wingnut736

Matt Stafford vs. Mark Sanchez

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Again, the refs missed not one but two calls. They called the penalty. It wasn't even that they simply missed it and didn't call it. You have two good teams. Of course it will be close. Dallas could do the same thing and find a play where Romo could have made a different throw. The refs decided the outcome of this game. I haven't even got into the holding Dallas was doing on Suh when they scored the go ahead TD. Speaking of which, the Lions still had the lead after that play and the defense gave up the game winning TD. Since we're playing this game, all the defense had to do was get one more stop.

Ok, so you'd rather put the game it the hands of the refs rather than your best player who also happens to be one of the greatest WRs that ever lived?  Interesting strategy. 

8 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Ok, so you'd rather put the game it the hands of the refs rather than your best player who also happens to be one of the greatest WRs that ever lived?  Interesting strategy. 

I would rather the refs accurately call the game. Enforce the penalty they called.

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would rather the refs accurately call the game. Enforce the penalty they called.

See, I'd rather the "franchise" QB make the correct throw to the wide open HOF WR and win the ******* game rather than hoping the refs make the call.  That's where the winners differ from the losers.

And this is where I part from the conversation.

Everyone should want the correct read and throw made every time.

That written, nobody makes the correct read and throw every time.  Simplistically, the difference between a good and bad quarterback is how frequently the correct read is made and throw is executed.

Last night, Stafford stunk as badly as any game I have seen him play.

Over a long period of time, Stafford has been above to well above league average QB.  There are reasons why the Lions have been mediocre to worse.  Some has to do with Stafford, a lot does not.

Stafford is not Rodgers or Brady, nor do I think he ever will be.  That written, they aren't getting those guys, so unless you think you can get a better QB, the point is moot.

With an average supporting cast, I have no reason to believe Matthew could not or would not win a play-off game.  There have been far worse QBs who have won Super Bowls.

• Thanks 1

I thought this was interesting: (Maybe it will explain why the offense has struggled several times under Jim Bob over the past dozen or so games)  947796775_ScreenShot2018-09-11at2_05_20PM.thumb.png.1db6c8b497c444bbddecd2770d38e32d.png

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Everyone should want the correct read and throw made every time.

That written, nobody makes the correct read and throw every time.  Simplistically, the difference between a good and bad quarterback is how frequently the correct read is made and throw is executed.

We could go back to that game and look at every incomplete pass from Romo and say he could have made this read or that read and won the game. Two good teams were playing in a playoff game. You expect it to be close a major error on a penalty call decided the game.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

We could go back to that game and look at every incomplete pass from Romo and say he could have made this read or that read and won the game. Two good teams were playing in a playoff game. You expect it to be close a major error on a penalty call decided the game.

Speaking of which, we can go to their next game where they got screwed on a call in Green Bay.

Frankly, I don't even give a ****.

He's a B grade QB who played like a E grade QB last night.

This bumping gums about not winning a play-off game or not having a good enough record or this call should have been made or that read made is tired, IMO.  We have all heard it.  Both sides of it.

We are all frustrated by the Lions lack of progress.

Last night or last season or whatever does nothing to change any of that except perpetuate it.

On second thought, maybe this season will demonstrate Caldwell wasn't as bad as some suggested.  I don't know.

51 minutes ago, jb84 said:

I know. When someone schools you on a forum,  best to get personal. Go F yourself dumb azz

i take it back, make it 15 years old.  takes a few years to develop those language skills.

Watch Tweedledum and Tweedledee run Stafford off, like the franchise ran off Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, so they can “build something sustainable.” 

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, Jason_R said:

Watch Tweedledum and Tweedledee run Stafford off, like the franchise ran off Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, so they can “build something sustainable.” 

Yes, because QBs have very little hand in who wins the game.

I mean they only touch the ball every single offensive snap and decide where the ball goes, but other than that, they have no say in things.  

I would rather not have to pay a turnover machine 27 million a year and get a cheaper QB that protects the ball and then spend that money on quality players at other positions.

It’s like a 75 million dollar cap hit if Stanford is traded. 

Matthew Stafford had the 10th best int rate in the NFL last season. That was better than QB's such as Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo and Ben Rothelisberger. Literally every QB making more than Stafford turned the ball over more but Stafford is a turnover machine. 

Matthew Stafford does have a large hand in how many games this team wins. They aren't a 9 win team without Stafford. No other QB is winning division championships with the running game in the NFL and a bottom 10 defense. 

People can't have it both ways, you can't complain about how bad the Lions ownership is, GM has been, coaching has been, running game has been, defense etc. etc. then go and fault Stafford for not winning a playoff game.   There might be a handful of QBs in the history of football that could win under those circumstances.   

You tell any QB that you're not going to give them time to throw cause your OL sucks, be prepared for the defense to know what you're doing because we can't run the ball to keep them off balance, our scheme's are predictable so be prepared for your receivers to not have any separation and oh yeah our defense is terrible so make sure you score so we can keep up and see how they like that.  Have them deal with that and see how many of them perform as well as Stafford has. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 8:53 PM, RandyMarsh said:

People can't have it both ways, you can't complain about how bad the Lions ownership is, GM has been, coaching has been, running game has been, defense etc. etc. then go and fault Stafford for not winning a playoff game.   There might be a handful of QBs in the history of football that could win under those circumstances.   

You tell any QB that you're not going to give them time to throw cause your OL sucks, be prepared for the defense to know what you're doing because we can't run the ball to keep them off balance, our scheme's are predictable so be prepared for your receivers to not have any separation and oh yeah our defense is terrible so make sure you score so we can keep up and see how they like that.  Have them deal with that and see how many of them perform as well as Stafford has. 

yep

I heard and interesting stat the other day.  Haven't had a chance yet to verify it, but it was a radio show guy stating, not some random caller.

The stat is that Stafford is 7-0 in games where one of the Lions RBs ran for at least 100 yards.

Now, two things there: 1: It shows how terrible the Lions running game has been since Stafford was drafted if he's only started SEVEN games with a 100 yard rusher.  2: It shows that when there's a decent running attack it helps the team win.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It also shows team run more when they are ahead.

This is true... it isn't a perfect stat.  It's entirely possible that those seven games just saw the Lions with a huge lead and so they ran it more to run down the clock.