bullpen help.

Unless we want a chance to compete this season in which case any trade of Jackson would require us aquiring an at least league average starter in return or via FA.

My prediction: Jackson and Laird are traded. Granderson stays. I never took the Cabrera rumors seriously.

This would be ideal.

I hate, hate, hate the idea of George Sherrill coming in a trade. The Tigers can do better from within right now. The idea of major league ready is all fine and dandy, but the Tigers need a fix of talent right now. BA has them as the #24 organization right now, with the huge glaring weakness an overall lack of athleticism. They can address that come draft time, and also pick up some young/cheap bats with some defensive ability. The Tigers should be on the verge of getting really good help from their organization in the bullpen. No need to waste more resources, when they already spent plenty of resources from previous drafts. End of rant.

Who do the Tigers have that is as good as Sherrill right now?

Crawford for Granderson would be a mistake, IMO. I think they will provide similar production, but one is signed for 3 more years with an option for a 4th, the other is going to be a FA in a season.

Plus, I have no idea what that would accomplish for the Tigers.

Who do the Tigers have that is as good as Sherrill right now?

That's not the question IMO. The question is how does Sherrill provide the Tigers a better chance to win than having Jackson does since they will both cost about the same.

Duplicate post - also in the EJ thread

4) Do the Yankees have their eye on the Tigers?

Detroit GM Dave Dombrowski will be a popular man this week, as teams will be sure to inquire about Curtis Granderson, Edwin Jackson and other potential trade targets. The Yankees are interested in both players, though Jackson - a 26-year-old righthander who had a breakout season in 2009 - is the most intriguing.

He could be a much cheaper alternative if they opt not to trade for Halladay, and while he doesn't have the same track record, he is six years younger than the Toronto ace

As winter meetings begin, Yankees GM Brian Cashman might not shop pricey free agents

Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets the "early market" for free agent reliever Kevin Gregg: the Rays, Nationals, Tigers, and Rockies. I imagine Gregg will get a one-year deal for less than the $4.2MM he earned in 2009. The 31-year-old improved his control a bit and whiffed more than a batter per inning, but allowed 13 home runs in 68.6 innings and lost the Cubs' closing job to Carlos Marmol.

With the Tigers and Rockies, the arbitration decisions of Brandon Lyon, Fernando Rodney, and Rafael Betancourt will be reached tonight, perhaps clearing the way for Gregg.

Four Teams Interested In Kevin Gregg?: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

That's not the question IMO. The question is how does Sherrill provide the Tigers a better chance to win than having Jackson does since they will both cost about the same.

I didn't ask it in those terms. Cruzer said the Tigers had better internal options than Sherrill right now. I'd like to know who the Tigers have who is better than Sherrill because I don't think they have anyone who is.

On YOUR question, I agree, I would be pissed if all they got for Jackson was Sherrill. Or Jackson and Guillen for Pierre and Sherrill. I think I'd throw up if that happened.

If the Tigers came out of the winter meetings adding Sherrill, Pierre and Gregg while losing Jackson and Guillen, I really think I'd start planning for a summer overseas, because there would be no reason to watch Tigers baseball next year.

Well, other than seeing how high their first round draft pick would be. Hmmm...kind of like Lions football...

This move would be absolutely gut-wrenching, vomit-inducing. There's not really much more to say about it without swearing.

Kornacki suggests packaging Jackson and Carlos Guillen to bring Pierre and George Sherrill to Detroit.

Tigers Notes: Needs, Cabrera, Jackson, Granderson: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Kornacki is like your idiot brother in law who doesn't have a job, who writes something stupid because he doesn't do enough homework or know enough to make sense. Since he replced Knobler tell me one single thing he has wirtten or broke that demonstrated he knows anything, he writes from Baltimore and treats the job like it's a part time gig. Ignore suggestions by Kornacki, Henning is Gamons compared to Kornacki.