wingnut736

Matt Stafford vs. Mark Sanchez

Another thing to think about is that Stafford is three years younger than Sanchez and is the youngest player in the league.

Another thing to think about is that Stafford is three years younger than Sanchez and is the youngest player in the league.

Good point.

Uh, what? Sanchez 1 year and 3 months older and Kenny Britt is younger than Stafford. So is Aaron Maybin, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Vonte Davis, and Chris Wells. That's just the other 1st rounders who are younger. Did you just make those "facts" up?

Good point.

Actually it's a terrible point because it's not true.

Edited by sagnam

Uh, what? Sanchez 1 year and 3 months older and Kenny Britt is younger than Stafford. So is Aaron Maybin, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Vonte Davis, and Chris Wells. That's just the other 1st rounders who are younger. Did you just make those "facts" up?

Actually it's a terrible point because it's not true.

Whoops. The Mark Sanchez one was a mistake. I thought he was 24. The other one was just a miswording. I meant, youngest starting quarterback. Way to be a jerk though.

Whoops. The Mark Sanchez one was a mistake. I thought he was 24. The other one was just a miswording. I meant, youngest starting quarterback. Way to be a jerk though.

I really don't think I was being a jerk. You stated two facts that were completely false. Neither seemed possible to me so I did a quick fact check. I could give you example of being a jerk, but there's no point. Just try doing your due diligence before making claims to support your point of view.

I really don't think I was being a jerk. You stated two facts that were completely false. Neither seemed possible to me so I did a quick fact check. I could give you example of being a jerk, but there's no point. Just try doing your due diligence before making claims to support your point of view.

Okay. I don't really have a point of view. I was just throwing a few things out there to add to the conversation. Like I said, the Sanchez one was way off. I don't know why I thought he was that old. The other one was just a mistype that I wrote in my haste. I interpreted your post as more combatitive than it was intended to be. All's well.

Stafford now firmly ensconced as the third lowest rated passer in the league by FO.

Luckily FO is completely irrelevant.

Irrelevant to what?

Irrelevant to how Stafford will progress as the Lions' QB? Yes.

Irrelevant to his potential? Yes.

However, it's very relevant to how he's played this season, which, when compared to his peers, is poor. He's a rookie on one of the worst teams in the league (if not THE worst), everyone should expect him to do poorly when compared to other QBs. And everyone should recognize that he has done poorly.

I will say that he's looked better this season than I thought he would.

As the resident Jets fan I'll defend my boy...while he definitely fumbles too much, he has 12 of his 17 INT's in 3 games. As far as I"m concerned, most of the fault for that that lies with the coaching staff, particularly the 5 he threw in the Buffalo game. There is no way you have a rookie QB continue to air it out and take chances when he's thrown 2 INT's already much less 3 or 4. In that Buffalo game we were running all over them, with 300+ yards...what the F are you doing throwing the ball at all when you've already thrown multiple interceptions??? At the end of the day, Sanchez has 8 of 12 games with 1 or fewer INT's, while Stafford has 4 of 10 games with 1 or fewer. Sanchez has 5 TO free games to Stafford having 2. Sanchez has 1 fewer TO in 3 more games. Sanchez has only 200 fewer passing yards in 80 fewer attempts.

In the end though, both QB's are showing that they have the where-with-all to be solid QB's for their teams for many years to come and it's silly to try and decide which one is going to be the better QB now. It's not as if it's Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning where it's clear one's going to be a star and the other is going to be arrested for selling drugs(c'mon we all knew that was gonna happen). Both teams should be very excited for their QB's future.

As the resident Jets fan I'll defend my boy...while he definitely fumbles too much, he has 12 of his 17 INT's in 3 games. As far as I"m concerned, most of the fault for that that lies with the coaching staff, particularly the 5 he threw in the Buffalo game. There is no way you have a rookie QB continue to air it out and take chances when he's thrown 2 INT's already much less 3 or 4. In that Buffalo game we were running all over them, with 300+ yards...what the F are you doing throwing the ball at all when you've already thrown multiple interceptions??? At the end of the day, Sanchez has 8 of 12 games with 1 or fewer INT's, while Stafford has 4 of 10 games with 1 or fewer. Sanchez has 5 TO free games to Stafford having 2. Sanchez has 1 fewer TO in 3 more games. Sanchez has only 200 fewer passing yards in 80 fewer attempts.

In the end though, both QB's are showing that they have the where-with-all to be solid QB's for their teams for many years to come and it's silly to try and decide which one is going to be the better QB now. It's not as if it's Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning where it's clear one's going to be a star and the other is going to be arrested for selling drugs(c'mon we all knew that was gonna happen). Both teams should be very excited for their QB's future.

Except Sanchez has the #1 rushing offense in the league and a great offensive line.

Stafford has started 2 less games and only thrown under 30 times in a game once and that's because he was taken out of that game...Sanchez has thrown over 30 times twice. Marky has been put in a position to win and has struggled where as Matty doesn't have much to work with and he's basically been handed the team and told to do what he can.

Call me a homer...but Stafford has done a lot more with less talent around him.

Marky has been put in a position to win and has struggled where as Matty doesn't have much to work with and he's basically been handed the team and told to do what he can

... and struggled. So what have we learned? They've both struggled.

Except Sanchez has the #1 rushing offense in the league and a great offensive line.

Stafford has started 2 less games and only thrown under 30 times in a game once and that's because he was taken out of that game...Sanchez has thrown over 30 times twice. Marky has been put in a position to win and has struggled where as Matty doesn't have much to work with and he's basically been handed the team and told to do what he can.

Call me a homer...but Stafford has done a lot more with less talent around him.

So what's you're basically doing is making an excuse for why Stafford's played like garbage and saying "my guy has a better reason for sucking".

As I've stated, Sanchez has had 4 bad games, compared to 6 poor games from Stafford (2 INT's or more) in fewer appearances. Fine, Sanchez has a better team and hasn't had to try and do as much. One could venture to say that had Sanchez been forced to throw as often he'd have 2600 yards passing based on his YPC average to go with 14 TD's and 21 INT's. Let's also keep in mind that because of the running game Sanchez never got to pad his TD stats in games against poor teams like Oakland the way Stafford did against Cleveland. Let's keep in mind that without that game it's not even a debate about which player has looked better. You can't say that about any one game Sanchez. Sanchez also never floundered against terrible teams like St. Louis. It's also notable to remember that Sanchez has had his best games against two above .500 teams, in the Pats and the Texans.

As for the O-Line statement, Staffords only been sacked 1 out of every 15.7 attempts while Sanchez is getting sacked 1 out of every 13.5, so I'm not sure that works here.

At the end of the day, I'm not making a case that either has shown themselves to be better or worse than the other. They've both had their shining moments, they've both had their duds. I don't think you can point to which trajectory will be higher based on either's play this year.

I really don't care what Sanchez has done, but to this point Stafford has done little from a production standpoint to say he's clearly the answer for the Lions' job. He's shown some character, leadership (I guess that's a little redundant), willingness to play through pain and had a good game or two, but generally he's had a really lousy season. Are there reasons for it? Sure. Does it mean he can't be a good/great QB in the future? Of course not. But the facts lie where they lie. He hasn't been that good.

I really don't care what Sanchez has done, but to this point Stafford has done little from a production standpoint to say he's clearly the answer for the Lions' job. He's shown some character, leadership (I guess that's a little redundant), willingness to play through pain and had a good game or two, but generally he's had a really lousy season. Are there reasons for it? Sure. Does it mean he can't be a good/great QB in the future? Of course not. But the facts lie where they lie. He hasn't been that good.

Completely agree. Though, I do think that some people's expectations were a little too high (including my own, I was hoping for a 1:1 TD:INT ratio). Rookie quarterbacks not named Matt Ryan or Ben Roethlisberger tend to struggle and throw a lot of interceptions. Those two had the benefit of a winning team and a good running game which allowed them to manage the game. Rookie QBs should not be asked to throw the ball almost 40 times a game. It's setting him up for failure.

Stafford has had a lousy season, but he's shown signs that he can be the quarterback of the future. I'm hoping that he can take another step forward next season and maybe have that 1:1 TD:INT season that I expected from him this season.

Rookie QBs should not be asked to throw the ball almost 40 times a game. It's setting him up for failure.

Staffords line looks alot like Brett Favres line when Brett was age 24 (in his 3rd NFL season). Favre played 2 games in his rookie season with the Falcons - I think he threw something like 6 passes. Stafford is age 21. Joey Harrington didn't play a game until he was almost 24 years old. Any QB the Lions draft is going to take probably 3 years before they start to show some promise. At least we got one year out of the way. I am getting old here and would like to see the Lions in the playoffs again someday.

I had a problem with Schwarz playing Stafford so much and keeping him in late in lopsided games. That was until I saw Culpepper play. Now I understand why he left Stafford in.

So what's you're basically doing is making an excuse for why Stafford's played like garbage and saying "my guy has a better reason for sucking".

No, I'm making a statement that he's had to do more with less thus throwing his stats off

As I've stated, Sanchez has had 4 bad games, compared to 6 poor games from Stafford (2 INT's or more) in fewer appearances. Fine, Sanchez has a better team and hasn't had to try and do as much. One could venture to say that had Sanchez been forced to throw as often he'd have 2600 yards passing based on his YPC average to go with 14 TD's and 21 INT's. Let's also keep in mind that because of the running game Sanchez never got to pad his TD stats in games against poor teams like Oakland the way Stafford did against Cleveland.

Pad his stats??? I'm curious as to how you pad your stats when your coming from behind and winning the game on the last play...you pad your stats in garbage time, not when your marching down the field winning the game.

Let's keep in mind that without that game it's not even a debate about which player has looked better. You can't say that about any one game Sanchez. Sanchez also never floundered against terrible teams like St. Louis. It's also notable to remember that Sanchez has had his best games against two above .500 teams, in the Pats and the Texans.

Against St. Loius Stafford threw 6 passes that were dropped...it's not his fault his recievers can't hold onto the ball. I was at that game, he was making the right reads and was placing the ball well.

As for the O-Line statement, Staffords only been sacked 1 out of every 15.7 attempts while Sanchez is getting sacked 1 out of every 13.5, so I'm not sure that works here.

It actually speaks volumes for Stafford's ability to get rid of the ball. You don't have to get sacked to have the defensive rush effect your game. Look at the last Vikings game, he was hit or hurried near 70% of the time...he's running around and making plays in the backfield with no help from his recievers or line a lot of the time.

At the end of the day, I'm not making a case that either has shown themselves to be better or worse than the other. They've both had their shining moments, they've both had their duds. I don't think you can point to which trajectory will be higher based on either's play this year.

Then what was this rant about?

Not sure that counts as a rant. I don't think you can find a single sentence in any of my posts that say anything resembling "Sanchez is the better QB" This whole thread was about how Stafford was better so I just wanted the other side to be heard, and to defend Sanchez' play.

You should be able to pad your stats when you play against terrible teams. The fact that you were behind in that game is a very sad statement about your team but still, Cleveland's defense is pathetic and throwing 5 TD's and 400+ yards is great but keep it in perspective.

Look, if you want to keep up the idea that Stafford is clearly the better QB now and forever more simply because their stats are similar while the Lions are the worse team, go for yours. that and $1.90 will get you a cup o' joe at DnD.

All that said, I think it's pretty damn obvious that Stafford blows and Sanchise is HOF bound

Mark Sanchez is currently 6th in the NFL in QB rating, with 6 TDs and 0 INTs.

He's been really good. No doubt about that. I'm not jumping on the "We should have drafted Sanchez," "Stafford is a bust," yada yada bandwagons, but he's been surprisingly good. He's definately ahead of Stafford at this point, but I still have faith in our guy to even the gap. He needs to stay healthy. Simple as that.

Mark Sanchez is currently 6th in the NFL in QB rating, with 6 TDs and 0 INTs.

That's pretty good. He does have the benefit of a rock solid defense that always keeps his team in the game, but there's no denying the stats...he hasn't made the costly interception at crucial points. Plus, he has Santonio Holmes coming in after week 5 to give him yet another weapon. The Jets are serious contenders, no doubt.

This argument has no merit. Do you think Sanchez would be looking as good as he is behind the Lions dreadful O-Line? There is no question Sanchez is a good QB, but there is no way to compare between him and Stafford, Stafford plays for the Lions.