hueytaxi

VT, new report

I can understand the outrage from the families point of view. Some of the actions are indefensible, & somebody should lose their job over this. I'd start with the guy who decided to cancel the garbage collection before notifying students & staff.

The biggest lesson to take from this, I think, is that any act of violence has the potential to escalate quickly into mass murder. There must have been an assumption that the initial shooting was targeted toward a single person, and that assumption should never be made.

Any facility with large numbers of people must have an aggressive reaction to any "shots fired" reports, and I pray that lessons were learned from this - and the lesson won't be forgotten anytime soon. It's up to us in terms of keeping the memory of this horrible day alive, to avoid as many senseless killings as possible in the future.

I'm not going to comment on the outcome of the rewrite, but I will say that we have become aware ("we" being families of the victims) that many other schools and universities have stepped up efforts to communicate with students and faculty on any kind of event but particular threatening events. I can definitely say that my alma mater had an article in it's quarterly magazine about the efforts they have made to improve communications and how they even had to redo part of it because a small area of campus had difficulty in clearly hearing the warning.